Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Bar
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bar Everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
guitarguru777

How do you handle ungreatful bands???

I have a band I recorded last year, and here was the situation....

The drummer couldnt play ANY of the parts the band "programmed in guitar pro", and the parts he COULD play they couldn't do to a click. The demo I think came out good considering the drums we used were programmed, and the musicians were sloppy as fuck. I really posihed the FUCK out of it....

Anyway a buddy of theirs who is OBVIOUSLY and editing and programing god just recorded a tune for them, while the production itself isnt all that stellar, its VERY tight, and makes the band sound like they can actually play. So yesterday they started talking a shit ton of smack about my studio to their friends.

I have called them on their bullshit, and told them stright up there is NO WAY this is "real drums" but they are swearing up and down that the drumer played it.

I SWEAR this is programmed, not just cause he cant play, but because of the lack of dynamics, and the tones in general. They say the guy even "triggered" cymbals ..... really?

Have a listen and tell me your thoughs on this shitcore night mare and how to deal with these little fuckers talking all kinds of shit to other bands in town.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now...ource=facebook

If you listen to 5:29, & Mordor, you will hear the recordings we did originally.

My Recent Discography:
Dario Lorina - Dario Lorina - Shrapnel Records (2013)
Jacky Vincent - Star X Speel Story - Shrapnel Records (2013)
Stoney Curtis Band - Halo Of Dark Matter - Blues Bureau (2013)
Vinny Moore, Kelly Keeling, Scot Coogan - Magna Carta Records (2014)
Sicocis - Two - (2014)
Utopian Riot - 5 Song EP (2014)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/

It's simple - don't work with bands in this genre. Cut off their avenue to any kind of environment that can pass off the shitpile they call music as anything other than the utter disgrace it is. When you work with artists who value music and all the things that encompasses, such as arrangement, aesthetics, emotional impact rather than shallow gimmickry you'll also find that they will respect you more.

PS. Editing or no, this music is horrific. You would've done them a favor by dumping the CD before release.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
guitarguru777

Ermz, you are always a fucking genius.

I just really think its funny how much we all dislike metal-core / death-core / apple-core and 90% of us have problems with THOSE genre of bands....lol

My Recent Discography:
Sicocis - Two - (2014)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/

I seriously NEVER have these issues, and I NEVER work with bands in that genre. Coincidence?
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
guitarguru777

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

What about Emo Punk, thats the OTHER band I have issues with. Another set of 19 year old "we know it all" and YOU SUCK kind of thing ....

My Recent Discography:
Sicocis - Two - (2014)
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/

Well here's this for thought:

When the Elm Street guys approached me in 2009 about recording their debut full length, they were all averaging around 19 years. Their attitude going in was 'dude, you're great, we'll defer all the decisions to you'. We ended up actually scrapping the entire CD after it was recorded the first time. A good month of their time and money, all down the drain for the sake of experience. Their response to that? 'Dude, you're right, we need to practice more. We'll come back when we do that.' They came back a year later, we had a 2nd crack at it, and they completely knocked it out of the park. Greatest recording experience of my life.

The lesson here? It's not about what age people are, it's about how stupid they are. Protip: If someone is playing this cesspit excuse for music, or in any way feel there is a valid reason for pursuing such a degenerate career path/hobby, odds are there's not much floating around up there. Avoid.

Last edited by Ermz : July 10th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
guitarguru777

OH FUCK .... That just made my fucking day!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

My Recent Discography:
Sicocis - Two - (2014)
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
schwinginbatman
It's shittay!

If it makes you feel better, your mixes were far better than the other guys. I actually had to go listen to another song when I heard the other guys stuff, because it sounded like the bass on my headphones gave out again.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Glenn Fricker
Very Metal &Very Bad News

I'm with Ermz. Choose your projects wisely. And if you can't stand the music, price it accordingly.

At the end of the day though, if a band is talking shit about your studio, it really doesn't matter: What comes out of the speakers does.

Word of mouth is the best advertising, but if a shitty band is saying untrue things about your studio, the truth will come out at their live gigs.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
mva801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Fricker View Post
the truth will come out at their live gigs.
Yup. You should have told this band that they weren't prepared in the first place. They're obviously terrible. Maybe they've gotten a little better since you recorded them, but I don't see any reason for them to be talkin shit on anyone's studio, when it's pretty obvious they can barely play.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
JakeAC5253
Frozen Sun Audio

Easy, just say "it's my job to RECORD your song using the gear that I own and operate. Its not my fault you can't perform it correctly" and wash your hands of it. Just look to your next project and try to find something to learn or improve on for next time.

Frozen Sun Audio
Contact Me

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seizure.

Dig up their grandma's bones, send it to their parents with a note saying it was because of the shitty music their offspring made. sick right?
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
guitarguru777

LOVE THAT IDEA!!!!!! .....LOL

My Recent Discography:
Sicocis - Two - (2014)
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
~BURNY~

They suck so bad it doesn't even matter. Listening to them is like having someone taking a shit down your ear canals.
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
SentencedToBurn
Dubbs

i listened to the first 5 seconds of the first song and new the drums were either programmed or quantized
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mago
Austrian Blech Machine

Seems like the guy fucked them over with telling them the drums were "triggered from the cymbals".
Or maybe they werem, e-kit or something, and then he just hit "Q".
But it's not really easy to hear, the overheads in that mix are a total mess, mixwise.

The mix of yours sounds like a total salvage job. There's only so much you can do with editing...once battled myself with mixfiles to see how far I can take it, and it just wasn't possible for me
to get a mix that I liked, even if it could have sounded cool on well played source-files.

I would avoid getting into an argument. Chances are that people who hear their stuff and see them live won't give shit what they say about your studio anyway.
And if they do: Free shit filter for you

www.harpiaproductions.com

HARPIA DEIIS - Melodic Death/Thrash Metal
FACEBOOK | BANDCAMP
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lowberg

This is what is popular with kids too, the world is fucked.
Am I just getting old, or does this stuff just suck big donkey dick?
This shit needs it's own genre it's ruining the genre of metal.
I saw some kid wearing a breakdowncore band shirt today and I wanted to tell him to stop listening to bad music.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
AudioPhile777
Mathew Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguru777 View Post
How do you handle ungreatful bands???
With fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTD View Post
I don't understand lesbians. I mean I understand lesbians, but I don't understand why virtually every dude is into them. I don't like watching videos of cheeseburgers eat each other - on their own, they're delicious, but once they start eating each other, neither is useful to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
...its fucking HARD to do as simple stuff as he does and still make it groove like a moose.
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
::XeS::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Well here's this for thought:

When the Elm Street guys approached me in 2009 about recording their debut full length, they were all averaging around 19 years. Their attitude going in was 'dude, you're great, we'll defer all the decisions to you'. We ended up actually scrapping the entire CD after it was recorded the first time. A good month of their time and money, all down the drain for the sake of experience. Their response to that? 'Dude, you're right, we need to practice more. We'll come back when we do that.' They came back a year later, we had a 2nd crack at it, and they completely knocked it out of the park. Greatest recording experience of my life.

The lesson here? It's not about what age people are, it's about how stupid they are. Protip: If someone is playing this cesspit excuse for music, or in any way feel there is a valid reason for pursuing such a degenerate career path/hobby, odds are there's not much floating around up there. Avoid.
+200k
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
LeSedna
Mat or Mateo

Is the drummer convinced he played those drums ? That would be funny
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
MG-Chris
80's Thrash > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowberg View Post
So much this.
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Loren Littlejohn
Lover of all boobage.

No sir, it isn't good. Fucking singer is so fucking bad. SO FUCKING BAD.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Carnivorouschrysalis
Chuck Finley

Well, i tried clicking on the link to listen to this infamously terrible band, but the reverbnation page is gone. They must have broken up.
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
SentencedToBurn
Dubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowberg View Post
This is what is popular with kids too, the world is fucked.
Am I just getting old, or does this stuff just suck big donkey dick?
I saw some kid wearing a breakdowncore band shirt today and I wanted to tell him to stop listening to bad music.
people said the same thing about nu metal. its a passing trend. it comes. it goes.
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/

Though in all fairness I'd gladly spin some Limp Dickshit, Korn or Sevendust in favor of breakdown-core. Many of the best current radio rock bands stemmed from nu-metal roots. The idea at its core was good... more rhythm/groove orientation around heavy music. It's what we needed after the bland monotony of thrash. Sure the idea got hijacked by a bunch of wiggers, but it's still a purer pursuit than stripping back all musical elements and championing a style where 'arrangements' consist of a bunch of disconnected riffs joined by various production gimmickry, all centered around providing as many simple 'beatdown' mosh riffs to the bottom feeders as humanly possible within 3 minutes.