Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > General Metal Discussion > GMD Social Forum

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
unknown
onderers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim Belial View Post
Damn, that isn't a bad price at all. I was thinking about UCR, as their philo dept is one of the best around on this coast. Of course, that is in Riverside...and I don't have the vehicle to make those trips

Well, if I ever just start shitting money, I can go to the clairemont colleges haha....so much money it takes
I thought about UCR...they're one of the few schools in california that offers a degree in Creative Writing. CSULB has a creative writing minor and a Master's creative writing program (which is pretty competitive, but they all are) but no goddamn Bachelor's. whatever.

for all you highschoolers that are/will be graduating, do you have any ideas as to what you want to major in?

This line will remain in my sig until Ozz takes his down [4/17/08]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Cythraul
to ritualistic murder

I was going to graduate this month but I decided I didn't want to leave town so now I have a second major and I will be sticking around here for another year. I'm in the middle of finals. It fucking sucks. That is all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
entanglement

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIRATH View Post
That's why I decided not to go for a Master's degree. It would mean another two years (at least) on top of what I'd already done and I was kind of done with school by that point. And also in the industry I work in (IT) a Master's degree doesn't really offer all that many additional job opportunities over a Bachelor's degree (infact pretty much none).

The only reason why I would have considered it at all would be having class mates that possibly actually give a damn about what they are doing (something mostly lacking in the classes I was in which towards the end of my study kind of started to kill my own motivation for studying) and maybe some more interesting higher level subjects. But shrug, I was 24 when I got my Bachelor's so by the time I'd get my Master's I'd be about 27.
I'm in the second year of my bachelor's course in IT and I can relate to that situation... not even 20% of the population is truly serious towards what they are doing. Sometimes I wish I was better at chemistry, so I could have gotten admission at a better university.

I'm not going for a master's either.. the same reasons you mentioned.

Last edited by entanglement : May 9th, 2007 at 04:18 AM.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
s_a_o
The Face of Melinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Brutal View Post
You have to drink/smoke with me first.
I do? Okay then.

I never deny a free drink.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
skeptik

DONE
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
~Derek~

I finished my freshman year of school yesterday at UT Martin, I got 3 years left there.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Skepticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I thought about UCR...they're one of the few schools in california that offers a degree in Creative Writing. CSULB has a creative writing minor and a Master's creative writing program (which is pretty competitive, but they all are) but no goddamn Bachelor's. whatever.

for all you highschoolers that are/will be graduating, do you have any ideas as to what you want to major in?
You said it in your post, creative writting.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
MasterOLightning
Optimator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningWitch View Post
You said it in your post, creative writting.
With a minor in creative spelling, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnromulans View Post
Asshole is bleeding from overuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
if it's a girl who's sleeping outside, or in a homeless shelter, you can take her to a cheap motel room that you've rented for one night, she'll have sex with you just so she can be in a motel room for a night
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Dazed and Brutal
Yall About to Witness

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Anthropology.

The Red Sun Mocks My Sadness
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
unknown
onderers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOLightning View Post
With a minor in creative spelling, right?
oh snap!

I'm thinking of doing my master's in creative writing...but MFA programs are always really tough to get into. If I don't get accepted into any, I'll just get my masters in English

Quote:
Anthropology.

that should be interesting. tough...but interesting

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Hell Awaits Us All
Banned

1 more week until it's all over for me

summer will be fucking awesome, lots of free time to work out and try to get laid as often as possible
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
MasterOLightning
Optimator

Creative writing is hard. Good luck to anyone going through with that. I'm majoring in journalism. I've got one year to go in that. So far I've been published in Chicago Parent and Chicago Baby. I'll see about some other things this summer. I still don't have a job lined up yet.

Quote:
Quote:
if it's a girl who's sleeping outside, or in a homeless shelter, you can take her to a cheap motel room that you've rented for one night, she'll have sex with you just so she can be in a motel room for a night
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
unknown
onderers

I have to send in one of my stories to a lit magazine for my fiction writing class. should be fun

Old May 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Pessimism
Endemic Vagabond

Quote:
Anthropology.
Which subsection - linguistical, religious, cultural, physical, etc.?

You taught me language, and my profit on't Is, I know how to curse.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

I just had my best semester yet. Whoo!
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #41 (permalink)
Death Aflame
voice of dissent

I'm in Communications (*waits for insults*) and Film Studies. I really don't have much of an idea about what I want to do once I graduate other than I would like it to be media related (advertising, pr, broadcasting, films, videogames etc.).
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
skeptik

Where are you going after, Rutgers?
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #43 (permalink)
Hammer of Might
Banned

I had a scientific friend who couldn't understand the point of doing History. I personally can't think of anything more interesting, except Heavy Metal in tied first place. People who don't understand or care about the past are the ones who seem crazy to me.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
s_a_o
The Face of Melinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer of Might View Post
I had a scientific friend who couldn't understand the point of doing History. I personally can't think of anything more interesting, except Heavy Metal in tied first place. People who don't understand or care about the past are the ones who seem crazy to me.
So damned true.

There are a lot of people who don't understand why I would want to study this, but I find it to be the most interesting thing out there to study. The past is insanely vast and to disregard it would be stupid.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
skeptik

but the past already happened
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
Astrum
Psion

Words of wisdom.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Zephyrus
Tyrants and Slaves

Anyone else here taking AP exams this/next week? These tests are fucking brutal. I had the English Literature/Composition exam today. Three hours of 60 multiple choice and three, count em three essays all in one sitting. I've got the Latin/Vergil test next Friday, that one should be much easier.

For those of you who don't know what AP is, it stands for Advanced Placement. It's a class you take in high school that grants you college credit should you pass the exam around which the course's curriculum is set. It's really useful if you want to get a head start on studying a certain subject in college, or it's good for clearing space in your schedule of those pesky core requirements.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
MasterOLightning
Optimator

I remember that English one. I got a four, but Northwestern only takes fives in a lot of stuff. I at least got a five in US Gov't. It was so easy. US History wasn't that hard either. I ended up getting out of three courses in college. It was definitely worth the work and effort back in high school.

Quote:
Quote:
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
Zephyrus
Tyrants and Slaves

Yeah I'll be pissed if I score too low on the English exam. I spent my whole year in that fucking hellhole of a class, full of snobby leftist girls, and to know it was for nothing would be absolutely devastating.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
MasterOLightning
Optimator

You definitely want to skip English classes in college if possible. The reading loads are brutal, and it'll detract from whatever else you're working on.

Quote:
Quote: