Children Of Bodom  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Children Of Bodom
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #426 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

I try to explain what I mean... See how in this song here the intro melody and the solo at 1:56 - 2:14 gel pretty well, they're not the same notes but they just feel together. I think that's one of the things that made especially the blue and green COB albums good. What is it that makes this solo feel together with the intro or whatever, is it because the background riff and drum pattern is the same? I think it's both the melody and the background.

From RRF I remember NMF guitar solo is quite wacky, SKO guitar solo has a catchy background riff, RtHaB keyboard solo is experimental, Ugly guitar solo is a downgrade of FTR solo... that's all I remember, cos they're not written in this epic way.

I think the solos need epic melodies, but they're also perfect opportunities to cast in some gorgeous riffing like Tie My Rope (3:07...). I really love it when this shit is done the way it should. This TMR solo section doesn't even have that epic melody, it's just a genious riff and beautifully done technical shredding, but even so it's amazing for this type of song. Then when you have a balladic song there's a different background and when you have an aggressive song there's a faster background riff.

Sure the solos in RRF are very technical and some of the riffs quite complex, maybe it's small differences but I personally love it when it's more catchy. Maybe the band's perception of music changes as they get more experienced in the technical side, but I think it should sound interesting and you should be able to memorize the solos so you rhyme and whistle them. I just listened to the solos of RRF and PMS and realized there's no way I'm going to remember let alone whistle this shit. It's what I think makes an epic song, that it's not just technical notes gunfire, but actually something very characteristic that won't stop playing in your head.

I recognize the pros of RRF these days as it's grown distance from the previous album, just personally I'd like the next album to steer away from thrash and go for atmospheric doom metal and industrial influences together with the best elements of old COB. I think this band still has a stone left unturned in industrial metal influences.

The Hoff

Last edited by (__Joonas__) : June 27th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #427 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

I kinda figured this 0:22 / 1:09 / 3:54 part is Hellhounds On My Trail chorus with some different notes and no keyboard.

Compare to 0:30. It could be coincidence... nevertheless, COB has the keyboards on top to make the riff more distinct and dramatic.

Both fucking rock so I don't care. I just wish Blooddrunk had a bit more standing out guitar tone like the other artist.

The Hoff

Last edited by (__Joonas__) : June 27th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #428 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

Wow this forum is so dead.

The Hoff
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #429 (permalink)
ESA1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximHateCrew View Post
Belgium <3 why did they not stay
Quote from some interview in Guitar World from 2005. Full interview found on page 2 of the "COB Interviews" thread.

As it happened, one of the band’s demos ended up at a now-defunct indie label in Belgium. Considering the musical climate of the times, Laiho had no expectations that a record contract was in his group’s immediate future. So, when the Belgians offered to put out a Children of Bodom record, he jumped at the opportunity. “It was the shittiest contract ever. We had to pay to record the album. Then we had to buy 1,000 copies to sell ourselves. It was ridiculous, but we didn’t think we’d get anything better.”
On a whim, Laiho passed a copy of the band’s tape to an employee at Spinefarm Records, one of Europe’s more active extreme metal labels. To everyone’s surprise the exec loved it and offered to sign the group. ”Unfortunately, we already had the contract with the Belgians,” says Laiho. “But it sucked so bad. So we told them that we broke up and couldn’t deliver the record. Then we came up with a new name and signed to Spinefarm.”
The name Laiho and his band mates selected couldn’t have been more chilling to their fellow citizens. Children of Bodom is a reference to a triple murder that took place in 1960 near Lake Bodom in Espoo, Finland. Four teens went camping; three died, one made it out alive. The killer got away and for years the police failed to solve the crime.

Joonas. Why is this forum dead? It's not any more un-active than normally, unless you count the times shortly before and after an album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESA1996 View Post
OMG 100th post! I'm a senior!!! YEAAAAAH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKatarn View Post
OMG 300th post! I'm a faggot!!! YEAAAAAH!
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #430 (permalink)
MaximHateCrew
~ Needled 24/7 ~

Thank you for the quote!

My Youtube Channel

My wannabe COB gear collection:
- ESP Katakana + LTD Roope 600 + Korg X5D
- Lee Jackson GP-1000 (88') + Alesis QuadraVerb + Boss SD-1 + Roland JV-2080

Old June 28th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #431 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

I was just thinking, so the first album was originally Inearthed - Something Wild? And what was the original title of Lake Bodom? I think Laiho was asked this and he doesn't remember.

The Hoff
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #432 (permalink)
ESA1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by (__Joonas__) View Post
I was just thinking, so the first album was originally Inearthed - Something Wild? And what was the original title of Lake Bodom? I think Laiho was asked this and he doesn't remember.
Inearthed - Something Wild, yes. Lake Bodom was most probably called Something Wild before changing the name of the band, because in the end of the song they say: "Tonight's gonna be something wild", and then the song ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESA1996 View Post
OMG 100th post! I'm a senior!!! YEAAAAAH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKatarn View Post
OMG 300th post! I'm a faggot!!! YEAAAAAH!
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #433 (permalink)
mutran
Mutran

And I'm now wondering how Lake Bodom could be named like that if it aren't any references to the Lake Bodom at the lyrics. Or at least the lyrics I saw.
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #434 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

Because the melody makes you see waves of a lake, also it's kind of doomy. Somehow the rest of the song is very difficult to memorize. Vocals are great.

The Hoff
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #435 (permalink)
mutran
Mutran

Quote:
Because the melody makes you see waves of a lake, also it's kind of doomy. Somehow the rest of the song is very difficult to memorize. Vocals are great.
Well, just the intro parts and the end can give me shivers, but visualize the lake is beyond my mind, sorry.
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #436 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

Then you have a visualization problem, just my opinion. The song titles are not for no reason. Think about Towards Dead End. It doesn't make me see anything but it's got a clear vibe of coming to a hopeless end. One of COB's best melodies ever btw.

The Hoff
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #437 (permalink)
mutran
Mutran

Quote:
Then you have a visualization problem, just my opinion. The song titles are not for no reason. Think about Towards Dead End. It doesn't make me see anything but it's got a clear vibe of coming to a hopeless end. One of COB's best melodies ever btw.
+1 with Towards Dead End. I'm always whistling the lead guitar riff, hahaha.

I see nothing in Lake Bodom just because I barely like the song. I hear to it with no emphasis so it's obvious that I won't see anything in that song.

For example, in Bed of Razors I always see "mediaval stuff", maybe because the guitars. And in Children of Decadence I see a beach burning at midnight while the first person is running in circles. Everyone has it perception, but hey, this is no the Visualization Song Theme, haha.
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #438 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

The Lake Bodom thing creates a nice contrast with it's fresh melody to what is otherwise quite a "dry" -sounding album, and with the desert artwork... gives it a distant and mysterious feel.

The Hoff
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #439 (permalink)
Leraios

I stopped reading this thread around page 8, where I realized it was really derailing bad and it was pointless to keep reading about Joonas' rants because.. Well, I mostly agree with him, but all I can do is wait and see.

Last edited by Leraios : June 29th, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #440 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

There is absolutely no news about the next album. Nothing. Everyone's disappointed to see it's not news posted but instead some Joonas rant, but that's all there is so take it or leave it. :P There is no reason at all to expect news for 4-6-8 months.

The Hoff
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #441 (permalink)
mutran
Mutran

If they booked the recording studio for late 2012/early 2013, there's really nothing to talk about.

I think a june-july 2013 release date, and I think I won't be wrong.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #442 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

Yeah. And if they keep silent about it again and the album proves surpriseless, then... bad stuff.

Now if I was their management I'd tell them to inform fans around August they're going to make a fresh sounding album with an interesting style change. Then keep the fans excited and informed about the album process.

It's all down to the passion level. At this moment I'm shit scared about the band having no fucking idea about their coming album. On the other hand the change of record label is a light at the end of the tunnel.

The Hoff
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #443 (permalink)
mutran
Mutran

Right. I expect at least some updates during this summer about new ideas, which won't be rare because early this year we had in some magazine that they were beginning to write some shit (but knowing Alexi that's bullshit, he doesn't write till the last moment nowadays...), so they can't shut up the mouth during this months.

I don't know exactly about the silence/updates during and prior the recording of Relentless but I hope they're share with us a bit of enthusiasm of the new album.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #444 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

They surely need a lot of enthusiasm to beat albums like Follow the Reaper or Hatebreeder... I say good luck trying.

The Hoff
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #445 (permalink)
<Arcane>

...after what was all written the last pages, you really wonder why this forum is dead? ^^
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #446 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

No, it's dead because of RRF.

The Hoff
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #447 (permalink)
<Arcane>

Not really, it was dead way before RRF came out
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #448 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

HCDR shocked the fans, AYDY changed the fan zine, Blooddrunk destroyed it and RRF buried it... or maybe nobody bothers to use forums these days, or maybe the tension is gone cos the band reached its peak a long time ago... you judge.

The Hoff

Last edited by (__Joonas__) : June 30th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #449 (permalink)
Necroraven

This forum is dead because of Facebook.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #450 (permalink)
(__Joonas__)
† Followed the Reaper †

Well if somebody has something important to say, he'll say it here.

The Hoff