Inside Out Music  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Labels and Vendors > Inside Out Music
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 7th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Snowmaker
GO BLUE!!

Aspect Ratio problem with Evergrey DVD?

Apparently the tag in the IFO file on the Evergrey A Night to Remember DVD (NTSC) is set to 4:3 instead of 16:9 (like stated on the back of the case). This causes the picture to stretch vertically on normal TVs, making everyone tall and skinny and a little difficult to watch.

Will this be corrected?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

Yup, same here. The DVD is a strange watch for us in the US. I can't wait for the reviews to start talking about this fact.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 8th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
RockGarden

I've got the same problem. It's distracting and definitely takes away from what could have been an outstanding DVD release.

Are there any plans to remedy the situation??
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Snowmaker
GO BLUE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Carvin
As stated above it's something they didn't set correctly in the encoding apparently. If you have a standard 4:3 tv you would set up in your dvd player menu that you have a 4:3 tv, not 16x9. So you should have black bars across top & bottom so you see the entire 16x9 (1.78:1) ratio without any geometric distortion (squeezed).

If you have a 16x9 (1.78:1) widescreen tv you would set your dvd player to 16x9. So, if you set the widescreen tv to 4:3 (black bars at the sides) and it's a anamorphic dvd the picture would be squeezed vertically.....you would select "full" mode and it unsqueezes the picture to fill the 1.78:1 screen. I won't even go into 2.35:1 ratio but, you'll still have black bars top and bottom even on a widescreen tv.

All this gets very difficult to discuss because most people don't understand. I wish there was one ratio tv and programing already! I don't know how many times I see people with widescreen tvs and dvd players that have them set up wrong. I'm a home theater enthusiast for over ten years now and I know the differences between full frame, pan and scan, letterbox, anamorphic etc., etc. Trust me....the DVD is wrong! It should be fixed.....we deserve better and so does Evergrey!
Just wanted to add this here.
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

We need to start bombarding IO with phone calls and emails. Record companies don't care, so long as people are buying, but then they bitch when people download substandard products.

I say give them some time, then if they don't respond, leak the dvd. Sure, EG won't be too happy, but they most likely don't make very much money off the sales, and this way you can ensure that IO will get the message. I know from my dealings with Rhino and SPV for defects that this is what needs to be done. I bought Archetype's Dawning and all of the cds are defective, so I complained to the band, and surprisingly, I also got a reply from the record company, but it was a stroking message that "we'll get in touch with you...blah blah blah". Meanwhile, I have confirmation that ALL cds are defective, yet the record store that I bought it from, along with the replacement they got for me can't return the album because record companies don't accept defects, nor do they offer credits. Good way to support the base that loyally keeps you in business.

So to repeat, give IO some time, then leak the DVD onto file sharing clients and put in the details of the defect on reviews like on Amazon.
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
MetalAges
Ultimate Metal admin

Nice solution sknight

I talked with Jim at InsideOut today and they are aware of the problem and will issue a statement on what will be done to remedy it next week.

On a side note, any one familiar with InsideOut would know I have yet to see them release a defect CD where they didn't make good on it by replacement discs, etc.

I'll post the statement here next week.

Old June 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Snowmaker
GO BLUE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAges
Nice solution sknight

Again, thank you!
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

Thanks Deron.

My feelings about the record industry have much to do with their treatment of the vendors and anyone else who complain about defects. A record company remedying defects is not above and beyond their call, but rare. It also must be noted that someone made the executive decision to let the product through in this form, almost certainly to cut costs.
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
peza
Reported Type: INTP

Quality is very important, and most of all, when you buy a product it should be safe to assume it's error free. I hope InsideOut takes it responsability to fix the issue for the NTSC realese asap. Evergrey is worth it.
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
MetalAges
Ultimate Metal admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight
Thanks Deron.

My feelings about the record industry have much to do with their treatment of the vendors and anyone else who complain about defects. A record company remedying defects is not above and beyond their call, but rare. It also must be noted that someone made the executive decision to let the product through in this form, almost certainly to cut costs.
I am a vendor (well was I am closing) and know that come labels will not give the time of day, but also know that there are some very cool labels out there as well. It's like with anything, you have some good guys and some bad guys. Definitely can't blanket everyone under the same umbrella.

On the mistake, you have to remember that a lot of the InsideOut stuff is pressed in Germany and sent over here. It more than likely was a very honest mistake during the PAL > NTSC conversion as some have pointed out.

Old June 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
MetalAges
Ultimate Metal admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peza
Quality is very important, and most of all, when you buy a product it should be safe to assume it's error free. I hope InsideOut takes it responsability to fix the issue for the NTSC realese asap. Evergrey is worth it.
I have no doubt they will, its just a matter of a time frame and what the process will be.

Old June 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

No word yet on the solution?
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

Quote:
Nice solution sknight

I talked with Jim at InsideOut today and they are aware of the problem and will issue a statement on what will be done to remedy it next week.

On a side note, any one familiar with InsideOut would know I have yet to see them release a defect CD where they didn't make good on it by replacement discs, etc.

Well, it's about a month now with no word, as well as no direct word from I/O. I emailed them and got no response, either. So I would be inclined to think that this is going to be forgotten, as most all record companies would do in this position.

The oddity is that I/O did not directly admit to the flaw on their own forum.
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
RockGarden

Quote:
Well, it's about a month now with no word, as well as no direct word from I/O. I emailed them and got no response, either. So I would be inclined to think that this is going to be forgotten, as most all record companies would do in this position.

This is sad. I had high hopes that they would care enough about their consumers that it wouldn't be an issue to fix an obviously flawed product. I will most certainly remember this when I am trying to decide whether or not to buy anything else from them. If I have to pay extra to get the import and that's the only way I can be assured of high quality product then in my opinion it's worth it! You would think company reputation vice the almightly dollar would win out......

I hope they acknowledge their error and make amends soon....
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

All it would take is a simple update, even if the return date is down the road. That's the key to not pissing the consumers off, especially when pretty much every record company out there is grimy. And not directly admitting to the problem here, as well as return of direct emails is not cool.
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
RockGarden

Quote:
All it would take is a simple update, even if the return date is down the road. That's the key to not pissing the consumers off, especially when pretty much every record company out there is grimy. And not directly admitting to the problem here, as well as return of direct emails is not cool.
Agreed, they really should take care of the people who are putting the money in their pockets. They're probably hoping we'll just forget about it and the problem will eventually go away.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
MetalAges
Ultimate Metal admin

Still waiting to hear. When you have thousands of these things out there it takes some extra time to figure out what the final solution to the issue is going to be.

InsideOut USA is waiting for a statement from the German office on how it will be handled. Yes, its taking longerthan anticipated, but it will be resolved guys.

Last edited by MetalAges : July 7th, 2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
MetalAges
Ultimate Metal admin

Quote:

Hello, hello, is this thing on? I am the webmaster for InsideOut USA and talked with the guys directly. I posted already that its been acknowledged from the label, read post above for update.

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
RockGarden

Quote:
Still waiting to hear. When you have thousands of these things out there it takes some extra time to figure out what the final solution to the issue is going to be.

InsideOut USA is waiting for a statement from the German office on how it will be handled. Yes, its taking longerthan anticipated, but it will be resolved guys.
I guess we're just kind of paranoid since there hasn't been any "official" statement released acknowledging the problem. I understand that there are logistic issues that need to be resolved but it's nice to know that we aren't forgotten about. Thanks for the update.

Last edited by MetalAges : July 7th, 2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Snowmaker
GO BLUE!!

LOL!

Why not just do what every other DVD distributer does with an issue like this? Determine how many units sold, make a fraction of that number in replacement disks, we email in with our shipping address if we want a replacement, you sent a postage-paid envelope for us to send our defective disk in, we send it, and a few weeks later we get the replacement. I've done this with a few different movie DVDs.

When the replacements run out and people are still requesting them, run another batch.

Or just do what Rhino did with the Dream Theater Budokan ones and just send a replacement disk to anyone and their brother who ask for one, whether they originally bought it or not. I even accidentally got two replacements because I had emailed in asking about the status of my first replacement.
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

Quote:
Hello, hello, is this thing on? I am the webmaster for InsideOut USA and talked with the guys directly. I posted already that its been acknowledged from the label, read post above for update.
The sentiment from the buying public is the fault of none other than the industry itself. They ruined the relationship with the consumers, ripped us off for years at the supply and retail level, along with the artists, then expect the consumers to trust them.

So understand the end of the consumers. There is no message on the site acknowledging the defect. There has not been a direct message from Jim, saying "Be patient". In fact, we were even told that more news would come up in a week, and that was early June.

The lack of trust is founded because the companies as a whole made it so. The point is it doesn't take much to piss off a consumer, yet it takes just as little energy to make them happy.

Last edited by sknight : July 9th, 2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
RockGarden

For those who may not have seen it, there is an ongoing discussion happening in the Evergrey group.
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockGarden
For those who may not have seen it, there is an ongoing discussion happening in the Evergrey group.
Still no word or update.
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
RockGarden

Quote:
Still no word or update.
You know, Ra's new CD "Duality had a glitch on one of the tracks..."Fallen Angel". Universal/Republic then released a remastered version without the glitch. All you had to do was to return the CD to the store you bought it from and they'd replace it with the remastered version.....if they had one in stock.

Something as simple as that would be nice!!!!!
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
sknight
Are You Morbid?

The local record store from where I bought my copy has pulled their copies and returned them to their distributor. They're not going to stock the DVD at all. They too have not gotten responses to their emails, so the record store association in my area knows about the problem now will not stock the DVD, risking return and no reimbursement.