{forumname}  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Borknagar
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Victor Meldrew
OAP cunt

Danes vs. Swedes vs. Norwegians--- who were the best Vikings?

(We won't have a separate category for the Icelanders since they were originally Norwegian, after all, and didn't really go viking like their counterparts eastward did, having developed a more settled society).

Let's see... the Danes would be the early favourite, since they probably were more destructive than the others, especially in England. But they faded quickly, being converted to Christianity almost entirely by 1000.

The Swedes are interesting because they remained pagan for so long-- some even into the early 12th century. They were excellent explorers and tradesmen, but simply not as violent as the others (in relative terms, of course--- they terrorised many primitives along the Baltic).

The Norwegians were utterly crazed warriors. Almost all Vikings who used axes in combat were from Norway- insofar as archaeological evidence allows. Axes are slightly cooler than swords and spears, so that wins them some points. The Norwegians were the best boatbuilders and sailors of the lot-- witness the Gokstad and Oseberg ships for but two examples. The Norwegians remained pagan for a while- not so long as the Swedes, but still respectably so.
The Norwegians may be said to be, if not the bravest of the three, then at least the most pioneering and adventurous-- sailing to Iceland, Greenland, and then what would later become America is astonishing. All the more so when one considers the living arrangements-- sleeping in close quarters with men who looked and acted meaner than Grutle Kjelson for months and living on smoked herring.

The winners------- the Norwegians.
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
lemurian
porkchop sandwich

Thanks to you I've got that awful Yngwie Malmsteen song in my head.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dave The Templar
Pick Me, I'm Clean

The Norwegians were extremely brutal, but because of the fact that i am Irish i'm gonna have to go for the Celts!! long blond hair, tankard of mead in one hand and a battle axe in the other. It doesn't get much better than that
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Necramentia
no stop go away

AAAARGH VIKING WARRIORS PREPARE FOR BATTLE AAARGH!!!!!

yea. this thread just kinda makes me want to listen to einherjer.
Old November 21st, 2004, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
TravisW

I'm 3/4 Norwegian, so I'll give it to the Norwegians. Second place goes to the Swedes, because my gandma's dad was from Varmland. Third goes to the Danes, who have something stuck in their throats.
Old November 21st, 2004, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Evil Dead
Hail to the King baby

Here in Iceland you would think this was the only place vikings ever existed. But a shithole like this place has to have some kind of tourist draw.

Question, in Norway/Sweden/Denmark are there still viking remnants around? In Iceland they have some cave paintings..that is it. Do yall have ships or monuments that still exist?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jonki

Norway ofcourse!!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Illnath

I'm Danish so I'm very biased of course. But let's not forget that the Viking language was called Danish tongue. So I think that it is clear to say that the Danes were the best Vikings

Nah We were all equals in our own way the other. Our languages has changed a lot since then. But a large part of our vocabulary still has some of the old words.

One of the best examples is the word for Christmas which is Jul.

Jul was once something that the Viking celebrated but then it was converted into the Christian celebration of Christmas. The same name was still kept.

Just one second, and I was left with nothing.
Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doompiper
gravesweetgrave

in terms of brutality the norwegians wld definitely succeed the swedes but i think that the swedes were more towards their beliefs and expertise...a kind of longer-lasting viking maybe..i think the swedes lasted longer n thus take the win
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crimson Velvet
S°nn av Syperi

Seeing as it was a norwegian who discovered America, I'll give us a point for that as well!
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Templar
The Norwegians were extremely brutal, but because of the fact that i am Irish i'm gonna have to go for the Celts!! long blond hair, tankard of mead in one hand and a battle axe in the other. It doesn't get much better than that
The Irish were Gaels not Celts. I'm not going into the detail but if your from Dublin you should know Mael Mordha. http://www.maelmordha.com
Rob has writings on it that explains a lot of stuff and the history.

As for me, I'll pick the Gaels on the same basis of bein Irish.
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
TravisW

Although, the Gaels and Celts are automatically disqualified, due to their "non-Scandinavian" status. Granted, a good number of Vikings settled in Dublin, but has no bearing on the Gaels nor the Celts.
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Eire

Indeed they did. And unfortunatly for them, the work they left behind gets built on rather than preserved. Stupid greedy Irish.

Well, since Gaels and Celts are disqualified, I'm going to go for which ever Vikings landed in Dublin and gave us a bit of history.
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Innipunn

Location: Trondheim, Norway, Europe, Earth, Milkyway, Universe
Norwegians for Odin's sake!
Old December 1st, 2004, 02:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
RivfadÝr
Fuzzy Old One

I'm Danish, but I think that both we and the swedes suck. Icelandics and norwegians are cool. But I still haven't forgiven them for discovering America. We could have done without that.

Support Heidra. Great Danish folk metal.
My CD's.
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doompiper
gravesweetgrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivfadÝr
I'm Danish, but I think that both we and the swedes suck. Icelandics and norwegians are cool. But I still haven't forgiven them for discovering America. We could have done without that.
yes we cld all agree with that...u must be psychic..
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Innipunn

Location: Trondheim, Norway, Europe, Earth, Milkyway, Universe
Blame Colombus. He was the one who killed the indians (in the name of god offcourse, cruel christianity! ) and made it possible for people to move there. :

Last edited by Innipunn : December 2nd, 2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
lemurian
porkchop sandwich

Wow. Your knowledge of American history is quite impressive. The state of education in Norway must be top notch!!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Necramentia
no stop go away

yea, he actually killed them in the name of fear. and spices. and land.
Old December 4th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Dj÷full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead
Here in Iceland you would think this was the only place vikings ever existed. But a shithole like this place has to have some kind of tourist draw.

Question, in Norway/Sweden/Denmark are there still viking remnants around? In Iceland they have some cave paintings..that is it. Do yall have ships or monuments that still exist?
I suppose you live in the Keflavik area, yes that's kind of a shithole.. but there is abundance of beautiful places beside that place IMO.
Never heard of cave paintings here dude... just some remnannts of houses and graves(weapons, clothes, jewelry etc.) and houses for livestock. Some boats too but not decorated ones.
Leifur EirÝkson the son of EirÝkur rau­i(Eric the red who "discovered" Greenland) was born in Iceland and thus should be considered as an Icelander. He "discovered" America" (of course native americans were there way before)
Old December 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
EvilRealm

Kvenland

Also there exists icelandic saga called "Fundinn Noregr", which tells about ancient Finnish kings of Kvenland (Kainuu now) who had possessions all over scandinavia, and the most known one's, king Fornjortr's son Norre founded Norway. Today, on the north part of Norway i think, still live people called "Kvens".

Finnish viking called Thorfinn and his men accompanied with norwegians on raids, and these finns taught them to 'lead the wind', and it was so impressive that norwegians called it magic. From there originated the ancient norwegian word for magic: "finngerd".
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
webster

what ever the fisrt englishmen where they where pretty mad until the vikings raped the women and burnt doun there villiages damn
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Det Som Engang Var
Viking Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
The Irish were Gaels not Celts. I'm not going into the detail but if your from Dublin you should know Mael Mordha. http://www.maelmordha.com
Rob has writings on it that explains a lot of stuff and the history.

As for me, I'll pick the Gaels on the same basis of bein Irish.
I'm a little confused about Cluain Tarbh, who were the Gaels fighting? I heard mention of vikings but which side were they on? If the Irish aren't Celtics, then who is? Aren't Switerzland also Gaels?
Originally Posted by Dead_Lioness View Post
having a pet > not having a pet
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zephyrus
Tyrants and Slaves

Norskies
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
My Arms, Your Purse
I Steal Things

Nordmenn selvf°lgelig.