Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > General Metal Discussion > GMD Social Forum

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #37251 (permalink)
Xorv
Drug the Priest

can that shit max crysis?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM   #37252 (permalink)
King Richard
Always against the wind

^Not sure, I would think so.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM   #37253 (permalink)
zabu of nΩd
narrator of non-existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigloch the Furious View Post
i just owned some bacon. Feels good

so yeah, how's that diet / weight loss goin?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM   #37254 (permalink)
King Richard
Always against the wind

What diet?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #37255 (permalink)
Xorv
Drug the Priest

that IS his diet
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:54 PM   #37256 (permalink)
Vimana

Don't call it a diet. Diet is synonymous with what someone eats to stop being fat. It needs a word that has no such synonym.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #37257 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM   #37258 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabu of nΩd View Post
so yeah, how's that diet / weight loss goin?
meh, I've been at 186/187 the entire winter. so what I put on 7-8 lbs
When the weather finally warms up I'll be biking every single day.
Come July 19th when I post my naked pic like I've done the past 2 years, I'll look amazing. So I dont give a fuck about what I do in the next month or so.
Cant wait to ride to work every day. Especially since gas is going to be stupid expensive.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM   #37259 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

Just for Krampus

Old March 4th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #37260 (permalink)
waif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorv View Post
can that shit max crysis?
Crysis isn't really that demanding on current hardware. PCs outstrip the capabilities of the 360 and PS3, but all the best-looking, big-budget games are multiplatform/pc exclusive, so graphics haven't really evolved past the capabilities of the consoles. As a consequence, it's pretty cheap to build a PC that can run anything. The exception is when devs optimize poorly, such as with The Witcher 2. That game looked fantastic on PC (easily one of the best looking games ever) but ran poorly.
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #37261 (permalink)
Xorv
Drug the Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreInFlames View Post
Crysis isn't really that demanding on current hardware. PCs outstrip the capabilities of the 360 and PS3, but all the best-looking, big-budget games are multiplatform/pc exclusive, so graphics haven't really evolved past the capabilities of the consoles. As a consequence, it's pretty cheap to build a PC that can run anything. The exception is when devs optimize poorly, such as with The Witcher 2. That game looked fantastic on PC (easily one of the best looking games ever) but ran poorly.
someone has never heard of dx11 tessellation. ugh,
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #37262 (permalink)
Master_Yoda77
Jerking off to SKR

Shit, my bro's computer can max both Crysis games. That thing should do even better.
True Doom Metal. For fans of Hour of 13, Reverend Bizarre, Cirith Ungol, Revelation, Witchfinder General. FOSD.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...2214502165672\
www.myspace.com/olorindoom

Old March 5th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #37263 (permalink)
~Neurotica
perfectly insane

hello

Old March 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #37264 (permalink)
Death Delirium
Raagoonshinnaah.

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #37265 (permalink)
Balls McHoolihan
You mean coitus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Delirium View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #37266 (permalink)
waif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorv View Post
someone has never heard of dx11 tessellation. ugh,
I'm not saying the technology's not there, I'm saying people are barely using it.
Observe:
Is there a difference? Sure. But barely.
Look at it in an actual game:
even more negligible.

Point is: very few or no major developers are putting significant effort into advancing PC graphics, because if you can't release it for consoles you're left with a very pretty, very expensive game that not that many people can play.

And to be honest, that's fine. Graphics are good enough as is. There's going to be another generation of consoles, but this should be the last, because we're well into the territory of diminishing returns. Where visuals need improvement is in animation and aesthetics, not polygon count, texture mapping, and shaders. Sure, those things can be improved, but it's not really worth the effort required.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #37267 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

Quote:
And to be honest, that's fine. Graphics are good enough as is. There's going to be another generation of consoles, but this should be the last, because we're well into the territory of diminishing returns. Where visuals need improvement is in animation and aesthetics, not polygon count, texture mapping, and shaders. Sure, those things can be improved, but it's not really worth the effort required.
Have had that discussion recently. Animations need polishing in a lot of cases, but the level of detail is already incredible in most new, serious games. I mean, how much better do you really want games to look?
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #37268 (permalink)
skeptik

I'm totally in support of the idea of a technological 'cap' of sorts. Aesthetics is firmly secondary to a quality storyline and playability. There are times when graphics enhance the experience, but if they were really all that essential, people wouldn't still be playing NES games. I really don't need a game to look any better than Skyrim does, for example. What more can be gained beyond what the visuals in this game capture?
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #37269 (permalink)
Der Morgenstern
Trailer Park Bacchus

I have this above my computers at the lab.

Old March 5th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #37270 (permalink)
Zephyrus
Tyrants and Slaves

I love Rheims Cathedral! Too bad the Krauts bombed out most of the stained glass.
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #37271 (permalink)
waif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I'm totally in support of the idea of a technological 'cap' of sorts. Aesthetics is firmly secondary to a quality storyline and playability. There are times when graphics enhance the experience, but if they were really all that essential, people wouldn't still be playing NES games. I really don't need a game to look any better than Skyrim does, for example. What more can be gained beyond what the visuals in this game capture?
Aesthetics and graphical fidelity are separate things. Aesthetics are what make Diablo 2 still look good despite its laughable graphical fidelity.
Also, while Skyrim's graphical fidelity is adequate, the incredibly poor animations really do detract from the experience. It's hard to feel immersed in another world when someone sits down and their sword clips right through the chair.

But yes, plot and gameplay are getting shafted lately. Although the reason for that is not simply that developers are focusing on graphics.
Plot is getting shafted because the casualization of gaming has led to an audience increasingly disinterested in the plot, so why bother? For example, most people playing the Modern Warfare or Battlefield games jump straight to the multiplayer, so why bother coming up with an interesting story? Or even one that makes the slightest fucking bit of sense. This even extends to something like Skyrim, which you'd typically think of as a hardcore game. The success of Oblivion brought in a much bigger audience, one whose intellectual fortitude Bethesda seems to have fairly little confidence in, so the depth of the lore and the stories the game tells have been reduced significantly in favor of a simple system that gives players bite-sized quests. Sure, all the lore from the older games is still present, but they haven't added or expanded much, and what they have added is basically just Norse myths with the nouns changed around a bit. So Skyrim is deep compared to most current games, but compared to something like Morrowind it's nothing. Still a good game, but the story has clearly been shafted to suit a more casual audience.
As for gameplay, triple-a games cost a lot to make, and the people bankrolling them want a guaranteed return on their investment. Thus they've become as risk-averse as Hollywood.
Sorry for the manifesto. I'm still kinda pissed about the new ME3 debacle.
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #37272 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

Quote:
Plot is getting shafted because the casualization of gaming has led to an audience increasingly disinterested in the plot, so why bother? For example, most people playing the Modern Warfare or Battlefield games jump straight to the multiplayer, so why bother coming up with an interesting story? Or even one that makes the slightest fucking bit of sense.

There have been a lot of articles on this now. People are content to spend hours playing "Angry Birds", so why make a Trip A game?
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #37273 (permalink)
waif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatch View Post
There have been a lot of articles on this now. People are content to spend hours playing "Angry Birds", so why make a Trip A game?
Big games like Modern Warfare and WoW make shitloads of money, but a miscalculation can cost them dearly. That's probably why the mainstream gaming media is so much less reliable than it was a few years ago - companies have millions riding on their games, and a negative review can have a serious impact on sales, so they push pre-orders and blatantly pay off reviewers for glowing previews and high scores.

The markets for a game like Angry Birds and a game like Modern Warfare are very different. They may contain some of the same people, but it's like how some of the same people buy pasta and running shoes, but those products still have different markets. There's still big money to be made with AAA games. Really, though, the only thing that can save gaming is if development costs go down. If you look at, for example, Paradox Interactive, they're making complex, deep, excellent games for a very specific niche audience, and that seems to be working for them. The trade-off is a certain lack of polish and visual fidelity. But I'll take an actually creative game like Mount & Blade over some me-too bullshit like Homefront every damn time.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #37274 (permalink)
Balls McHoolihan
You mean coitus?

Old March 7th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #37275 (permalink)
Cronopio
Glorious Imperator