Children Of Bodom  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Children Of Bodom > CoB Off-topic
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack (55) Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:07 AM   3 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #8051 (permalink)
The Emptier
t3h b3aSt0rZ

god why do finnish people always rule at guitar? im watching tons of vids of finnish guys that have only been playing like 3 years and they're amazing what is up with that? makes me feel like im not practicing enough

Youtube
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:17 AM   #8052 (permalink)
Chairman Kaga

Less emo music there?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:22 AM   #8053 (permalink)
Ruins
is zayebated

Quote:
Originally Posted by failure_of_threads View Post
god why do finnish people always rule at guitar? im watching tons of vids of finnish guys that have only been playing like 3 years and they're amazing what is up with that? makes me feel like im not practicing enough
don't complain and be happy with what you have.
its not easy to have patience and to know where you stand but if you continue to compare your self and try to cheat your self it wont bring any good.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #8054 (permalink)
_Nazgul_

Wings of a dream, your Lake Bodom sounds like Nintendo. Start using more of the bridge pickup!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM   #8055 (permalink)
OvSeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruins View Post
don't complain and be happy with what you have.
its not easy to have patience and to know where you stand but if you continue to compare your self and try to cheat your self it wont bring any good.
Uh dude, he never said he wanted to cheat..? He said he felt like he wasn't practicing enough. He can complain if he wants..?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM   #8056 (permalink)
<-Warheart->
Fuck You Very Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by failure_of_threads View Post
very nice. but no amp pics?

and i was just going to ask you about your scalloping, when did you finish it?
Because I don't use an amp when recording. If you read, it says "I get all my recording tones from a". Anything you hear from me is with the PX4 and PX4 only. The only exceptions are a few things on my soundclick but noones asking about those.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:57 AM   #8057 (permalink)
the phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Kaga View Post
Less emo music there?
+1

10 times more Americans get caught up in the emoshit so they wont ever be good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanina
america, land of waffles and pron
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM   #8058 (permalink)
Ruins
is zayebated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeee View Post
Uh dude, he never said he wanted to cheat..? He said he felt like he wasn't practicing enough. He can complain if he wants..?
off course he can complain if he wants, i was just trying to cheer him up.
i guess i wasn't so much cheering up
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM   #8059 (permalink)
┼Victim of the Night┼

Quote:
Originally Posted by <-Warheart-> View Post
I made a video demonstration of the gear I use 'cause everyone keeps asking me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YNPJso_vxoM
Nice, Mitch...now you've become an expert in vids. And I agree with Mick, you chose a nice song too!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM   #8060 (permalink)
Muffin
Dawn

Question.

How would you's play this?
I play it 3 fingers and slide and repeat sequence for the 4 note run

now, should i pick all notes, or leave the slide note unpicked? Up til now i have only done the slide with no pick, but it really sounds weird.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM   #8061 (permalink)
inhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Question.

now, should i pick all notes, or leave the slide note unpicked? Up til now i have only done the slide with no pick, but it really sounds weird.
Picking everything gives a more staccato feel obviously, if you can do both, then you can choose what fits the best. But i would play it with the fingers and then slide, picking everything.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM   #8062 (permalink)
FRETPLAYER_mx
Blood Member

Hi again,
It's Hatebreeder by me, enjoy

Here is another vid but it's a cover of the first young guitar demonstration.

Last edited by FRETPLAYER_mx : December 3rd, 2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #8063 (permalink)
Muffin
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhe View Post
Picking everything gives a more staccato feel obviously, if you can do both, then you can choose what fits the best. But i would play it with the fingers and then slide, picking everything.
obviously But yeah, i have to take some time to get used to picking everything i guess
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM   #8064 (permalink)
┼Victim of the Night┼

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRETPLAYER_mx View Post
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEltlCnwCI0

Hi again,
It's Hatebreeder by me, enjoy
I'm not gonna say anything about your playing cuz I still can hear the original song and I'm not a guitarplayer so can't understand well your tone and what you executed correctly and what not correctly, but... I'm glad someone finally played this song, it's one of the less covered ones, but I think it's one of COB's best songs, and also my fav among them all... love Alexi's and Janne's end solos! ..... *runs to listen to Hatebreeder *

Last edited by ┼Victim of the Night┼ : December 3rd, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM   #8065 (permalink)
inhe

Quote:
obviously But yeah, i have to take some time to get used to picking everything i guess
Woh, got a little confused there. What i meant was that i would play it with three fingers in groups of four
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #8066 (permalink)
<-Warheart->
Fuck You Very Much

Quote:
Question.

The first two beats are exactly the same picking and exactly the same fingering as the second two beats, just shifted up into 19th position. Slide or bend into the high E.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM   #8067 (permalink)
Muffin
Dawn

yeah but its not the riff, i just made it as an example, its hte technique. I cant work my way around it by doing that for the rest of my life, i gotta learn how to do 1 string runs properly sooner or later, no?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #8068 (permalink)
<-Warheart->
Fuck You Very Much

Why should you make things harder for yourself? There's obviously two views on it.

1. Learn to play ANYTHING anyway (like John Petrucci) just so you can...or

2. Learn how to play anything YOUR OWN WAY so you can play anything you want in the way you want.

Take the Downfall solo...

E- 24-22-20-19--22-20-19-17--20-19-17-15

That's the way Alexi plays it but that does NOT mean YOU have to. You can play it like:

E-24-22-20----22-20--------20-------------------------
B----------24--------24-22-----24-22-20--24-22-20----
G---------------------------------------------------23--

I'm not saying you should re-arrange every difficult thing to another way or something but most people act like they have to play something the way it says in the tab. You should realise alot of tabs are wrong and it's not actually how the player plays it.

I like 1 string runs too but the one you tabbed is just fucking awkward as hell and you don't need to do it. The ones Yngwie does are much easier.

-5-8-7-5--7-10-8-7--4-7-5-4--5-8-7-5-

or

-7-4-5-7--8-5-7-8--10-7-8-10--12-8-10-12--13-10-12-13--

At least with those ones you're staying in one position for the entire duration of the beat and so is the way I arranged your lick.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM   #8069 (permalink)
_Nazgul_

It easier for me too play that Downfall lick the way Alexi plays it...not the other way with two strings. I need to practice that more .
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM   #8070 (permalink)
Muffin
Dawn

Understandable.. I dont usually do things the way its tabbed, but i really like 1 string runs But i do get what you mean with the position changes, its VERY awkward in triplets. Riff was originally in just 16ths, but i just turned it triplets on the fly and put it up, hence why it looks extremely illogical. Thing is i usually do what you say there, what i could play it like, as opposed to how alexi does it. But the fanboy in me wants to do it otherwise
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM   #8071 (permalink)
the phenom

damn i should do a part of a song And record it with webcam tomorrow and link it here to get constructive criticism...i feel a bit like im in a dead end so id need help in advices of improving certain points of my playing. We will see if i have the guts tomorrow to do it...i was thinkin of doing a bit of Mask of Sanity.
Quote:

Last edited by the phenom : December 3rd, 2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM   #8072 (permalink)
┼Victim of the Night┼

^Well, noone is perfect and everybody must always improve somehow, so don't worry ...and "Mask Of Sanity"? Wow... that would be nice, yeah!

And hm, hey Mitch... excuse me, but I'd have a lil' request... dunno where you are at the moment but whenever it'll be that you'll be on the forum again and will read this, could you please upload that vid of you playing Sinergy's "Written In Stone" solo?
When you posted it on here, you did upload it only on youtube, without a sendspace link like you did with "Touch Like An Angel Of Death", and 'cause I liked it, I wanted to have that, if you want... otherwise, sorry if I asked, and it'll be ok the same. Thanks anyway.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:04 PM   #8073 (permalink)
the phenom

Yeah i recorded a "sample" now hehe. It was not perfect but i could not resist. I shall post it here when its finished processing on youtube. I did a few stupid mistakes and its just a bit of the song: intro,verse and the thing after that Well i post this for purposes of getting better. Also it looks like i would spastic arm a bit but that is WRONG My hand/arm shakes a bit because i had to sit in a bit akward position to be seen properly on cam so If anyone remembers my catastrophous attempt on Rebel yell and Children of bodom songs then maybe this will be a bit better So...ill post it right after its finished and tell me specifically stuff to improve on. Thank you already in advance So soon here comes a shitty sounding version of MoS

EDIT: Mask Of Sanity is my favorite song right now
Quote:

Last edited by the phenom : December 3rd, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #8074 (permalink)
<-Warheart->
Fuck You Very Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ┼Victim of the Night┼ View Post
^Well, noone is perfect and everybody must always improve somehow, so don't worry ...and "Mask Of Sanity"? Wow... that would be nice, yeah!

And hm, hey Mitch... excuse me, but I'd have a lil' request... dunno where you are at the moment but whenever it'll be that you'll be on the forum again and will read this, could you please upload that vid of you playing Sinergy's "Written In Stone" solo?
When you posted it on here, you did upload it only on youtube, without a sendspace link like you did with "Touch Like An Angel Of Death", and 'cause I liked it, I wanted to have that, if you want... otherwise, sorry if I asked, and it'll be ok the same. Thanks anyway.
Sure.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f9jn3b
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM   #8075 (permalink)
children of COB
Deadnight Drinker

@the phenom:we're waiting for it.this chirstmas when I get my new guitar I should record sth too with the same purpose as you.constructive criticism ftw,I might upload that Sinergy bits I asked Mitch to record in order to get tips form my own playing.I'll see.anyway until christmas it's impossible as the guitar is at the shitty studio where I'm recording the first demo for my band,it's a 10 square metres room,(actually it's our rehearshall place and the one who's going to do the recordings has brought a computer and some mics.we'll see where does it go in the end,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi
When they ask "So what is the story behind the Lake Bodom?" you go "Aaah peeerkele!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredtastical about Children Of Bodom View Post
i never quite understood why everyone starts hating these kinds of bands when they stop sucking yngwie cock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabs View Post
When attempting to express a point in an elaborate manner it should be flowing and quick to read, now excuse me while I go clean my monocle and buy a tophat.