Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > F.O.H.
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F.O.H. Production tips, techniques, tutorials...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
updog

Logic's metronome too quiet

While recording, my bandmates sometimes complain that they can't hear the click well enough. The sound of the built-in metronome in Logic does seem like it easily is buried under. I've tried pushing it all the way up, even putting a compressor to its channel strip so it pumps like hell, but I haven't thought of anything effective yet.

Any suggestions? Should I actually EQ the metronome so people can hear it better? Or should I pitchshift it to a higher pitch? Change the entire Klopfgeist sound to something else? Any suggestions?
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
gabriel g.

Right click on the metronom icon.....

The metronom could clip at some settings, so if it gets buried you track too hot!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
updog

I've already set the metronome to its full volume from the metronome settings. It does clip a bit every 4 beats, but I always have a limiter in the master, and I always make sure that the instruments I'm recording don't clip.
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
greyskull

klopgeist is dogshit.
If i actually used logic for anything, id be using my own sounds in ultrabeat or something.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
updog

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
klopgeist is dogshit.
If i actually used logic for anything, id be using my own sounds in ultrabeat or something.
Gotta try that, thanks.

I know I can change the sound to something else, I'm just hoping I won't need to manually set it for every project I have...
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
updog

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGabrielX View Post
Right click on the metronom icon.....

The metronom could clip at some settings, so if it gets buried you track too hot!!!
Actually, I noticed I do track too hot. I've had things peaking at -3, which sucks.

I'm wondering if I should ask the guys record everything again...
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Morgan C
MAX LOUD PRESETS»\(░_o)/»

Turn down the fader on your tracks and turn up your monitors..?
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
mick thompson
AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!

go to the mixer window, click "all" (at the top) and you'll see the metronome channel (blue i think) - turn it up on the fader - if its still not loud enough add logic's gain plugin, if its still not loud enough add a compressor and increase the input & output levels - done

careful though - too loud and you'll clip your soundcard and you'll have to do a reboot

if your band members cant hear it then they have lost there hearing freq's in the mid to high range. urge them to use ear plugs on stage and in venues (otherwise they wont hear anything when they come to the age of 40) - to deal with the problem open up a 31 band and eq up the mids to high's around 8dB if not more until they can hear it. sometimes on stage i've had to ask the engineers to boost my mid range on my monitor's because i've lost a good amount of it over the years from extreme audio dB's from playing too loud and not using ear protection when im working with grinders and saws on building sites

Last edited by mick thompson : October 13th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
SentencedToBurn
Dubbs

yea when the metronome is all the way up in logic, it clips. So you are most definitely recording too hot.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Machinated

use a different sampler or

double click klopfgeist and turn the tonality up and it turns more into a beep than a click and can be more audible

Follow me on facebook: EAS STUDIOS

Follow me on twitter - http://twitter.com/easstudios

Drum Quantizing + Reamping available + Production + Mixing - PM me for details
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
updog

Thanks for the tips everyone! I've already turned the metronome fader all the way up and full volume from the settings. Gotta try something else.

So yeah, I noticed the guitars peak at -3 (yellow) which is probably bad. We may or may not record everything again, we'll see it's not like it's paid work anyway.

What would you guys say? Less headroom, or more work and learning the hard way?

By the way, I noticed today that if you have a midi track of what your guitarist is supposed to play, and have a banjo sound on that midi track it helps the guitarist keep time very well. Don't know why.

EDIT. meant -3, not -6.

Last edited by updog : October 14th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
egan.
daylightdies.com

If you aren't clipping you aren't peaking too high.

If you can't hear the click turn everything else down. Seriously. You don't need to re-record everything-- just pull down the faders. That's why they're there.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
updog

Quote:
Originally Posted by egan. View Post
If you aren't clipping you aren't peaking too high.

If you can't hear the click turn everything else down. Seriously. You don't need to re-record everything-- just pull down the faders. That's why they're there.
Good to know, thanks.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
ahjteam
Anssi Tenhunen

and if they can't hear the click, turn everything else down from the headphones and add gain in the headphone amp

http://soundcloud.com/ahjteam/sets/debut-album
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
arv_foh
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinated View Post
use a different sampler or

double click klopfgeist and turn the tonality up and it turns more into a beep than a click and can be more audible
This... the first band I recorded with Logic complained they couldn't hear the click so I turned the tonality from .5 to like .95 and it helped immensely

www.btkaudio.com
www.btkphoto.com
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
updog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
and if they can't hear the click, turn everything else down from the headphones and add gain in the headphone amp
They're actually monitoring through my monitor speakers, while I have headphones on. Some of them preferred listening themselves through the speakers. I don't know if it's a bad thing, except that they obviously can't hear as well as they would wearing headphones...

But I've already ordered a headphone amp and some more headphones, I'll have them in my hands next week. I'll probably just make them use headphones

The tonality thing was a great tip, it's way more audible now. I turned tonality all the way up.
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
xTomx

I had a similar problem, I just find the klopfgeist click to be pretty weak so I changed it to a Pro Tools style wood block that was part of the EXS24 jazz kit.

It's much easier to hear without having to add any gain and drowning out other tracks
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
-J-

record a vocal track where you say "tick" in time with the metronome. every once in a while say "tock." I'm here to help.

Paugrim

Demo-Quality 4 Lyfe
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
beyond dead
heavy metal dad \m/

damn... this shit is common knowledge isnt it???!!!???? take a look at your signal path lol.

Profire 2626, Saffire Pro 40, ART PRO MPAII, Mac Mini w 2.6 ghz i7 8 gb ram, Logic Pro 9, Focusrite Liquid Mix, M-audio Keyrig 49

Mics:
Shure, Audix, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Studio Projects, Apex