Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com
 
Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > General Metal Discussion


Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #201 (permalink)
AchrisK
Weakling
 
AchrisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedofvengeance View Post
Not even close to a Nu-Metal band. They're just metal. I love them, and still to this day, there is nothing that gets the pit moving more than a Pantera cover.
...and I don't consider them nu-metal either. They are some kinda tough-guy metal. They seem more closely related to hardcore than metal in some ways, and I think they helped encourage the whole 90's HC movement to some degree, though never really being a HC band. They were one of the few metal bands that the media was aware of at the time. That along with simple, easy to digest tunes made them the metal band of the 90's...just about by default.
__________________
ack

I'm near the edge, I'm on the edge, I'm off the edge...JUMP!

My Collection

-

Last edited by AchrisK: Tomorrow at 03:33 AM.
AchrisK is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #202 (permalink)
Manic Ferocity
Senior Member
 
Manic Ferocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,125
I just don't care for Pantera other than a select few songs.
Manic Ferocity is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #203 (permalink)
Vitor
Unconventional [Listener]
 
Vitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro, BR
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchrisK View Post
...and I don't consider them nu-metal either. They are some kinda tough-guy metal. They seem more closely related to hardcore than metal in some ways, and I think they helped encourage the whole 90's HC movement to some degree, though never really being a HC band. They were one of the few metal bands that the media was aware of at the time. That along with simple, easy to digest tunes made them the metal band of the 90's...just about by default.

HC??? dude, pantera was a jazz metal band that reinvented the way of metal and influenced many horrible bands, but they (pantera) were great at all
__________________


FACEBOOK



Sorry for my engrish
Vitor is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #204 (permalink)
Ender Rises
Wass sappening?
 
Ender Rises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Athens, Greece. I wish. Athens, Texas, in cruel reality.
Posts: 9,091
Jazz metal? What?
__________________
You are fucking worthless. I don't give a fuck about you.

Myspace|YouTube|Facebook|Last.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Crystal Ice View Post
I live in America, if you don't want to speak American you can go back to your cave in Afghanistan with your liberal terrorist buddies.
Ender Rises is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #205 (permalink)
Vitor
Unconventional [Listener]
 
Vitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro, BR
Posts: 3,512
Yep, jazz metal! Dimebag had a strong influence from jazz. Just pay attention to the solos and most of the riffs. And what i could say about Vinnie Paul? he was the best drummer of heavy metal for a moment, and he had been chosen the best by the Modern Drummer Magazine.
__________________


FACEBOOK



Sorry for my engrish
Vitor is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #206 (permalink)
Ender Rises
Wass sappening?
 
Ender Rises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Athens, Greece. I wish. Athens, Texas, in cruel reality.
Posts: 9,091
Every guitar player in metal is heavily influenced by jazz and blues.
__________________
You are fucking worthless. I don't give a fuck about you.

Myspace|YouTube|Facebook|Last.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Crystal Ice View Post
I live in America, if you don't want to speak American you can go back to your cave in Afghanistan with your liberal terrorist buddies.
Ender Rises is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #207 (permalink)
Vitor
Unconventional [Listener]
 
Vitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro, BR
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender Rises View Post
Every guitar player in metal is heavily influenced by jazz and blues.

Yep. Everybody can see how B. B. King has influenced bands like Exhumed and Enthroned
__________________


FACEBOOK



Sorry for my engrish
Vitor is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #208 (permalink)
seedofvengeance
Boosh!
 
seedofvengeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fuck You, I'm from Texas
Posts: 3,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchrisK View Post
...and I don't consider them nu-metal either. They are some kinda tough-guy metal. They seem more closely related to hardcore than metal in some ways, and I think they helped encourage the whole 90's HC movement to some degree, though never really being a HC band. They were one of the few metal bands that the media was aware of at the time. That along with simple, easy to digest tunes made them the metal band of the 90's...just about by default.
Agreed.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretallicA View Post
Finally, someone with some sensible erototheistic observations.
seedofvengeance is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #209 (permalink)
Ender Rises
Wass sappening?
 
Ender Rises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Athens, Greece. I wish. Athens, Texas, in cruel reality.
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by childrengrinder View Post
Yep. Everybody can see how B. B. King has influenced bands like Exhumed and Enthroned
The way in which metal guitar players play the guitar, create riffs and solos, and look at the guitar in general was done by jazz and blues before metal was ever a genre. Except for perhaps back metal, everything in metal has been done by jazz and blues guitar players, just in a different way.
__________________
You are fucking worthless. I don't give a fuck about you.

Myspace|YouTube|Facebook|Last.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Crystal Ice View Post
I live in America, if you don't want to speak American you can go back to your cave in Afghanistan with your liberal terrorist buddies.
Ender Rises is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #210 (permalink)
ThrashMetalAddict
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 3
Off the top of my head:

Overkill (a few so-so releases but none I would call bad)
Sodom
Tankard
Death
Morbid Angel
Nevermore
Vader
Agent Steel
DRI
Dismember
ThrashMetalAddict is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #211 (permalink)
tagradh
Senior Member
 
tagradh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Leicester
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashMetalAddict View Post
Off the top of my head:

Overkill (a few so-so releases but none I would call bad)
Sodom
Tankard
Death
Morbid Angel
Nevermore
Vader
Agent Steel
DRI
Dismember
Not being a dick but incase you were yet to notice, you can edit posts. :> I'd agree on some of those bands but Morbid Angel and Sodom? =p
__________________
tagradh is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #212 (permalink)
Manic Ferocity
Senior Member
 
Manic Ferocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,125
Sodom has been mediocre since Agent Orange.
Manic Ferocity is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #213 (permalink)
ThrashMetalAddict
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagradh View Post
Not being a dick but incase you were yet to notice, you can edit posts. :> I'd agree on some of those bands but Morbid Angel and Sodom? =p
Yeah, not sure what happened on the double post. Anyway, yes, I have all of MA and Sodom's stuff and although I have my preferences I enjoy em all.
ThrashMetalAddict is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #214 (permalink)
V.V.V.V.V.
Houses Ov Mercury
 
V.V.V.V.V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Encased Within A Mile-Deep Pit Of Feces (or, Lowell, MA)
Posts: 31,983
I cleared it up for you, never worry
__________________



V.V.V.V.V. is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #215 (permalink)
waif
Senior Member
 
waif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 18,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureInfinity View Post
Sodom has been mediocre since Agent Orange.
M16 was fantastic
But the last one (s/t) was awful
waif is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #216 (permalink)
sloughfegkillers
The Humble Swede
 
sloughfegkillers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 3,991
Destroyer 666 will never release a bad one imo
sloughfegkillers is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #217 (permalink)
ShredHeadJHJ
oh noes itz a opinionn
 
ShredHeadJHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by childrengrinder View Post
Yep, jazz metal! Dimebag had a strong influence from jazz. Just pay attention to the solos and most of the riffs.
No, just no. Dimebag did not know shit about Jazz. In all his carerr he never even played a Jazz progression. He drew all his influence from Van Halen & Randy Rhoads, which neither one of them played Jazz either. I doubt Dimebag could play Jazz improv if his life depended on it. He was a Rock/Metal guy so I'm sure he could play some Blues, but Jazz is much further up on the evolutionary chain than Blues.

You're clearly wrong this time, my friend. I just wanted to point that out... You're probably joking anyways... So nevamind.

Last edited by ShredHeadJHJ : February 12th, 2008 at 04:29 AM.
ShredHeadJHJ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #218 (permalink)
Mean Machine
Happy Little Boozer
 
Mean Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,689
Testament
Iced Earth
Dungeon
Rotting Christ
Agalloch

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
__________________

Metal Obsession
www.metalobsession.net
Australian metal news, reviews, interviews, gig guides, photos and more.
Mean Machine is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #219 (permalink)
Rumpole
Dust and Bones
 
Rumpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloughfegkillers View Post
Destroyer 666 will never release a bad one imo
Never say never (although it would be pretty unlikely), but everything they've put out is of exceptional quality.

True Sons Of Satan!
__________________
CHRONIC HEAVY METAL POISON
last.fm
Rumpole is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #220 (permalink)
waif
Senior Member
 
waif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 18,674
We'd all like to pretend Testament never released Low and The Ritual, but they did...
waif is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #221 (permalink)
The Ozzman
Commander Smooth
 
The Ozzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USS Enterprise-D
Posts: 23,272
But neither album is THAT bad...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow View Post
Come on dude, you've been here long enough. You should know how this stuff works. The darkest, assholest tasting beer = the best. Only true metal accepted. Only blackest ov the black coffee accepted. I've noticed pretty much everything on this website is distorted reality from every other human being I've actually came into contact with.
This line will remain until Corrosion of Conformity (with Pepper) releases another album (4/15/08; amended 12/7/10)
The Ozzman is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #222 (permalink)
Vitor
Unconventional [Listener]
 
Vitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro, BR
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredHeadJHJ View Post
No, just no. Dimebag did not know shit about Jazz. In all his carerr he never even played a Jazz progression. He drew all his influence from Van Halen & Randy Rhoads, which neither one of them played Jazz either. I doubt Dimebag could play Jazz improv if his life depended on it. He was a Rock/Metal guy so I'm sure he could play some Blues, but Jazz is much further up on the evolutionary chain than Blues.

You're clearly wrong this time, my friend. I just wanted to point that out... You're probably joking anyways... So nevamind.

i agree with what you said about the difference between jazz and blues, but i'm sure that dimebag had a strong influence from jazz, not jazz improv that i call jazz fusion or modern jazz.
__________________


FACEBOOK



Sorry for my engrish
Vitor is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #223 (permalink)
ShredHeadJHJ
oh noes itz a opinionn
 
ShredHeadJHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreInFlames View Post
We'd all like to pretend Testament never released Low and The Ritual, but they did...
The Ritual is great! It's their Black Album. Musicians have to eat too, don't hate! Low sucks miserable sweaty donkey bawlz, however. I wish there was some way they could have kept Skolnick... The Gathering was their best album after he left.
ShredHeadJHJ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #224 (permalink)
The Ozzman
Commander Smooth
 
The Ozzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USS Enterprise-D
Posts: 23,272
Low is definitely Testament's worst release. Dog Faced Gods is a killer track though
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow View Post
Come on dude, you've been here long enough. You should know how this stuff works. The darkest, assholest tasting beer = the best. Only true metal accepted. Only blackest ov the black coffee accepted. I've noticed pretty much everything on this website is distorted reality from every other human being I've actually came into contact with.
This line will remain until Corrosion of Conformity (with Pepper) releases another album (4/15/08; amended 12/7/10)
The Ozzman is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #225 (permalink)
Jreg
Totally rad.
 
Jreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 994
So I am the only one who also wasn't too wild about Demonic?
__________________
Burning Shadows
Jreg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2014 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media