Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Backline
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Backline Gear, software, plugins, samples, IRs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Torgal
guitar nerd

Thanks DeLuther for your help!
I also set my output level to unity gain, sometimes a little lower if I can't get it high enough. The ground lifts were always active to kill the 50Hz buzz.

Yesterday just before you posted I did some additional tests with the Millenium DI-E, JDI and Redeye. Honestly they all sounded pretty good and I couldn't determine a "winner". They all handle level and gain a little differently but by tweaking the amp every setup was pleasing. Only thing I noticed that it's hard to get a good amount of low end in. Any suggestions?

Every box was in some way noisy, but after I put the "Boss-Noisegate" from Guitar Rig over the original DI the noise was gone on the reamped track. As far as I can tell without any loss of quality on the reamped track. I'm also getting a different cable between audio interface and reamp box. So far I'm using an unbalanced 1m cable and I'm getting one with XLR to TRS. According to this review the old PCI-version of my interface, the ESI ESP 1010 could work balanced and unbalanced on it's output jacks. So I believe my newer version can still do that.

I'm not sure if the noise occurs only when the track is playing or in standby. I think it was there even in standby but I'll check that tonight.

So for all of it's features I'm going to get(keep) the Redeye (most probably).

So here's a little bit of audio for you to hear the current state of my progress. I've included the original DI-track for comparison.
Thank you all for your contribution and please comment on the audio files!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
deLuther

It will be interesting to see frequency response of this "reampers" (because some cases are DI in reverse, not actually reamp-boxes) into same Hi-Z input...
Maybe there is some lack of low end response.
I`m have relatively flat frequency response with my modified Radial ProRMP:

Radial ProRMP modification
But better to see with extended plot range:

Stock ProRMP have almost V1 mod response, only lower output level.

Last edited by deLuther : December 29th, 2011 at 04:08 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Torgal
guitar nerd

Hm, I doubt that's the case, because all boxes prety much sounded "neutral" and I haven't ever heared anybody complain about the Redeyes Low-End response.
What I did notice is that when reamping only trough the preamp (via FxSend) you cut out presence and countour controllers and depth boost buttons etc. This way you're lacking all the options of the poweramp to color the sound.
Is there a way around this?

Edit: I've seen the low end drop on your Pro RMP is around 50Hz and we usually cut the guitars at 60-70Hz to make room for the bassguitar. So this won't affect me nagatively. Maybe I wasn't precise about "low-end". I'm going to check the frequencies and find out where exactly my "low end" sits.

Last edited by Torgal : December 29th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
deLuther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgal View Post
Only thing I noticed that it's hard to get a good amount of low end in.
Maybe I did not understood this sentence right
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Torgal
guitar nerd

Yeah my bad.

I'm relatively new to all the engineering stuff so I'm probably abusing one or the other technical term on my adventurous journey through the recording rabit hole.
In my own words I would describe it as low punch, growl, voluminous body, hairy balls.

The "thing" I'm going for is more present on the LeGion Vst-track.

Does that make any sense listening to the files?
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Torgal
guitar nerd

I put my hiss/noise question into the big reamping thread along with some sample files.

As promised I examined the frequencies on the reamped tracks and the LeGion VST track and there is a drop
from around 250Hz to 500Hz. The top one is the Marshall and below that's the vst plugins. So maybe this
is the section where the "big hairy balls" are situated. Can I simply EQ that back up and be fine?

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Siguros

Skip to 00:21 on all of the tracks, H, I and J all have a bit of noise/hiss at this point. G and K don't though.

Is that the problem you're talking about? Sounds like a cable is moving, or just due to them being cheaper boxes I'm not sure.