Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Backline
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Backline Gear, software, plugins, samples, IRs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
ptgeek911

Mother of all metal amps

Ive been thinking lately that my Mesa Mark IV is not cutting it anymore. I put a Maxon OD808 in front of it and I'm still not satisfied(Dont get me wrong, this amp is one of the best Ive had, but for in your face metal, Im not happy). People have been telling me to check out the Engl Powerball. What do you guys use for balls to the wall metal? Im also interested in hearing this new VHT Deliverance head. What does Andy use on most of his recordings?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jackal_Strain
Sigurd Løberg

5150, dual rectumfryer, krank... and the list goes on...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ermz
¯\(°_o)/¯

Had a shootout recently of a:

Peavey JSX
Peavey 6505+
ENGL Powerball
Mesa Triple Rectifier

And the rectifier blew everyones' heads off. Unbelievable metal amp. I always tend to favor the Mesa gear. If you like the character of the Mark IV, it may be a logical step to check out the rectifiers.
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
RootBoundApollo

I dig my Krank Revolution a lot. Andy used Kranks on the newest Arch Enemy and Nevermore albums and those are probably my two favorite heavy guitar tones that I've ever heard
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mood Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBoundApollo View Post
I dig my Krank Revolution a lot. Andy used Kranks on the newest Arch Enemy and Nevermore albums and those are probably my two favorite heavy guitar tones that I've ever heard
+1 those two are why I have a Revolution...

I enjoy playing my Revolution as much or more than any I have.

Clips

Last edited by Mood Bender : January 27th, 2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
KeithRT99
BOOSH.

rectos were also used on doomsday machine and TGE
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
TheDude
Jocke Skog

Take any PODxt, set output to "Stack Pwramp", plug it into any power amplifier (+100W), and connect it to your favourite 4x12.

You can get any tone from Bitch Boys to Meshuggah, if you practise the tweaking a tad.

Founder, member and technical director of the band Clawfinger (http://www.clawfinger.net)

I'm using awesome gear, and one day I'll list it all.
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
s34nsm411

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Take any PODxt, set output to "Stack Pwramp", plug it into any power amplifier (+100W), and connect it to your favourite 4x12.

You can get any tone from Bitch Boys to Meshuggah, if you practise the tweaking a tad.
please dont do this
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mood Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRT99 View Post
my DR and Revolution can be dialed very similarly.

Clips
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
RootBoundApollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRT99 View Post
Truth, but the snarl on those albums seems to be a characteristic of the Krank more so than the Mesa.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
blackcom

So, Krank eh.,...end ervyone prefers the revolution over the krankenstein?
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
KillDivision

Diezel Herbert or VH4.
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
prititing
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillDivision View Post
Diezel Herbert or VH4.
+1. And the SLO.
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jackal_Strain
Sigurd Løberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillDivision View Post
Diezel Herbert or VH4.
They're too expensive! I can't justify paying that much for an amp when I can get a 5150 for a third of the price. And I think it sounds better!
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Exocaster
Nozzle

Before we go blindly recommending amps:

What are you going for tonally, and what is it you don't like about the Mark IV? What, specifically, is the Mark IV not doing for you?

If I may ask, what are your Mark IV settings? The Mark IV's controls are sort of counterintuitive compared to a more "normal" amp. It's very mid-heavy, to the point where you can't really dial out mids without the graphic EQ, and the amp's bass control adds more mud than anything past about three or four on the dial. And it's very dark without turning the treble up. Despite all these seeming "issues", the Mark IV is actually capable of a wide variety of tones due to the graphic EQ and power stage options.

I used the following settings with an EMG-loaded Jackson tuned to B or A for death metal with my Mark IV. With a boost pedal and the EMGs, it was the tightest thing going next to possibly a VHT.

Lead Channel, Full Power, Simul-class (Mesa EL34s and NOS GE 6L6GCs), Triode.

Lead gain- 8, Fat Pulled
Bass- 3
Mids- 4
Treble- 8
Lead drive- 6
Presence- varies, depending on room

Graphic EQ- Boost 80hz, cut 240hz, leave 800hz flat, boost 2200hz slightly, boost 6600hz.

Boost settings (I used a Boss SD-1): Level 5:00, tone 1:00, Gain 7:00

...and a cab with Vintage 30s.
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
ptgeek911

Thanks so much for the settings man. But I think the Mark IV is getting the boot anyway. I looked at the Krank Revolution, and it blew me away. Im going to go try to tweak the Mark IV a little more, but it looks like the Krank is what Im gunning for.
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gnash
Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

+1

Tubes man, run it through a tube head for maximum GHUN GHUN!
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
aramism

tried and true over and over again, the dual rectifier is the mighty of the mighty.

if you like the mark iv but aren't happy with the "metalness" then like moonlapse stated, you might like the dual recto.

if you can try to get one off ebay, the 2 ch dual rectifier from the early 90's has the most fabled recto sound. i have the road king series 1 myself and the ch3 on it according to mesa tech mike t. is a faithful reproduction of the 2 channels second distortion channel dubbed "orange"

it sounds great for balls metal. i also really like the "cut" you get on a road king when you engage the el34's in addition to the quad 6L6's especially in the vintage mode on ch3 with the rectifier setting to tube rectified.

sounds good with the right pups. i prefer my C tuned ibanez with dimarzio EVOS. sounds very very tight. or my ibanez 7 string with a dimarzio blaze in bridge
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mood Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgeek911 View Post
Thanks so much for the settings man. But I think the Mark IV is getting the boot anyway. I looked at the Krank Revolution, and it blew me away. Im going to go try to tweak the Mark IV a little more, but it looks like the Krank is what Im gunning for.
I'm definitely a Krank Revo fan...

Clips
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
musickey
djenital moosic

MESA RECTO!
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
aramism

i understand your dillemma but i think the mark iv is such a great amp maybe you should look harder as to why you can't get a good tone. i have one on the way it is at mesa factory getting some work done on it and i've tried them before, you can get such a powerful tone out of it. tried it on my friends 60' LP w. emg 81/85 and i've tried with my 7 string with dimarzios, it sounded pretty brutal, and i didn't even know the tonal functions of the amp that well. i've been to couple of lamb of gods concerts, during soundcheck they sound very very heavy. unless you want a more saturated gain tone in which case it's not your amp. i gues it's me, i like more "less gain" tones. even on my road king dual recto in modern mode i keep the gain around halfway. i am able to get a very very tight and focused dark sound.