Be'lakor  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Be'lakor
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Concertmusic

Of Breath and Bone - initial thoughts

Since I am WAY too old to be called a fan-boy, I will start this thread with the honest warning that it WILL, in fact, contain fan-boy gushing - so be it.

I have just purchased and downloaded "Of Breath and Bone", and have only made it through the first track "Abeyance" - and already have to take a breather.

This opener sounds EXACTLY like the next track from a band that created "Stone's Reach" - which is EXACTLY what I personally was hoping for. I hear all of the elements that made the previous CD the best progressive melodic death metal CD I have in my possession, and I could not be happier about this.

However......the production quality appears to be even better! George sounds less muddied (not that this was a big negative last time, but it appears to be just different enough to be noticable), and more up front; the guitars lead the way with their usual force and passion, and I can clearly hear the bass and drums as distinct entities.

I am absolutely stoked, and very grateful to the band for spending the time and effort to give this new CD to us.

On the Track 2 - with a big, goofy smile on my face!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Furious George
Jeremy's Iron

Thanks for the feedback mate! Hopefully the rest of the album also meets your expectations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Concertmusic

Gentlemen -

Words fail me, so I will try to explain this as concisely as possible:

Based on your band picture, I have 10 or 15 years on you. I have played (classical trumpet) and heard (mostly classical and metal) quite a lot of music in my time, and continue to expand my horizons at every opportunity.

I have over 50 CDs and LPs of different performances of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony - the entire work, but especially the 2nd movement, if performed slowly and somberly, may be the epitome of music - and life, at least to me.

After one listen so far to "Of Breath and Bone", I 'fear' that it may assume a ranking in my music collection right there with the immortal Ludwig van Beethoven.

There will be many more listens to come over the next days and weeks - but I hope the above can convey in some form how this CD has affected me after one go-around.

Thank you for this opus.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
fifthwinter

Wow, thanks! Incredible to think that the album has resonated like that with you.
I hope it continues to do so for a long time.
Cheers for giving us your thoughts and for joining our forum
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Uneasy_Conscience

The album is awesome, for sure. The production is perfect and the songs are great. I need to listen more to let it digest....not sure if I can honestly say it's better than Stone's Reach :-) but I'm loving it so far. Especially Remnants....awesome song.
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
onedback
am ı me now ı see who u s

I still havent got my cd unfortunately but ı am sure the rest of the songs are kick ass.I havent heard apart from that 2 songs and dont know ı can maintain my patiance any longer
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Concertmusic

Over the weekend, I thought about my statement above multiple times. Using Beethoven as a point of comparison should not be done lightly.

Just in case there is any doubt - after several more listens on Sunday (and after not listening at all on Saturday to give it a break), I fully stand by my statement. I am still convinced that this album will stand the test of time, and I will still support this claim in a month, in three, in twelve....

I'll check back in a month on this post and will update - in the meantime, I am still discovering tiny little new features in each song with each listen.
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Uneasy_Conscience

that's what makes albums special ^. I'm that way with most, if not all, of Devin Townsend's stuff.
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
rouw316

Agreed regarding Devin Townsend's stuff. Would love to say the same thing about Of Breath and Bone, but I haven't received it yet lol Hopefully next week!!!
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
poidaobi
Held in Hollows

Dat riff - 2:15 of In Parting...you better play this live.

7:53 of The Dream and the Waking....fuuuuuark

Fraught probably my fav overall.....which means it's probably the worse song since I like Held in Hollows off Stones Reach. lulz.
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Blizk

Demand exceeded supply for the first pressing of CDs here in Europe, which is quite awesome if you ask me. The Finnish street date got pushed back to Wednesday because of it though
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Concertmusic

I really enjoyed the recent interview in Lorenzo's Kolony Records forum - in particular, Steven Merry's mention of the structured song-writing process you use.

Over the past several weeks, I have played a shuffled playlist containing all three of your albums on a daily basis, usually during my commute to and from the office, which allows me to concentrate best on what I am listening to. In hearing a random selection across all three CDs, it has become very clear to me how consistent your song-writing has been throughout these works. All of the ideas that you have expanded upon and bettered with every new album were all there in "The Frail Tide", but you have managed to improve and fine-tune many of the aspects. There is a clear progression of ability in all areas, but at the same time, you have consistently stuck with providing melody first, atmosphere, heaviness, and everything else second.

I have heard each of your songs about 15 times in the past month, and I am still discovering new facets every time I hear a track again. That is the measure of longevity - and I have no plans to change my listening habits anytime soon.

I continue to stand in awe.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Huckleberry

I just recently got into Be'lakor coming from bands like Insomnium and Dark Tranquillity. I must say these guys are phenomenal. I'm liking everything they do. It has a dark and brutal vibe, but with an underlying sense of intelligence and hope. Awesome stuff.

By the way, is it pronounced "bay la core," "bee la core," or "bell a core?" Haha, trying to pronounce this is like a tick on my ass.

Last edited by Huckleberry : August 2nd, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Blizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
By the way, is it pronounced "bay la core," "bee la core," or "bell a core?"
I think the last mentioned is close to correction
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thimon

Hey guys, finally some words from me too
Your new album is really phenomenal! Takes a while to get all the details and layers in the songs but is SOOOO worth the time invested. Listened to the album mostly while driving to and from work and all I can say is WOW. You outdid yourselves once again. No weak points on that album in my opinion, every song has a little bit of it's own vibe but they're all 150% Be'lakor.

Simply stunning
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizk View Post
I think the last mentioned is close to correction
"bell a core" it is. Thanks, brotha'.
Old August 5th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
fifthwinter

That is the correct pronunciation Huckleberry (and welcome to the forum).
Thimon, it's great to hear your thoughts on the album - very pleased that it hasn't been a let down for you!
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Huckleberry

Thanks. You guys are excellent. Keep up the killer tunes.
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Juho M

Impressive work again, gents. Hope you had a good run in the old continent.
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
CinŠed

Somebody recommended I check out your new disc.

So I did.

It's amazing. It's hard to find fresh sounds and cohesive arrangement in this era of sound-alikes.

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 03:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Tominous85

Loving the mind fucking riffs on Absit Omen, top album in my opinion