Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > F.O.H.
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F.O.H. Production tips, techniques, tutorials...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #351 (permalink)
Clark Kent

The Paramore Ignorance patch has the "Rock 900" with Gain: 9, Bass: 5, Middle: 5, Treble: 5, Presence: 3, Volume: 8.

I'm not sure if I posted the older Paramore patch but it had the same settings but Gain on full.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #352 (permalink)
Clark Kent

Match EQing drums is VERY COMPLICATED. Match EQing kicks works pretty. But snare is almost impossible to match EQ since you can't EQ more snare top into it (it just doesn't sound the same) and also snare has a clear pitch so if you match EQ two snares they should be in the same pitch. This ofcourse means that both of these snares should be tuned in a similar way etc. It's not easy by any means.

When match EQing drums you really have to use the smoothing of the match EQ to get a usable tone instead of that phasy weird sound. Ozone5 might be better for drum match EQ.

Should I make a tutorial about this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #353 (permalink)
FIXXXER
¯\(°_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Should I make a tutorial about this?
DAMN YES MAN!
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #354 (permalink)
FIXXXER
¯\(°_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mm1066 View Post
I've tried that too, didn't work for me either, a lot of the highs were cut and they sounded a bit softer. The only possible way I think this could work would be if each drum/cymbal was tuned to the original track.
yeah i got the same results. not sure how to adapt the drum tuning,
maybe kent's tutorial will help!
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #355 (permalink)
Clark Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultrash View Post
not sure how to adapt the drum tuning,
maybe kent's tutorial will help!
If you can't manually tune the drums to matching pitch then you can pitch shift them afterwards. Superior Drummer 2 has a good pitch shifter built in so that's probably the easiest way to do this.
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #356 (permalink)
WhyRahVille

Thanks bro
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #357 (permalink)
ArthurD

Clark, I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a problem:
1) I made the eq match with ozone, everything ok. Then I bypass the ampsim and add the sinewave.
2) When I export the sine wave (same sample rate, 15s, tried let 1, 2 ,3 ,4 and 5 seconds empty on the end), and add to deconvolver, deconvolve, it gives me an 1kb wav. When I load as an impulse it just do nothing. What I am doing wrong?

Here is the match eq wav file (not deconvolved) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2248618/natas.wav

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mago View Post
I think I read that the FX Loop problem can be solved by plugin a cable in and out a few times.
You know, same as during le sexy time^^
Quote:
(...) it sounds like a hottest girl in universe telling you that you're the best man she had met in her life and that she wants your dick in her mouth RIGHT NOW. That how fucking sweet it sounds, man
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #358 (permalink)
Clark Kent

No problem. If I can't help at times I'm sure other members of the forum can help. Umm... 1kB is not right. So the problem is most likely with the Deconvolver. Are you loading the right sine sweep in the "Test tone file:" That should be the RAW sweep file that you inserted in your DAW and below that is the "file folder" where you should load the sweep that went through Ozone.
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #359 (permalink)
ArthurD

Quote:
No problem. If I can't help at times I'm sure other members of the forum can help. Umm... 1kB is not right. So the problem is most likely with the Deconvolver. Are you loading the right sine sweep in the "Test tone file:" That should be the RAW sweep file that you inserted in your DAW and below that is the "file folder" where you should load the sweep that went through Ozone.
Yep. For some reason I reinstalled Deconvolver and it worked as a charm!
Cheers for helping!!!

Quote:
I think I read that the FX Loop problem can be solved by plugin a cable in and out a few times.
Quote:
(...) it sounds like a hottest girl in universe telling you that you're the best man she had met in her life and that she wants your dick in her mouth RIGHT NOW. That how fucking sweet it sounds, man
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #360 (permalink)
hurdy
Sup

Remember to add a slience at the end of the sine wave in your DAW
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM   #361 (permalink)
reneisgod
Cnocantursa

curious, how are you guys settings up the filter size before capturing?
3hz - 48hz?
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #362 (permalink)
guitarobert

Thumbs up

Clark, you are a god. This is a great technique! I can't tell you how much fun I've been having with it.

Here are a couple of things that may help others.

1. For the sine sweep from Voxengo, I reduced it by -18dB and saved that to a new file. Voxengo makes a 0dB sweep by default, which can clip when you run it through the EQ without reducing the level.

2. Based on that -18dB sweep, I made a separate sweep file from it that has 1 second of silence at the end. This way I don't need to add the silence manually each time.

So the matching EQ sweep output is made from the "-18dB with silence added" sweep input. Then in Voxengo the original "-18dB without silence added" sweep is used as the reference sweep. Same as what you are doing, but it saves a couple of steps in the workflow.

I'm confused by something though. I tried bypassing all the sweeps and Voxengo by putting an impulse directly into the EQ. That's a wav file with the first sample at max value (0dB) followed by all silence. In theory it should work. The frequency response looks overall the same, except everything is stretched in gain. Peaks are higher and dips are lower. But otherwise the shape is the same. If this worked it would be convenient because the impulse can be made straight from 1 file without the deconvolver. Not sure what's going on with it otherwise. Hmm..

Great method and I'm getting good results!
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #363 (permalink)
Fugdup
Fus Ro Dah

I just recorded a cover of Damage Control by John Petrucci using this method
Awesome, and thank you for this!
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #364 (permalink)
deffpony

I still have yet to get this to work right. Every single tone I try to replicate comes out with way too much low end. Its like my low end isnt tight at all. I have tried soo many different guitar tones, using all 4 of my guitars, and using every DAW I own. I even bought a new DI box but still the tone comes out like shit.

All I want is the Parkway Drive Horizons record tone and I will be happy, but it Just cant have it
Old May 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #365 (permalink)
deffpony

So seriously, I will be willing to pay someone to tone match me the Parkway Drive Horizons tone. Any takers???
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #366 (permalink)
hurdy
Sup

@deffpony ^
even if you pay someone to do it, its not gonna sound close enough.
They will need your fingers, skill, guitar(& pickup), sound interface, cable and all that to get it to match correctly.
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #367 (permalink)
deffpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdy View Post
@deffpony ^
even if you pay someone to do it, its not gonna sound close enough.
They will need your fingers, skill, guitar(& pickup), sound interface, cable and all that to get it to match correctly.
I can send my reamped raw tracks accompanied by the original riff I am trying to emulate.
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #368 (permalink)
sander

I have yet to try it out, but would match eq-ing DIs work ?
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:48 PM   #369 (permalink)
Fugdup
Fus Ro Dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
I have yet to try it out, but would match eq-ing DIs work ?
I just matched Ola's original DI's from the EVH5150 III recording.
First clip is the EQ-match, second the original.

http://soundcloud.com/fugdup/izotope-ozone-eq-matching

I love this thing!
Thanks for the tutorial.
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:51 PM   #370 (permalink)
ArthurD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugdup View Post
I just matched Ola's original DI's from the EVH5150 III recording.
First clip is the EQ-match, second the original.

http://soundcloud.com/fugdup/izotope-ozone-eq-matching

I love this thing!
Thanks for the tutorial.

Would you mind sharing this impulse (or the ozone snapshot)?

@Clark Kent:
See my PM. Cheers!!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #371 (permalink)
Laozen

Could someone do Periphery´s new album tone? And with lepou´s sims? I think that´s maybe the best rhythm tone I´ve ever heard. Thanks a lot!
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #372 (permalink)
Clark Kent

http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/now-i-got-p2

That's the Periphery II tone. Doesn't really work for these higher tunings though.
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #373 (permalink)
Laozen

Quote:
http://soundcloud.com/clark-kent-job/now-i-got-p2

That's the Periphery II tone. Doesn't really work for these higher tunings though.
Can I download that clip somehow? Or can you post impulse of that?
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #374 (permalink)
ArthurD

Clark, Did you see my PM regarding that MARK tones?
Cheers!

Quote:
Quote:
Old July 29th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #375 (permalink)
Sethis

I've tried this method in the past and it is pretty much useless on most situations. You see what matching EQ does is to basically replicate the knobs of the specific amp the original guitarist used. If you scream on a mic and play a pinch harmonic they might show up as similar on an EQ but matching them wont make you sound like a guitar. I'd use the matching feature only for learning purposes.