Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > F.O.H.
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F.O.H. Production tips, techniques, tutorials...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
schwinginbatman
It's shittay!

I wonder if this would work with a different assorment of plugins. It's a really cool idea, and if I can get mixes to be balls loud without clipping to Hell and back, everything will be OK.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
ashgallows
resonant manipulator

just wondering, i was trying this out today subbing in with analog channel 2 as the tape sim, compressor bank 4 as the compressor, n series e.q. and t-racks classic clipper at the end. you talk about having everything peak at 0 but it's clipping all my plugins pretty bad, there are artifacts and the loudness is no where near -8. Is it a case of translation where -18 is really 0 db in PT or is it a case where it only works with this particular plugin chain?
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
smy1
Drink Beer, Kick Ass!

bassguy: glad you like the Faderhead stuff. I've grown up with Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth, Stuck Mojo, Metallica, etc. - EBM/Industrial was more of a coincidence, really.

schwinginbatman: the only plugin that really matters for this seems to be the Pro-L. Of course the other saturators/compressors shave a few db off of some peaks, but in general I assume it'll still work with just a Pro-L in the mix bus.

ashgallows: I am talking about 0dbVU in Satson, which is -18dbFS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
ashgallows
resonant manipulator

good stuff, it really preserves the feel song. one more thing, would you not drive the pro-l or clipper with the eq or pro-q in this case rather than the compressor as to not clip the eq? I dig the process, just trying to figure out why i'm still pulling -12 rms.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
smy1
Drink Beer, Kick Ass!

ashgallows: I don't know. I just used the compressor because it had the most obvious output gain knob. Yea, I'm simple like that.

And you are probably having problems getting loud because your mix has balance/frequency problems. The "better" my mixes got over the years, the easier it became to get them loud.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
schwinginbatman
It's shittay!

Also, what levels are your mixes hanging at before this?

EDIT: One more question, does your interface say it's clipping? I'm just wondering, because I'm trying it out with FerricTDS instead of Satson and Voxengo (or do I need to use different plugins?) and it clips pretty fast. I'm sure the frequency range has a decent bit to do with it too.

Last edited by schwinginbatman : February 2nd, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
AndrewB
That Darn Kid

So what does the Pro-L do that any other clipper/limiter doesn't/can't? It seems like driving any signal into a limiter or clipper hard enough will result in audible overcompression or clipping.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
ashgallows
resonant manipulator

i have a club track peaking at -2 and rms at -14. i also tried it out on a metal track with just the rythmn section (no guitars or vox) peaking -16, rms -30. I read on the forum that keeping the tracks around -18 ish helps with your mix and so far it has, just doesnt seem to get the same results with this method.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
smy1
Drink Beer, Kick Ass!

I really can't help all you guys with your questions. I'm more of an intuitive, "ear"-type mixer. I just wanted to share a method that worked for me, but I can't tell you why it works or doesn't work. Sorry!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM   #35 (permalink)
schwinginbatman
It's shittay!

Yeah, it seems pretty decent. I tried the clipping option in Ozone too, and TBH, so far the Ozone option has worked better. Maybe if I had all the plugins mentioned it'd work better, but for right now I got Ozone up to -6RMS without clipping.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Etrium

I tried your method and this is what I get
http://soundcloud.com/etrium/metalmix-1
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #37 (permalink)
smy1
Drink Beer, Kick Ass!

Etrium: how loud is that? It sound quite good on my iMac! The track is nice too!
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
dkTempo
Lieutenant Awesome

Right, maybe I'll understand this if someone can describe what it means to put something "at 1 or 2 db GR" or "at 1-4db GR", mainly steps 3) and 4).

Also, Duende Stereo Compressor, you're using the make-up gain as the output knob?

Last edited by dkTempo : February 27th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.