Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Bar
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bar Everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Drinking & Drumming....

....It doesnīt work

I totally failed to play a decent doublebass groove yesterday in the Band rehearsal. After 2 Beers all worked well, but after 4,5 NOTHING worked anymore. Damn!

What is your experience with making music and drinking?

MACHINES & MADNESS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
xFkx
gain induction

2 beers is my optimum performance level live

the nerves go down, but the skills don't

3+ beers in and i'm starting to have problems with tricky guitar parts, so that's too much for me
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Yeah man, I hear you. Guitar wise I already knew my borders. But for drums I had to learn it yet. Remarkable moment for me yesterday

MACHINES & MADNESS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Perishh

My best gig I ever played was with about 4 Jim & Cokes in me. Whether or not the audience thought the same is unclear.
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

^Drums?

MACHINES & MADNESS
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gustavo_Loureiro

Neither beer nor weed for my drumming! But whisky goes fine
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo_Loureiro View Post
Neither beer nor weed for my drumming! But whisky goes fine
Really? Hmm so you think itīs a beer problem and not a general alcohol thingy?

Do you mix it with coke?

MACHINES & MADNESS
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
TheWinterSnow
Den Mørke Natt

2 beers, or two drinks, I generally prefer Rosckstar and Jager. More than that, and I won't be capable of playing. Berr tends to not give the best buzz for playing, slows you down too much, the hard stuff just makes you feel good and takes away the nerves.

My band's Facebook
Download our EP
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
M.Lehto

Not drumming, but sometimes when making acoustic music I compose and record at the same time and I do have few songs, that I can't remember composing or recording. And for one album we had to re-record all the vocals later again as I was skipping lyrics, because my eyes didn't work that well anymore
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinterSnow View Post
2 beers, or two drinks, I generally prefer Rosckstar and Jager. More than that, and I won't be capable of playing. Berr tends to not give the best buzz for playing, slows you down too much, the hard stuff just makes you feel good and takes away the nerves.
Okay that sounds good. Any other tips to improve the performance/power? Glucose or some shit? Energy drinks? Okay..some people could say, "donīt drink motherfucker!!" But Iīm playing in a rockīn roll band so this is eliminated

MACHINES & MADNESS
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
joelplagues

Guitar- I usually try stay away from it. I get nervous about my playing and start thinking about whether I am going to screw up or whether I am screwing up and just don't notice.

Same if I have a show to mix. did one last year after downing 4 Jack Daniel's and coke, stepped up to the console and started to worry. similar process as guitar, "what happens if I screw up?", "Is this fader actually doing anything or is it just me?", so on and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
With Reaper 4 I can now click one toolbar button to enter "Drum Editing Mode" where I can edit with just my hand on the mouse, drinking beer or jerking off with my left hand the entire time.

One handed one button drum editing ftw.
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fragle

guitar...depends on the music. with my tech death band i rarely drink more than 2 beers before the show, if any.
with other stuff....everything's fine up to 5. beyond that things go downhill FAST, haha.

but the thing is, as a guitar player you can get away with much more sloppiness than as a drummer. if you hit a bum note chances are people won't even notice it. but if the drummer fucks up the whole band might get into trouble. everyone will be like fuck, i'm early/late, and will try to compensate even though everythings perfectly fine.

still, playing TOO drunk is no fun. there's a certain point where things run smooth and you're really getting into it. past that point, you'll be struggling your way through the show, and that certainly doesn't make you enjoy it more ^^

Last edited by Fragle : May 29th, 2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mago
Austrian Blech Machine

At a gig we organized by ourselfs with 2 other bands I had to stand on the entrance to check and sell tickets, and I did the hour before we played.
Since we played last pretty much everyone was allready there so I didn't have much to do and I was a bit bored so I had a few beers.
After extensive headbanging I had a bit of a problem to not fall over at the beginning of the gig
Have to say tho that I usually don't eat before gigs, even if I'm not really nervous anymore.
So the 3 beers felt like 6.
Was fun, but one more and I would have been in serious trouble

www.harpiaproductions.com

HARPIA DEIIS - Melodic Death/Thrash Metal
FACEBOOK | BANDCAMP
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Yeah haha Cool postings. I think itīs super important to find the personal border. Alcohol helps a lot to get into that mood for doing a performance with attitude...at least for me. For guitar it wasnīt really that necessary to drink, cause I were concentrated as fuck. But as a drummer itīs different, itīs more kind of sports (depends on the style) where power and attitude is so important.

MACHINES & MADNESS
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
TheWinterSnow
Den Mørke Natt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Neumann View Post
Okay that sounds good. Any other tips to improve the performance/power? Glucose or some shit? Energy drinks? Okay..some people could say, "donīt drink motherfucker!!" But Iīm playing in a rockīn roll band so this is eliminated
Energy drinks help keep focus, so that you aren't so dopey and as long as you don't drink too much you can keep the buzz and still be able to play.

And yes, if you are in a rock/metal band and you haven't been drinking, then you are doing it wrong.

My band's Facebook
Download our EP
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Scott C.

Man I honestly feel myself slowing down a bit even after one beer. no alcohol for me before the show(maybe one during the set) best thing I've found for me is have two redbulls on stage,(don't drink any during the day) slam the first one just before we start. drink the other one as you go. If I'm feeling rough from the night before might slam both. for me for some reason redbull opens up my sinuses and I can breathe better ... not sure why but none of the other energy drinks seems to do it. between that and the adrenaline from the show I feel great and on top of everything. haha

but if you overdo energy drinks that's as bad as beer for me too I get too shaky to play certain parts up to par. lol
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
FIXXXER
Ŋ\(°_o)/Ŋ

Quote:

What is your experience with making music and drinking?
i recorded a complete experimental-noise-psychedelic album this way!
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
El_Gato
I love this gain

IME, you *think* that you're playing like a master, then you play back when sober and listen to that drumming non-sense.

No alcohol for me before, don't need it to play and I also forget my lyrics when singing.

Soundcloud
Facebook
Youtube
Twitter

Don't ask what your gear can do for you, but what you can do for your gear
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Erratic

Overrated, do coke.

kidding.
FastTrack Pro (Pro Fire 2626 in a month)
Rode NT1-A
Pro Tools 8.0.5
Cubase 5
Reason 5

Guitar:
Ibanez RG320 (Dimarzio Evo Bridge)
TubeSreamer7
Electro Harmonix MicroMetal Muff
2 Classical Guitar
Marshall Regenerator
Boss Delay DM-3
MXR Dime Disortion

http://soundcloud.com/fastworker
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
John_C
formerly Skeksis268

I'm best with nothing, but 1 or 2 drinks is fine. If it's easy material then it can help loosen things up a little which is nice
Mixing
Session guitar and bass playing
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Gustavo_Loureiro

Quote:
Really? Hmm so you think itīs a beer problem and not a general alcohol thingy?
yeah man, like others said, beer slows down.. at least for me! and I need lots of energy behind the set. whisky lights my fire!

I have to try drumming on acid one day! and then some coke... and some horse shit and all lol
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo_Loureiro View Post
yeah man, like others said, beer slows down.. at least for me! and I need lots of energy behind the set. whisky lights my fire!

I have to try drumming on acid one day! and then some coke... and some horse shit and all lol
Damn...I love me some Beer! Iīm a goddamn German!!! Okay since I were in Ireland Iīm convinced to Whiskey, too But yeah man, I hear ya...

This experience yesterday wasnīt really pleasent for me and my self - confidence. We had some audience at the rehearsal and I fucked it up a bit

Edit: And let me add...Iīm a fucking guitarist and singer originally. Some people here know me. Drumming is something totally NEW for me (in a Band situation), but I enjoy it so much

MACHINES & MADNESS

Last edited by Felix Neumann : May 29th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Forceps
John - Spiralcove

I never drink alcohol before going on stage, it makes my mouth dry and I don't like that when I'm singing...

I remember we played with a pretty technical death metal band some years ago... they had to start their show, but couldn't find their guitar player. He was throwing up at the toilet.... but when he came out of the toilet, face white as a ghost, he entered the stage and started playing. Can't remember I heard him make any mistake and he's playing was tight as a baby's ass.....
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Hmmm I think I will try red bull & whiskey the next time. Is both compatible? I donīt wanna have some fucking heartburn, cause we ususally do some eating orgy after the rehearsal

MACHINES & MADNESS
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
J the TyranT
Thats just how it is...

Not to sound like a shit-talking moron, but I've got by far the highest tolerance of anybody Ive ever met... so I tend to drink 6 drinks before I even get down to brass tax... and since drumming has been my forte for over 20 years, I can do that shit backwards in my sleep.... even hard technical patterns...

HOWEVER... playing guitar? Not a fucking chance. Too many small muscle groups. I just cant fucking do it. Wont even try. Anymore than 3 or 4 drinks and attempting to play guitar is just OVER.

Vocals? Well that completely depends. I've found a few drinks in me loosens me up to optimal level... Im sure anymore makes me sound like a bag of fuck though