Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Backline
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Backline Gear, software, plugins, samples, IRs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

RME FireFace 800 latency during monitoring?

How can I get rid of this? It records on time, but if I monitor it (whether it's with headphones or from the speakers) it has latency issues. I have an RME Fireface 800 running on cubase through windows 7. All the drivers are updated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
jipchen
Max

Wait, did you switch off software monitoring in Cubase? The FF800 built in monitoring through TotalMix is always (near) zero-latency monitoring. Have you tried deinstalling the drivers (and deleting all old preference files etc) and re-installing them. Also make sure you have the latest firmware. It worked fine for me on XP 32bit, W7 32 bit and OS X 10.6.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

Well I turned down the monitoring in total mix and pressed the monitoring button in cubase. This way, the vocalist could hear himself with the effects instead of a dry voice. And it's also the same when I try to connect my pod, either through analog or unbalanced inputs.
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pekka Posio
Mr. Pussy 'O

Sounds like you have too high buffer setting in cubase. It's the software that creates the latency, not Fireface.

I don't know about cubase, but it's called something like "playback buffer"/"buffer size". Scroll through your prefences and playback engine setup and you should find it. Make it 64 or 128 samples and try again if you hear the latency.

---

If I remember right, Fireface has fixed point buffer sizes, you need to go to Fireface settings (the screen where you can power on phantom 48v and stuff), and find the buffer size switch. Bigger buffer sizes increases the stability and maximum plugin count. If you make buffer too low in big sessions with many plugin, you might hear crackles and pops.

Last edited by Pekka Posio : March 19th, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

Wait so am I suppose to decrease the buffer size? Because when I'm in cubase and I go to device setup, the buffer settings are there. I noticed that it says 150??? Lol but Everytime I lower it, it gets worse!!
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

It definitely is a cubase problem because when I'm monitoring the input (through totalmix) it perfect. But when I monitor in cubase, it shits itself.
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Brett - K A L I S I A
Dreaded Moderator

You should use the Fireface's monitoring for the vocals and only monitor the reverb/delay from Cubase, it doesn't matter if the reverb has a slight pre-delay due to Cubase's latency, it's actually not a bad thing.

Old March 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

But I actually have those type of effects as inserts on a track, not on an aux track.
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pekka Posio
Mr. Pussy 'O

Try removing all the plugins and monitor the track. Do you still have the huge latency? It might be any plugin in your vocal chain, for example most autotune plugins have horrible delay which always needs to be compensated.
Old March 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

Na it's not that man. I can just monitor the di from my pod or just a dry vocal and it will still have some small latency delay
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brett - K A L I S I A
Dreaded Moderator

Then either reduce the audio card buffer size as much as you can to monitor all inside Cubase (CPU will get more hungry) or use my solution with the reverb as it should be set (on aux tracks)

Old March 19th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

It's weird because whenever I decrease the buffer size, the latency increases
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brett - K A L I S I A
Dreaded Moderator

It really shouldn't.

Old March 19th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Headof75
Somewhere in Brum

Try increasing it then!?

Recording guitar direct into cubase and monitoring with an instance of Nebula running on the track I can still achieve latencies of 4ms using my Babyface. How powerful is your CPU?

Last edited by Headof75 : March 19th, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

I have the buffer on the highest setting actually and it's better than when I decrease it. It's definitely a problem with cubase. I really don't know how strong my CPU is. Here are the specs of my computer

State Drive Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (TWO 2GB Memory Modules), Danger Den 4101 Water Cooling Kit, VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5 512MB, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 ATX MotherBoard, Sony AD-7260S 24X*

SATA Internal DVD Burner, OCZ Technology ModXStream Pro 500 Watt ATX EPS12V Modular Power Supply, Sabrent 75-in-1 7-Slot USB 2.0 Internal Memory Card Reader & Writer, Core i7 860 2.8GHz Socket 1156 Processor (Over Clocked To 3.8Ghz), WITH WINDOWS*
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

By highest do you mean highest on the list or highest in value?
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Headof75
Somewhere in Brum

With an overclocked Core i7 your latency issues should be zero...
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

I'm not sure Jeff, I think it's te highest in value. It's the one where the highest is 150. I don't know how to change the buffer settings.
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brett - K A L I S I A
Dreaded Moderator

There is no "150" value for that as far as I know. It should be ... 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, etc... Can you take a snapshot image of that and post the image here?

Old March 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

It's where u go to device setup, and where u choose your inputs and outputs. That's where it shows something that goes up to 150. Other than that I have no idea where to choose my buffer. It's cubase thats lagging, not my interface.
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

There is no 150 value, you're not adjusting the buffer setting.
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pekka Posio
Mr. Pussy 'O

This is the correct menu. You should double click the orange RME icon in your taskbar to view this menu. Right bottom corner of the screen usually.
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Charles J
Banned

thread is ridiculous, lol. Do exactly as Brett just said.... should be PERFECT. I get 2ms latency at 48 samples during tracking with NO hiccups what-so-ever.

This is with an older AMD Quad-Core Phenom (Black Edition), 4GB of RAM running on XP SP3... =D
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ground Up Studios
Nicholas Rodriguez

Ok, so i did exactly as you guys said. i found the buffer size and i decrease it to 64 on the totalmix menu. Although it did help with the latency with the RME, it didnt do anything when i turned the monitor button in cubase on. Although it may be something i can deal with when doing vocals, it frustrates me when i record with my pod. Theres a noticable delay and its very annoying. Please tell me how to fix this. Even when i monitor things like pod farm (which is a vst plugin inside my DAW), the same delay is present. wtf guys
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Skaldir
formerly known as Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Up Studios View Post
Ok, so i did exactly as you guys said. i found the buffer size and i decrease it to 64 on the totalmix menu. Although it did help with the latency with the RME, it didnt do anything when i turned the monitor button in cubase on. Although it may be something i can deal with when doing vocals, it frustrates me when i record with my pod. Theres a noticable delay and its very annoying. Please tell me how to fix this. Even when i monitor things like pod farm (which is a vst plugin inside my DAW), the same delay is present. wtf guys
Now that you found the buffer, where was this 150 thing? I'd like to know that.
When you use the monitor button in Cubase its good to know which plugins are active. Some plugins like SIR 1 have a latency of 8960 samples. So no matter what buffer you set the system is delayed 8960 samples.
Go into plugin information and see which latency your used plugins cause.
Disable the one with the highest latency and see if it gets better then!

Scroll around and look which active plugin has the highest latency and tell us.
Abscession

my studio:
Kalthallen

--> Kalthallen Cabs - New MesOs 4x12 IR library out! <--

Last edited by Skaldir : March 23rd, 2012 at 03:19 AM.