code666  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Labels and Vendors > code666
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #51 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=9316

Rating: 8.5/10

Many bands coming from Greece whenever they chose a more aggressive sound pathway in the metal scene their most apparent references used to rise from Rotting Christ and Septicflesh, at least in the past. Within the last few years some things seem to be changing and Aenaon is one those "heretic" bands that had the vision/will to not worship what's already famous and follow a different road. Cendres Et Sang (Ashes And Blood) is their debut album and it's here to propose a more avant-garde aspect of black metal. The cover artwork (Lukasz Wodynski ) is tempting enough and holds a sullen grandeur of its own, a very good first impression is always welcome!

The saxophone during the intro ("Kafkaesque" - what a nice title) lends some hints n' tips of what will follow and "Suncord" which holds a Ved Buens Ende accent concurs. The soundscape becomes clearer and a maelstrom of ideas is about to unfold in front of your very... ears. We're dealing with a work that's paying its small tribute to aspects of more traditional black metal and at the same time pins the term "traditional" on the wall until it bleeds experimentation. Apart from Ved Buens Ende you will witness some references to Dødheimsgard, Satyricon and Shining to name a few that come to mind at the moment. Of course it's not only about influences, it's also about ideas and inspiration, it's all about respect and self-expression and Aenaon succeed in it. Order and disorder forge an ill-natured alliance that holds its basis in black metal with three neurons that transmit jazzy, some sort of mechanical vibe and avant-garde (the Norwegian way) signals equally.

Everyone involved in this recording plays an important role and it's quite distinctive, from the band members to the guest musicians (V'gandr of Aeternus and Helheim, Thomais Chatzigianni of Dakrya etc). The guitar work is fabulous; sliding melodies, razor-sharp or maneuvering riffing with a strength of its own, even some beautiful soloing ideas (you have to love the way "Black Nerve" opens) among a wide variety of ways of expression that enrich the soundscape. There's definitely something odd and welcome at the same time within some effects in the guitars and in general, mental euphoria, dissonance and a variety of conditions/emotions come to the surface. The vocals are vibrant, they lend their own pulse in the compositions. Astrous' throat is a coal mine, ranging from edgy and sharp husky grunts to ecstatic boiling (un)clean singing that entrances the atmosphere. Last but not least, the rhythm section is dynamic, non-verbose but with interesting key signatures and the most important thing is, it's omnipresent and not buried, after all the spot-on production is complimenting the album.

The album couldn't just reach the end with an outro or any other composition. The In Heaven cover (from David Lynch's Eraserhead soundtrack) is of extraterrestrial beauty, the more i listen to it the better it gets. Emotionally pompous piano melodies and a magnificent interpretation from Thomais in a Gitane Demone meets Mary (Mary And The Boy) delirium from a daydream nightmare that comes to life when the band emerges to make the overall ambiance even more suffocating. Had I been David Lynch, I'd work on an abstract video clip with Aenaon.

Anyway, debuts like Cendres Et Sang make this world a better place to live in, as for me, I'm already waiting for their second attempt.

Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

http://musikansich.de/review.php?id=10129

Unter dem Namen Aenanon fände man in Griechenland auch diverse Hotels. Hier aber geht es um die Black Metaller, die mit Cendres et Sang ihr erstes Album auf code 666 veröffentlichen und als "Avantgarde Black Metal" beworben werden... heikles und vermintes Gelände...

doch die Klänge des Openers "Kafkaesque" sind wirklich ungewöhnlich: Das ist schöner, durchaus moderner Jazz, der sich auch beim eigentlichen Opener "Suncord" noch zu Beginn finden läßt, dann aber erst zum Solo recht unverbunden wieder zurückkehrt und zwischendurch von der übrigen Instrumentierung im midtempo plattgemacht wird. Gelegentlich erinnern Aenaon an die alten Deinonychus (vielleicht erinnert sich der eine oder andere noch), und das ist nicht schlecht, zumindest haben sich die Griechen da was einfallen lassen. Warum Aenaon als "Avantgarde Black Metal" beworben wurden, bleibt mir aber nicht nur auch beim folgenden "Psychonautic Odyssey" rätselhaft. "Avantgarde" ist da gar nichts, trotzdem gibts guten Dark Metal, mal im midtempo, mal etwas schneller, mal mit leicht sphärischen Passagen; Ausnahme dürfte "Grand Narcotic Harvest" sein, bei dem sich die Griechen die Verstärkung von V'gandr (Helheim) geholt haben.

Überraschungseffekte wie zu Beginn bleiben auf dem Rest der Platte aus ("Black Nerve" wiederholt quasi das Anfangsmuster), dennoch haben Aenanon mit Cendres et Sang ein kraftvolles, gut produziertes und durchweg gutes (wenn auch ein bißchen langatmiges) Dark Metal-Album hinbekommen. In jedem Fall antesten.

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #53 (permalink)
astrous

http://dontcountonitreviews.blogspot...sang-2011.html

Band: Aenaon
Style: Progressive Black Metal
Label: Code666

Finally I can cover this thing, I have to say that since I found out about this full-length album I've been looking forward to it. This debut full-length is something I thought should have come out a little sooner, but I can't really hate on when a band gets to release an album too much. I've been anticipating this since I first found out about their 2009 EP, so, it's been a little while.
From the opening notes of this album, you'll understand that this band has no intention of trying to copy or rip-off another group's style. When you open a black metal, overarching term here, album with a saxophone solo, you should know you're gonna get something a little off the wall. So besides that, you also have influences coming in from blues and jazz, as well as some more "industrial" at times, I'm using the term very loosely here simply because some parts on a track like Grand Narcotic Harvest remind me of a group like DHG. You can't call the eight minute Black Nerve not a highlight on here, it simply has everything that a good progressive tune should have, good riffs, nice transitions and a hook that should make it stand out from shorter tracks. Album closer, In Heaven, is a little weird as well, coming from the famous David Lynch film "Eraserhead," it's definitely a standout on the album simply for it coming from that. They really make this cover unique, not only making it really extreme, but keeping the dark atmosphere of the original, perhaps making it even more of an avant-garde piece.
Besides this group's interest in experimenting, they also have a nice talent for writing good songs. Being unique and weird is all fine and good, but it's always nice if you can write a good song, and tracks like Psychonautic Odyssey really stand out simply because of interesting arrangements and nice riffing. While I would have liked to have heard some better choruses, the track they contributed to the "A Parallel Zoetrope" split had a great chorus and I would have liked to have heard some more moments like that, but I think the riffing on here is much better than on that song, so I'd call it an even trade off, a track like Carnivora's Lair demonstrates the band in more of that vein if you were wondering what that track on the split sounded like. This album also has it's moments of more demented straightforwardness, Kraanerg manages to make quick work of other tracks on the album by being the most consistent in it's aggression and intensity.
I really enjoyed this album and it didn't let me down on any fronts, great debut full-length. I'm sure the diversity will definitely turn some people off, but if you're into the more experimental side of black metal, I definitely urge you to check this record out. This comes highly recommended.

Overall Score: 9.5
Highlights: Every Track Is A Highlight
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #54 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

http://www.headbang.it/recensione/cendres-et-sang/10079

Sono attivi dal 2007 i greci Aenaon ma solo oggi arrivano a stampare (tramite la nostrana Code666) il primo full-lenght dopo "l'escalation gavetta" costituita da demo/ep/split (con i Satanochio). Il disco si intitola Cendres Et Sang e mostra una band matura ed acerba allo stesso tempo. Forse gli Aenaon hanno voluto fare il passo più lungo della gamba insistendo senza timore su un tipo di musica freddo e meccanico ancora da "svezzare" al meglio. Troppo spesso un senso di piattezza mi cattura nonostante i nostri mettano in atto un'ottima prova strumentale/compositiva (da rivedere solo la prova del cantante possibile causa di qualche "mal funzionamento"). La durata di quasi un ora di Cendres Et Sang non aiuta di certo, qualcosina verso metà album poteva e doveva essere tolta per favorire un ascolto meno difficoltoso. Tirando le somme non si scende sicuramente sotto una "valida" sufficienza, soprattutto con il pensiero di essere di fronte ad una band alle prese con il primo passo discografico di una certa rilevanza.

Per rendere l'idea di cosa suonino gli Aenaon immaginate il sound dei Dodheimsgard (privo delle sue folli sperimentazioni però, qui si va più sul classico) misto a quello che sono diventati gli Emperor negli ultimi dischi e certo lirismo di Arcturus e Borknagar. Su tutto questo (prodotto superbamente, questo bisogna specificarlo) applicate qualche vaga struttura melodica tipica della loro madre terra (se ne usavano in abbondanza con me sfondavano una porta aperta) assimilabile a gruppi come Septic Flesh, Nightfall e Rotting Christ, e il risultato è bello che fatto.

Le migliori canzoni le possiamo trovare all'inizio e alla fine del disco, la doppietta Suncord (notevoli nel piazzare chitarre greco/svedesi di assoluta classe) e Psychonautic Odyssey è di valore e spiana la strada al meglio (peccato solo per il seguente "cedimento"). Mentre la conclusione vede la presenza di una perla melodico/avantgarde come Black Nerve (forte trasporto generale e parti cantate particolarmente indovinate), e la cover "esperimento" tratta dalla colonna sonora di Eraserhead di David Lynch (magari un po fuori luogo ma a mio parere riuscitissima).

Peccato per il resto che come già detto rovina (ma non azzoppa) un po questo debut cd, non in modo clamoroso sia chiaro perché canzoni come Grand Narcotic Harvest , Once Infinite e Necroscope si fanno comunque ascoltare piacevolmente. Un voto sufficiente abbastanza particolare, ci sono doti e anche notevoli, si percepiscono e si sentono chiaramente ma devono essere perfezionate ancora meglio per colpire in maniera definitiva. Detto questo io lo comprerò lo stesso in quanto valida ed interessante testimonianza musicale e poi la copertina mi piace particolarmente.

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old June 28th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #55 (permalink)
astrous

http://bloodcultreviews.blogspot.com...g-code666.html

Cendres et Sang (=Ashes and Blood) is the new long-awaited full-length of the Greeks AENAON… The discrete and dedicated-to-the-cause path they have been walking from the very beginning has lead to this release by code666, a label known for its unconventional band roster. Such is “Cendres et Sang”, an unconventional album but instantly comprehensible by all those who appreciate evolution in Black Metal. Of course we must note that this release is not another mishmash of experimental tracks artistically “licenced” and bound to leave you utterly confused.

Yes, most DHG fans and experimental lovers will enjoy this one very much indeed, that is a fact. However, AENAON do not oversee their Black Metal roots and have “sculpted” the tracks in such a way so that there is no room left for musical vagueness while experiencing the album. For example, after reaching the peak of avant-gardism (e.g. chorus of "Grand Narcotic Harvest"), afterwards they do not hesitate to offer you an in-your-face blasting "version" of it, with no second thought whatsoever. This “recipe” has proven successful. The album is addressed to a wider, “trained” fanbase of experimentalism in Black Metal and at the same time manages to be comprehensible and straightforward, presenting a vast amount of inspiration which instantly travels you to higher planes of musical pleasure. This is really hard to accomplish and I must congratulate the band for their honest effort, ideas and technical skill. “Cendres et Sang” shouts for your attention and appreciation, as, apart from the music, it comes in a fully qualitative artistic “package”.

The guitar work is stunning, solos are enchanting, vocals are multidimensional and full of feeling, in total harmony with the music. Equally enchanting was "Psychonautic Odyssey" which brought in mind the "A Parallel Zoetrope" period (“I, Tyrant”), “Suncord”’s riffs are definitely some of the most memorable moments in the album, and of course none can ignore the simply amazing "Grand Narcotic Harvest". My personal fave has to be "Necroscope", after having listened to the album many, many times. A very special surprise is the closing track “In Heaven” (PIXIES), presented in a version of their own, reflecting haunting images of “Eraserhead” by David Lynch in your mind… This track is beyond description, you have to EXPERIENCE and not simply listen to it… It will leave you speechless after 03:30 min… There is no need to say more, I have to admit it has been a long time since I listened to an album by a Greek band that pleased me to such extent. Congratulations to AENAON and lets hope the best is yet to come! People, get this album… NOW! SD

Last edited by astrous : June 28th, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #56 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

LEGACY MAGAZINE #73 (printed - germany)

AENAON „Cendres Et Sang“
(Code 666/Aural/Soulfood)
Code 666 beweisen wieder einmal ihr Händchen für außergewöhnliche
Künstler. Aus Griechenland kommen AENAON, die sich gemäß Label-Info
dem avantgardistischen und visionären Black Metal verschrieben haben.
Nach einer Demo, einer EP und einer Split versuchen sich die Griechen mit
„Cendres Et Sang“ erstmals an einem Full-Length-Album. Angefangen mit
einem Intro, dessen verspielte Saxofon-Klänge den Label-Kollegen Blutmond ebenfalls gut zu Gesicht gestanden hätten, beginnt eine abenteuerliche, Black Metal-lastige Reise durch Leben und Tod. Unzählige verspielte Riffs, Jazz-Einflüsse, abstruse, unkonventionelle und dennoch packende Melodien und aberwitzige Breaks innerhalb der Tracks machen „Cendres Et Sang“ zu einem Erlebnis. Ebenso abwechslungsreich gestaltet sich auch der Gesang auf dem Erstling der Griechen, von Gekreische bis hin zu beinahe gehauchten Clean-Vocals bieten AENAON dem Hörer eine Vielzahl von Eindrücken. ‚Black Nerve’, mit etwas über acht Minuten Laufzeit das längste Stück des Werks, wartet wie schon das Intro mit passendem Saxofon-Spiel auf. AENAON schaffen es, diese ruhige und atmosphärische Passage perfekt in das Stück zu integrieren und das Ganze mit einem ambienten, beinahe Dronelastigen Outro ausklingen zu lassen. ‚In Heaven’ fällt anfangs mit sanften Klavierklängen und zartem Frauenstimmchen etwas aus dem Rahmen, bevor die gewohnte griechische Brutalität wieder ihren Lauf nimmt. Unterm Strich ist „Cendres Et Sang“ leider dennoch nur ein sehr solides Black Metal-Album. Die Riffs klingen untereinander noch zu ähnlich, das überwiegende Gekreische ist stellenweise beinahe nervig gleichförmig, und insgesamt meint man
stets, die eine oder andere Passage schon mal in ähnlicher Form gehört zu
haben. Potenzial ist bei dieser Band durchaus vorhanden, weswegen man sie unbedingt im Auge behalten sollte. „Cendres Et Sang“ ist ein Anfang mit viel Luft nach oben, aber dennoch ein Werk, das dem geneigten Black-Metaller gefallen dürfte. (WHO)

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #57 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

http://obscuraweb.wordpress.com/2011...ndres-et-sang/

Aenaon – Cendres Et Sang

Quoting the info sheet by the label itself, Aenaon play a sort of visionary black metal which is also perfectly blended with Jazz. This is not anything new nor original, since many other bands have tried this solutions in the past, but honestly only a few of them have accomplished in getting it done the proper way.
Hailing from Greece, Aenaon released ‘Cendres Et Sang’ (french for Ash & Blood) as their second full-length album and the first for italian label Code666. Since it’s pretty unlikely that operations like that generate easy listening albums, I’ve approached the listening to this album in a very cautious way. Honestly this has not been an easy task, because songs do not follow the usual patterns of classic black metal tunes, instead here everything is allowed, a total stream of black and jazz-ish parts come together.
In the end it’s been a very pleasant operation, since this album is very enjoyable by whoever is tired of old, over-satured, poor black metal songs and prefers looking for something more innovative.
In this case Aenaon is a band that can fit your tastes.
Artist: Aenaon | Title: Cendres Et Sang | Style: Avantgarde black | Label: Code666 | Street Date: 14/06/2011 | Website: official myspace | Country: Greece

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #58 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

http://www.femforgacs.hu/kritika/207...s_Et_Sang_2011

9.7/10

Aenaon
Cendres Et Sang (2011)
Related to the emerging Aenaon (the Greek word means: eternally flowing existence) I have already penned a review, so I would rather leave out the detailed past of this modern black metal horde, sailing in avantgarde waters, again. Let's concentrate on the present, since not even a month passed, since the notorious Code666 threw the band's first debut on the market. For the sound Strype Audio, also known as Tom Kvallsvoll was responsible, naturally he's professional and such cult formations bear the mark of his hand as 1349, Keep of Kalession or Code. The externalities are marvellous as well; Lukasz Wodynski painted the cover and made the illustrations up, Ra.design put a great digital booklet together as well, let it be enough - this work is international and I was waiting for this release, for this reason and not for this reason at the same time. Weekly I changed mails with these Greek guys and as they promised they send me this disc which was their own copy from their label. I was waiting for it so much and I got a little disappointed - not that much, as the points show as well - there's not much problem with the material. So only a little disappointment I sense, personally, since I see more in the band and I expected a more experimental vibe.

In my previous writings I often compared Aenaon to Emperor, as the latter one's complex and well-structured alternativ scape, if you like, a smart photocopy, so I intentionally wanted to experience how much they gave the mocking of the great forefather up (even though they did it well) and it became clear to me, based on our correspondence that they tried to move towards a little different direction. Obviously, Emperor are present at many places, but other compounds and vials appear as well; also the genre of jazz appears next to the huge amount of demanding solos and pounds. This compound's mixture is smooth at the maximum, it fits in and actually this is my problem, they could have gathered a little more courage. Anyway, often Ulver, early Fleurety and the latest Enslaved dropped to my mind.
Interesting enough, they have taken on a movie's musical mimesis too, bringing Eraserhead's grasped motions up to the surface , from the aberrant artistic distances of David Lynch, related to the In Heaven (Lady in the Radiator Song). The piano and female vocals seem really weird and gigantically they sound. Ok, when it comes to this topic, it might have been more advantageous to try William S. Burroughs's Naked Lunch, an adaptation by David Cronenberg - many times it came to my mind because of its sick visual and musical world - , even music-wise if we take these jazz themes. Maybe next time. Every song is well-composed, twisted with serious skills and there are two more advantages I can mention; first is the practically evident heritage, since this is varied and colourful, as I have just coined it up - so it never turns to boredom. The other positive fact is something which I feel less and less these days: Cendres Et Sang doesn't stream that certain smell of sweat, nothing was forced, neither a melodic nor a harsh part just to satisfy the expectations. Jazz parts mix so smoothly and soft and in a more recreational way, it sounds so natural, when saxophone helps us get ripped into the atmosphere. Long since I heard such a fine and smoothly deepening black metal material, which doesn't cross the self-analysing borders of exaggerrated artistic integrity. Next to the progressive solos and easy strikes, their lyrical conception isn't nominated for the award of usual clichés. Their lyrics elaborate over the existence of the spirit, the endless universe and many different and mysterious things which entwined life and death during the ages. Epic flights towards pathetic fall into nothingness, falls of deep essence and jazz motions turning to almost balanced jams, these are the characteristics of this long-awaited debut and two known guests also took part in two songs; Thomais from Dakrya and V'Gandr from Helheim. The only thing I regret that they haven't been even braver, though the heart of past's European culture is the place of rebellions and dissatisfied masses, striking in the streets, who are constantly getting milked by the government to fill in the holes which were pierced by the lack of the national budget in the past 15 years and these gaps get wider and wider with these restrictions. This hymen cannot be restored by fast bank packages, bond manipulations and structural transfers - and of course we are not too far from these things either, but let's not care about the future, but let's rejoice in present times, together with our Greek friends who - despite of their nation's and government's reefs - managed to put a professional material at the maximum level on that certain table, not just a little... but very much!

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #59 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.musik.terrorverlag.de/rez.../#seitenanfang

Black Metal aus Griechenland ist ja auch eher selten, zudem noch recht guter. Avantgardistisch geht´s mit dem passend betitelten Intro "Kafkaesque" los, Saxophon-Töne hat man ja auch nicht jeden Tag auf seinen Black Metal-Werken. Das setzt sich durch die ganze Scheibe so fort, Ambient/ Avantgarde wird hier groß geschrieben, was sich auch im progressiven Songwriting einstellt. Es wird zwar auch mal regelrecht gedeibelt ("Grand Narcotic Harvest", "Kraanerg"), aber neben dem harschen Hauptgekrächz gibt es auch cleane Gesänge (männlich wie weiblich) zu vernehmen.

Streichinstrumente finden auch Verwendung, die häufig auch mal getrageneren Tracks erinnern eher an epische BATHORY, denn an Früh-90er-Geballer. Dennoch klingt man in den blackigen Parts sehr nordisch (das langsame "Necroscope" erinnert von der Atmosphäre her an EMPEROR oder IMMORTAL!), von griechisch ist hier nix zu hören. Black Metaller, die auch mal ein offenes Ohr für anderweitige Sounderweiterungen haben, sollten bei den vielfältigen AENAON unbedingt mal vorbeischaun!
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #60 (permalink)
astrous

AENAON – Cendres Et Sang (2011, Aural Music)
Stil: Avantgarde Black Metal, Spielzeit: 52:54

Surprisingly, there are still bands around that I like a lot although they are not interested in all the retro- and rehearsal warfare noise and stuff. One of these bands are without doubt AENAON from Greece. I even liked their first mini-cd "Phenomenon" (2009) and the split-7" with the Romanian horde SATANOCCHIO (2010) a lot before. I listened to them several times during the last weeks and months. But this time it´s not as easy as before to get along with it. An intro with saxophone reminds me on old 1970´s Krautrock. And it seems this happens on purpose here! Of course, there´s still a lot of Black Metal, rotten vocals, much doublebass, often very fast, sometimes more rocking stuff. Here and there there are also hymnic and melodic vocal lines ("Grand Narcotic Harvest") which always do well! There are always nice melodies and - again - little saxophone passages in between ("Black Nerve") which reminds me a bit on PINK FLOYD´s „Dark Side Of The Moon“. Also, AENAON are not afraid of using female vocals here which is comparable to the later, experimental era of THE GATHERING. But most of the time there is rocking Black Metal in the veins of later albums by SATYRICON, DØDHEIMSGÅRD or THORNS; but not as weird. By the way, this album is totally anti-trend, very unique and interesting! It´s hard to imagine what´s gonna happen next with the band! I like it a lot, but you should listen to the album before you just order it anywhere! Check these guys out at: www.myspace.com/aenaonband

(to be released in German language in METAL COMMAND MAGAZINE in September 2011)
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #61 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

http://metalreview.com/reviews/6236/...endres-et-sang

9.5/10 !!!!!!!!

Score 9.5
Written by Rae Amitay
Published on 7/8/2011
Well, Greece has done it again. They’re already able to claim Septicflesh and Rotting Christ as their own, and now the Greeks have unleashed Aenaon. This avant-garde black metal group possesses such strong technical ability and songwriting chops that it’s damn hard to believe this is their first full-length album. Cendres et Sang (which is French for ‘Ashes and Blood’), is a wonderfully creative and exceptionally well-produced record that should not be overlooked. Aenaon has a mature and compelling sound, and they create their multifaceted, innovative, and chaotic brand of metal with four talented members.

To put it bluntly, this band has their shit together.

Aenaon opens the album with a shimmering saxophone intro (entitled “Kafkaesque”), followed by “Suncord”, which fully immerses the listener in black metal/jazz fusion that never becomes unlistenable or unnatural. Even though there are layers upon layers of genre-bending sound, the entire piece remains cohesive and engaging. The sections of atmospheric, haunting jazz are executed just as brilliantly as the momentous black metal segments. The band’s ability to create intricate song structures is certainly commendable, but they can also pull back and write aggressive and straightforward metal with mass appeal, as is the case on “Psychonautic Odyssey”. Even on this less complex track, Aenaon still incorporates their experimental side, and there’s Hammond organ alongside the chugging riffs and blast beats.

Every track has great strengths, and there’s something on this album that will resonate with every listener. Aenaon doesn’t depend on their use of unconventional elements to define their sound, and their appeal is deeply rooted in excellent songwriting and genuine brutality. Cenres et Sang is full of brilliant performances from each member of the band; The rhythm section is crushing and tight throughout dynamic shifts in mood, vocalist Astrous provides commanding mid-range growls, and the guitar work is fantastically versatile.

Any band that combines blackened jazz with David Lynch has my support, and Aenaon concludes their incredible first release with their take on the song “In Heaven” from 1977’s “Eraserhead”. Opening with eerie piano and female vocals, the unsettlingly subdued atmosphere is highly reminiscent of Unexpect. This soon gives way to complete mayhem, and the once-sung lyrics are roared as the decaying walls of sound come crashing down. Toying with the audience’s sanity for five minutes, the piece alternates between these two stark contrasts before the sinister piano fades into silence. “In Heaven” is an absolute masterpiece of a track, and a brilliant example of how a band can take pre-existing material and make it their own.

Aenaon has admirable focus, exceptional musicianship, and magnificent songwriting. While they have certainly been influenced by bands like Emperor, Shining (Norway), and DHG, the group has created an experimental, yet accessible sound that is all their own. After hearing what this band has to offer, I can say without hesitation that Aenaon has boundless potential, and their music is a force to be reckoned with

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #62 (permalink)
astrous

http://sonidosdelacripta.blogspot.co....html?spref=fb

Desde hace unos cuantos años la escena metalera griega nos ofrece un buen puñado de muy buenas bandas de relieve a nivel internacional, como Rotting Christ, Septicflesh, Suicidal Angels, Transcending Bizarre?, o Nightfall por nombrar unas cuantas, y viendo el debut que se han marcado Aenon, me da la sensación que no solo esto tiene pinta de seguir avanzando en el país heleno, sino que además los alumnos tienen ganas de superar a los profesores.

Lo que aquí se nos presenta con “Cendres Et Sang” (cenizas y sangre) es un gran trabajo vanguardista de metal extremo, más que black metal en concreto, que se nos presenta con una portada espectacular, siguiendo el buen gusto de artístico de los griegos, en el que ya empiezan a darnos muy buena impresión, pero como de portadas no viven los músicos, os comento que me ha llamado la atención de este álbum.

Comienza a correr la primera pista y nos encontramos con un recurso que últimamente utilizan varias bandas de black metal que se les etiqueta de “Avant-garde”, me refiero al uso del saxofón, la mayoría de estas bandas creen que están haciendo algo alucinante con esta introducción de nuevos instrumento, pero en muchas ocasiones el resultado es lamentable, en el caso de este álbum en cuestión se trata de crear atmósfera en algún tema y en algún otro complementa de manera sutil al resto de instrumentos, sin destacar especialmente, aunque tampoco se puede obviar.

Esta banda ha sido capaz de crear un paisaje sonoro oscuro, sin resultar en ningún caso depresivo, que te envuelve durante los casi 53 minutos de duración del mismo, siendo capaces de combinar elementos de la vieja escuela bleckmetalera con otros innovadores, consiguiendo un sonido muy moderno renovador. Pero sobre todo envolvente.

Aunque se trata de metal extremo, no me resulta especialmente agresivo aunque si aguerrido, la combinación de elementos de jazz, melodías de gran riqueza que se deslizan sensacionales y coloridas dentro de la oscuridad ( a veces épicas) y composiciones progresivas y envolventes hacen que este sea un trabajo muy fácil de digerir para la mayoría de oídos, aunque no estén excesivamente curtidos en los campos de batalla de la música extrema.

No deja de sorprenderme en ningún momento, afilados riffs de gran fuerza que suenan en permanente estado de euforia, unos solos de guitarra espectaculares y en general unas composiciones trabajadísimas que ejecutan con gran maestría, a lo que sumamos una garganta que gruñe de manera punzante y el resultado es una obra muy dinámica, de lo más entretenida y recomendable.

Esto es lo que encontramos en un álbum lleno de sorpresas cautivadoras, no será un servidor quien las desvele, pues perdería el encanto, solo decir que el remate del álbum es un tema, que simplemente te dejarán sin palabras… hay que descubrirlo.
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #63 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.beattheblizzard.com/?modu...ews&review=960

Rating:
9/10

http://www.aenaon-band.com
Label:
http://www.code666.net/

The four members of the Avant-garde Black Metal band AENAON from Greece, is out with their first length album “Cendres Et Sang”. Today, two of the band members are active in VARATHRON and NETHESCERIAL, while they have previously played in among other CHAOTIC SYMMETRY, BLACK WINTER, DUNKEL and SACRAMENTAL CEREMONY.
AENAON released a split 7¨ “A Parallel Zoetrope” in 2010 and the mcd “Phenomenon” with six tracks in 2009.

“Cendres Et Sang” is a mix of experimental and original Black Metal. This brutal, raw, killer CD got ten tracks. There is no time to get disappointed, as AENAON has focused on a wide range within the guitar solos, riffs, as well as the drummer performance. I admit that this is an incredible diverse album. The Avant-garde style is expressed through the musical portion of saxophone and other sounds and effects that occurs in the music.

“Suncord” is one of the strongest tracks on “Cendres Et Sang”. The rolling saxophone tones are one of the ingredients here. Through the ending section of the song, the vocalist pushes his voice to be heard, and the song just blows away like a beautiful storm, with tremolo picking and high flying solos. It becomes a pleasant atmosphere. There are nice rhythms and time changes in “Carnivora's Lair” with a range of different guitar performance. The band really shows their musical skills. I got a bit surprised when I heard “Necroscope”, mostly because of the guitar solo, which gave me folk/viking Metal vibes. This is a relative slow, but nice track that stands in contrast to the rest of the songs, which are more intensive and aggressive. “Black Nerve” starts with a fascinating solo. This restrained song pulsates up nice against the end of the album, with the sound of the saxophone that slowly cries it΄s tears.

AENAON lies at a very high level technically, and I suppose that they would have drawn a large audience at the Inferno Metal Festival.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #64 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

http://metalitalia.com/album/aenaon-cendres-et-sang/

L’ascesa della scena greca non sembra subire arresti: dopo l’acclamato ritorno sulle scene dei SepticFlesh ed il marciume messo in musica dai Necrovorous ecco comparire dal nulla il debut degli Aenaon, quartetto dedito ad un avant-guarde che non ha nulla da invidiare ai grossi nomi della scena. Difficile inquadrare la proposta del quartetto di Larissa, vista l’abbondanza di particolari eccentrici racchiusi in questo debutto, introdotto dalle suadenti note di un saxofono: la quantità di elementi racchiusi nell’opera non inficia l’aggressività delle composizioni, elemento sempre in primo piano in tutte e dieci le tracce incluse nell’opera. Contrariamente all’impenetrabilità di molte opere dello stesso genere, gli Aenaon riescono a convincere dopo pochi ascolti, merito soprattutto della freschezza ed irruenza del comparto chitarristico delle formazione: i riff taglienti e dotati di buona complessità bastano da soli a fornire un buon spessore al lavoro, rendendo immediata e talvolta catchy – il riff iniziale di “Psychonautic Odyssey” e le melodie di “Necroscope” parlano da sole – la proposta del combo greco. Il lato più diretto ed aggressivo viene a galla nelle veloci “Grand Narcotic Harvest” e “Kraanerg”, tracce che affiancano un riffing prettamente black metal break spezzacollo, samplers, parti in cantato femminile, arpeggi acustici oltre che ad intermezzi in cantato pulito. La particolarità delle melodie dell’opera sopperisce in qualche caso – “Once Finite” ne è un valido esempio – a qualche calo di ispirazione presente nel lavoro, contribuendo a mantenere su un buon standard qualitativo l’intera opera: riuscita e perfettamente integrata con il mood dell’album la cover di “In Heaven”, pezzo di David Lynch incluso nel film Eraserhead. Pur con qualche leggera caduta di tono “Cendres Et Sang” centra senza troppi problemi l’obiettivo e considerato che si tratta della prima pubblicazione ufficiale della formazione non possiamo che ben sperare per il futuro di questa giovane promessa greca: conclude il quadro una produzione assolutamente all’altezza ed un artwork che ben si integra con la particolarità della musica degli Aenaon. Un succulento inizio di carriera.

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #65 (permalink)
astrous

http://dontcountonitreviews.blogspot...s-astrous.html

AENAON INTERVIEW
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM   #66 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

SPARK MAGAZINE (august - printed - czech rep)

AENAON
Cendres Et Sang
CODE666 – 52:58
black metal
Takový debut, jaký právě vydávají řečtí AENAON,
se jen tak nevidí. „Cendres Et Sang“ je blackmetalové
album s dekadentním saxofonovým intrem
věnovaným Franzi Kafkovi, závěrem v podobě coververze
písně „In Heaven“ ze surrealistického hororu
Davida Lynche „Mazací hlava“ a roztančeným
rock’n’rollovým rytmem, který všechny šílené experimenty
AENAON pohání dopředu.
Správně avantgardní atmosféru pomáhají „Cendres
Et Sang“ dotvářet ještě příležitostné jazzové
vsuvky a ozvěny hammondek, pro vytvoření
dojmu naprostého šílenství a chaosu by se bez
nich ovšem kapela pravděpodobně vlastně docela
dobře obešla. AENAON na to naprosto stačí
dvě obyčejné elektrické kytary. Na posluchače se
totiž na ploše skoro padesáti tří minut valí nepředvídatelná
směs neustále se měnících kytarových
motivů, které jsou v jediné skladbě schopné
přecházet z kousavých blackmetalových akordů
do chytlavých melodických trylků, jen aby se pak
bez varování zvrhly v brutální staccato, které opět
vyústí v black metal, a ďábelský kolotoč „Cendres
Et Sang“ tak může pokračovat dál. A na konci jízdy
vás ještě poťouchle vyplivne zrovna před branami
Lynchova pekelného nebe...

Jana Vrbková 5/6

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #67 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.rockap.gr/?p=9159

Οι Aenaon είναι μία μπάντα που μας έρχεται απο την Κεντρική Ελλάδα (Λάρισα,Βόλο). Δημιουργήθηκε το 2005 και απο τότε κυκλοφόρησαν ενα Demo (2007) το ΕP "Phenomenon"(2009) και πρό μηνών το Split με τους Satanochio "A Parallel Zoetrope". Σε όλες αυτες τις κυκλοφορίες του οι ιδέες του και το παίξιμο τους είχε χαρακτηριστεί αρκετά ενδιαφέρον και θεωρούνταν μια ελπιδοφόρα μπάντα.Όλα αυτά ήρθανε να μας το επιβεβαιώσουν και με το παραπάνω με την πρώτη τους ολοκληρωμένη δουλεία με τίτλο "Cendres et Sang" το οποίο μεταφράζεται σαν "Στάχτες και Αίμα".

Το album κυκλοφόρησε από την Code666 και η Aenaon μας αποδεικνύουν ότι μεσα απο όρεξη, μεγάλη υπομονή, αγάπη και μεράκι και τρομερή έμφαση στις λεπτομέρειες το αποτέλεσμα αγγίζει την τελειότητα, και αυτό έχει να κάνει καταρχήν με το τέλειο εξώφυλο όπου υπεύθυνος είναι ο Πολωνός Lukasz Wodynski προσαρμοσμένο άριστα στο τίτλο του άλμπουμ και στην ατμόσφαιρα αυτού.Επίσης ένας άλλος τομέας είναι αυτός του ήχου δίνοντας τεράστια βάση σε αυτό το τομέα με αποτέλεσμα το άλμπουμ να ηχογραφηθεί σε 5 διαφορετικά στούντιος και το τελικό mastering ανέλαβε ο Tom Kvalsvoll στα Strype Audio στη Νορβηγία.

Το album περιέχει δέκα συνθέσεις πολύ δεμένες μεταξύ τους και με αρκετές αλλαγές στο ύφος τους με σκοπό να μας δώσουν ένα ιδιότυπο Black Metal επηρεασμένο και από death μελωδίες αλλά και μπόλικη δόση από ατμόσφαιρα που σε καταβάλει και καταφέρνει να σε κρατήσει μέχρι το τέλος. Πλούσια και καθαρά riffs στις κιθάρες που συνδυάζονται άψογα με την εναλλαγή brutal και clean φωνητικών μέσα σε ωραία και ουσιαστικά solos και ατμοσφαιρικές τζούρες απο σαξόφωνο και πιάνο.

Οι Aenaon μέσα από μικρά και σταθερά βήματα ωρίμανσης και προόδου μας παρουσιάζουν ένα μαγικό άλμπουμ που σίγουρα περιλαμβάνεται στα καλύτερα του είδους που άκουσα τελευταία και ίσως συγκαταλέγεται στις καλύτερες κυκλοφορίες της χρονιάς από την ελληνικη σκηνή. Κλείνοντας, σε όλο αυτό το εγχείρημα θα πρέπει να σταθούμε και ονομαστικά στις guest εμφανίσεις που βοήθησαν και αυτόι με τον τρόπο τους στη δημιουργία αυτού του αριστουργήματος

Orjan "V'gandr" Nordvik - vocals (Helheim, Aeternus).
Thomais Chatzigianni - vocals (Dakrya)
Vasilis Agiomyrgianakis - grand piano
Christos Agouridakis - alto & tenor saxophone (Orchestra Sonora)
Pantelis Kalogiros - additional piano (Disolvo Animus)

Κείμενο: Γιώργος Αθανασάς
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #68 (permalink)
astrous

http://metalicos.com/Paginas/Entrevi...as_Aenaon.html

AENAON INTERVIEW AT METALICOS (Costa Rica)
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:51 AM   #69 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.metalicos.com/Paginas/Com...resEtSanG.html

Aenaon es una banda griega a la que ya le veníamos siguiendo la pista desde hace rato. Su sobresaliente EP Phenomenon fue reseñado aquí en metalicos.com y había mostrado cosas bastante prometedoras. Por eso, al enterarnos de la salida de su disco debut Cendres et Sang, corrimos a chequear el resultado. Y bien... pues benditos sean los dioses olímpicos por haberle regalado a la humanidad la escena griega, sencillamente una de las mejores del mundo.

Aenaon recientemente firmó por la disquera de culto code666, que ha sacado algunos de los discos más aclamados del black no convencional en los últimos años. Naturalmente las cabezas pensantes de la disquera sabían lo que hacían, pues Cendres et Sang ve a la banda dar un salto cualitativo gigantesco, desde su raíz black enfermiza y veloz a una fórmula de avantgarde refinado y demente, donde el tremolo riffing y los segmentos melódicos se mezclan con interludios de saxofón infernal, pluralidad de estilos vocales, teclados fatídicos y macabros… la lista no acaba. Para todos los efectos Aenaon se ha instalado con esta obra en el mapa del black avantgarde mundial, donde bandas como Ved Buens Ende o Arcturus fueron reinas supremas.

El secreto –como ya apuntábamos– está en la variedad de recursos compositivos y en la multiplicidad de arreglos. Eso sí, a pesar de ser griegos, no esperen encontrar nada en común con los nombres legendarios de la escena como Septic Flesh, Varathron, Nightfall o Rotting Christ. Aenaon se las ha arreglado para componer un disco original, fresco, sin abusar nunca de los elementos alternativos, pues a final de cuentas la estructura básica de la obra viene directamente del black metal.

A los escépticos del black avantgarde –entre los que me incluyo– debo decirles que pierdan cuidado, Cendres et Sang no es una fiesta de teclados raros o samples con sonidos discordantes (precisamente la fórmula con que muchas bandas creen ser avantgarde). La primacía aquí la llevan las guitarras de principio a fin, el sonido es crudo a pesar del estilo y los mejores momentos del álbum, son precisamente aquellos en que las guitarras se sueltan con evocadores riffs melódicos, o violentas tormentas respaldadas del siempre bienvenido blast beating.

Ciertamente se notan elementos extraídos del jazz, sobre todo en la batería y los pocos segmentos donde surge el ya mencionado saxofón, pero con un tinte que los vuelve teatrales, lentos y oscuros; kafkianos por así decirlo (no sorprende que la intro del disco se llame de hecho Kafkaesque). En general este es uno de los mejores lanzamientos del año en terrenos del black y eso no es decir poco. Vayan familiarizándose con este sonido, pues de Aenaon pronto se estará hablando bastante más en todo el mundo.

Calificación: 88/100

Mauricio
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM   #70 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.nemesiswebzine.com/Review%20Aenaon.html

The Greek Black Metal Scene amazed me always with such good and unique bands as Rotting Christ, Varathron, Septic Flesh, Necromantia and some other good bands. The best about the bands form there was always that they were open for new ideas. The newest proof of this is Aenaon. Till now, they brought out the EP “Phenomenon “and a split CD with a Romanian band Satanochio and this is their first album. I didn’t hear the split CD and the EP, so I can’t tell how much they evolved since than. In the info I read about them that their music is Avant-garde Black Metal, but in my opinion, the term Black Metal meets Jazz describe their music the best. These 10 songs from this album are anthems of Greek BM at its best. Since it is my first listening to this band, I was really surprised with the intro on this record. “Kafkaesque” is a true Jazz song. First I fought that there must be a mistake, until I heard the next song “Suncord”, which continues to the intro. After this song I saw that this is no mistake. It shows that one can mix Black Metal with Jazz and that it can sounds good. Just remember what Carpathian Forest did a couple of years ago on the “Strange old brew” album and Necromantia. It’s hard to tell about the Metal influences, since there are elements from a lot of Metal genres. On one hand there are very clear Black and Death Metal elements and on the other hand, the clean vocal reminds me of A. Nemtheanga from Primordial. The vocals go from growls to clean vocals in the Primordial style. The atmosphere on this record is made without any use of keyboards. In the third song “Psychonautic Odyssey” there is some old keyboards from the 70’s to hear. It’s good to hear a band again who makes the atmosphere just by using the basic instruments of Metal without drowning their music with too much keyboards. In the song “Grand narcotic harvest” appears V'Gandr of Helheim as a guest. The song”Black nerve” is the song with the most Jazz influences in it. The band used in this song Saxophone in the slower part, just like Carpathian Forest did. This song is also the longest song on this album. The last song on this record begins with a piano and female vocal in a melancholic way. But, it’s just the silence before the storm to say it so. After the slower part in this song, it changes to a faster part which will be followed by a slower part again. For me, this song is the highlight on this record. I really recommend this record, since the music is something new and well made. The ideas and the atmosphere here are one of a kind and if someone is searching something good in these times, than check this album out and you won’t regret it. I know that I didn’t regret it.

P.M. 14/15
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #71 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.nemesiswebzine.com/Aenaon%20Interview.html

Interview by Achilleas C. of Aenaon at Nemesis Webzine (Serbia)
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #72 (permalink)
Emi
underdog

http://www.metal-glory.de/reviews_neu.php?nr=21373

Die Avantgarde Black Metaller Aenaon kommen aus Griechenland und sind seit 2005 aktiv.
Nachdem man 2007 eine Demo(Promo´07) selbst released und danach, im Jahre 2009 und 2010, eine EP(Phenomenon) und eine 7“(A Parallel Zoetrope) mit jeweils einem anderen Label unters Volk gebracht hat, ist man nun bei den Italienern Code666 gelandet. Ihr sozusagen Full Length Debüt hört auf den Namen „Cendres et Sang“(Asche und Blut)und bietet 10 Stücke die dem oben genannten Genre alle Ehre machen und mit viel Progressivität liebäugeln. In manchen Passagen musste ich sogar an die letzten beiden Ihsahn Werke denken.
Beginnen tut das Ganze mit einem Saxophon Intro(Kafaesque), welches gleichzeitig die Einleitung in den zweiten Track „Suncord“ darstellt. Hier hört man sofort in welchem musikalischen Fahrwasser sich die Griechen bewegen. Man geht mit Melodie aber auch Vertracktheit zu Werke und verbindet progressive Elemente mit Black Metallischer Aggressivität. Diese Struktur zieht sich durchs ganze Album und bietet dadurch auch die nötige Abwechslung um nicht schon nach der Hälfte des Albums abzuschalten.
Die Gitarren kommen mal sägend, mal mit viel Melodie daher und ab und zu auch ein wenig verspielt. Trotz des progressiven Charakters gibt es immer wieder eingängige Passagen, welche sofort zum “mit wippen“ animieren. Das Keyboard, welches mehr im Hintergrund agiert, Saxophon(könnte etwas harmonischer eingesetzt werden) und Drums scheinen hier aus der “Dose“ zu kommen. Ich konnte jedenfalls keinen Hinweis auf Musiker finden. Dies tut dem Ganzen allerdings kein Abbruch, harmoniert doch alles mehr oder weniger sehr gut miteinander. Ein Wermutstropfen des Albums ist die “Ähnlichkeit“ der Songs untereinander. Irgendwie sticht kein Stück “extrem“ heraus, was jetzt nicht heißen soll das wirklich gute Songs fehlen. Es ist nur so, dass man alle Stücke auch ohne Pause spielen könnte und es würde nichts ausmachen. Man würde es als ein Megastück empfinden. Welches allerdings eine Menge Abwechslung zu bieten hätte.
Gesanglich kommt Astrous hauptsächlich mit Kreischgesang daher, ab und an gibt´s auch Klargesang und auch eine nicht näher benannte weibliche Stimme kommt hin und wieder hinzu. Als Gast ist übrigens bei „Grand Narcotic Harvest” ein gewisser V´gandr vertreten, der den Meisten von den Norwegern Helheim her bekannt sein dürfte.
Aufgenommen in 5 verschiedenen Studios, wurde das Ganze von niemand Geringeren als Tom Kvalsvoll gemastert. Dieser schon für Alben von 1349, Ishahn, DHG, Keep Of Kalessin und anderen Größen verantwortlich zeichnet. Das Coverartwork, welches sehr gut zur Musik passt, stammt vom Polnischen Visionär Lukasz Wodynski.
Fazit: Experimenteller, avantgardistischer Black Metal der Marke Aenaon sollte aufgeschlossenen Extrem Metal Fans zusagen und wer mit Ishahn´s Werken, und auch dem letzten Hollenthon Album was anzufangen weiß, der sollte auch hier seine Freude haben.
Die Griechen können den beiden genannten Institutionen zwar „noch“ nicht das Wasser reichen, aber wenn sie so weiter machen und noch einige kleine Schwächen ausmerzen, sollten sie bald einen großen Schritt in diese Richtung machen. 7/10 Punkten

Anspieltipp: Grand Narcotic Harvest, Necroscope, Black Nerve und als „Geheimtipp” In Heaven

Aenaon im Netz: http://www.aenaon-band.com

(Aural Music - code666)
www.auralmusic.com
www.code666.net
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #73 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.xtreemmusic.org/index_que...3D%26chkrel%3D

BANDA: AENAON (gre)
TITULO: Cendres Et Sang
FORMATO/AÑO: CD 2011
SELLO: Code 666
CALIFICACIÓN: 9/10
AUTOR: Pedro Ingelmo (08/2011)

Un disco con esta portada y que empieza con una melodía de saxo tiene muchas papeletas para sorprender… y así es. Pero la cosa no va de excentricidades ni de vanguardismos elitistas, y aunque la mencionada intro se une al primer tema y allí el saxo prolonga un poco más su canto, todo se queda en una pura anécdota. Lo que encontramos después es una música agresiva, tremendamente intensa y muy variada, y ahí es donde de verdad vienen las sorpresas.

De hecho la variedad es tal que no resulta fácil situarlos en un género concreto. En principio todo apunta a Post-Black, pero ni la voz ni los ritmos encajan siempre en esa clasificación, salvo en temas como “Kraanerg”, ni tampoco hay las lánguidas ensoñaciones melódicas frecuentes en otros grupos. Y que no piense nadie que han hecho una especie de mosaico heterogéneo con piezas de distintos géneros, en absoluto, la diversidad no le quita ni una milésima parte de cohesión al disco y el conjunto es todo un monolito, música de una pieza y perfectamente coherente.

El álbum cuenta con unos formidables arreglos de guitarras y un trabajo cuidadísimo a la hora de rematar los temas, entretejiendo riffs, frases, arpegios y motivos solistas hasta dar lugar a unas texturas asombrosas. Además está ejecutado con verdadero sentido de la dinámica y los contrastes, lo que resalta aún más la intensidad de los pasajes más agresivos. La voz, sin embargo, se queda lejos de este espíritu y resulta demasiado monótona, tanto por el timbre como por la forma de cantar (con honrosas excepciones como “Carnivora’s lair”) y hasta por sus patrones rítmicos.

También les habría venido bien tener alguna parte pegadiza más, como las de “Grand narcotic harvest” o “Necroscope”, o fragmentos que marquen momentos de especial énfasis en cada tema y los hagan reconocibles. Cincuenta y tres minutos de música es de entrada una buena noticia y en este caso un indicio de creatividad, pero su propia densidad –aparte de que sólo dos temas bajan de los cinco minutos- amenaza por momentos con asfixiarla, otra razón para haber dado a sus canciones momentos que respiren y que a la vez guíen la música en una determinada dirección.

En todo caso la banda demuestra talento, ambición, gusto por el trabajo bien hecho y una admirable madurez para tratarse de un primer disco completo, aunque llevan en activo desde el año 2005. Por cierto, el saxo reaparece en la larga “Black nerve” con un breve pero interesante solo, confirmando que su presentación al principio del disco era anecdótica o, como mucho, una estrategia para captar la atención del oyente. El álbum se despide con una acertada versión de un tema de la película de David Lynch “Eraserhead”, adaptada al propio estilo del grupo y con ciertas reminiscencias de PECCATUM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM   #74 (permalink)
astrous

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/ce...aspx?id=250454

3.5/5 stars

After releasing a handful of minor releases since their formation in 2005, Greek avant-garde black metal act Aenaon released this debut full-length in June of 2011 on code666. Cenres et Sang is an album that's strikingly unique in sound, while still providing plenty of quality compositions and impressive musicianship. The band's unique mix of genres, topped off with a strange, avant-garde twist makes Cenres et Sang an excellent recommendation to those seeking music on the not-so-traditional side of black metal. Aenaon still has some work to do with creating songs that are mind-blowing in structure, as well as making a slightly more coherent album, but this is generally an exceptional debut full-length that I've had a pleasure experiencing.

Right off the bat, a few things stand out immediately unique about Aenaon's sound. Although they do occasionally lean in the noisy, chaotic avant-garde sounds of Blut Aus Nord or Deathspell Omega, Aenaon generally play a much more melodic style of avant-black metal, with plenty of influences from jazz, progressive rock, and ambient. Most of this album isn't very "avant-garde" in a compositional sense - many of the songs here are fairly conventional - but it is instead avant-garde when looking at the arrangements. The strange saxophone portions, occasional operatic vocals, and unconventional guitar effects really put Aenaon at odds with most of the straightforward black metal crowd. Cenres et Sang's unique ambitions are ultimately its strongest asset, and the band's willingness to experiment is quite encouraging.

The songwriting on Cenres et Sang is also generally pretty strong - tracks like "Suncord" and "Once" certainly leave an impression on the listener, and throwaways are nowhere to be found. A few songs may lack a bit in the department of memorability, yet they never come across as boring in any sense. The strong and unique musicianship tends to keep things interesting, even if a few compositions may be slightly lacking. The chaotic, yet still clear and audible production also helps flesh-out the emotional impact that Aenaon attempts to obtain - and, for the most part, they succeed tremendously.

Cenres et Sang isn't a flawless album, and Aenaon will still have to work on songwriting a little more before taking the avant-black metal world by storm, but this is still a very impressive debut outing from one of Greece's most promising young acts. If you're an extreme metal fan with an eclectic list of other musical interests, odds are that you'll enjoy Cenres et Sang quite a bit. I'd say 3.5 stars are warranted here. I'll be curious to see where Aenaon heads in the coming years.

by J-Man
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #75 (permalink)
astrous

http://heavymetaltribune.blogspot.co...th-aenaon.html

Interview at Heavy Metal Tribune (Singapore)