Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Backline
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Backline Gear, software, plugins, samples, IRs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
He's Dead, Jim

Redwirez vs. free impulses (God's Cab etc.)

Sorry if people have asked this before, but is it worth it dropping money ($50 for mixIR2 plus the cost of the impulses) for Redwirez impulses versus just using the ones in the Great Impulses file that was posted here a while ago? I'm already getting a pretty good sound with God's Cab, but if it's dramatically better then I'm certainly open to it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
sjcortese

I really like RedWirez impulses because when you buy a pack, or download the free Marshall cab pack they offer, you get a ton of mic options as well as mic placement options. I think they sound really good. I don't know much about mix IR2 other than it's drag and drop or menu navigation. Each RW ir pack has a ton of ir's in it so what I find works great for me, and keeps you from having to navigate large menus is this: http://acmebargig.com/product/iface/ I face allows you to just pick a cab, pick a mic, and just drag the mic in the gui. It automatically switches the corresponding ir's..I love it. iFace also allows you to load external (your fav free ir's) but for those you load them through a menu not in the draggable interface. It also allows you to combine different impulses, mix them and then create a custom ir from those selected. I'm sure mixIR2 is great but I think iFace is a great alternative and costs less.

God's Cab is awesome as well as Catharsis ir's and many others!! Tons of options

~scott

Last edited by sjcortese : January 1st, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
He's Dead, Jim

I was under the impression that Redwirez used proprietary file types that didn't work in other loaders and only worked in mixIR2, but I'm glad to hear that isn't the case. Thanks for the info! Now that I know that, do you have any recommendations for a starting point for a particular RedWirez IR pack?

edit: DAMMIT that iFace software doesn't work on OS X. Boooooo

Last edited by He's Dead, Jim : January 1st, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
sjcortese

Check for the free Marshall pack, should be here, just need to give your email for dl link I believe.
http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp

It's a good way to start since it's free. I have that Marshall and have bought an Engl 4x12 pack, a Mesa, Orange, and Peavey 5150 packs. I like them all for different reasons so it depends on what you are into. Probably some examples on youtube? I like mixing and playing around with them. I posted this last night using the X50 and Orange RW cabs. I'm not the greates with eq but might give you an idea. TSE X50 v1.0

I'm sure others here with more experience than me could give ya some more feedback on the RedWirez stuff. I sugested it because it just happens to my pref.

~scott
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
sjcortese

This one is the same di's I got from this forum with different cabs. I didn't save it in Reaper but I think that I used God's cab (if it wasn't it may have been RedWires Mesa) and Orange on this. I feel stupid that I didn't save the preset/project but it sounds completely different with different cab ir's mixed together in iFace. There is post eq on the examples both on the guitars and the master chan. Just me playing around and trying to learn all this cray stuff lol.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22162209/Ros...X50%20test.mp3

~scott

Last edited by sjcortese : January 1st, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
sjcortese

Oh crap sorry!! Didn't realize you were on osx
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
wetpenny
i've got cankers!!

no diss to redwirez or god's cab but kalthallen IR's = win
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
sjcortese

The Kalthallen's are excellent to! Another great option!
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
He's Dead, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcortese View Post
Oh crap sorry!! Didn't realize you were on osx
Haha it's okay, I know I should have a Windows machine for the vast majority of all recording software but I'm a grad student so Macs are the logical choice for stability and ease of use.

edit: thanks for the Kalthallen recs. I checked out the website and they look great. Once I get back from christmas vacation I'll be sure to download them!

Last edited by He's Dead, Jim : January 1st, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
sjcortese

If the software I prefer was available for Mac I'd own a Mac for sure, great machines!
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
FIXXXER
\(_o)/

it seems like people are just finding new ways of creating IR's these days, it feels like there will be a new wave of great IR's coming soon!

check out the Ownhammer V2 beta IR's, they sound incredibly good compared to the V1 ones and other "old school" IR libraries.

i also highly recommend RECABINET 3, it works on mac also IIRC!
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Clark Kent

Yeah OWNHAMMER is what I'd suggest you guys to check out.

Redwirez is good but somehow it was very hard for me to find a good mic position. I think they didn't use their ears but eyes for the mic positions but offer many positions to choose from. I just got pissed when I thought the sweet spot mic position would've been inbetween the mic positions they had. If you've got Mesa Redwirez then the Lawson mic was the BOMB in that pack.
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
JakeAC5253
Frozen Sun Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Redwirez is good but somehow it was very hard for me to find a good mic position. I think they didn't use their ears but eyes for the mic positions but offer many positions to choose from. I just got pissed when I thought the sweet spot mic position would've been inbetween the mic positions they had.
This is the exact reason I began making my own IRs, and I've been doing it ever since. It's very frustrating to say the least.

In case you can't find what you are looking for elsewhere, I also offer a number of high quality IR packs that will be very versatile.

Frozen Sun Audio
Contact Me

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
sjcortese

I know there's a lot of really excellent ir's out there now, as a matter of fact I think I just read a post that was started by you (Jake) about your ir's. God bless you guys that know how to create this awesome stuff!

Clark Kent, I see there was a beta for the OWNHAMMER ir's but I missed the boat. Appears the beta has ended so I couldn't check them out. I'm sure that means something is on the horizon so I'll be looking for posts/audio samples in the (near?) future.

~scott
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
wetpenny
i've got cankers!!

i recently got the "freddy" impulses from signals audio.. these are fucking great for mix n match!!
best 1.60 ive spent in a long long while!!!
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultrash View Post
i also highly recommend RECABINET 3, it works on mac also IIRC!
Yeah both RTAS and AU, for 19.99$ it's a complete no-brainer. It's also getting an update soon that allows you to load external IRs as well.
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
MIAnn
Juniors Member

talking of no brainers, 29 euros for nebula 2 ?? just add (free) Kalthallen neb cabs..
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAnn View Post
talking of no brainers, 29 euros for nebula 2 ?? just add (free) Kalthallen neb cabs..
How is the CPU usage on that (nebula) these days? I've been meaning to check it out again for a while but have not had the chance. Anyways, someone a while ago told me they managed to shave a whole lot of usage off.. ?
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
MIAnn
Juniors Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
How is the CPU usage on that (nebula) these days? I've been meaning to check it out again for a while but have not had the chance. Anyways, someone a while ago told me they managed to shave a whole lot of usage off.. ?
by all accounts they did with the v3 pro.. i'll get back to you on that one when i upgrade to it
sayin that though, neb2 isnt really that taxing unless you start fucking with timed kernels.. it certainly doesn't use much cpu for a cab program..
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
MatrixClaw

Redwirez has some good sounds in there, but they give you so many files that its completely daunting to go through them to find the good ones.

Classified References
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
sjcortese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw View Post
Redwirez has some good sounds in there, but they give you so many files that its completely daunting to go through them to find the good ones.
That's what this is for:
http://acmebargig.com/product/iface/

~scott
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Terminus
Mike

I dont know what it is but I can never seem to tear myself away from using lolgrag's ASEM impulse. The only one that comes close to that imo is the orange_2_mics one.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
CatharsisStudios
trcksngsrpbngs

i released some new ones but still forever in love with s-pres

honestly though SIgnals audio jimmy + freddy combined is fucking stellar
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Signals

You can quote me that Freddy/Jimmy are the best metal cab IRs out there. Put 'em up against anything, I dare ya! Especially mixed together, ohhhhhh man.

They're actually on sale for $2.50 a piece till Jan 31.

http://signalsaudio.com/site/simpulse/
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
MIAnn
Juniors Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signals View Post
You can quote me that Freddy/Jimmy are the best metal cab IRs out there. Put 'em up against anything, I dare ya! Especially mixed together, ohhhhhh man.

They're actually on sale for $2.50 a piece till Jan 31.

http://signalsaudio.com/site/simpulse/
i got the freddy, i guess i better get the jimmy then..
dare accepted