Children Of Bodom  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Children Of Bodom > CoB Off-topic
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #1701 (permalink)
Leandro
¬¬

Is there laughter in Canada?
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #1702 (permalink)
Macharius
Thank you for noticing.

Canada is seriously number 1 on my list. The US is an embarrassment and it will be breaking apart soon. Finland is retarded; if you want to go to Europe, why not Switzerland or the Netherlands? When I imagine those places I see myself in a place far away from ignorant dumbasses and surrounded by awesome nature and pacifists who understand the difference between self-defense and unjust actions. I can go crazy into the fluoride in the water and other conspiracy stuff but I'll take Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland or somewhere in Northern Europe.

Oh, and there's less religious cretins those places also. Cha-ching.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #1703 (permalink)
TheKid
OFR

Feels good this side of the Atlantic.

Even though as a nation we're only barely better than the US
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveningninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Do you neglect correct math in the same way?

"2+2 isn't 4 dude"
"C'MON MAN THIS ISN'T SCHOOL AND I DON'T GIVE A FUCK"
Silly Muffin, 2+2 is 4.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #1704 (permalink)
Leandro
¬¬

Brazil isn't really that bad.

The hassles of leaving (and leaving behind family, a familiar language, etc) far outweigh the benefits - especially considering that scientists here get automatic tenure.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #1705 (permalink)
vikk
parangaricutirimicuaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro View Post
Brazil isn't really that bad.

The hassles of leaving (and leaving behind family, a familiar language, etc) far outweigh the benefits - especially considering that scientists here get automatic tenure.
that's because your family is not of dickheads, and you haven't been mugged 4 times, and everytime you park, toothless crackhead ask if he can take care of your car. Or if you live in this city, its like living on Jersey Shore, and you constantly want to punch people in the face. São Paulo is a breeze compared to here.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #1706 (permalink)
nicottine
kills

I don't know... I've already left my family and I don't have any friends in real life (just people to hang around and get drunk with). My parents, my friends, the people I care the most already live too far away from me. It's just my husband. He's the only person from all the ones I care about that I see often and would miss, but I have no intention to move without him.
About the language, I already speak English, I work in an English school where we speak English 24/7 and the rest of my life is basically on the internet, mostly in English too. I guess I'd adapt pretty quickly to the language, just get used to accents and stuff. The language factor makes Canada sound terribly attractive...
And c'mon man, I know this country could be way worse, we don't have wars, we have enough water to take 2 showers everyday if we want to, we have a a lot of different fruits we can buy for a reasonable price (really cheap if compared to Europe, but I don't like fruits anyway), the warm climate is nice depending on which part of the country you live... but this is it. It is impossible not to be bothered about our government and our politicians. And the music scene, ffs, metal scene in brazil is nearly nonexistent and most metal bands have to pay if they want to play. We also pay huge amounts of taxes on everything, to have nothing back from the government: health care service, schools, all broken! Not enough doctors, not enough teachers, no structure at all. Because the government thinks it is a better idea to bring a world cup to this fucked up country. I'm tired of it. I don't want to live in a place where I can't think about my country without being very very pissed off. a place where I have to drown myself on my tumblr world so I won't think about everything wrong that's going on...
and yeah, also the crackheads and safety issues. seriously, this place sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefined View Post
>implying Canada doesn't have northern lights, lakes and that whole majestic forest/snow culture bs
Dude, I'm sorry. I just didn't know that it was possible to see the Northern Lights from Canada... as I said before, I'm very ignorant about Canada, all I know is what I saw on Bowling for Columbine... I'm certainly going to read more about your country. Thanks for letting me know about that :]

Go check this band! (Death/Prog)
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #1707 (permalink)
nicottine
kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikk View Post
and you constantly want to punch people in the face.
^THIS
I live in a very calm city compared to Brazilian big cities, but I forgot to talk about the bricklayers. As I said before, I live by the seashore, so this is a city that requires constant maintenance, and there's always tons of buildings being build, and a few falling to the ground too (the dangerous and unplanned way). So this city is basically inhabited by bricklayers. So, EVERY FUCKING DAY I hear some joke while I'm going to work or going back home. At first I didn't mind, but I can't take it anymore. They don't care about nothing, most of times I dress like a guy, and still they make jokes, calling me and saying nasty things. Seriously, I wish I could carry a gun and just shot those pieces of shit. I wish I could smash their faces with my fists. But I can't carry a gun, I'm not strong enough to smash their faces, and even if I was, I go home on foot, and they're always on a bicycle. Seriously, this is another thing that makes me so pissed off.

Old May 18th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1708 (permalink)
Leandro
¬¬

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikk View Post
that's because your family is not of dickheads, and you haven't been mugged 4 times, and everytime you park, toothless crackhead ask if he can take care of your car. Or if you live in this city, its like living on Jersey Shore, and you constantly want to punch people in the face. São Paulo is a breeze compared to here.
Funny story: my parents just came back from Paris.

They were mugged there.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1709 (permalink)
vikk
parangaricutirimicuaro

Paris is one of the biggest city in Europe, its fated to have incidents. But still its different from every time you leave your house, you have to look over your shoulders all the time.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #1710 (permalink)
Undefined
Indefinite Entity

Saying Brazil "isn't that bad" is like saying Iraq "isn't that bad." What is being discussed is all subjective, and regardless of what does or doesn't happen to you, I think using the metrics set out by the UN or other organizations that rank a country's standard or living, etc... Brazil seems like a pretty shit place.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #1711 (permalink)
Undefined
Indefinite Entity

No offense. I mean, I just checked and you guys are 2 spots under Iran on the Human Development Index :\
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #1712 (permalink)
nicottine
kills

None taken, it's nothing but the sad truth, I'm pretty awere this is a shitty place to live...
I was checking now... we're way under Libya! I'm laughing here but I guess I should be crying.... It's even more fucked than I thought...

Did you always live in Canada or you moved there? if so, from where?

Old May 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #1713 (permalink)
Undefined
Indefinite Entity

I was born here, thank fuck. I'm not sure how immigration is, I know we let a shitload of people in but I don't know how hard it is to get in. And Libya has a fuckload of oil which lets them run their government services more easily so it will help them get higher on the standards I think.
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1714 (permalink)
nicottine
kills

My husband knows some brazilians who lived in Canada, they all say Canada is the best place to go if you want to leave Brazil. They say immigration is fine, if you do something related to culture you're welcome (their words, I haven't checked yet if this is true). According to them, life costs are lower than in Europe, although the country is just as developed (sometimes even more) as European countries. Safety, clean cities, nice people. I guess I've never considered living in Canada because one of this people who lived there is my husband's ex, who broke up with him because he didn't want to live in Canada at the time... I just don't want the same future, but I was being very stupid not considering Canada just because of something that happened over 5 years ago... and I guess I was too blinded in passion for Finland to consider any other place in the globe, but this new fact about norther lights in Canada... it changes everything.

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1715 (permalink)
Undefined
Indefinite Entity

To be fair you gotta live up north (not along the US border which is where 90% of our population/cities are) to see them. Canada is huge and I think a few provinces can see them up north, the territories can see them easier, if you move to a city in Ontario there's really not much hope to see them. But it's still accessible by bus trip or car if you ever wanted to see it. To be honest if you are hinging your future on whether or not you can see the Aurora Borealis I suggest you rethink this life decision
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #1716 (permalink)
NewWorld

My parents live just north of Quebec city, so still pretty southerly, and it's not unheard of to see northern lights. It's not particularly common, and since there's been more construction around their place in the past few years (hence more light pollution) I don't know what the stituation is now. What I find kind of shitty is the high humidity. It makes summer heat above like 25 C seem unbearable and winters feel like - 10000.
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #1717 (permalink)
Leandro
¬¬

Quote:
Saying Brazil "isn't that bad" is like saying Iraq "isn't that bad." What is being discussed is all subjective, and regardless of what does or doesn't happen to you, I think using the metrics set out by the UN or other organizations that rank a country's standard or living, etc... Brazil seems like a pretty shit place.
Dude...

Comparing Brazil with Iraq is just absurd. The thing about the HDI is true, of course - but that is only half the story. What we do have is a very large disparity in the standards of living between the rich regions and the poor regions.

Example: my state, São Paulo, has a HDI of 0.833. One of the poorest states, Alagoas, has a HDI of 0.677. If you're familiar with Italy and its rich-north/poor south divide, what we have is pretty much the same in a larger scale, for different reasons.

See this map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Br...tes_by_HDI.svg

I know that vikk lives in one of the dark-green states, and I'm willing to bet this girl lives in one of those too. So none of us actually live in any truly impoverished region for which "shitty" would be an apt adjective. So, nope, not that bad. Also, mind the fact that this data is 5 years old, and we've gone a long way since then.

We do have issues of course, and these mainly concern bad public administration. Overtaxing, poor public services, public elementary/high school are a mess, corrupt government officials, etc etc etc. Not everything is ruined, however. The undergraduate courses offered by our public (free) universities are comparable to the best in the world, and in fact, probably better. A happy exception. But is life, on the average, better elsewhere? Probably. Is it worth it to leave, and deal with the hassle of leaving behind friends and family, adapting to a foreign culture, immigration bureaucracy, and the eternal prejudice of people who'd think you're just a whiter hue of Mexican? Probably not.

Inb4 someone calls me a hypocrite because I'm saying that about 3 months short of moving to the US: I'm not moving permanently. After my PhD is over, and maybe a postdoc, I want to come back. Tenure!

Last edited by Leandro : May 18th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #1718 (permalink)
Undefined
Indefinite Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro View Post
Dude...

Comparing Brazil with Iraq is just absurd. The thing about the HDI is true, of course - but that is only half the story. What we do have is a very large disparity in the standards of living between the rich regions and the poor regions.

Example: my state, São Paulo, has a HDI of 0.833. One of the poorest states, Alagoas, has a HDI of 0.677. If you're familiar with Italy and its rich-north/poor south divide, what we have is pretty much the same in a larger scale, for different reasons.

See this map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Br...tes_by_HDI.svg

I know that vikk lives in one of the dark-green states, and I'm willing to bet this girl lives in one of those too. So none of us actually live in any truly impoverished region for which "shitty" would be an apt adjective. So, nope, not that bad. Also, mind the fact that this data is 5 years old, and we've gone a long way since then.

We do have issues of course, and these mainly concern bad public administration. Overtaxing, poor public services, public elementary/high school are a mess, corrupt government officials, etc etc etc. Not everything is ruined, however. The undergraduate courses offered by our public (free) universities are comparable to the best in the world, and in fact, probably better. A happy exception. But is life, on the average, better elsewhere? Probably. Is it worth it to leave, and deal with the hassle of leaving behind friends and family, adapting to a foreign culture, immigration bureaucracy, and the eternal prejudice of people who'd think you're just a whiter hue of Mexican? Probably not.

Inb4 someone calls me a hypocrite because I'm saying that about 3 months short of moving to the US: I'm not moving permanently. After my PhD is over, and maybe a postdoc, I want to come back. Tenure!
What I meant with the Iraq comment is there could be a guy from Iraq who hasn't experienced many of the problems that exist there, so he's telling people that it's not a bad place, despite the fact there is some bad thinggs happening in certain areas. Vice versa aplies, a guy from Canada could say how shitty the place is because he had a negative experience, etc

Obviously they're not comparable, I just meant that the overall state of a country can't really be guaged by some anecdotal evidence.

And yes, there is a lot of shit to deal with to leave. Is it worth it? That is up to the individual... like personally I won't put myself in that situation unless it was absolutely necessary, but if I didn't have family, etc like you mentioned it would be more appealing.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1719 (permalink)
Undefined
Indefinite Entity

And imo all those issues you raised are pretty big and not offset by free uni
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1720 (permalink)
Leandro
¬¬

Of course it can't be gauged by anecdotal evidence. But, you know - I live here. It's not just anecdotal evidence that ends up in my hands, most of which cannot be accurately conveyed by an index. In fact, each table I checked in the UN website gave different figures for our HDI - this is because the index is completely non-linear and thus does not remain invariant under averaging operations. I find this to be very undesirable, especially in a country where there's considerable regional variation. All in all, the index is just a rule of thumb, and to correctly assess any country's social situation you will need something a lot more detailed.

The problem with the Iraq comparison is that you're more or less tacitly assuming I'm some sort of prince, or that my life is very uncommon. It's not. In fact, if you would read vikk and nicotine's complaints again, you will see that they're either public administration issues (no argument there) or social issues. These are *measurably* not-that-bad in the regions where we live. I vote not to count things like the metal scene or "it's like jersey shore and I just want to punch people in the face". Family issues also don't count, it's not like this is the only country where families have dysfunctional relationships.

That and the fact that we love to complain.

edit: didn't say offset, said exception :P
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #1721 (permalink)
snowy
The Empire Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharius View Post
Canada is seriously number 1 on my list. The US is an embarrassment and it will be breaking apart soon. Finland is retarded; if you want to go to Europe, why not Switzerland or the Netherlands? When I imagine those places I see myself in a place far away from ignorant dumbasses and surrounded by awesome nature and pacifists who understand the difference between self-defense and unjust actions. I can go crazy into the fluoride in the water and other conspiracy stuff but I'll take Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland or somewhere in Northern Europe.

Oh, and there's less religious cretins those places also. Cha-ching.
Germany > Schweiz
seriously! though they wouldnt want to be involved in your immigration plans at all anyway

EPIC!!

Quote:
And onto the ignore list you go.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #1722 (permalink)
snowy
The Empire Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicottine View Post
I don't know... I've already left my family and I don't have any friends in real life (just people to hang around and get drunk with)

gettin married this young, is that a good idea?

ontopic.....
well nobody can really say how it would be to live in a different country if you havnt been there yet and all you know about it is the wikipedia page :P Come on, that's something for you americans: When we had exchange students in school (thats like 6 years ago, these guys were 16/17 I guess) some of them were suriprised that we even have cars and roads here... they were REALLY surprised.

EPIC!!

Quote:
And onto the ignore list you go.

Last edited by snowy : May 19th, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1723 (permalink)
Leandro
¬¬

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
ontopic.....

Quote:
well nobody can really say how it would be to live in a different country if you havnt been there yet and all you know about it is the wikipedia page :P
This!

Quote:
well nobody can really say how it would be to live in a different country if you havnt been there yet and all you know about it is the wikipedia page :P Come on, that's something for you americans: When we had exchange students in school (thats like 6 years ago, these guys were 16/17 I guess) some of them were suriprised that we even have cars and roads here... they were REALLY surprised.
How's that even possible?

Last edited by Leandro : May 19th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #1724 (permalink)
nicottine
kills

Snowy
It just happened, we're not going to do all the paper stuff for marriage, that only makes things difficult when we decide to break up... We just lhave been living together for a while (a year and a half I guess). husband/wife is just they way we call each other because we don't really know what would be the proper term

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #1725 (permalink)
Macharius
Thank you for noticing.

I'd move to Krautland too, shit. Maybe even northern Italy.