Be'lakor  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Be'lakor
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #51 (permalink)
MrEdenspring
A Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Green View Post
^ Pretty much what I think.
And what do you think about Stone's Reach compared to The Frail Tide?

Usually the debut album has A LOT of work behind it, it's the first natural expression of a band, which usually takes years to get released. And if you release a masterpiece, you obviously try to top that, not easy task.

I know The Frail Tide by heart, and I m so in love with it that I cant avoid singing it out loud when I m on Helsinki's desert streets at night, while Stone's Reach is still kinda new to me. Did you find the same emotional feeling in the sophomore effort?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #52 (permalink)
Mr_Green
Filth Wizard

I don't know what a band's intentions are when they work on a new album so I try not to get distracted by those things when I listen for the first time. Both the TFT and SR required time, patience, and repeated listens for me to get into it.

I think SR has more unity and cohesion to it. The songs flow into each other better (perhaps with the exception of Aspect right after Husks :P) and to me, they all seem to follow a similar path or thread, which makes for better storytelling. For me, the album is one whole piece of work and each song is a unit in that piece, which really helps when I'm trying to understand it. I feel a little annoyed and upset when I come across an album where every song is awesome on its own, but they just don't fit together on the same disc! :P

As for emotional impact, I think they're both about the same for me. They're both uniquely and definitively "Be'lakor", but SR is in no way simply a repeat of TFT. So yeah, they both get my thumbs up!

Last edited by Mr_Green : August 29th, 2009 at 09:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #53 (permalink)
Timünd
Local

Theys are bof gud albubms.

Old August 30th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #54 (permalink)
Furious George
Jeremy's Iron

Chucked a few new reviews up. Most of them require Google translate, producing interesting results

Old August 30th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #55 (permalink)
Mr_Green
Filth Wizard

Quick question, don't know if it's been asked before: How do you feel when someone compares your sound or elements of your album to another artist?

I would imagine it'd be annoying, especially if you weren't trying to mimic another band, even if you were influenced by them. But I know in reviews it can be an easy way to describe a new album... I mean, I do it myself a lot, but when I think of someone else doing it to me, I feel a little offended!
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #56 (permalink)
Furious George
Jeremy's Iron

It can be frustrating when people take a narrow view of these matters- they hear similar devices and assume the melodies and chord patterns are unoriginal, which is patently wrong in many cases (but sometimes correct haha). For example if you break down our music we have harmonized electric guitars, keyboards, deep growls and some acoustic interludes therefore we follow Insomnium. If you actually listen to the melodies, harmonies and chords (beyond a superficial analysis) I think most of our stuff is very different however. A lot of listeners have trouble seperating the use of instrument techniques from the music itself- and this isn't limited to us obviously, am astonished that people think cannibal corpse is generic when the music is really quote unique, for example.

But yeah, overall l think the majority of feedback recognizes that like all bands we have built originality on to elelmenta that are no doubt borrowed (or stolen if you don't like us). But that could just be my vanity

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #57 (permalink)
poidaobi
Held in Hollows

I generally don't bother with reviews that spends half the time comparing bands with other bands.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM   #58 (permalink)
Mr_Green
Filth Wizard

Yeah, fair enough. I don't see the point why someone would listen to something new to their ears only so they can bash it for sounding generic. Pretty thoughtless. I guess it comes down to a person's skill at writing reviews and knowing their music, too.

But I mean, say if someone were just using another artist that was well known to help them explain how your music sounds on first impression - would that bother you? If they weren't simply labelling your stuff as unoriginal, but were actually trying to use a familiar name to describe in a written format something that goes beyond words? If that makes sense. :P

I mean there's only so many adjectives you can cram into a review, and if you're the kind of person who knows nothing about the technical aspects of songwriting and instrumentation, how easy is it to revert to comparison with other bands to try to get your point across?
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:02 AM   #59 (permalink)
Mr_Green
Filth Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
But yeah, overall l think the majority of feedback recognizes that like all bands we have built originality on to elelmenta that are no doubt borrowed (or stolen if you don't like us). But that could just be my vanity
btw, agreed. To both :P
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM   #60 (permalink)
fifthwinter

I agree with george - people hear acoustic guitars, the odd twin guitar harmony and harsh vocals, and immediately seem to class it as being the same as Insomnium (in some cases).
There are no doubt elements that the two bands share, but it's like saying that Indian and Chinese cuisines are the same because they both use rice and beef :P
I really enjoy seeing reviews where they refer to elements of the songwriting that go beyond the instruments which are used, such as (again, as george said), chord progressions, the use of one riff or idea in several forms throughout a song, structural arrangement of riffs, and so on.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:34 AM   #61 (permalink)
Mr_Green
Filth Wizard

Ah. Well, I'm clueless about riff structures. But I do like your song structures and chord progressions. Very much so. Different to many other sorts of metal I listen to. Always makes me feel like I'm going on a journey. One with lots of bends in the road! :P Honestly. I think that's what adds the slightly "progressive" element to your overall sound.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:06 AM   #62 (permalink)
Juho M

As a person, who writes reviews, I must say that using another band as a reference in a review doesn't usually mean that you are practically claiming that the bands sound exactly alike one another. For me, it's just a means to give recommendations.

With that being said, I also don't think that Insomnium is the best refence for Stone's Reach. Furthermore and without drowning my nose too much in brown substances, I must also add that I do agree with George; Stone's Reach is definitely very original sounding album, i.e. it would be sheer violence to describe it by referring to other bands/albums.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #63 (permalink)
Goreripper
Metal as fuck

I forgot this forum was here! Go me. Anyhoo, here's a review I writed of your show in Sydney with Dreadnaught.

http://soundcellar.blogspot.com/2009...sydney_10.html

"Atheism is the arrogant belief that the world was not created simply for our benefit."
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #64 (permalink)
Blizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho M View Post
I also don't think that Insomnium is the best refence for Stone's Reach.
Structure wise, neither do I think that way. I usually refer Be'lakor to Insomnium because of sheer talent in the genre these bands have in common (incredible quality right from the start).

Quote:
Furthermore and without drowning my nose too much in brown substances, I must also add that I do agree with George; Stone's Reach is definitely very original sounding album, i.e. it would be sheer violence to describe it by referring to other bands/albums.
It's like this with any good band really. We can clearly notice their influences but they put songs together in an original way.
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #65 (permalink)
Blizk

5+ / 6
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:10 AM   #66 (permalink)
fifthwinter

A few new reviews: \m/

Lords of Metal (93/100):
http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showrevie...=14723&lang=en

Metal Storm (9/10):
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=7188

The Metal Forge (8.5/10):
http://www.themetalforge.com/modules...ontent&id=2450
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #67 (permalink)
jpmuikku

Kolonized Mag

Be'lakor will appear on upcoming Kolonized Mag issue. Release 28.11.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #68 (permalink)
Blizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuikku View Post
Kolonized Mag
Now there's a crack
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #69 (permalink)
fifthwinter

http://www.treehouseofdeath.com/?p=756
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #70 (permalink)
Mr_Green
Filth Wizard

T.O.D. usually do pretty good reviews; I'm glad that's one of the better reviews I've read of Stone's Reach. I agree with most of it, though again, there's a lot of throwing-about of "influences". In this case, I think the reviewer's done a good job of emphasising that Be'lakor is unique, not generic, because of it.

Actually, the way it was written reminds me of some some wonderful online chocolate reviews I've been reading lately, yummm.

Anyway, just popping by to see what you've been up to. Back to assignments now!
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #71 (permalink)
fifthwinter

Pretty cool review:
http://www.thedwarf.com.au/nd/albumr...reach_be_lakor
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #72 (permalink)
fifthwinter

New interview is up - with one George K:

http://www.metalreview.com/Interview...f-Belakor.aspx
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #73 (permalink)
Blizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalReview
MR: I read another interview where you state that a band needs to think internationally to be successful. What are you thinking now in your next step to bring your music to a bigger audience? Touring Europe/America might finally encourage some of the recognition you deserve, how are you going to get there? Don't say “by plane”.

GK: Our current priority is ensuring we get physical distribution overseas, and I’m pleased to say we’ve made some progress in this regard (to be announced soon).
c00l Hopefully that's still before the Kolonized Mag issue.
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #74 (permalink)
Greebo

I've noticed that Stone's Reach is one of the metal cds reviewed in the current issue of the (jb hifi) MAG too. When the cd was first released I wondered if it would get reviewed since JB is the main stockist - better late than never
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #75 (permalink)
Willow of oz
Enter custom user title:

Just listened to the JJJ interview - very good!