Children Of Bodom  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Children Of Bodom
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Metalfan41

Jackson J-65

Anyone know anything about these? They're the stock pickups in my JDR and I'm looking at getting a new JP-1000 for it and I don't want to shell out 180$ for an old J-50BC. I was wondering if the J-65 will pair well with the preamp, or if there are any pickups on the market right now that are similar the the J-50?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
MaximHateCrew
~ Needled 24/7 ~

Don't you think The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread or off-topic would have been more appropriate?

My Youtube Channel

My wannabe COB gear collection:
- ESP Katakana + LTD Roope 600 + Korg X5D
- Lee Jackson GP-1000 (88') + Alesis QuadraVerb + Boss SD-1 + Roland JV-2080

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
phantomnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalfan41 View Post
Anyone know anything about these? They're the stock pickups in my JDR and I'm looking at getting a new JP-1000 for it and I don't want to shell out 180$ for an old J-50BC. I was wondering if the J-65 will pair well with the preamp, or if there are any pickups on the market right now that are similar the the J-50?
These are not from the same line as the j-50bc and I think these are just some duncan designed ones so it will not be the same.
There really aren't any pickups like the j-50bc on the market however taking a PAF and changing the magnet to ceramic will get you close!
You could also get the je-1000 first and install and decide wether you like it with your current pickup before switching (:

cheers

and yeah this should probably be moved
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Metalfan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomnote View Post
These are not from the same line as the j-50bc and I think these are just some duncan designed ones so it will not be the same.
There really aren't any pickups like the j-50bc on the market however taking a PAF and changing the magnet to ceramic will get you close!
You could also get the je-1000 first and install and decide wether you like it with your current pickup before switching (:

cheers

and yeah this should probably be moved
I'm thinking I'll do that right now, if anything I'll just get a J-50BC. I thought I read somewhere that the J-50 was made to be a clone of a pickup that was on the market at the time and Jackson didn't want to pay to use it in their guitars, so I figured there might still be something similar out there.
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
phantomnote

Quote:
I'm thinking I'll do that right now, if anything I'll just get a J-50BC. I thought I read somewhere that the J-50 was made to be a clone of a pickup that was on the market at the time and Jackson didn't want to pay to use it in their guitars, so I figured there might still be something similar out there.
I think it's supposed to be somewhat reminiscent of a Duncan JB, or just a standard PAF. But the J-50BC is just its own beast, never heard something like it.
If you dont dig the j65 with the je, definitely go for the 50BC if that kind off tone is what you want. That setup never fails
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Metalfan41

I found a guy selling some for less that everyone else so once I get my Paypal shit sorted out I'll be buying one now. Already ordered the JE-1000 so now it's just a matter of getting the pickup. Should I also get a J50N for the neck? I've never heard one before but I assume they're meant to be paired with the bridge version.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
phantomnote

Quote:
I found a guy selling some for less that everyone else so once I get my Paypal shit sorted out I'll be buying one now. Already ordered the JE-1000 so now it's just a matter of getting the pickup. Should I also get a J50N for the neck? I've never heard one before but I assume they're meant to be paired with the bridge version.
If you can get one definitely try it :P havent tried those yet, just have a standard duncan in the neck, sound good to me. I guess on the neck the midsound wont be as apparent, seeing as it's more bassy, low middy sound usually swallos the je-1000 with most neck pickups. But it cant be bad! go for it
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
wodanbrlam

Valuable thoughts and advices. I read your topic with great interest.

Old May 5th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
<Arcane>

I changed my J-50BC with my old EMG HZ-H4. Sounds a lot better with the JE-1000 than the J-50BC!
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Metalfan41

I've actually been looking into getting an HZ-H2 as they're low output (vintage) ceramic pickups, they measure almost the exact same ohm resistance as a J50BC. I don't want anything too hot on it's own right now, although I may pick up a J80C and J90C at some point when I can afford a new Carvin VM3. For now though I think I will give the stock pickups a whirl. Apparently they're actually J55s, not J65s, although I have no idea what the difference is.