Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > F.O.H.
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F.O.H. Production tips, techniques, tutorials...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
ahjteam
Anssi Tenhunen

_THE_ Joey Sturgis POD patch preset settings HERE!

--------------
Note from Admin:
There are now official Joey Sturgis tones available:
Store: http://joeysturgistones.bigcartel.com/
Facebook: http://facebook.com/joeysturgistones
--------------

Hello you all!

We at Andy Sneap forum are a real community; If you are here just for the Joey's POD patch, then just read this post and then GTFO and never come back. Thank you. But if you are here to actually learn something instead of just blindly following others and asking for presets, then please register and join the community

Joey has his own forum nowadays, go there instead: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/joey-sturgis-536/

Actually to be honest I don't have a POD at hand so I can't make a patch, so I'll just give you settings, so you need to do some manual labour. I'll give you some links at the end, so you'll know this is legit. (edit: I take that back, here is the patch, BUT READ THIS POST FIRST, BECAUSE THE PATCH NEEDS TWEAKING! Thanks to 006 for making the patch)

The reason for this thread is that I get so pissed about this constant "ou pat i nidz de Sturgis bz, mi tonez sux" begging, so I did a few simple searches on the forum (for you internet crippled: Threads Started By: "joeymusicguy" Forum: "Rate my mix/tone threads") and did some 1+1=2 calculating and adding bits and pieces together and came up with this batch of settings. DISCLAIMER: Do note that this patch is UNOFFICIAL and has directly nothing to do with Joey or his studio.

NOTE: USE THESE SETTINGS ONLY AS A STARTING POINT, because so does Joey. And also note that THIS TONE WILL SUCK BY ITSELF ALONE, use it in context (2 or 4 takes of rhythm guitars + bass + drums). To quote him:

Quote:
Someone: I'd like to hearby request that Joey post a link to "his" podfarm preset.
Joey: "but i'll never do that"
Someone: but they need THE preset joey
Joey: "even if they had the preset they wouldn't like it, i rule at mastering"
Someone: What pickups have you made your presets for? EMG's?
Joey: "all sorts - i just adjust it per guitar, each time."
So what you need is POD XT [PRO] (with Metal Pack), POD X3 or POD FARM PLATINUM and an EQ plugin (pretty much any will do). This DOES NOT work with normal Pod Farm, stock Pod XT or Pod HD. Then the signal chain is pretty simple: POD -> EQ -> Guitar group

POD settings:
Stomp: Tube Screamer
- gain 75
- drive 15
- tone 50
Amp: MS-Diamondplate ("Cali Diamond Plate" in Podfarm Platinum)
- drive: "amp gain around the breaking point of too much crunch on chugs. have the guitarist chug over and over again, make sure he's doing a good chug. then slowly turn the gain up until it sounds edgy enough"
- bass mids and treble: ~50% (mix to taste)
- presence: ~60%
Cab: 4x12 Threadplate
- condencer mic (67)
- room 0%

Channel EQ settings:
EQ (always): Highpass 50-100hz, Lowpass 12khz
EQ (threadplate cab specific): cut at 800hz, cut at 4khz
EQ (suggestions): Boost between 300-400hz, boost 5-8khz for clarity

And thats it! (might require you to use a noise gate before screamer pedal)

edit: oh yeah, I forgot the most important one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
you need nos, and cigs.

Sources:

my newest latest work, maybe my best
my newest latest work, maybe my best
my alternative / new-age rock skills
my latest metal mix (new at the throne of judgment)
my latest metal mix (new at the throne of judgment)
my latest work (still in progress)
killswitch engage - breathe life cover
death virginia (hardcore) - what do you think?

joey sturgis pod guitars TACT

http://soundcloud.com/ahjteam/sets/debut-album

Last edited by MetalAges : November 6th, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
P-E
Munchkin

AMEN, people still asking should be banned.

Thanks for that, hope it brings peace to this era of Sturgis preset-leeches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethSE View Post
I SAVED A TON OF MONEY ON MY CAR INSURANCE BY SWITCHING TO HITLER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anterak13 View Post
Acoustic treatment should be alright, because there is my bed in the room. It already kind of absorbs everything I even recently discovered it could absorb beer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Uladyne
Greg

Ahjteam seriously deserves to be paid for all of his contributions to this forum.
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mike G

40% room, really?
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Emdprodukt
Member of Dude Castle 69

finally.

Blastbeat Productions
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ionei

Good idea, hopefully it does actually stop them from asking over and over.

This also means that all the kids who download ssd and pod farm and want to be joey are one step closer without doing any work(i know this isnt exact sturgis tone at all, but it still makes it easier for them).
To keep my rantiness at a minimum ill stop now haha.
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
lolzgreg
Cereal Shipping Sneapster

<3

PM me for Reamping, Mixing, Mastering, and Custom Impulses.

Guitar Amps:

Baron Custom Amps DHG
Diezel VH4
Fortin Natas
Marshall JMP 100 (1969 Auth)
Marshall JVM 410H
Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II
Peavey 6505
Rhodes Colossus H-100

Guitar Cabs:

Marshall Mode Four 412
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 412
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 212
Rhodes RCS 412
Splawn 412

Clients: The Empire Shall Fall, Eskimo Callboy, Fallbrawl, 26, Vanisher, AeneA, Burials...
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Line666
Fendurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 006 View Post
40% room, really?

That's what he says

Anyway, words for googlebot:

Joey Sturgis Pod Preset Tone Dildofaced Newbies
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombietakeover

from what i remember he doesn't use any room.....so the room should be set at 0% from what i recall
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
narcossintese

I was thinking about all the fuzz around the people who comes here asking for POD patches.
I can totally understand people getting pissed with users who refuse to use the search/read the FAQ and just create threads that have already been discussed before. Its really annoying, fact.

On the other hand I think people here are too grumpy sometimes. You know, like bashing a guy who created a thread without using the search, but also bashing other guy for reviving an old thread that he found using the search. Actually people get angry/roll their eyes when anyone ask for any patch.

Patches/presets are only information. A condensed form of "gear, amp settings, mic placement, eq, etc" information. I can understand people coming to this board looking for this kind of info, this is an audio forum afterall. A "preset leecher" is just an "information leecher". I also understand Joeys position on not giving this kind of info, its totally his right, altough I personally dont agree, as hes always asking things on this forum and getting straight answers. To my understand a leecher is someone who gets a lot and delivers nothing.

Its obvious that getting his POD patch wont make anyone sound like his recordings.
Andy Sneap, Misha and Fredrik Thordendal have their POD patches around for quite some time. Splatt88 already posted here his patches, curve eqs, impulses, screenshots, plugin chains more than once. Some years ago Black Neon Bob even posted an entire Cubase project folder. I cant sound like any of them using a POD the same way I cant sound like Andy when usign a 5150 and following his notes on Noise101, but it was good reading/studying anyway. The kind of info I enjoy and expect coming to an audio board.

Im not sure if Im going anywhere with these toughts, but I just think people are getting too nervous. What is an audio board if not sharing info about audio?
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nectar-and-Fuel
Stoner Doom Fanatic

can someone post joey's ezdrummer preset? im recording a hxc band soon and the drummer just plays a drum pad with sticks. also if someone could post some robert johnson octaban/zitherdrop samples that'd be awesome, cheers guys
[17:11:20] <Dalinkwent> i wanna be in a sig PWEASEEEE

Best haiku ever:

Robin Hood was gay
You're not little down there, John
Hit my ass target
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Emdprodukt
Member of Dude Castle 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectar-and-Fuel View Post
can someone post joey's ezdrummer preset? im recording a hxc band soon and the drummer just plays a drum pad with sticks. also if someone could post some robert johnson octaban/zitherdrop samples that'd be awesome, cheers guys
Guess.

Blastbeat Productions
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nectar-and-Fuel
Stoner Doom Fanatic

i really need that stuff man i am about to be evicted and my only hope of paying the bills is to record this band. do you have any killer trumpet sounds for ampeg svx?

Best haiku ever:

Robin Hood was gay
Hit my ass target
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Everybody
Hail Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcossintese View Post
I was thinking about all the fuzz around the people who comes here asking for POD patches.
I can totally understand people getting pissed with users who refuse to use the search/read the FAQ and just create threads that have already been discussed before. Its really annoying, fact.

On the other hand I think people here are too grumpy sometimes. You know, like bashing a guy who created a thread without using the search, but also bashing other guy for reviving an old thread that he found using the search. Actually people get angry/roll their eyes when anyone ask for any patch.

Patches/presets are only information. A condensed form of "gear, amp settings, mic placement, eq, etc" information. I can understand people coming to this board looking for this kind of info, this is an audio forum afterall. A "preset leecher" is just an "information leecher". I also understand Joeys position on not giving this kind of info, its totally his right, altough I personally dont agree, as hes always asking things on this forum and getting straight answers. To my understand a leecher is someone who gets a lot and delivers nothing.

Its obvious that getting his POD patch wont make anyone sound like his recordings.
Andy Sneap, Misha and Fredrik Thordendal have their POD patches around for quite some time. Splatt88 already posted here his patches, curve eqs, impulses, screenshots, plugin chains more than once. Some years ago Black Neon Bob even posted an entire Cubase project folder. I cant sound like any of them using a POD the same way I cant sound like Andy when usign a 5150 and following his notes on Noise101, but it was good reading/studying anyway. The kind of info I enjoy and expect coming to an audio board.

Im not sure if Im going anywhere with these toughts, but I just think people are getting too nervous. What is an audio board if not sharing info about audio?
Bingo.

-Reaper
-Presonus Firestudio Project
-Ddrum Pro Triggers
-KRK RP8 G2s
-Rode NT5 x2
-SM57 x2
-AT3035
-IntelQuad 2.4
-4g RAM
-22in Acer
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mike G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectar-and-Fuel
i really need that stuff man i am about to be evicted and my only hope of paying the bills is to record this band. do you have any killer trumpet sounds for ampeg svx?
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
jhrv

Quote:
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Emdprodukt
Member of Dude Castle 69

Quote:
I'm sorry about the eviction but man... I don't know what to say. Please just get it. Presets will not pay your bills. Get a job your good at and that pays your bills and learn how to mix. That's the best advice I can give you.

Blastbeat Productions
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nectar-and-Fuel
Stoner Doom Fanatic

I love you guys.

Best haiku ever:

Robin Hood was gay
Hit my ass target
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mike G

Emd: He was yanking your chain

Old December 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Line666
Fendurr

Oh man, fucking sigged
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
ahjteam
Anssi Tenhunen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietakeover View Post
from what i remember he doesn't use any room.....so the room should be set at 0% from what i recall
source plz.

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Emdprodukt
Member of Dude Castle 69

oh boy. I fucking deserve it.

Blastbeat Productions

Last edited by Emdprodukt : December 28th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zombietakeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
source plz.
the Source would be me standing in his studio/garage and him saying No Room.....but it doesn't matter whatever
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
dani
beat defective

EDIT: about the room size, he definitely has it set to 0, the "room size" just adds some not hot sounding early reflections, which, to be honest, sounds gash.

Last edited by dani : March 1st, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
ahjteam
Anssi Tenhunen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombietakeover View Post
the Source would be me standing in his studio/garage and him saying No Room.....but it doesn't matter whatever
I actually found it myself and added it to the list.

I also found joey's guitar bus processing settings:

q1, 12khz low pass
psp vintage warmer, +4 drive, 10% knee, 50% speed, 0 everything else
c4, push the lows down
waves s1 shuffler on preset "subtle widening"