Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Backline
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Backline Gear, software, plugins, samples, IRs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
metalboy458

4, 8, 16 ohm sound difference?

is there really a sound difference in these 3? because i found a good deal on a thd hotplate thats 4ohm and my 5150 and laney vh100r have switchable ohms. so if theres not really a difference then i may get this. im pretty much just going to be using it for recording direct into my interface and using redwirez irs.

and i know alot of people like to be smart asses, assholes, arrogant tools, etc; on this forum. so if you feel like thats going to be you just dont even bother responding.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
JakeAC5253
Frozen Sun Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalboy458 View Post
and i know alot of people like to be smart asses, assholes, arrogant tools, etc; on this forum. so if you feel like thats going to be you just dont even bother responding.
I had every intention of helping you until I read this.

Frozen Sun Audio
Contact Me

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
colonel kurtz

they all sound the same bro...just pick whichever number you like more and roll with that
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
egan.
daylightdies.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuckingTHDManual
Q. Can I still use the Hot Plate if it has a different impedance than my amp?
A. ONLY if the impedance of the Hot Plate is EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN that of the amp. However, this will lessen the effectiveness of the Hot Plate’s tone controls.
I'd buy a higher impedance than 4 just to increase the usefulness with other amps and also to use it as an attenuator and not just a load box. I'd buy whatever matched my cab.

Last edited by egan. : July 12th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blackie13

in theory they don't sound the same...
I have discovered that 16 is easier to control...the volume especially for bedroom...
the 8 and 4 tends to get loud easier...
it has to do with the transformers resistance I guess...
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
XxSicRokerxX
Gabriel R.

Quote:
Really? I don't see that around here. Try going on a sports forum.
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mike G

Generally, the lower the ohm, the more "oomph" it's going to have. More low end, thicker. That's just how speakers work. As far as how it affects the sound regarding the use for recording direct with impulses, I dunno.
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
metalboy458

aight cool i think i may just hold off and get the 16 ohm version then. thanks guys.

and i still stand by my statement, ive read so many peoples responses and had people respond to a couple of the things ive posted on here and they were just bein straight douchers.

also possibly someone needs to fix the search thing on here. ive typed in things about recording guitars just to get some new techniques and see how other people do it and everything else in the world popped up except recording guitars.
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
metalboy458

but on the up side, this is the first time people were actually nice and actually answered my question. so thanks guys!
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
viralz

Quote:

With an attitude like that, I sure people will gladly help you out.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
metalboy458

Quote:
Originally Posted by viralz View Post
With an attitude like that, I sure people will gladly help you out.

well this is the most help ive gotten from this forum. so ide so.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mike G

I love how people have a problem with you not wanting a douchebag response. Because that's wrong of you? Lol... also notice how the people with the highest post counts/most time being a member are the ones that just helped, very interesting observation.

Anyway, future reference, there is this Sneap forum Google custom search thing you can use: http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00...09:4qw46y8lnza

The search on the forum here blows, use that one instead.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
kaomao

Lower "ohm-age" mean more brutalism, well my marshall with 16Ohm V30's sounds brighter than my Harley benton with 8Ohm V30's, I know that's not the same cab so you can't really compare!
Anyway I confirm what 006 says about the oomph
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
SethTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 006 View Post
Anyway, future reference, there is this Sneap forum Google custom search thing you can use: http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00...09:4qw46y8lnza

Maybe the google custom search link should be stickied?
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
metalboy458

Quote:
Originally Posted by 006 View Post
I love how people have a problem with you not wanting a douchebag response. Because that's wrong of you? Lol... also notice how the people with the highest post counts/most time being a member are the ones that just helped, very interesting observation.

YES! you nailed it right on the butt brotha lol. like the thing that made me put that was that there was some kid asking about slip editing and instead of just answering the pour kid people were pretty much attacking him. its just frustrating when they couldve just answered his question instead of giving him shit, which wouldve taken the exact same time if not less.

but anywho enough of that lol. thanks for the link ill start using that next time i try and look somthin up.

again thanks to everyone who helped!
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
metalboy458

oh this is off topic but 006 does SATX stand for san antonio texas or san angelo texas? im in san antonio tejas! lol.
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
mva801

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethTheGreat View Post
Maybe the google custom search link should be stickied?
It is:USEFUL LINKS / FAQ. PLEASE READ!!!

First post in the useful links/ please read FAQ on the main page...
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mike G

San Antonio, northeast area near Rolling Oaks mall.

Last edited by 006 : July 12th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
rispsira

Sorry cabt read the whole thread now ( annoying with the phone) if what i say has been said. I used to stick to 8 ohms with mesa gear but lately i purchased a marshall amo and cab and experimented with tgese and actually dound a nuce difference. Ubfirtunately i cant remember which one i ended up with and why haha so u remibded me ti check back. But definitely a difference. I think witg tge 5150 i stick with 8 tho. U guys use 4?
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
droppedrecords

It's pretty simple.

16 is low. 4 is high.

If you want more body go 4. if you want more control go 16. If you want both go 8.

Heavier music production

http://soundcloud.com/mitch-c-roughproduction/worlds-apart-ad

Really low prices, Message me for any questions.

www.facebook.com/droppedrecords
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
SethTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva801 View Post
It is:USEFUL LINKS / FAQ. PLEASE READ!!!

First post in the useful links/ please read FAQ on the main page...
I meant more obviously like, "Search frustrating you? Try this!" As opposed to "useful links"
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
searanox

I've noticed that usually 16 ohms is louder and brighter sounding than 4 or 8 ohms, and that the dynamic range tends to be just a little more sensitive. Also, if you have a volume difference in output (especially between different speaker types/brands/etc.) then you may compensate and drive the amp differently, thus affecting tone more significantly.

Last edited by searanox : July 13th, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lasse Lammert
HCAF Blitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeAC5253 View Post
I had every intention of helping you until I read this.
I agree, that's why he won't be posting here anymore in the future.

I agree with him that we have way too many arrogant, ignorant and condescending young timers here, we don't need those, they need to be sorted out...and his post was one of the most arrogant and condescending post I've read here in a long time.
I won't permaban them from the UM board, but I do have the possibility of denying access to the Sneap forum.
Something that'll happen much more often in the future...culling the herd (only talking about disrespectful and arrogant new members with low post count here...you know, the ones that keep flooding the forum recently)
Mastering
Drumediting

(special UM rates)

Lasse Lammert Drumsamples

My Band's FB...LIKE IT, BITCH!

Last edited by Lasse Lammert : July 13th, 2012 at 02:36 AM.