Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > F.O.H.
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F.O.H. Production tips, techniques, tutorials...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Plendakor

Reaper - How to disable stretch when changing BPM ?

Last edited by Plendakor : January 28th, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
RedDog
Humanoid typhoon

Right click, set timebase to time. At least I think that's what it is. Stretch back to fit.

GEAR:
5150, Randall RH100
Mesa oversize (v30)
TS9, BBE Free Fuzz, Dunlop CFH Dime Wah.
DA: Scarlett 18i20, Octopre.
Mics: Rode NT5, SM57, i5, D2, D4, D6, e609, e602, AKG P120/220.
Monitoring: Yamaha hs80m, Mackie MR5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
mstone564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plendakor View Post
Hey I need a little hand please... I selected a portion of an MP3 and found out it was 84 BPM (I love that Reaper can do that) but then I want to set Reaper to 84 BPM because it's 120 BPOM by default and it stretches the tune...

I don't want to stretch it, it'll be perfectly aligned at 84 if intact... now I know that I can just re-import the tune at 84 BPM but I'm sure there's an option to disable.
Wait, what?

How do? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Old February 16th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Flow Of Time

Quote:
Select something precise like 4 bars, well cut on the wave forms, and check at the bottom of Reaper, on the right. There are some time/code selection things, just put your mouse over it (don't click).

RedDog, unfortunatly, it does not work ;(
That sounds interesting.. I'll have to try that out^^

What RedDog said should work.. Alternatively you could try to set the timebase of the whole project to time:
Alt+Enter -> Timebase for items/envelopes/markers: -> Time
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
miguelrx10d
Axe Addicted

Usually when that happens I right click the file - Item Properties - and set the Playback rate to 1
Old February 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Colin M. St. Claire

If all else fails just open a new session, set the bpm to 84, THEN insert the mp3. I've had this happen in reaper to, but I can't remember how I took care of it :/
Old February 17th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
schismatic
Kintsugi is coming

If you set the timebase of the item to beats (position) only, I think it should always map to the position you have it in terms of what bar it starts on, but it should be unaffected by any change to project or section BPM. That way it's unaffected by time and tempo changes outside of that item. I might be totally sodding wrong though.

Kit:

Axes:
Ibanez RG1570, Peavey Cherrywood Bass, Martin DX1

Drums:
Roland HD-1

Guitar Rig:
Bugera 6260 2x12
JF-01 overdrive, Boss NS-2, Ibanez DL5, EHX Stereo Memory Man Hazarai, Bright Onion ABY Looper
Free VST sims + Nebula Cabs

Mics:
SM57, Rode M3, SP B1

Reaper

Old February 17th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
DanLights
A Venezuelan in Europe

Dude, in project properties (alt+enter), select "project timebase" to "time" instead of "beats" as it is by default.

It can also be done individually by tracks, by right clicking on the track and changing the "set track timebase to" option to "project default" or a specific one for that. Simple rule is, "beats" for midi tracks, "time" for audio tracks and all should work fine

http://www.facebook.com/adintra

Weekly Favorites - Currently Listening
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
bryan_kilco

Quote:
Select something precise like 4 bars, well cut on the wave forms, and check at the bottom of Reaper, on the right. There are some time/code selection things, just put your mouse over it (don't click).

RedDog, unfortunatly, it does not work ;(
I don't understand. This isn't working for me...unless I'm doing something wrong....
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
LeSedna
Mat or Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLights View Post
Dude, in project properties (alt+enter), select "project timebase" to "time" instead of "beats" as it is by default.

It can also be done individually by tracks, by right clicking on the track and changing the "set track timebase to" option to "project default" or a specific one for that. Simple rule is, "beats" for midi tracks, "time" for audio tracks and all should work fine
This, whenever you have a sync problem with stretching/tempo markers, check the timebase settings and play with them.
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
AudioGeekZine
arsehole know-it-all

I explain project and track timebases in this video
http://reaperblog.net/2013/01/video-...ops-in-reaper/
Old December 2nd, 2013, 01:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
bryan_kilco

I've having a serious issue with this right now. A band gave me some drums (midi) with the tempos embedded, but the tempos are doubled in their version.

So, the start tempo is 280, but I want to halve it to 140 so I can embed the "proper" click source. Everything I've been trying stretches the midi out. I can manually shrink the midi down to "Playrate 2.000" once I've changed the Time Sig/Tempo Markers, but then it creates a weird spot in the song where the "1" beat doesn't fall on the "1" grid line, and I can simply move the Tempo Marker to it's correct spot, but the grid doesn't change and it throws my click off.

A slight workaround is to set the temp to 4/2 and it provides the proper click speed. I adjusted Timebase settings and all that, and still, every time I change a tempo marker, it stretches/shrinks the MIDI info. I guess I can get by with this little workaround, but it's still frustrating.

Last edited by bryan_kilco : December 2nd, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
AudioGeekZine
arsehole know-it-all

Set the item timebase to time or beats, position.

Timebases can be set for each item, each track, or entire project.