Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > F.O.H.
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F.O.H. Production tips, techniques, tutorials...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tommy Evans

Potentially dumb questions regarding amp sims through a live cab...

How do?

Id like to run a POD/LePou head through my mic'd 4x12. But not sure where to start. Anyone tried this? What do I need to make this work? I have POD UX1 and Presonus Audio Box for my interfaces.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
CAlexanderParra
Nocturnal Dream

Run the pod thru the effect return of your amp. If it's an ampsim route it to a line output on your interface and then run that thru the effects return.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Trevoire520

Yep Sim>fx return of amp (preferably valve imo)>cab

Make sure to turn the cab simulation off on your POD
Service: Re-amps (Examples Inside!)
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
DanLights
A Venezuelan in Europe

Re: Potentially dumb questions regarding amp sims through a live cab...

No need for the Pod if what you want is the ampsim, as said above, line out from your interface into the fx return (or power amp in as some amps call it) and voila. You do have an amp right? Not just interface to cab?

http://www.facebook.com/adintra

Weekly Favorites - Currently Listening
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kohugaly

I had a problem with this last time... when I connected the cab with my sound output it produced noise, that polluted the output from cab (even with output totally off on soundcard). It was doing the same no matter to what input/output it was pluged in. I checked everything - cab, amp, soundcard, daw, cable... Can someone explain where the problem might lie? Could it have something to do with impedance?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
if6was9
Ireland

On some amps the pre section is still engaged when you plug into the effects return so when you plug in you get tons of noise. Turn your preamp gain down/off and see if that helps. Had that problem with a Laney head when just using it's power section.

Used to run a setup like this for gigs, it was cool but to be honest it was a bit gimmicky. If you're playing to a click with your band then maybe set up all the tone changes via automation so you don't have to do any footswitching. That'd be the main advantage I can see.

Check out my band Shardborne. E.P available for free!
Bandcamp - http://shardborne.bandcamp.com
Soundcloud - http://soundcloud.com/shardborne
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ShardborneIreland
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tommy Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLights View Post
No need for the Pod if what you want is the ampsim, as said above, line out from your interface into the fx return (or power amp in as some amps call it) and voila. You do have an amp right? Not just interface to cab?
Yes I'll be using a Peavey Windsor and a Peavey XXX 4x12.

I'll need POD to use the pod heads that I want though. If I understand correctly, I'll connect my head to my cab like usual, then plug my POD UX1 interface into the FX Return jack on my head, then just open up pod with the cab bypassed and start rockin?

On my UX1 there's a mic input, an instrument input, a headphones input, two line inputs, a stereo monitor input, and two analog outputs (which my monitors are plugged into). Which of those gets connected to my FX Return?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
CAlexanderParra
Nocturnal Dream

You're probably going to have to sacrifice one of you're monitoring outputs to make it work, as neither of your interfaces have more then 2 outputs on them.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tommy Evans

Poo! I'll try it out anyway and hope for the best. Thanks guys.
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
CronosBeyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohugaly View Post
I had a problem with this last time... when I connected the cab with my sound output it produced noise, that polluted the output from cab (even with output totally off on soundcard). It was doing the same no matter to what input/output it was pluged in. I checked everything - cab, amp, soundcard, daw, cable... Can someone explain where the problem might lie? Could it have something to do with impedance?
Try a reamping box. When connecting the line out of an interface with the input of an amp you have impedance missmatching. A reamping box will solve this. When running an amp sim you have to go into the FX return of your amp - here I also use a reamping box and get great results.

Something like the Palmer Daccapo, Radial RMP, ... will do the job.
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kohugaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronosBeyond View Post
Try a reamping box. When connecting the line out of an interface with the input of an amp you have impedance missmatching. A reamping box will solve this. When running an amp sim you have to go into the FX return of your amp - here I also use a reamping box and get great results.

Something like the Palmer Daccapo, Radial RMP, ... will do the job.
yop...thanks ....just as i thought ...first I plugged it into normal input... basssssh (noise)...than i tried FX return Fsssshh (the same) ... convolver does the job anyway for now, until I get better new cab, reamp box and possibly a new guitar,...
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
CronosBeyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohugaly View Post
yop...thanks ....just as i thought ...first I plugged it into normal input... basssssh (noise)...than i tried FX return Fsssshh (the same) ... convolver does the job anyway for now, until I get better new cab, reamp box and possibly a new guitar,...
Impedance missmatch absolutely - yeah, a reamping box will solve the problem for sure