Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Bar
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bar Everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
theRev

Pics of fake amp stacks

Hi guys!

Some time ago in one of the thread I noticed some pics of a stage with fake amplifiers.. Maybe was Immortal stuff..

Anyway, do you guys have more pics like that? By seein' that fakiness I was laughin my ass off, so anymore of that kind of pics would be really appreciated!

EDIT: Pic was this

http://www.trianglecat.com/blog/images/immortalfake.jpg

Well I know that all that amp stacks in live shows are for eye candy (I remember the two 10 meters tall crosses made of "Marshall amps" on the Slayer show) but I found it hylaroius by watchin' at them from the back

Last edited by theRev : September 3rd, 2010 at 06:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
drew_drummer
Dancefap

This is the sort of shit that just makes me think... how are bands that allow themselves to do this any different from N'Sync or The Backstreet Boys....
www.nocleansinging.com

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
NSGUITAR

Is it sad that we have mock cabs at our rehearsal space? hahahahaha

I think mocks are fucking awesome, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with them. You could play in an arena with just a combo amp behind stage if you want.

***WARNING!! THIS USER HAS NOT FULFILLED THE PROMISED WORK/SALES OF SEVERAL USERS ON THIS FORUM. It is recommended to avoid doing business with him.***
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Harry Hughes
  ‬‬

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_drummer View Post
This is the sort of shit that just makes me think... how are bands that allow themselves to do this any different from N'Sync or The Backstreet Boys....
Yeah, it's ridiculous really.
And sadly, most bands don't realize the audience honestly couldn't give two fucks if they can see the backline or not, yet they continue to insist on using a dummy backline.
Meshuggah had practically no backline on stage when I saw them (apart from rack units, for the Axe FX and POD XT Pro and probably power conditioners and shit like that), but it seemed to have zero effect on how much the crowd was enjoying the show.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lasse Lammert
HCAF Blitzkrieg

now I know why Immortal had this EXTREMELY shite guitarsound in Wacken
Mastering
Drumediting

(special UM rates)

Lasse Lammert Drumsamples

My Band's FB...LIKE IT, BITCH!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
TheWinterSnow
Den Mørke Natt

Quote:
Its a stage prop, no different than having ramps to additional staging, lights, platforms, display monitors or in small setups, graphic vinyl and backdrop. Even for the bands that actually do have real amps stacks on stage and even if they are using them, its nothing more than for looks, so fake or dummy loaded cabinets and amps make life easier for the roadies.

Personally I think the huge wall of stacks like Slayer and Immortal is just cheesy, but if they think it makes the stage look cool, well then thats totally their call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse Lammert View Post
now I know why Immortal had this EXTREMELY shite guitarsound in Wacken
Powerball

My band's Facebook
Download our EP
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
drew_drummer
Dancefap

I guess we're just gonna disagree.. but to me, it doesn't cool. not one bit. It looks like they're trying to make up for a lack of actual testicles about their person.
www.nocleansinging.com

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
TheWinterSnow
Den Mørke Natt

Quote:
I guess we're just gonna disagree.. but to me, it doesn't cool. not one bit. It looks like they're trying to make up for a lack of actual testicles about their person.
I agree, I think its completely stupid myself. I just don't agree that it means a lack of talent, its just overcompensating (most likely for penis size) and is just cliche and cheesy.

My band's Facebook
Download our EP
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
drew_drummer
Dancefap

My original statement wasn't a knock on their talent though. More about how they're willing to look like complete muppets in order to be successful.
www.nocleansinging.com

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
TheWinterSnow
Den Mørke Natt

Quote:
My original statement wasn't a knock on their talent though. More about how they're willing to look like complete muppets in order to be successful.
And at that statement, I fully endorse your words. I think any band that has to have a wall of cabinets either real/dummy/prop is a complete tool.

My band's Facebook
Download our EP
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Notuern
Bloody vaginal belch

So... am i the only one paying to see a SHOW, and not hearing a record played live?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Line666
Fendurr

Nah, showboating ftw personally, illusion is half the joy of it all.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
theRev

Jesus Christ, don't get me wrong: I'm not saying it isn't cool... I just cited the Slayer scenography because it was fuckin' GORGEOUS... But again, I find quite enjoyable to see the "tricks" as they are... Yea, I'm paying to see a SHOW too, so just don't be too picky (talking with you guys is becoming more and more difficult... Just smile at life sometimes, seems like you always have to demonstrate how cool you are even on useless threads like this )

Last edited by theRev : September 3rd, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
guitarguru777

Megadeth has a full backline on empty Marshall DM Cabs and JVM Heads, there were 2 racks off to the side. One with Chris's AxeFX and the other with Daves GSP 1101

Fucking pissed me off they used Dummy Cabs, cause the week prior. Fear Factory got on stage and the same venue with no amps / racks in sight just an empty stage with a drum set and fucking slayed!!

Mixing & Mastering Available -constantinestudios (at) gmail.com

My Recent Discography:
Dario Lorina - Dario Lorina - Shrapnel Records (2013)
Jacky Vincent - Star X Speed Story - Shrapnel Records (2013)
Stoney Curtis Band - Halo Of Dark Matter - Blues Bureau (2013)
Vinny Moore, Kelly Keeling, Scot Coogan - Magna Carta Records (2014)
[/size]
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Notuern
Bloody vaginal belch

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRev View Post
Jesus Christ, don't get me wrong: I'm not saying it isn't cool... I just cited the Slayer scenography because it was fuckin' GORGEOUS... But again, I find quite enjoyable to see the "tricks" as they are... Yea, I'm paying to see a SHOW too, so just don't be too picky (talking with you guys is becoming more and more difficult... Just smile at life sometimes, seems like you always have to demonstrate how cool you are even on useless threads like this )
I wasnt commenting on you at all, my comment was directed at drew's comments regarding how he'd like to watch bands rehearse their material.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
~BURNY~

Grown men looking like pandas using walls of fake amps. It's fucking awesome. It's genius.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rogueleader
Bringer Of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguru777 View Post
Megadeth has a full backline on empty Marshall DM Cabs and JVM Heads, there were 2 racks off to the side. One with Chris's AxeFX and the other with Daves GSP 1101

Fucking pissed me off they used Dummy Cabs, cause the week prior. Fear Factory got on stage and the same venue with no amps / racks in sight just an empty stage with a drum set and fucking slayed!!
When I saw them (November 2009) they were each using 4 JVM fullstacks. Some kid tapped me on the shoulder and said "look at that man, they have four FULL STACKS, thats like 800 watts". I don't know if the cabs were dummies or not but they were for sure using racks for their sound. I don't see why it would piss you off, its a show. Its like telling actors not to wear costumes. Would you rather see this

or this
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
drew_drummer
Dancefap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notuern View Post
So... am i the only one paying to see a SHOW, and not hearing a record played live?
To me a 'show' is the crowd, the fact the music is being played live and by the seat of the bands collective pants - a spontaneous and energetic burst of creativity.

That's just how I prefer my live experiences.
www.nocleansinging.com

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Harry Hughes
  ‬‬

@ Rogue Leader : The difference is, a costume in a film actually serves a functional, proper purpose, so not a good analogy at all.
A dummy backline is just making up for an incredibly small dick and lack of testicles. Want a bigger dick? Get some fucking surgery, because a bigger backline wont actually increase the size of one's dick.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
P-E
Munchkin

Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Line666
Fendurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
@ Rogue Leader : The difference is, a costume in a film actually serves a functional, proper purpose, so not a good analogy at all.
A dummy backline is just making up for an incredibly small dick and lack of testicles. Want a bigger dick? Get some fucking surgery, because a bigger backline wont actually increase the size of one's dick.
No but it serves as a talking point doesnt it and thats all that really matters, otherwise you might as well not bother with the light show either, because its not really necessary at all, its just something to improve the experience for a lot of people, so Joe Bloggs goes home and tells all his mates:

"Woaaah, you should have seen X band last night, they had 20 Marshall stacks, the lights were amazing and the music was loud as hell!"

Catering to just musicians is a load of turd, apart from your artistry you need a bit more to drag people out on a friday night or whatever and give them an experience.

If you're not just selling tickets to your show to musicians (a usually extremely boring criteria although metal seems to cater for it entirely) then people want an experience not just 4 guys on stage playing combo amps, punters want to believe that rock musicians are somehow divine or something, they dont just want the music they want the experience of something entirely beyond them. The illusion is half the power of the show.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rogueleader
Bringer Of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
Guess I should shave my head and play one of these

To appease the "things done solely for appearance are lame" crowd.

Edit: And I disagree entirely that huge walls of fake cabs aren't functional. Its entertaining. Last time I check musicians are entertainers.

Last edited by Rogueleader : September 3rd, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ermz
¯\(°_o)/¯

The last time Meshuggah dropped by was the best gig I saw in my life. Couldn't see any back-line whatsoever.

I don't think following visual trends from the 70s and 80s is the best way to create progression in today's music. To have them not serve a purpose besides giving the roadies more work to do just makes it all that much more hilarious and wasteful.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
slashvanyoung
Dopefish lives!

It's not any more or less ridiculous or redundant than any other stage show element. For me it's always about the music: I like Slayer, those twelve (real but not all powered) Marshall cabs on either side of the stage don't bother me one bit. It's part of their image, people associated them with that. On the other hand, I think modern In Flames fucking suck and no amount of stupid pyros could make up for that.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
slashvanyoung
Dopefish lives!

Quote:
To me a 'show' is the crowd, the fact the music is being played live and by the seat of the bands collective pants - a spontaneous and energetic burst of creativity.

That's just how I prefer my live experiences.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/o...gig-video.html