Dark Tranquillity  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Dark Tranquillity
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #126 (permalink)
Dark_Jester
Unrepentant sentient
 
Dark_Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lookout mountain
Posts: 4,678
This whole book cover thing is just getting my satire bone all itchy...urge to scratch...rising...must...resist...urge to use...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Inflames626 do you ever understand WHAT a parody is? Or satire? Maybe even irony? Next you'll be declaring that I'm a wannabe japanese otaku who sits around in darkened rooms watching henati, JUST because I happen to use a manga style image on mine. Don't take it all too seriously. And don't make offensive remarks about other people as part of an arguement, it just makes you seem like you're badly losing.
__________________




'All our decisions, our treacheries, our deceits, our triumphs and our loyalties have led us to this moment.'
'What happens now?'
'I'm afraid we die.'
Dark_Jester is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #127 (permalink)
Arch
‫‬**‪‫‬**҉‫‬**‪‫‬**҉ ‫‬**‪
 
Arch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: // -->
Posts: 16,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
Ozzy entertains, the musicians behind him are what fuels him. Ozzy has always had guitar wizards in his ranks, and his music would suck without the technical wizardry behind it to make it great, music so great in fact that Randy Rhoads started all 80's shred, basically.
Ozzy's a entertainer and also a musician. He may not do the shredding, but he work with his musicians to compose melodies when he went solo. Iommi, Ward, and Butler kept him out of most of the music during the Sabbath days.
Quote:
I just find these people hilarious who take themselves so seriously, like our friend the ball handler here, who don't even have enough self discipline to become serious musicians. Again, if you're in music, be a musician. If you want to be a personality, David Lee Roth, Pete Townsend, Marylin Manson, Trent Reznor...go into acting.
Those "personalities" you mentioned. They write and perform music. That's great. They make money and people buy their albums and go to their concerts. Why can't you be happy for them? Are you jealous?
Quote:
Why is a sound education important, and why are their opinions on world problems not valid? My opinion on music is much less important than world hunger, and you need a bit more proof to back you up on such an important issue as politics. Far more intelligent people than celebrities have tried to solve the world's problems, and they can't. What gets me about this whole Bono issue is the foolish optimism of it all. Long after this generation is dead, tomorrow's powerholders (more than likely, today's underdogs) will be perpetuating the cycle of violence in retribution for today's atrocities.

All of these people act like they're new and different, saving the world, that THIS time it will be different.

It just isn't so, and in 50 years, they'll be just as outdated, as conservative, and as irrelevant as any bygone ideology.

You can say why do I seem to take myself so seriously if I think people who take themselves seriously are overly foolish...I make claims about what I think I know...which is my university study and music. I make no claims about cars, computers, fashion, movies etc. etc., because I don't know enough about them. But in these areas, I am very confident, and I am critical of people who take themselves overly seriously just because they're a personality (Marylin Manson, or Brian Warner) as opposed to being confident because they've discovered truth through hard work.

More specifically, if Rage thinks they're so right, and revolution is the answer, what after the revolution? Who gets power? How should it be wielded? How do you maintain a minority group status and yet also assure majority rule?

Particularly, aside from a grandiose general slogan, how do you make revolution work? What's the biggest problem in the world? Income distribution, which can be broken down into healthcare, food, etc etc. How do you maintain equal income distribution, and yet not stagnate the economy like in the U.S.S.R.? How do you assure a good livelihood and basic services (food, healthcare, insurance) and yet not bloat the system and keep in a shred of private initiative for companies to want to better their services?

The world's greatest minds don't know, so some stupid rockband doesn't know the answer. A rockband that, for all its anger toward the world situation, is rather pussy, commercial (especially Audioslave), and not even that heavy. They'd get their asses smeared in a club in Scandanavia or Germany, for sure.
Do you expect RATM or Bono to change the world over night? The world is a very big and complicated place. Can't musicians dream of peace and justice for the world? Yes, mostly everyone can agree with you that there is no simple solution for the problems in the world. I only hear you complain about it. RATM, Bono, and other celebrities lend their names and money to help solve some the world's problem. Did Bono solved a world crisis? Certainly not. But perhaps with his help, he probably gave a homeless child a chance.

Believe me, I have done a lot of volunteer work through the years and help the people in and around my community. It would be a great help if you stop complaining about celebrities doing good social work and help serve hot food to homeless people. Thanks.


/Arch

Last edited by Arch : August 4th, 2003 at 01:04 PM.
Arch is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #128 (permalink)
Dark_Jester
Unrepentant sentient
 
Dark_Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lookout mountain
Posts: 4,678
Oh...and by the way, I have nothing against japanese wannabe otaku sitting in dark rooms watching hentai
__________________




'All our decisions, our treacheries, our deceits, our triumphs and our loyalties have led us to this moment.'
'What happens now?'
'I'm afraid we die.'
Dark_Jester is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #129 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
What are you saying? Do you judge people by their avatars? Someone who drives a Rolls Royce is really rich? You problem is, you are too superficial. You nitpick little things no one would ever care about. You are no different than some Beverly Hills bitch who worry to death about a little pimple on their forehead.

Who ever said the cover must reflect the content? Did The Beatles' "White Album" or Metallica's "Black Album" show anything about their music inside? Oh, going by your logic, you have no avatar, that means are you are NOTHING.
No.

I'm saying make the cover more representative of what truly is, not to make a deliberately ambiguous statement in an attempt to be "deep" and then bitch if no one understands you. I think a lot of bands in the 80's got into this problem: "We're not Satanists, really. We're just interested in witchcraft!" If you don't want the mantle, don't wear it.

The black album was black in that it represented a lack of new ideas for Metallica in the heavy realm of 1991 metal and so it was very utilitarian in its approach but was also very seriously produced and caringly made, IF you infer black to mean serious but also rather plain.

In sum: if you don't want to catch shit about a stupid avatar, then don't have a stupid avatar.

I don't have an avatar at all because I find them highly unnecessary, in any chatroom.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #130 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Ozzy's a entertainer and also a musician. He may not do the shredding, but he work with his musicians to compose melodies when he went solo. Iommi, Ward, and Butler kept him out of most of the music during the Sabbath days.Those "personalities" you mentioned. They write and perform music. That's great. They make money and people buy their albums and go to their concerts. Why can't you be happy for them? Are you jealous?Do you expect RATM or Bono to change the world over night? The world is a very big and complicated place. Can't musicians dream of peace and justice for the world? Yes, mostly everyone can agree with you that there is no simple solution for the problems in the world. I only hear you complain about it. RATM, Bono, and other celebrities lend their names and money to help solve some the world's problem. Did Bono solved a world crisis? Certainly not. But perhaps with his help, he probably gave a homeless child a chance.

Believe me, I have done a lot of volunteer work through the years and help the people in and around my community. It would be a great help if you stop complaining about celebrities doing good social work and help serve hot food to homeless people. Thanks.


/Arch
EVERYONE complains about the world, metal especially. To quote Death, "There will be zero tolerance..." Slayer's writings are mostly based on the misuse of clergy for political ends, cheesy shock rock lyrics aside. Metallica was primarily concerned in the early days with unjust war practices, especially on Puppets and Lightning. Yet they didn't go out like Rage and presume to solve any problem BUT be musicians. The songs emptied out a need to vent, but to assume you can solve all the world's ills because you run a stupid little rock band...

Metal is about the negative aspects of life, and from Priest to Pro-Pain, is largely complaining put to music.

Who says Bono has saved anyone? In the end, he'll go back on tour, make millions, and then make another appearance or two. Let's see them STOP being entertainers and become full time philanthropists, like Mother Teresa. No one has the balls to do that, because they're not THAT serious about helping the world.

Rage hasn't helped anyone. Lets see them move to Mexico, become citizens, run for office, fix the drug money problem, and put a Third World developing country on the right track.

I'm not jealous of them. Because they won't, can't, and aren't changing the world. And Bono getting the recommendation for that Peace Prize pisses me off. He got consideration because he's 75% Bono and 25% philanthropist. I don't see anyone giving 100% philanthropists any prize.

He should go back to making 80'sish pop music and stay out of things he knows nothing about.

Same thing with Sean Penn going to Iraq.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #131 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Jester
This whole book cover thing is just getting my satire bone all itchy...urge to scratch...rising...must...resist...urge to use...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Inflames626 do you ever understand WHAT a parody is? Or satire? Maybe even irony? Next you'll be declaring that I'm a wannabe japanese otaku who sits around in darkened rooms watching henati, JUST because I happen to use a manga style image on mine. Don't take it all too seriously. And don't make offensive remarks about other people as part of an arguement, it just makes you seem like you're badly losing.
I made remarks regarding people's avatars because those people resented me for posting IF comments in a DT forum, and also remarking that, despite my love for DT, they weren't really doing anything new.

If you don't want me to declare those things about you due to your avatar: 1) don't provoke me into an argument, 2) don't use that avatar in the first place, and 3) don't make foolish remarks about your "tr00" self when you're really just some dude who looks like he's taking a shit for the camera.

I fail to see why I should take that fellow seriously. I don't care if he's making a parody, it might have been funny, had he not taken on an asshole persona.

The point is, Arch and ball fondler started it, in MY thread, and I will protect myself. If it bothers you to come to my forum, you can kindly get the fuck out.

As it is, I've seen little reasoning here to reconsider my arguments, save what would be a shouting match and possibly some people getting hurt.

Arch has not proven why Rage thinks it's so high and mighty when I've proven that they don't have answers, and neither has he proven why Bono gets so much attention when he doesn't do one one thousandth of UN and Red Crescent and Red Cross workers out there daily getting shot at to REALLY feed a starving kid.

Give me facts, figures, information. Not opinions. Answer my arguments, or don't argue. Why do I have the balls to say such things? MY thread.

Last edited by Inflames626 : August 4th, 2003 at 01:36 PM.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #132 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Ozzy's a entertainer and also a musician. He may not do the shredding, but he work with his musicians to compose melodies when he went solo. Iommi, Ward, and Butler kept him out of most of the music during the Sabbath days.Those "personalities" you mentioned. They write and perform music. That's great. They make money and people buy their albums and go to their concerts. Why can't you be happy for them? Are you jealous?Do you expect RATM or Bono to change the world over night? The world is a very big and complicated place. Can't musicians dream of peace and justice for the world? Yes, mostly everyone can agree with you that there is no simple solution for the problems in the world. I only hear you complain about it. RATM, Bono, and other celebrities lend their names and money to help solve some the world's problem. Did Bono solved a world crisis? Certainly not. But perhaps with his help, he probably gave a homeless child a chance.

Believe me, I have done a lot of volunteer work through the years and help the people in and around my community. It would be a great help if you stop complaining about celebrities doing good social work and help serve hot food to homeless people. Thanks.


/Arch
As a last reply to Arch regarding the musical aspect...

I'm hardly jealous. But Django Reinhardt and Al DiMeola are considered two of the world's greatest guitarists, and needed no "personality" to do it. Rush is one of the greatest bands around, and needed nothing to prove their worth save their skills. While I was at GIT in 99-00, Tommy Tedesco, the famous session guitarist, was still spoken about by faculty and students alike ten years after his dead.

I can't be happy for the personalities because some people achieve just as much success as they do *without* the personality, proving that the personality is unnecessary to achieve success.

I look at the need to cultivate personality, past a certain point, as a weakness because others don't need to cultivate one. Therefore, they have my disrespect.

Speaking of Ozzy, he hasn't done jack since the 80's. Remember Zack Wylde bitching about "Down to Earth" pissing him off because Dave Grohl wrote some songs?

Ozzy is a personality propped up by other musicians, while others, specifically all members of Dream Theater, require no such "propping". And while they may not make near the money that Ozzy does, they're more respected by fellow musicians, something I would rather have than money or recognition, a view which is shared by a few others, notably Jeff Waters of Annihilator, who turned down guitar duties in Megadeth in 2001 to do his own thing *his* way, and not to become Mustaine's backing man.

I don't like "personalities"...it's a bit like playing pretend or house. It's melodramatic and a bit pathetic for grown men to do just because they don't have the musical ability to back up their advertising talent.

You'd really be surprised to see how, among working musicians, guys you've never heard of who work for film and soundtrack and bands, how unnecessary the personality is. They're so serious, and so well-rounded, it's intimidating, and you feel cheesy and really adolescent when you walk in wearing a metal shirt like some kid still reading comic books at 25...there isn't a need to "parody", or make a statement, or a point with such grandiose stupid antics...you just put your money where your mouth is and make it with your talent.

I began to feel immature regarding some of metal's antics when I saw the maturity and relaxed nature of jazz and fusion guitarists. From that point, I just became Aaron, a normal guy who happened to play metal. I'd feel dumb taking myself so seriously. If you don't take yourself so seriously, why parody and act like you do, and then bitch when someone says you take yourself too seriously?

Last edited by Inflames626 : August 4th, 2003 at 01:43 PM.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #133 (permalink)
Salamurhaaja
Assertive
 
Salamurhaaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahvin
don't you think there's a difference between pretending and joking?
Nah, he's american, he wants the cover to tell you everything you can
find inside and nothing else, no surprises, no diversion from the norm.
Kinda like americans make music and movies and everything else too,
a neat package, meant for the simple tv-zombies whose only function
is to sit and consume the crap the media companies throw at them,
no original thoughts allowed.
.
.
__________________
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio
Salamurhaaja is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #134 (permalink)
wildfyr
unus spiritus est
 
wildfyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: real-time
Posts: 3,459
wildfyr is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #135 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamurhaaja
Nah, he's american, he wants the cover to tell you everything you can
find inside and nothing else, no surprises, no diversion from the norm.
Kinda like americans make music and movies and everything else too,
a neat package, meant for the simple tv-zombies whose only function
is to sit and consume the crap the media companies throw at them,
no original thoughts allowed.
.
.
Dude, if you dont get off the American stuff, I'm going to come back at your ass with so much fucking history and political science that you will have NO ROOM to make such assumptions.

People are people, regardless of nationality. As an American, I am no better than anyone else. But I will not have a person making generalizations about life here when it was Europe that brought all of its old problems here in the first place. Our problems here existed first in Europe, and I won't have some holier than thou Social Democrat who couldn't even defend his country for 50 years from Soviet aggression without the US nuclear umbrella attempt to tell me my attention span.

Fuck off, you twit. Your avatar, attitude, behavior makes you even more "normal", more stereotypical, than anyone I've ever come across. Now, only to find out whether you're French or German, as Britishers wouldnt never claim to be "European". I've met tons of Scandanavians, and they're all so smart and such nice people (excellent public education system in Sweden), that no Scandanavian would dare make such a stupid remark. Regarding attention span, go to the BNR Metal Pages, and you will see that there are more American metal bands than every other place in the world COMBINED. The shit you feast on in style is the stuff we cast off.

Throw EVERYTHING you can at me, one post, gag me on it, give me every criticism you can think of, and back it up with FACTS AND EVIDENCE, not your opinion.

I will refute you point by point. I'm daring you, I'm calling you out, and I'm ending this now. I've argued for 3 days in this forum when I'd much rather be having fun. It ends now.

Last edited by Inflames626 : August 4th, 2003 at 02:01 PM.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #136 (permalink)
Salamurhaaja
Assertive
 
Salamurhaaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,139
You are so fucking hilarious

Get of your high and mighty, intellectual horse and see
the shit you are spitting out, ok

There is no need for facts or evidence when we are
talking about oppinion and besides, if you want others
to provide them, where is yours?

I think I let you starve now tho, you make absolute
no sense, you contradict yourself in every second
sentence, it's really funny actually.
.
.
__________________
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio
Salamurhaaja is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #137 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamurhaaja
You are so fucking hilarious

Get of your high and mighty, intellectual horse and see
the shit you are spitting out, ok

There is no need for facts or evidence when we are
talking about oppinion and besides, if you want others
to provide them, where is yours?

I think I let you starve now tho, you make absolute
no sense, you contradict yourself in every second
sentence, it's really funny actually.
.
.
1) What makes it "shit"?

2) There is justification for opinion.

3) I've been supplying justification the entire thread.

4) If there were any contradictions, they were in manners of degree. ONLY you and robodude are the assholes in this thread, and I've already stuffed him regarding RATM.

You're next. Or are you giving up?
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #138 (permalink)
Salamurhaaja
Assertive
 
Salamurhaaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,139
oh I give up, I humble before your superior intellect,
please forgive me for being an ass, I can't live with
this guilt.

II
II
V
__________________
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio
Salamurhaaja is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #139 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamurhaaja
oh I give up, I humble before your superior intellect,
please forgive me for being an ass, I can't live with
this guilt.

II
II
V
Thanks for getting lost.

All refuges from the forum may now return! Hitler has been crushed by Stalin.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #140 (permalink)
rahvin
keeper of the flame
 
rahvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: safe but not far from the city
Posts: 17,592
can i invade from uranus?
__________________
~You wake up in the morning, your paint's peeling, your curtains are gone, and the water's boiling. Which problem you deal with first?
None of them. The building's on fire.~

~Your biggest problem is I don't know what your biggest problem is.~
House
rahvin is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #141 (permalink)
Villain
Doctor BenQuillity
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
I don't have an avatar at all because I find them highly unnecessary, in any chatroom.
Avatars have one very important function: they make you recognizable with a single glance. There are hundreds of users on this forum and I (and many others I guess) can't remember everyone's nickname. Thus, when I after a month from now see Salamurhaaja's post in another thread, all I need to do is take a look at his avatar and I recall: "Oh, here's the guy who loves to feed trolls with his shite"; especially so when the avatar is so much tongue-in-cheek and contradicting to the person behind it (as many of us know). There's an even greater need for an avatar for people, who have nicknames that very closely resemble 626 other nicknames used on this forum. That's why I recommend you get one as soon as possible - as long as it is clearly different from other people's avatars, you may put as much or little meaning to it as you want, very few people care about that.

Another point: This is definitely not your forum and hardly your thread. This is our forum and I would dare say our thread - telling people not to post/read here is most impolite, IMHO. This community is rather tight and even somewhat "closed-in"; I admit it is hard for a newcomer to come here and speak out his/her mind without sounding arrogant (and I must admire your bravery in trying to do so), but showing a bit more humility while doing so is what I recommend to you - insulting someone's avatar or calling him names ("gothboy", "ballhandler", ie.) is not very wise in a place, which indeed has dozens of regulars who are willing to "support" him simply because they have known him much longer than they have known you. I know most of the people here have nothing against you, but if (a very big if) this all would come to the point where we on this forum would have to decide which one of you two needs to be kicked out (read: banned) from here, you would lose that vote 50 to 1.

Lastly, you have made many reasonable arguments, but now and again you have fallen into the traps of anger so evilly () made by Salamy and lost your apparently high level of self-control; which has resulted in many unreasonable comments and contradictions within your own thesis. I'm certainly not the best person to talk about this matter (as I often tend to lose my self-control in heated arguments about certain topics many of the people here are very familiar with), but I really think you should try to concentrate on a one single point at a time when arguing with someone, instead of making a dozen new attacks in every post you make. For it makes you look like someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about and just tries to cover that by touching so many arguments that everyone gets confused - I hope that is a false impression.

-Villain
__________________
For mankind to survive, religion must die.
Villain is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #142 (permalink)
Thanatos
payaso
 
Thanatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hades
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
Thanks for getting lost.

All refuges from the forum may now return! Hitler has been crushed by Stalin.
isn't it very funny that Stalin turned out to be worse than Htiler?
__________________

Thanatos is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #143 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain
Avatars have one very important function: they make you recognizable with a single glance. There are hundreds of users on this forum and I (and many others I guess) can't remember everyone's nickname. Thus, when I after a month from now see Salamurhaaja's post in another thread, all I need to do is take a look at his avatar and I recall: "Oh, here's the guy who loves to feed trolls with his shite"; especially so when the avatar is so much tongue-in-cheek and contradicting to the person behind it (as many of us know). There's an even greater need for an avatar for people, who have nicknames that very closely resemble 626 other nicknames used on this forum. That's why I recommend you get one as soon as possible - as long as it is clearly different from other people's avatars, you may put as much or little meaning to it as you want, very few people care about that.

Another point: This is definitely not your forum and hardly your thread. This is our forum and I would dare say our thread - telling people not to post/read here is most impolite, IMHO. This community is rather tight and even somewhat "closed-in"; I admit it is hard for a newcomer to come here and speak out his/her mind without sounding arrogant (and I must admire your bravery in trying to do so), but showing a bit more humility while doing so is what I recommend to you - insulting someone's avatar or calling him names ("gothboy", "ballhandler", ie.) is not very wise in a place, which indeed has dozens of regulars who are willing to "support" him simply because they have known him much longer than they have known you. I know most of the people here have nothing against you, but if (a very big if) this all would come to the point where we on this forum would have to decide which one of you two needs to be kicked out (read: banned) from here, you would lose that vote 50 to 1.

Lastly, you have made many reasonable arguments, but now and again you have fallen into the traps of anger so evilly () made by Salamy and lost your apparently high level of self-control; which has resulted in many unreasonable comments and contradictions within your own thesis. I'm certainly not the best person to talk about this matter (as I often tend to lose my self-control in heated arguments about certain topics many of the people here are very familiar with), but I really think you should try to concentrate on a one single point at a time when arguing with someone, instead of making a dozen new attacks in every post you make. For it makes you look like someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about and just tries to cover that by touching so many arguments that everyone gets confused - I hope that is a false impression.

-Villain
A few key arguments to address here:

1) I want to be remembered for the substance of my text, not for a symbol. If someone doesn't want to scan the boards closely enough to find my name, then they must truly not be interested enough to talk to me. I don't appreciate such laziness, and would prefer to see less avatars on others. More anonymity and substance forces one to approach someone's thought content, and not their self-stylizations.

2) Again, I don't care to ever get an avatar. If people want to talk with me, they'll find the time and be just fine, as they are doing right now.

3) It is not my forum, but it IS MY thread within this forum. I knew this view would be unpopular, hence that is why I restrict my conversations here. My intellectual property is my own to claim, and, since I began this thread and have generally been the one to post the most to it, it is very much MY thread, as I have tended to dictate the topics of discussion when not fending off foolish arguments.

4) I told people not to come and post if they were going to start shit, aka, if they don't like my opinion. They are still free to come read it, but if they know there's going to be stupid antics, they shouldn't post. Just like the law allows you to visit bars, but if you get hostile when you're drunk, you shouldn't go.

5) Knowing someone longer than me is not a valid basis for determining who is right and who is wrong in a situation, and this is the most glaring error of logic. I came to this nook of the board to post my opinion, and JUST BECAUSE someone is a regular here he basically has the right to enter MY thread and harass my ideas because I said, dare I say, that DT was a bit unoriginal. Discount me after objective study of who started the problem, not who's highest on the good ol' boy totem pole. If people aren't going to welcome newcomers here and will discourage it by automatically siding with a troublemaker, you may as well ban me, because I don't want to be a part of something like that. It's a silly as a grade school playground.

6) There's no need to ban me, as I am restricting my comments to MY thread and am harassing no one, not even sending a private message. Personal insults against avatars were first leveled against being called "troll". If you're going to ban me based on a popularity contest in which newcomers are not given a chance and not on the sound principle of board security and/or ettiquite, again, I have no wish to be a part of such an institution. Separate personal loyalty from valid or invalid thesises, and if your friendship to someone is going to color your evaluation of that argument, you shouldn't be in the judging position, because you are partial.

7) Defending from a dozen new attacks and working on several arguments at once accomplishes two things: 1. It shows that no potential hole in the argument has been left unconsidered in the defense and, 2. it follows the train of thought of the poster, who doesn't want to leave a conversational stone unturned. If things are confusing, reread MY thread. As far as contradictions, they can be clarified, given the reader asks the poster. It's not my job to interpret for you, but merely to make my points as clearly as possible. If some are still unclear, I'll clarify, but I am not a mind reader and need to be told these things.

8) Again, banning should not be based on a popularity contest, and if you are considering holding something against me based on a foolish premise of knowing an asshole longer than you've known a potential friend, that is not my problem. Ban away, as this could be any other messageboard or institution, from ICQ to mIRC. It is very much my thread, and it is a humble thing to ask to call it MY thread, considering it is the only place on the boards I frequent.

Now, you can trust an asshole's judgment, or you can dig deeper and try to find out why I feel so personally validated. I've no need of fair weather friends, or partial moderators, sir. And no one seems to be detracting from that fellow for not dropping the issue when I gave him plenty of outs. I do not back off of principles, and this makes me many enemies because they resent my tenacity in proving a point, banning be damned. Fine, hate me because I don't shut up, but don't hate me for arguments that you can't counter against or for reasons of personal bias.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #144 (permalink)
Salamurhaaja
Assertive
 
Salamurhaaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
Dude, if you dont get off the American stuff, I'm going to come back at your ass with so much fucking history and political science that you will have NO ROOM to make such assumptions.
Cool, you can try if you like, but don't you think you should maybe
first know where I am from?
I will give you some hints in this post, since I now have a bit more
time to answer all your point(lessness).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
But I will not have a person making generalizations about life here when it was Europe that brought all of its old problems here in the first place.
Yes, surely, going to illegal wars and having very loose guns laws,
shitty social security, laws to protect the rich and morons in the
lead for year has nothing to do with your problems.

When America got it's independence, it's problems became it's
problems, blaming europe for them is pretty stupid, if you think
it's europes fault you country sucks, maybe you should give the
rule back to England.

And I can make the generalizations very easily, I have spend enough
time there to know, can you say the same of europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
and I won't have some holier than thou Social Democrat who couldn't even defend his country for 50 years from Soviet aggression without the US nuclear umbrella attempt to tell me my attention span.
Now then, what do you know of my political beliefs? I don't hail to
any party. As for what comes to defending my country, I have done
my duty in the army service, have you?

What more of defending my country, I can say with certainty that
I have relatives who have killed more russians, alone, than your whole
country, so don't come talk to me about, your country defending
anyone, your country didn't do anything to that end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
I've met tons of Scandanavians, and they're all so smart and such nice people (excellent public education system in Sweden), that no Scandanavian would dare make such a stupid remark.
What a coincidence, so have I and you are quite right, they are nice
and smart people, unlike the tons of arrogant, holier than thou,
Americans, like you, I have met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
The shit you feast on in style is the stuff we cast off.
hahah, oh yeah, I forgot that black metal has it's roots in America,
hell, even death metal is more known from the scandinavian bands.
There hasn't been an original band from America in ages, their metal
scene has been stagnant for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
Throw EVERYTHING you can at me, one post, gag me on it, give me every criticism you can think of, and back it up with FACTS AND EVIDENCE, not your opinion.
I'm sorry, but this is a forum, not a court of law, we don't need
facts or evidence here, opinions are enough.
And I still haven't seen any evidence or facts from you, only
opinions and not even too well formed ones at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
I will refute you point by point. I'm daring you, I'm calling you out, and I'm ending this now. I've argued for 3 days in this forum when I'd much rather be having fun. It ends now.
Haha, "It ends now." you sound like this president, who launched
a war he cannot win, claiming it was somehow justified by god,
you have shown us pretty much the same amount of evidence too.

Well, feed on that for a while.
__________________
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio
Salamurhaaja is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #145 (permalink)
Tebus
An abode of few.
 
Tebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hartford, CT, USA
Posts: 1,165
Damn... I'm done reading all of this. To bring up an earlier point, it seems people are taking things way to personally. And people are intigating each other. I don't think Inflames626 is a troll. But of course it seems like it because people are throwing so much criticism and so many insults that its hard not to come across as sounding like a troll. I'll admit that I was surprised at some of the things Inflames 626 said. Things may have gotten to him a bit, and he probably overreacted. But the philosophy of feeding the troll is probably not a good idea. He obviously has some knowledge of things and is capable of having a good discussion, but it is extremely hard to do so when people argue in this manner. And before anyone calls me someone who thinks I am a high and mighty intellect, I am not at all. In fact I am quite pathetic.

Anyway, about Metallica. I forgot what you asked so I'll read it and post again.
__________________
"Things themselves don't hurt or hinder us... It is our attitudes and reactions that give us trouble."

Epictetus
Tebus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #146 (permalink)
Tebus
An abode of few.
 
Tebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hartford, CT, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflames626
Trebus, thou art the voice of reason. Let's keep going with our St. Anger discussion, didn't care much for Purify, especially the kinda cheesy "Pure if I..." tie-in...

The fingerstyle on Burden was interesting for Metallica, and cool guitars, as always. Except the Invisible Kid Kirk guitar, what would he do if the song turned out to be really unpopular? Song tie-ins are intended for singles.
Hmm.. I don't see a song called Burden.

But a couple songs I like that I'll mention are My World, (for the heaviness) and Sweet Amber for the riff in the end of the song, (that fast picking one.) For My World, I think I just like the "feel-good" heaviness of the song. It has a Fuck yeah!! kind of vibe. And something about the riff in the end of Sweet Amber makes it sound very intense. Like I can't help but stop what I'm doing and listen to it. Hmm... There are other songs, I like the whole album. But this is what i coming to me at the moment.
__________________
"Things themselves don't hurt or hinder us... It is our attitudes and reactions that give us trouble."

Epictetus
Tebus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #147 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamurhaaja
Cool, you can try if you like, but don't you think you should maybe
first know where I am from?
I will give you some hints in this post, since I now have a bit more
time to answer all your point(lessness).



Yes, surely, going to illegal wars and having very loose guns laws,
shitty social security, laws to protect the rich and morons in the
lead for year has nothing to do with your problems.

When America got it's independence, it's problems became it's
problems, blaming europe for them is pretty stupid, if you think
it's europes fault you country sucks, maybe you should give the
rule back to England.

And I can make the generalizations very easily, I have spend enough
time there to know, can you say the same of europe?



Now then, what do you know of my political beliefs? I don't hail to
any party. As for what comes to defending my country, I have done
my duty in the army service, have you?

What more of defending my country, I can say with certainty that
I have relatives who have killed more russians, alone, than your whole
country, so don't come talk to me about, your country defending
anyone, your country didn't do anything to that end.



What a coincidence, so have I and you are quite right, they are nice
and smart people, unlike the tons of arrogant, holier than thou,
Americans, like you, I have met.



hahah, oh yeah, I forgot that black metal has it's roots in America,
hell, even death metal is more known from the scandinavian bands.
There hasn't been an original band from America in ages, their metal
scene has been stagnant for years.



I'm sorry, but this is a forum, not a court of law, we don't need
facts or evidence here, opinions are enough.
And I still haven't seen any evidence or facts from you, only
opinions and not even too well formed ones at that.



Haha, "It ends now." you sound like this president, who launched
a war he cannot win, claiming it was somehow justified by god,
you have shown us pretty much the same amount of evidence too.

Well, feed on that for a while.
Oh, god with a lower case G. You have all the answers eh? You're so angry big man, so against the grain, so...oh, you've seen the light, you prophet of wisdom.

Whether this is a court of law or not, it is a debate, you must justify arguments.

I'm guessing Finland, maybe an allusion to the Winter War, or perhaps Poland.

Whilst discussing Europe, lets discuss Germany's hatred of Turks and immigrants, as well as its tendency to start at least one world war, Italy's inability to form a long term government, France's desire to be a world power but inability to responsibly handle arms sales and foreign influence, especially in the form of nuclear proliferation under de Gaulle and weapon sales to Ruwanda, Britain's inability to simply give ALL of Ireland back to the Irish, Spain's, Portugal and Greece's lack of a concept of a democracy until the 1970s, eastern Europe and Yugoslavia's inability to handle ethnic conflict, and Russia's constant inferiority with the West.

England IS Europe to America, therefore giving it back to Europe is pointless. Britain can't even handle giving the Commonwealth true independence, nor can it handle labor unions and rife, cylical unemployment and a poor healthcare system that uses thirty year old technology. And, even though America has its own problems, these are just as common as Europe's: Germany's resentment of Turks, the persecution of Hungarian minorities throughout the former Hapsburg Empire, Catholic vs. Protestant issues (Thirty Years War), the Greece/Turkey Cypress issue, France's strong Berber minority (which they also can't stand) and, despite the push for EU unity, everyone is, in fact, still very wary of Germany's ever strong economy.

The war was legal, and approved by Congress. Other "illegal" wars include Britain's invasion in the Sinai in 1957, and Russia's tendency to invade poor, defenseless countries like Hungary, Poland, and Czechoslovakia (although Poland was a threat in 81, and Czechlslovakia refers to the Prague Spring of 1968).

I cannot enter the military because I am disabled and manage to meet my needs on a social security system that, while not the best, I am thankful for because it doesn't inflate 200% a year due to massive printing of currency to keep up with government transfer payment debt.

The American navy, specifically in the role of nuclear submarines, has protected Europe for years from Soviet military intervention. MAD saved Europe from a Stalinist Empire, a MAD perpetuated by American nuclear power that defended Western Europe.

And I'm betting that time was used in the service with American weapons, tactics, intelligence and trainers. Unless you're a Warsaw Pact nation, in which case you were, effectively, an occupied country.

Gun laws are a basic right of Americans. The idea is to have the capacity to overthrow an oppressive government. A gun is the only way to do this, if force is needed.

Social security? We spend so much on national defense defending the Commonwealth and Europe that we have no money to spend without going into debt.

America is a capitalist nation, unlike Europe's socialism that doesn't work, and does not favor high tax, heavy debt, inefficient government meddling in private affairs. Americans prefer to spend their income the way they choose, which guarantees the best healthcare industry in the world due to personal initiative and high profit margins guaranteed to companies, something Europe cannot match with strapped budgets that lead to ineffective militaries, environmental degradation, and urban slums.

You won't even tell me where you're from, let alone your name, your experience in America, or what makes you think some shitty ass country the size of 3 states that depends on America and NAFTA trade makes a difference? I can't argue when you hide behind a veil of anonymity and a stupid icon.

Again, I refute you.

Don't give me a damned lecturing when America has only suffered four wars since independence on its own soil: The Revolution, The War of 1812, The Mexican War, and The Civil War. Europe has had more wars than that in the past 50 years, either declared or undeclared, than America will ever have upon its own soil because the continent cannot get its shit together with all its ethnic minorities, minorities that, comparatively, coexist far more peacefully here.

Just because your Parliament did not support the war doesn't mean a damn about whether it's valid. Although I was against this war, I'm against this fuck you anti-Americanism, and it would be very interesting to see you speaking German or Russian, had America, and especially Britain, not intervened on behalf of ungrateful nations.

Let's see you...do what North America does. Let's see you...solve the world's problems. Let's see you even win this argument.

And death metal started in either Florida or Britain, take your pick. Scandanavia was heavily influenced by Britain and the States and was still rocking out to Abba when death metal was being created.

You've still yet to prove shit to me.

Groundless assumptions, and yet I've come back with evidence time after time.

Give up!

Last edited by Inflames626 : August 4th, 2003 at 08:00 PM.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #148 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav
Just one thing I'd like to comment on...InFlames626, this is not your thread, and though you certainly are the originator of it (there is no disputing that), the thread in its entirety is that of the forum community as a hole. You are not doing us all a service by allowing us to post here or granting us access to do so. Any thread anyone has ever made is not theirs, it belongs to the respective community in which it is located. Now of course this is just a very minute detail of something that is much larger in this thread, but I felt like pointing it out nonetheless.

Now, on to something new and constructive. What does everyone think about Power Metal?
The thread is mine. It is my space upon the forum to post whatever I choose. If you don't like my thread, feel free to leave it.

Not much on Hammerfall or Accept, if that's power metal to you.

If I originated the thread, I created the thread, therefore, it is my thread, due to my authorship.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #149 (permalink)
Tebus
An abode of few.
 
Tebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hartford, CT, USA
Posts: 1,165
Seriously dude. You guys are only feeding each other. One of you just let the other win. There isn't a status to uphold here. (or anywhere for that matter)
__________________
"Things themselves don't hurt or hinder us... It is our attitudes and reactions that give us trouble."

Epictetus
Tebus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #150 (permalink)
Inflames626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebus
Hmm.. I don't see a song called Burden.

But a couple songs I like that I'll mention are My World, (for the heaviness) and Sweet Amber for the riff in the end of the song, (that fast picking one.) For My World, I think I just like the "feel-good" heaviness of the song. It has a Fuck yeah!! kind of vibe. And something about the riff in the end of Sweet Amber makes it sound very intense. Like I can't help but stop what I'm doing and listen to it. Hmm... There are other songs, I like the whole album. But this is what i coming to me at the moment.
Burden in My Hands is the very last song.

Amber, I like the "rollicking", COC kind of riff at the start.

My World annoyed me kind of.

Keep em coming Teb, you're actually a nice guy.
Inflames626 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2010 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media