Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com
 
Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Life > Chat


Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
bamzekoz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 3
Dubstep..

Dubstep isnt REAL music, any1 agree with me? o: Give me ur opinions
__________________
Music is my drug, and spotify is my dealth
bamzekoz is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
HipnikDragomir
Il Greeco
 
HipnikDragomir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 61
Music is sounds that form rhythm/melody/beat, etc. Therefore, dubstep is music, random as it may be.
__________________
HipnikDragomir is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
SouthernAbyss
Listener of Metal
 
SouthernAbyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Down under
Posts: 88
It's fact that Dubstep is indeed music

Despite our hate for it, that'll never change
Just like everyone else on this great forum, I dislike the concept of dubstep, I find it rather pointless, but then again, listeners of dubstep would find metal pointless, so it's a two way street...









Metal is better
SouthernAbyss is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
i'm freinds with a guy that has the word "dubstep" tattooed on his leg

but i totally agree with the original poster on this one, dubstep isn't really music
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Awesome Metal Bands
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 68
crudstep, with rubbish generic lyrics or no vocals at all, with metal you get wonderful array of lyrics, I love the fantasy type lyrics, epically from symphonic metal.
__________________
Welcome to AWESOME METAL BANDS the #1 metal website dedicated
to symphonic metal and female fronted metal bands.




Awesome Metal Bands is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
darksoldier
Zodiac
 
darksoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Black gates of hell
Posts: 69
Most of it all dubstep music is computer generated with the use of software. I cannot see how this can be "Real" music compared to the instruments and vocals used in metal bands, rock bands etc.
My brother listens to all that crap and we are forever debating over what is the best, though since metal has awesome lyrics and epic tunes i'm always winning the debate.
Dubstep though I think would suck more without their computer generated music...
__________________
The awakened shall rise to the unforgiven chant of the lost souls!
darksoldier is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoldier View Post
Most of it all dubstep music is computer generated with the use of software. I cannot see how this can be "Real" music compared to the instruments and vocals used in metal bands, rock bands etc.
My brother listens to all that crap and we are forever debating over what is the best, though since metal has awesome lyrics and epic tunes i'm always winning the debate.
Dubstep though I think would suck more without their computer generated music...
my understanding is that dubstep is nothing but altered versions of existing songs, (my freinds commonly use the phrase "the dubstep version of that song") and that the music is altered with the use of software specifically designed for creating dubstep music, so it's not really music, it's more like a "computer-generated facsimile of music"
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
DroneDoomndDeath
Junior Member
 
DroneDoomndDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: A cold, dead place.
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamzekoz View Post
Dubstep isnt REAL music, any1 agree with me? o: Give me ur opinions
You may not like it, that however does not change that it is, in fact, music.
DroneDoomndDeath is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
User 666
Melodic Death Metal
 
User 666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 35
I don't know what is 'real music' but unfortunately dubstep is music. It may be simple or shitty, but still it's music. By the way i don't like it either...
User 666 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
VladimirPocket
Junior Member
 
VladimirPocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
my understanding is that dubstep is nothing but altered versions of existing songs, (my freinds commonly use the phrase "the dubstep version of that song") and that the music is altered with the use of software specifically designed for creating dubstep music, so it's not really music, it's more like a "computer-generated facsimile of music"
No, dubstep is more than just remixes. 'Popular' dubstep isn't real dubstep. When people usually say they like it, they mean Skrillex, Knife Party and all those types of artists who are making a dubstep-influenced genre.
This is an example of real, British, original dubstep:

This is Skrillex, an example of 'fake' dubstep. It's louder, faster and has more of those stylistic growl things. It's an American version of the British dubstep that started in the 90s:
VladimirPocket is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
VladimirPocket
Junior Member
 
VladimirPocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
my freinds commonly use the phrase "the dubstep version of that song"
It's the same as saying 'the rock/metal/dance version of that song'
There are metal versions of non-metal songs, so it still works the same way.
VladimirPocket is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Butt
Boys, smokes, let's go!
 
The Butt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Getting my grade 10.
Posts: 7,220
Skrillex haters = fags

Dubstep haters = fags to the max
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onder View Post
and when one finds a guy to discuss shit with that shares same hobbies and likes Bach and Paysage d'Hiver too the guy will try to fuck her because no girl ever talked to him like that and probably even rape her because he's deranged and that sucks because he's ugly. I mean, Paysage de fucking HIVER. Ice cold anti-social. Should have seen it coming, bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoda77 View Post
Haha, I'm glad that I have a negative influence on your life. Smoke Beers and worship Satan. Heavy metal vomit party drink a thousand beers.
The Butt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hatredcopter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
While i am new to this online comunity and am treading on unfammilier territory i shall always maintain that i am not a hater infact i find dubstep somewhat catchy but computers arent instruments they never will be and shall end my rant with this, i'd rather beat someone to death witha mac then use it to make music
Hatredcopter is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Xerses69
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
I think dubstep is music there are plenty of critics who argue metal is not music because of dissonance tone speed and structure so since when have so many "metal heads" became snobbish elitist cunts about anything unfit of metal standards.
I see this kind of shit all over the forum to tell you the truth I miss pre-internet era culture in the fact that people didn't just pick a side but they gave a fair assessment to any kind of music...
A. Because we pick sides its that much more easy for the music industry we hate so much to make money because you catergorize MUSIC for marketability
B.PULL YOUR BLOATED HEADS OUT YOUR ASS music is subjective emotional and experimental its easy to take a hitler stance when 90% of the music you listen to comes from one genre.
__________________
metal
Xerses69 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
VladimirPocket
Junior Member
 
VladimirPocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
While i am new to this online comunity and am treading on unfammilier territory i shall always maintain that i am not a hater infact i find dubstep somewhat catchy but computers arent instruments they never will be and shall end my rant with this, i'd rather beat someone to death witha mac then use it to make music
I disagree.
When used right, computers are certainly instruments in my opinion.
Take this: (I know it's a sad reference with it being the soundtrack to a game, but the point remains valid)

That song was made entirely on a computer, the guy who recorded it never touched an instrument.
I'd say it's music, and therefore makes computers an instrument.
VladimirPocket is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
AllShallFall
Senior Member
 
AllShallFall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Inland Empire (California)
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butt View Post
Skrillex haters = fags

Dubstep haters = fags to the max
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderchrist View Post
Great taste, my friend.
AllShallFall is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
AllShallFall
Senior Member
 
AllShallFall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Inland Empire (California)
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerses69 View Post
I think dubstep is music there are plenty of critics who argue metal is not music because of dissonance tone speed and structure so since when have so many "metal heads" became snobbish elitist cunts about anything unfit of metal standards.
I see this kind of shit all over the forum to tell you the truth I miss pre-internet era culture in the fact that people didn't just pick a side but they gave a fair assessment to any kind of music...
A. Because we pick sides its that much more easy for the music industry we hate so much to make money because you catergorize MUSIC for marketability
B.PULL YOUR BLOATED HEADS OUT YOUR ASS music is subjective emotional and experimental its easy to take a hitler stance when 90% of the music you listen to comes from one genre.
ctfd
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderchrist View Post
Great taste, my friend.
AllShallFall is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
melodeathbass
Junior Member
 
melodeathbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ankara,Turkey
Posts: 16
if who use bass and drums for dubstep i'm going to kill them one by one.
melodeathbass is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Butt
Boys, smokes, let's go!
 
The Butt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Getting my grade 10.
Posts: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllShallFall View Post
I speak only truths.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onder View Post
and when one finds a guy to discuss shit with that shares same hobbies and likes Bach and Paysage d'Hiver too the guy will try to fuck her because no girl ever talked to him like that and probably even rape her because he's deranged and that sucks because he's ugly. I mean, Paysage de fucking HIVER. Ice cold anti-social. Should have seen it coming, bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoda77 View Post
Haha, I'm glad that I have a negative influence on your life. Smoke Beers and worship Satan. Heavy metal vomit party drink a thousand beers.
The Butt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
TheRoach'sFetus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 9
This really isn't a debate if Dubstep is music. More of is it good music. Which in my opinion its good for partying, or on rare occasions but I don't listen to it all the time and I do agree it is not very original at times but of course it is a matter of opinion and one who enjoys Dubstep or doesn't has nothing to do with their sexual identity as declared by some posts above. I hardly see what this irrelevant dispute has anything to do with the Metal culture...
TheRoach'sFetus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
KriZDondir
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17
When Korn can respect Dubstep (Skrillex) than I can do it also... I don't hate it.
KriZDondir is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Hatredcopter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Ok Vladimirpocket i'll admit when im wrong on something almost everytime, you have stumped me there, yes a kida bad example but you proved your point, dubstep can be considered music, still shit though haha
Hatredcopter is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
The Butt
Boys, smokes, let's go!
 
The Butt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Getting my grade 10.
Posts: 7,220
Nope. Check out Omnitica and Zomboy and then get back to me. Dubstep is awesome.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onder View Post
and when one finds a guy to discuss shit with that shares same hobbies and likes Bach and Paysage d'Hiver too the guy will try to fuck her because no girl ever talked to him like that and probably even rape her because he's deranged and that sucks because he's ugly. I mean, Paysage de fucking HIVER. Ice cold anti-social. Should have seen it coming, bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoda77 View Post
Haha, I'm glad that I have a negative influence on your life. Smoke Beers and worship Satan. Heavy metal vomit party drink a thousand beers.
The Butt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
matt schrauben
Curse You All Men!
 
matt schrauben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westphalia, MI
Posts: 1,494
The new Muse album has some dubstep-esque parts on it, and they sound pretty huge.
__________________
Entransient - Neo-Prog from Michigan - New music coming soon!

https://www.facebook.com/Entransient


Eissturm, a Black Metal/Ambient project. New album out now!

http://eissturm.bandcamp.com/


matt schrauben is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Baroque
Senior Member
 
Baroque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,239
Dubstep is music

"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture."

You could make an argument that some rap isn't music though, the type that doesn't have melody and harmony.
Baroque is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2010 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media