Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > General Metal Discussion > GMD Social Forum

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #8001 (permalink)
damnromulans
Klingons do not faint

Don't be a tard, you're supposed to be of superior intellect, where did I say "do not make lifelong efforts at self-improvement and awareness?" Hey guess what, I almost guarantee everyone on this site feels the same way you do (about different things probably but it's all the same shit). My message is "chill out and enjoy life, you're in good company" - not "you should be as dumb as everyone else, fuck classics, go watch Jersey Shore!"
Drinking Coffee. I wake up and take a shower everyday and have to see my small circumcised penis........ It will never be any bigger. I hate having to take a piss. I'm going to start pissing my pants.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #8002 (permalink)
Vimana

Actually, do watch Jersey Shore. It's a really great way to feel smarter.

Just look at this:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #8003 (permalink)
SentinelSlain
Ceremony

In July I'm going to have to leave this place and go back to England, which isn't too terrible in itself, but next academic year I'll have to return to my university town, which is probably the worst place in England, if not Northern Europe. There is a certain type of person there, a group, who I cannot stand. Urgh. Yuck. They are disgusting retards.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8004 (permalink)
zabu of nΩd
narrator of non-existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
I really psyched myself out yesterday, but I am genuinely determined to make improvements in my habits and priorities. I think a major thing about me is I want to identify with older age groups than my own, that is, in academia, which is causing me to think so negatively about my own generation and the Sturm und Drang of youth in general. Also, I am a huge control freak, and when I sense I'm losing control of my own life, I have a doom-and-gloom crisis like I did yesterday.

Classics is my life, Grant. I live it every day and it forms so integral a part of not only my thought patterns, but also my identity as a human being historically, culturally, and even spiritually. I would sacrifice anything for it, and I have done so. And I want to sacrifice even more, crucify myself for it. The Greco-Roman pantheon, in a figurative sense, is what I worship. I cannot fathom being a scholar in this field without living the way the Greeks and Romans did, speaking their language, thinking their thoughts. The phil- in philology is no paltry prefix.

This sounds like fanatical rhetoric, but it is a genuine passion. Every person should have a passion to be this devoted to. It's how we derive purpose from life.
I'm all for someone having a passion in life, but I often wonder if in your case it comes at the cost of a broader perspective. I know you to be very intelligent and rational, and I assume you recognize that today's society (and not just the "lowest common denominator" of it) operates upon a great deal of modern wisdom that is absent from (or perhaps contradictory to) the wisdom of classical society.

That's not to say you should step back from classics as a calling in life, but there is a risk of becoming intellectually blinded by it. Perhaps by following the threads of modern knowledge that are being spun today, and by expanding your circle of smart friends to absorb valuable perspectives independent of your own, you can better avoid things like stagnation and "moral bankruptcy".

Quote:
Yes. Let's all degrade ourselves to a lowest common denominator lest we appear selfish and superior (note how I say "appear" because I know that there is no such thing as legitimate superiority). Face it. Great human achievements are accomplished because there is a societal infrastructure in place in which the many are oppressed for the benefit of the few. My privilege comes at the cost of many who do not have the opportunities I do. That's not an argument to throw it all away to be in solidarity with them. Yes, I don't have a lot of the problems most other people have. But I'm also not going to transmute those problems, human suffering, into a virtue.
This is probably not the place for political philosophy, but... really? I thought great achievements were made because there are brilliant/talented people out there who make useful contributions to our knowledge and technology, and capitalism generally promotes opportunities for those people. "Oppression" (or might I say selfish competition for resources) is the default state of nature, and it's reined in by institutions we put in place as a result of our intelligence and problem solving abilities. I don't see how you can call that state of nature something we should strive to uphold.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #8005 (permalink)
zabu of nΩd

Oh and just for the record: I don't find Laura's criticism very constructive here
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8006 (permalink)
-CyanideChrist-
Something in My Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimana View Post
Actually, do watch Jersey Shore. It's a really great way to feel smarter.

Just look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7e22ttwwfg
I also wear a shirt before a shirt.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #8007 (permalink)
Overwatch
Approaching Perspicacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabu of nΩd View Post
This is probably not the place for political philosophy, but... really? I thought great achievements were made because there are brilliant/talented people out there who make useful contributions to our knowledge and technology, and capitalism generally promotes opportunities for those people. "Oppression" (or might I say selfish competition for resources) is the default state of nature, and it's reined in by institutions we put in place as a result of our intelligence and problem solving abilities. I don't see how you can call that state of nature something we should strive to uphold.
That opinion you are answering is the general gist of the Republic (Plato in general), and to a lesser degree, echoes of Aristotle.
That Zeph is puppeting this position is not surprising given his narrow focus, but it is ignorance rooted in the early, fledgling philosophic endeavors.

It is the the exact same mindset that defends the worst sorts of abuse of both mankind and nature.
The enemy designed

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8008 (permalink)
Vimana

I just ordered a pizza and ended up getting an acid hookup from the driver.
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #8009 (permalink)
damnromulans
Klingons do not faint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabu of nΩd View Post
Oh and just for the record: I don't find Laura's criticism very constructive here
If you want constructive criticism from me you can pay me for it!
Drinking Coffee. I wake up and take a shower everyday and have to see my small circumcised penis........ It will never be any bigger. I hate having to take a piss. I'm going to start pissing my pants.
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #8010 (permalink)
SentinelSlain
Ceremony

Ho.
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #8011 (permalink)
zabu of nΩd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatch View Post
That opinion you are answering is the general gist of the Republic (Plato in general), and to a lesser degree, echoes of Aristotle.
That Zeph is puppeting this position is not surprising given his narrow focus, but it is ignorance rooted in the early, fledgling philosophic endeavors.

It is the the exact same mindset that defends the worst sorts of abuse of both mankind and nature.
Yeah I was going a bit easy on him tbh, haha
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #8012 (permalink)
The Ozzman
Commander Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Whoa hold on, since when is almost thirty old as fuck?
Since WAIF thinks anyone not in college is old as fuck
Come on dude, you've been here long enough. You should know how this stuff works. The darkest, assholest tasting beer = the best. Only true metal accepted. Only blackest ov the black coffee accepted. I've noticed pretty much everything on this website is distorted reality from every other human being I've actually came into contact with.
This line will remain until Corrosion of Conformity (with Pepper) releases another album (4/15/08; amended 12/7/10)
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #8013 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreInFlames View Post
By sex and drugs I mean activities with relatively immediate gratification. Also, aren't you old as fuck (i.e. almost 30)?
i'm 28, i've always been atracted to older women, i've had sex with so many women that i've lost count, and i've only had sex with someone under 30 once in my entire life
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8014 (permalink)
King Richard
Always against the wind

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #8015 (permalink)
sloughfegkillers
The Humble Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnromulans View Post
All you people need to calm down and take life as it comes, every human has an internal crisis of sorts around this age ("this age" being 21-30) but good news, most people survive and become real adults!
Here's a thing it maybe will get a hell of alot worse after 30,unless you get married and settle down,even then i'm sure the life of a married child raising domestic is'nt that great.Life just gets harder as you get older.I'm 35 and cannot wait untill I turn 40,financial security and none of the remnants of youth which persist throughout your 30's.

Tumultuous settling of scores
Those who are at one with the earth
Will tolerate no more of this bullshit!
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8016 (permalink)
Blind Guardian

It's neurotic to focus so much on age this and age that. It's a number; do whatever the heck you want at what age you want, as long as you feel that it makes you evolve as a person.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #8017 (permalink)
waif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ozzman View Post
Since WAIF thinks anyone not in college is old as fuck
I was kidding. But yes, you enter a different phase of life once you leave school.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #8018 (permalink)
V.V.V.V.V.
Houses Ov Mercury

Location: Encased Within A Mile-Deep Pit Of Feces (or, Lowell, MA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnromulans View Post
Don't be a tard, you're supposed to be of superior intellect, where did I say "do not make lifelong efforts at self-improvement and awareness?" Hey guess what, I almost guarantee everyone on this site feels the same way you do (about different things probably but it's all the same shit). My message is "chill out and enjoy life, you're in good company" - not "you should be as dumb as everyone else, fuck classics, go watch Jersey Shore!"
This is about the same way I feel about Jeremy's post. Chill the fuck out, dude.

Old April 13th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #8019 (permalink)
King Richard
Always against the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreInFlames View Post
I was kidding. But yes, you enter a different phase of life once you leave school.
Ya, it's called reality breh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.V.V.V.V. View Post
This is about the same way I feel about Jeremy's post. Chill the fuck out, dude.
Agreed.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #8020 (permalink)
Zephyrus
Tyrants and Slaves

Thanks, guys. Yes, I've calmed down but I don't take back anything I said. Won't respond to any comments dissing any of my bros in the School of Athens.

Went to bed sober for the first time in a couple months. Couldn't fall asleep till 3 AM. My mind is just too restless. It's a start.

Last edited by Zephyrus : April 13th, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #8021 (permalink)
damnromulans
Klingons do not faint

Sobriety is a step. Hope you come to terms with stuff, anxiety is weakness.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8022 (permalink)
Zephyrus
Tyrants and Slaves

Yeah, gotta detox all this THC out of my brain and maybe it will learn how to fall asleep on its own again.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8023 (permalink)
Einherjar86
Winter is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatch View Post

It's dismissive to think of them as fledging and sophomoric, don't make that mistake.

My Theory blog, Borrowing from the Future: http://borrowingfromthefuture.blogspot.com/

My Science Fiction blog, Roadside Picnic: http://roadsidepicnictalks.blogspot.com/
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #8024 (permalink)
Zephyrus
Tyrants and Slaves

But they didn't have iPhones and Wikipedia. Therefore they must have been dumbfucks.
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8025 (permalink)
King Richard
Always against the wind

Quote:
Yeah, gotta detox all this THC out of my brain and maybe it will learn how to fall asleep on its own again.
wat