Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > General Metal Discussion > GMD Social Forum

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blind Guardian

The hockey thread

As the hockey season starts very soon I'll start a new thread, without NHL in the title, so everyone can discuss what they want regarding hockey; especially the upcoming Olympics.

Rookie of the year? I should be incredibly biased towards Victor Hedman, since he's from my team, but honestly I think he's overrated, and I've seen many many games he's played. I don't think he's ready for the NHL yet to be honest.
I cannot say much about Tavares since I've only seen him at the world juniors. Anyone seen much of him? This is interesting because I've heard from many people that Tavares is a bit overrated too, even though I thought he was good in the world juniors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ben_t

Tomorrow I'm going to see a pre-season game between Ottawa and Montreal. I can't wait for the regular season to start.

Rookie of the year...I don't really know. Tavares has some nice offensive skills but he's kinda slow and he will be playing for a very weak team. I'd be surprised if he wins it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Systematic Riffage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runk View Post
As the hockey season starts very soon I'll start a new thread, without NHL in the title, so everyone can discuss what they want regarding hockey; especially the upcoming Olympics.

Rookie of the year? I should be incredibly biased towards Victor Hedman, since he's from my team, but honestly I think he's overrated, and I've seen many many games he's played. I don't think he's ready for the NHL yet to be honest.
I cannot say much about Tavares since I've only seen him at the world juniors. Anyone seen much of him? This is interesting because I've heard from many people that Tavares is a bit overrated too, even though I thought he was good in the world juniors.
Hedman won't win rookie honors...if anyone it'll probably be Tavares or Matt Duschene.

Though it's too hard to tell really. I mean even if Yanic Weber of the habs cracks the line-up he could very well be in the run for it aswell...so we really don't know at all.

All I can say is I hope my Habs do well this year...I don't know what to expect but...they defanitly have the potential to be a top contender, if the chemistry gels.

Old September 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

Im so excited for hockey.
Go Blues!
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
optionthree
Better than the first two

I have to catch up, I didn't even know Theo Fleury came out of retirement until I saw the highlights today. The Avalanche have been garbage for about two seasons now and will suck this year, so I've been losing interest, but hopefully I'll catch some games on this year.
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Systematic Riffage

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionthree View Post
I have to catch up, I didn't even know Theo Fleury came out of retirement until I saw the highlights today. The Avalanche have been garbage for about two seasons now and will suck this year, so I've been losing interest, but hopefully I'll catch some games on this year.
You guys are in rebuilding mode...don't sweat it it's probably for the best right now...Matt Duschene will tear it up in a year or 2...not to mention the fact he's a Colorado Avalanche fan. So his heart will be there.

I know a guy who played up here...I went to school with him, Kelsey Tessier...watch out for that guy aswell.

Last edited by Systematic Riffage : September 18th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mathińs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigloch the Furious View Post
Im so excited for hockey.
Go Blues!
Dot. Bloooooooosssss!!!!
Originally Posted by TechnicalBarbarity View Post
... fuck Obama. Worst president ever .... the guy has basically turned this country upside down, but that's what we get for putting a goddamned extreme liberal in the white house. He fucking disgusts me.
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
-CyanideChrist-
Something in My Eye

Go Malm÷ Redhawks!!
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Blind Guardian

Shaky last season for the Redhawks huh, it must be annoying overall, going between AS and SEL like a yo-yo. On the other hand, it feels like Modo will be joining you in AS next season. We have really gone down the drain since 06/07 since Krizan started to suck ass.
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
-CyanideChrist-
Something in My Eye

Modo in AS? no waaay...Redhawks are sucking so bad right now it's killing me inside...unfortunately my NHL team LA Kings suck as well so hockey has just been a source of disappointment for me

Guess I'm gonna have to be an Avalanche fan again, i loved the old Forsberg years!
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Blind Guardian

It really sucks for Malm÷ though, with that new fancy stadium and all.
I hope Forsberg stays in Modo this season, and quits after that
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
muzmaze
pyramontyrsuidvan

Can't wait for the season to start!

The much rumored Bruins dealing Kessel talk has finally ended, thankfully, and did happen. Sent to Toronto for two no.1 picks and a no.2 pick. A good addition for Toronto but I think they may have overpayed ($) for Kessel. I was disappointed and hoping for an immediate impact player in return to the Bruins...but they could benefit from the picks in an equivelent type scorer ala Kessel in the upcomin drafts. Or will use the picks at this years trade deadline to aquire a key veteran player that may hopefully give them a run at the cup?

Upon my pages blood is stained, this way some honour will remain- Tyr
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

Kessel on a great team had a good year. Lets see how he does on a meh team
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
muzmaze
pyramontyrsuidvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigloch the Furious View Post
Kessel on a great team had a good year. Lets see how he does on a meh team
Exactly.
He is the same player he has been (wich is good) since he stepped into the league. His numbers only improved when the team around him got better...his overall game has not improved. Not to start the smear campaign now that he is gone...but supposably he is not a locker-room favorite? Yes he overcame a huge obstacle in beating cancer but he missed excessive time due to other injuries when other injured teammates were lacing them up.

One thing amongst others that makes me feel better in not getting an impact player in return is that a healthy Marco Sturm (7 early goals last year before getting hurt) should make up for some of scoring void. Plus Krejci and Bergeron who they really like, were retained. IMO, Krejci is already on his way to being one of the NHL's most complete player. Jeez, i gotta relax...the season has'nt even started yet!

Old September 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Systematic Riffage

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzmaze View Post
Exactly.
He is the same player he has been (wich is good) since he stepped into the league. His numbers only improved when the team around him got better...his overall game has not improved. Not to start the smear campaign now that he is gone...but supposably he is not a locker-room favorite? Yes he overcame a huge obstacle in beating cancer but he missed excessive time due to other injuries when other injured teammates were lacing them up.

One thing amongst others that makes me feel better in not getting an impact player in return is that a healthy Marco Sturm (7 early goals last year before getting hurt) should make up for some of scoring void. Plus Krejci and Bergeron who they really like, were retained. IMO, Krejci is already on his way to being one of the NHL's most complete player. Jeez, i gotta relax...the season has'nt even started yet!
Even with everyone the Leafs have signed...I still don't think it's enough to make the playoffs. They don't have second line scoring...sure Grabovski, Ponikarovsky...and that rook guy, had a great year last year. But I don't expect a repeat. Kessel is a great scorer...but he can't handle the load by himself.

They may finish 10th, or 9th...but that's all I see. The main concern is there goaltending though.

Old September 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Blind Guardian

Ok, so Peter Forsberg is officially still awesome, scored after 5 minutes in a game he wasn't even supposed to play until yesterday, and was very active and hard working in the defense the game through. Too bad he's only playing three games here before, most likely, going overseas.
Officially too, Modo now sucks ass, lost 2-4 in the home premiere.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Systematic Riffage

Holy Fuck

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
-CyanideChrist-
Something in My Eye

hahaha "GOMEZ IS NO FUCKING SUPERSTAR!"
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Blind Guardian

Dang Peter Forsberg is sooo good! 4 points in 3 games man, and on a shitty team too. The NHL clubs must be drooling over a one season contract right now, and it glads me that he's still so good. Would feel good to have another experienced oldie like Forsberg on the OC team next year.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

Taking off early on friday afternoon to watch the Blues vs the fagwings in sweden
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Systematic Riffage

My picks for Opening night:

Washington over Boston (4-2)
Montreal over Toronto (4-1)
Colorado over San Jose (3-2)
Vancouver over Calgary (2-0)

Yes I know Colorado does not look good on paper, but it's Sakic's retirement they have to win.

Last edited by Systematic Riffage : October 1st, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

suck it, Wings!
Go Blues!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Systematic Riffage

Dude...I see a pattern 2 games 2 OT wins for the Habs after being outplayed big time in both games...All Hail Carey Price...the guy is a tank.

Old October 4th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
optionthree
Better than the first two

Loving this 2-0 start to the season for the Avs. Anderson and Duchesne had a hell of a game today.
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
muzmaze
pyramontyrsuidvan

Good for the Avs...nice Sakic moment...love him, one of my fav alltime players!

The Habs being outplayed...I'd be concerned, cause Price is only gonna save ya for so long. He is as hot and cold as they come.

My B's bounced back nicely after the home opener loss...in throttling the Canes. The offense, showed its true potential (even minus Kessell) against a good defensive team. Lucic destroyed and bloodied another guy...has he ever or will he ever loose a fight!?! It was kinda a statement game but its also too early. Lets not forget the turmoil and how bad the Pens were doing last year..how'd that work out for ya?