Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Backline
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Backline Gear, software, plugins, samples, IRs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
schwinginbatman
It's shittay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSedna View Post
Now that I think of it, any of you guys think the reacomp sucks ? I dont know if it's because of its GUI that makes my workflow use it a dumb way, but I hate anything I get from it. Not that I need it when I have ssl/1176/la2a, but still.

By the way, I don't know why they stick to a generic UI for their main plugins, I would gladly pay to have a GUI ala stillwell for them. It would also help make it less ugly overall. Btw, there is Event Horizon in the JS plugins. It's only missing a few things compared to the one you can buy on stillwell's store.

Any of you use the matrix intensively ? I think it's powerful but in a mix situation I never use it ?

Oh and, one of the most awesome things in reaper is that a track is a track, period. Then you deal with the information that goes through it wether it is midi or audio or even both at the same time, but that flexibility makes it so simple.

That RADO theme seems beautiful. Exactly what I'm after, I'll try it when I have time (on phone ATM)
The JS section of the plugins is still, even after more than year, still scary to me. So much stuff in there. I found Major Tom in there, it may not be the exact Major Tom I almost bought, but I still want to try it out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
AudioGeekZine
arsehole know-it-all

If you couldn't tell from my posts on The Reaper Blog, I am a big fan. It has come so far in such a short time. It is starting to get much more notice from pros and press.
Could not wrap my head around it back in 2007 or 2008, or 2009 but when I saw what Adam Wathan was doing with REAPER, essentially replacing Pro Tools I dove in and really started to love REAPER.

I really don't miss much about Pro Tools, other than the money invested in it or the time spent troubleshooting, wish I could get that back.

Would really like some included instruments like those in Pro Tools or creative MIDI tools like Cubase 5 introduced (loopmash and beat designer) but otherwise I could not be happier with this DAW.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
t-rave

Love it!!

It's super powerful and efficient, but also somewhat unintuitive and overly complex until you start to build your own shortcuts and macros..

I "liked" reaper until I bought these videos

http://www.groove3.com/str/reaper-4-explained.html

after running through Kenny's amazing and concise tutorials I discovered so many valuable tools I would have never known existed...these tutorials are must have!
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Shinozoku
Senior Memory

REAPER is the only thing I know Aside from Adobe Audition, but I'm more familiar with Reaper.

Still trying to figure out how to make ReaVerb make a good delay, and how to properly use a compressor O.o Anyone up for doing an in-depth ReaComp tutorial for Dummies?
It's 2011, it's 24 bit, back off your levels and enjoy the headroom!
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
AudioGeekZine
arsehole know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinozoku View Post
REAPER is the only thing I know Aside from Adobe Audition, but I'm more familiar with Reaper.

Still trying to figure out how to make ReaVerb make a good delay, and how to properly use a compressor O.o Anyone up for doing an in-depth ReaComp tutorial for Dummies?
good idea, I'll try to make some videos explaining all the basic plugins.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
Laozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by if6was9 View Post
Used it for recording, syncing audio to video, my live guitar rig, and a few times I've ran FULL FOH and monitors off it for gigs.
Wow! Please tell me more about that live mixing with reaper! How did you build up your rig? How to handle with latency? What plugins used, reaperīs own or other? I believe that in future livemixtechs only bring their laptop and maybe couple of pre amps to the consert place, which haveīs already full mixing controller with midi. I have seen it already one time. It was mac pro with some program called multimix, or multitrack or something. Anyway he used waves plugins and mixed tracks went back to houseīs LS9. It sounded awesome.
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Shinozoku
Senior Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGeekZine View Post
good idea, I'll try to make some videos explaining all the basic plugins.
Thanks, man! If you look up any beginner tuts for Reaper on youtube, all you get is stuff that assumes everyone already knows how to use stuff like knees, and stereo width controls, etc.

I will gladly subscribe to your vids when you make them
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
JonWormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWormwood View Post
Reacomp isn't that bad at all. Reaxcomp is also great.

And the js versions of stillwell vsts aren't as powerful and not 100% copies of their vst counter parts from my understanding. I need to do some a/b tests

Hopefully they add mouse dragging (like in midi drum mode for example that mimics cubase dragging)

It won't be an issue in a tracking situation but for Pre pro programmed drums...
holy fuck, i found out under mouse modifiers you can paint lines! Problem solved.
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
JonWormwood

We had a band practice yesterday with 16 inputs (pro fire into digimax fs) and it worked great. 3 amp sims (legion and TSE BOD) + speaker sims (kefir), eq/comp on every channel, worked great.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
JonWormwood

Had no idea you could dock toolbars like this.

Old February 16th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
Shinozoku
Senior Memory

So, has anybody checked out the Drum Reaplacer JS? I'm about to be working on my friend's band in the next month or so, and we'll need to use it due to severe lack of good (or even decent) recording equipment? We're simply recording it for a demo disk to hand out at shows, they'll get more professional tracking done somewhere else later.
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
JonWormwood

Quote:
So, has anybody checked out the Drum Reaplacer JS? I'm about to be working on my friend's band in the next month or so, and we'll need to use it due to severe lack of good (or even decent) recording equipment? We're simply recording it for a demo disk to hand out at shows, they'll get more professional tracking done somewhere else later.
It's all right, no multi support :/
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #38 (permalink)
AudioGeekZine
arsehole know-it-all

before I had Trigger I used ReaSamplematic5000. Pretty basic but works just fine.
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #39 (permalink)
AudioGeekZine
arsehole know-it-all

I posted some tutorials on the blog this week regarding stability and 32 vs 64 bit.

http://reaperblog.net
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Mutant
I hate that supercow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGeekZine View Post
I posted some tutorials on the blog this week regarding stability and 32 vs 64 bit.

http://reaperblog.net
Interesting.
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
Maybelater

I Love Reaper! Its very versatile on how I can set it up! It would really be the sh!t if it had an audio editor. I only want this because I came from Adobe Audition that has a "built in" audio editor that I still use today.

Last edited by Maybelater : February 19th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
aviel

what built in plugins in reaper do you find yourself using? i stilll havent decided if i like them. there are some really bad ones.. like the distortionand stuff. but reafir in nice

Jackson DK 2M Snowhite
ESP Eclipse
Engl Powerball
Peavy 6505
Legacy 4x12 v30
Palmer Dacappo reamp box. i do reamps, hit me up
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
JonWormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviel View Post
what built in plugins in reaper do you find yourself using? i stilll havent decided if i like them. there are some really bad ones.. like the distortionand stuff. but reafir in nice
Reaeq, reacomp, reaxcomp,
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #44 (permalink)
Drummerrrrr?

Quote:
It isn't bad for being free. Has multi-sample support thought you have to have each sample in the same .wav file, it won't read .gog or anything. Much too much latency for live triggering but it works well in mixing.
Old February 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #45 (permalink)
JonWormwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerrrrr? View Post
It isn't bad for being free. Has multi-sample support thought you have to have each sample in the same .wav file, it won't read .gog or anything. Much too much latency for live triggering but it works well in mixing.
Details on this?
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #46 (permalink)
Shinozoku
Senior Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerrrrr? View Post
I've heard it doesn't work that well in recent versions of Reaper, as it hasn't been updated. If that true in your experience?

JonWormwood: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20462
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #47 (permalink)
schwinginbatman
It's shittay!

Quote:
ReaEQ, ReaxComp, ExpressFX Delay.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #48 (permalink)
AudioGeekZine
arsehole know-it-all

Quote:
There are so many JS effects but to don't bother with them too often other than for the tone generator or some of the meters.

reaEQ, ReaComp (for ducking mostly), ReaGate, ReaDelay, reainsert get used a lot.

ReaXcomp and ReaFIR are too complicated for me
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #49 (permalink)
LeSedna
Mat or Mateo

+1 for reacomp for ducking, I don't really like it compared to 3rd party colored compressors, but it's very very easy to set up to duck the bass and works pretty well.

@JohnWormwood, how do you dock 2 toolbars in the top area of the screen ? I'd like to dock my colors toolbars but I haven't found how to do that ?
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #50 (permalink)
KHE

open the toolbar in the toolbar-docker, then hold ctrl and pull the tab to the location you want. (you have to open at least 2 toolbars in the docker to make this work if i remember correctly)

cheers!