Dark Tranquillity  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Dark Tranquillity
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 19th, 2003, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wolfman Von Jones
The trouble with you

Going to concerts for one band

Has anyone else ever done this? I can name many times where I went to a concert for one band. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Shadows Fall, Arch Enemy, etc, etc and on the 29th Amon Amarth. It sort of bothers me that I pay 25$ to see one band, sort of a waste of money dont you think?

Nick
Old March 19th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
wildfyr
unus spiritus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicktheClayman
Has anyone else ever done this? I can name many times where I went to a concert for one band. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Shadows Fall, Arch Enemy, etc, etc and on the 29th Amon Amarth. It sort of bothers me that I pay 25$ to see one band, sort of a waste of money dont you think?

Nick
i don't necessarily think it's a waste of money. however, if you go to a lot of shows i think it's best to be selective about the ones you really want to see. but it's always a plus to have a lineup of bands that fit your taste. i suppose you might look at that as money better spent?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 19th, 2003, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Grand Wazoo
Saeva Indignatio

Hmmm.. I just went to the DT, Sinergy and Griffin gig just to see DT..(obviously) and I even downloaded some music of Sinergy to check it out, but I didn't like it. So I went to the gig just to see DT and Sinergy turned out to be pretty good.! (Maybe it's just a "live" thing..) About Griffin, well, I didn't like it all. But it was worth waiting till they were gone.

So I'd say.. If you really like the band, I think it's worth it. And who knows, you might like the other bands as well. Bonus.!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 19th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
opacity
Jupi Tu

well, no. in most cases I like the support acts just as much or even better.... in fact, it happens very often that I go to gigs because of the support bands

an adverse example was Satyricon yesterday: the ticket would have been 21 Euros, and only 1 lousy (and I mean LOUSY ) support band: Khold.
this I found to be too much for only 1 band I'd be interested to see. I will see them some other time they all come again sooner or later

there's only few bands I'd die to see

Last edited by opacity : March 19th, 2003 at 03:54 AM.
Old March 19th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
rahvin
keeper of the flame

it's happened often, and sometimes i went there for the support band instead of the headliners, too.
i don't think it's a waste of money, unless of course we're talking lots of money and long lists of bands i don't like. most of the times, though, i manage to have fun at concerts even when i'm watching bands i normally wouldn't listen to or like too much.

rahvin.

~Your biggest problem is I don't know what your biggest problem is.~
House
Old March 19th, 2003, 04:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Miolo
pie king

i'll do this in about a month. i'm going to see the Stratovarius ( ) gig because Symphony X will be the support act. i don't know if it's worthy, but i already bought the ticket.

Miolo
Old March 19th, 2003, 04:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
|ngenius
Little Grasshopper

And the answer is... the most of the times. I often attend to gigs where I leave the place when the headliners start playing. Examples? Miolo remarked one of them. And this won't be the first time I should endure the painful and evil touch of Stratovarius, 5-6 years ago I attended to the Stratovarius + Angra gig just to see the second one. Or Pink Cream 69 + Axxis, when I came to see a 30 minutes Axxis show.

So, if we talk about gigs to see just the headliners, I can assure that there were not more than a reduced bunch of gigs I attended to because of the whole show.

|ng.
Old March 19th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lethe78
Expired candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicktheClayman

Nick

I do it all the time. Most concerts I attend don't even have other bands with which I am familiar. Occaisionally, I will get lucky, however, that seldom happens. And it does not bother me if it doesn't, there is nothing like the feeling you get right as the specific band that you are going to see comes out on stage and starts ripping it up.
Old March 19th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lethe78
Expired candle

In fact, I went to see Dark Tranquillity open for In Flames, and after DT's set, hung outside like a little groupie, lol, in hopes of meeting the band. It worked.

I also went to see Hypocrisy just to watch Soilwork open for them.

Who else.... Now I have to think. Anyway, I often shell out the money just to see the opening band(s), and that doesn't bother me either. I totally love concerts.
Old March 19th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Arch
‫‬**‪‫‬**҉‫‬**‪‫‬**҉ ‫‬**‪

Yeah, I agree that it does suck paying some good money just to see the supporting act, but somehow I rationalize it as "at least I get to see that band!"
Old March 19th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Siren
dead to this world

I did it when i watched DT. They were the first band to play, and paid 30 euros to see just them. Then we watched 5 minutes of Entombed and exactly 30 seconds of Candlemass and left the venue.
Poor Alfred was in a worse position, he paid the 30 euros just to watch 5/16 songs DT played that night.
Old March 19th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
ShadowLioness
\m/ \m/

This happens to me a lot actually. I hate it when the price is like 30 bux and I only went to see one band. I like it better when I am going to see one of the opening bands...then I can just leave . It really sucks balls when I have to sit through 3-4 shit ass bands to get to the headliner . That's usually what happens though .

Old March 19th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
rahvin
keeper of the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren
Poor Alfred was in a worse position, he paid the 30 euros just to watch 5/16 songs DT played that night.
but he bathed in the light of a newfound pride for his own survival skills.

rahvin.

House
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Villain
Doctor BenQuillity

Well, I spent quite a shitload of money traveling to Sweden to see DT play last summer at that silly festival (what was it called again - Fett Med Kärlek?) - and it was one of the best trips I have ever made, mainly thanks to the hospitality of At the Gates (no, not the band - the guy nowadays known as Tranquillian ) and the band (the one that was once called Septic Broiler ).

-Villain (clear enough? )
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Onde Erik

It happens all the time but I would have to think hard before going to see a band playing before a crappy headliner.
Still haven't decided if it's worth the admission to see Symphony X (great) opening for Stratovarius (terrible) for example.
Good bands with bad opening acts don't bother me though.

NP: Masterplan - s/t
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Naku ist krig

If IŽd want to see a gig, IŽd had to:
-Travel to Helsinki (by train 25 EUR?) or somewhere.
-Buy a ticket
-Get back to home (by train 25 EUR?)

Old March 19th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
the_good_son141
hahaoho

do you think thats lame?when you pay 30euros to see a band without support...thats the lamest of lames.

i traveled 1000km to see anathema,and had to suffer UDO,and some strange greek bands before.
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Sunjammer
Eternal Sorrow Inside

As for my two cents... Yes, I've gone to concerts for one band. Dark Tranquillity, Nightwish and HammerFall to name a few. The DT support acts, Griffin and Sinergy, sucked IMHO. HammerFall's support acts, Dream Evil and Masterplan, were great. Will go see Stratovarius on the 25th and Symphony X will be a new experience...
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dmanx Pit
Jester of Tranquillity

I went to Nile and Napalm Death for Dark Tranquillity only. I like all those bands on the tour, but I probably would have skipped it and worked instead if DT^ weren't on the bill.

So that was $20 for a 5 song DT set.
Old March 19th, 2003, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Humanure
Speaking in Killing Words

Most of the time the bands I go to see are touring with bands that I can tolerate. Nile was a decent headliner on the last DT tour (even if I was more interested in Mikael, Niklas, and the rest of the band lingering around where I was standing. Oh yeah, and the conversation I was having with Kovenant at the time. Come to think of it, did Nile even play?)

DT's definately the only band who I'd see no matter who was on the bill with them. There was no way I was going to pay $30-40 to see In Flames play with Mudvayne. I got some standards.
lets replace this religious insanity
tear down the churches instead on the grounds
build there the holy reactors
give us the children science and math
in place of bibles and pastors
Old March 19th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Siren
dead to this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahvin
but he bathed in the light of a newfound pride for his own survival skills.

rahvin.
It still amazes me how he made it, given all the obstacles that came his way... *phew*
Old March 19th, 2003, 07:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
plfffffft
Madly in anger with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanx Pit
I went to Nile and Napalm Death for Dark Tranquillity only. I like all those bands on the tour, but I probably would have skipped it and worked instead if DT^ weren't on the bill.

So that was $20 for a 5 song DT set.
At least we got a free beer out of it, Joe:P

What about Opeth though? That night sucked, except for the 90 minutes Opeth was on. We had to wait outside in the below freezing weather, go inside where it was just as cold, and sit through Tapping the Vein and Paradise Lost. I was just about asleep by the time Opeth came on.
"He was beyond beautiful. When he'd walk in the room, he'd light it up. Fuck the guitar playing -- he's right up there with Eddie and Randy and Hendrix. All he wanted to do was make everyone happy. He was the ray of sunshine. Dime will never die ever -- he's in my veins. He's sitting at God's tavern, having a cold one with Randy Rhoads and Hendrix. Dime was an original." - Zakk Wylde
Old March 20th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
rahvin
keeper of the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren
It still amazes me how he made it, given all the obstacles that came his way... *phew*
i guess that was some sort of blessing that only operates on absolute beginners. he had no idea what was going and likely he assumed that, well, when you do something so crazy, things always turn out like that. so let's just go with the flow.

rahvin.

House
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
DeepInMisery
Format C: for Cortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealHazard
If IŽd want to see a gig, IŽd had to:
-Travel to Helsinki (by train 25 EUR?) or somewhere.
-Buy a ticket
-Get back to home (by train 25 EUR?)
now, why does that ring a bell? oh, that's right: Stockholm!
Old March 20th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Crash Nancy
Sure.

I'm just as guilty of paying to see one band. A way I cheat during this process...

See, opening acts don't always make much money. But they do have guest lists. If I can get to a show early enough (and if it's a band I know at least remotely) I'll bring food, beer, laundry, etc. Then I can slip in on a guest list. I still pay the equivalent of a ticket, but it's going directly to the band I'm there to support. Granted, this method isn't foolproof; but it's served me well for quite a few shows.

That's how I end up in the People Who Think They're Special sections, Wildfyr. My secret is out.