In Flames  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > In Flames
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

In Flames Non-official In Flames forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Jester313
Clad in shadows

I'm pretty sure that they continue to grow their legacy because they keep getting bigger, but not necessarily more commercial. And I think if they started with R2R they would still be my favorite band and other people's as well.

Pro-Bottled. Not the worst song ever.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Shadow King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE4life View Post
Commercially it would make no sense whatsoever for them to do that. And it's obvious they don't really care about their "legacy".
True, that much is obvious.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
A88
Anti-Bottled Brigade

I must agree with violentrl.

If In Flames started with RTR, they would be observed like something between Korn and Killswitch engage. Popular (especially in the USA), modern, catchy band with no real substance or importance to overall history of hard rock and metal.

Luckily for them, they have TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman, so they still have legendary status.

Last edited by A88 : October 25th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
DE4life
rap and hiphop guru

Unfortunately, I don't think N'Flamez view their older albums in the same way most of us do.

In fact, I think they consider those albums an annoying burden. They'd much rather be remembered for the "grooves" and sing-a-long chorus's and emo lyrics ... as opposed to epic guitar work, incredible vocals, amazing lyrics and fans who don't look like dickheads. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A88 View Post
"We wanted to evolve as an artists and musicians, to make timeless masterpieces - so we started doing 3 minute radio hits. The crowd was shit back in the '90 or early '00, but when we started doing stuff like Disconnected - wow, mayhem, mosh pits everywhere, those true metalheads in the first row, die-hard fans."
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
krofius

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think N'Flamez view their older albums in the same way most of us do.

In fact, I think they consider those albums an annoying burden. They'd much rather be remembered for the "grooves" and sing-a-long chorus's and emo lyrics ... as opposed to epic guitar work, incredible vocals, amazing lyrics and fans who don't look like dickheads. Go figure.
Not sure if you are trolling or not, but their view is that on each album they've done, they've done the best they could at the time. And they are all super proud of all their albums.
But the sea is never full
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
krofius

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentrl View Post
Lunar Strain to Clayman was a progress and a very good one. In Flames would be legendary if they ended their career after that.
If In Flames only made new catalogue from Reroute to SOPF, no one would give a shit about them, they would just be another generic band.

They should make more "A New Dawn" type songs with Anders growling again.
So you in all honesty would rather not have ANY of the post-Clayman albums existing? If you just like ONE song post Clayman, it's just something positive that they didn't abruptly break up after Clayman. Yes, Lunar Strain to Clayman was also a big progression, but R2R-SOAPF isn't any bigger. We should be glad we have even Colony & Clayman the way they are, Fredrik Nordström said IF was really tired of the guitar harmonies while recording Whoracle, but he told them they had to do them all, but I guess later they decided to do what they really wanted and not give a fuck about letting down people expecting certain stuff from them, and I think that's a good thing.
So in a way, you could actually say IF mini-sold out while doing Whoracle since they didn't actually do what they wanted. Though I think their reason was for not letting down fans rather than money, as they were kinda underground still. You could perceive it as a kind of sell-out though ^^
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
DE4life
rap and hiphop guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krofius View Post
Not sure if you are trolling or not, but their view is that on each album they've done, they've done the best they could at the time. And they are all super proud of all their albums.

Quote:
"We wanted to evolve as an artists and musicians, to make timeless masterpieces - so we started doing 3 minute radio hits. The crowd was shit back in the '90 or early '00, but when we started doing stuff like Disconnected - wow, mayhem, mosh pits everywhere, those true metalheads in the first row, die-hard fans."
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
A88
Anti-Bottled Brigade

Not just proud, SUPER proud!
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #34 (permalink)
inflamesmetalll
Evil in a toilet

Krof the WhOracle
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
DE4life
rap and hiphop guru

Quote:

Saying you're super proud of STYE or ASOP is essentially like saying you're super proud you just shit yourself.

Quote:
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
A88
Anti-Bottled Brigade

Hey man, they don't care what you think...or maybe they do...

The quallity of music is determined by the test of time. Most of "new era" albums failed on that test. They have the quallity of every other modern pop release: catchy, uptempo, simple etc but short-lived.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #37 (permalink)
DE4life
rap and hiphop guru

Quote:
Hey man, they don't care what you think...or maybe they do...
Man, that just makes me feel like shit ... but at least I feel something

Quote:
The quallity of music is determined by the test of time. Most of "new era" albums failed on that test. They have the quallity of every other modern pop release: catchy, uptempo, simple etc but short-lived.
Agreed. But as long as they're super proud it's OK

Quote:
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
A88
Anti-Bottled Brigade

Quote:
Man, that just makes me feel like shit ... but at least I feel something
It never gets old...

Oh, the irony...the most influential In Flames lyrics of all time.
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #39 (permalink)
DE4life
rap and hiphop guru

The line is just so terrible you can basically apply it to anything for a laugh good old Anders and his early-mid-life emo crisis.

Quote:
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
Jester313
Clad in shadows

Quote:
Saying you're super proud of STYE or ASOP is essentially like saying you're super proud you just shit yourself.
What if you've been extremely constipated for so long that shitting yourself is a huge relief??

Pro-Bottled. Not the worst song ever.
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #41 (permalink)
DE4life
rap and hiphop guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester313 View Post
What if you've been extremely constipated for so long that shitting yourself is a huge relief??
People are still going to be like

Quote:
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
GraemeSinclair

So... we're essentially just having the same Old vs. New argument which has dominated 90% of In Flames discussion for about 10 years?

Oh well, I genuinely thought that SOAPF was so different to any release post-Reroute that it might have made people see things differently. Guess I was wrong...
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #43 (permalink)
krofius

Quote:
Don't laugh at me, it's not my words, it's a direct quote. I'm just the messenger ^^ Btw the Disconnected lyric line joke is not at all getting old or boring.
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #44 (permalink)
krofius

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflamesmetalll View Post
Krof the WhOracle
You know it. Actually, when I'm gaming, my nick is actually Whoracle
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #45 (permalink)
DE4life
rap and hiphop guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeSinclair View Post
So... we're essentially just having the same Old vs. New argument which has dominated 90% of In Flames discussion for about 10 years?

Oh well, I genuinely thought that SOAPF was so different to any release post-Reroute that it might have made people see things differently. Guess I was wrong...
Unfortunately releasing SOAPF does not erase STYE or ASOP from their history. It's like pushing an old lady down the stairs, twice, then later helping her across the road (whilst showing no remorse for your horrific past actions) and saying "see, I'm good now". No, you're still an asshole for what you did before, fuck you

Quote:
Don't laugh at me, it's not my words, it's a direct quote. I'm just the messenger ^^
Well then he isn't laughing at you, is he?

Quote:
Btw the Disconnected lyric line joke is not at all getting old or boring.
I'm glad you are still amused by it bro I'll have to use it more often.

Quote:
Old October 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
Dantess9226

STFU bashing STYE will you? Geez. STYE FTW, it is Metulz and you know it.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
krofius

Quote:
Unfortunately releasing SOAPF does not erase STYE or ASOP from their history. It's like pushing an old lady down the stairs, twice, then later helping her across the road (whilst showing no remorse for your horrific past actions) and saying "see, I'm good now". No, you're still an asshole for what you did before, fuck you

Well then he isn't laughing at you, is he?

I'm glad you are still amused by it bro I'll have to use it more often.
You really remind me of WeAreInFlames, you're like a clone, which isn't really something positive.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
drawntoblack

Quote:
You really remind me of WeAreInFlames, you're like a clone, which isn't really something positive.
Dude, I think you just got troll'd hard.

I also have to say that STYE is way better than SOAPF, now that some time has passed. At least I want to listen to STYE every once in a while, whereas I havent listened to SOAPF in months, nor do I want to.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
A88
Anti-Bottled Brigade

You are such a dick DTB! SOAPF is waaaaay better than shitty, boring, emo wannabe STYE. Why can't you and Krofi talk some sense once in a while?

Last edited by A88 : October 28th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
drawntoblack

STYE at least still has a bit of that raw energy to it. SOAPF sounds too fucking happy quite often, and overall songs are a lot less memorable. I'm making myself listen to it right now, and the only song that I actually want to listen is Fear is the weakness.