The Iron Maidens  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > The Iron Maidens
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Maiden Afganistan
Linda's favorite Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSLR View Post
As promised, just go to the Cool pic thread also feel free to say hi on our forum, etc.

s
WOW! What a great forum and tread over there!! There are some great posts and pix!! America's view on England and the World and the Vulture pic had me ROLLING!!! GREAT stuff!! I will explore the site and Band more when I get on a better computer for sure! Thanks for turning me on to this band and forum!!
I'm curious to hear what others think on this forum, now! Jenna and Jeremy are my 2 favorite music critics and would love to hear from them!
I'm also curious about the Band's name. I'm not very well read and all, but I remember the term Lycans from one of my favorite movies. Hot Vampire girls in leather that kick ass rule!! lol! Not sure if it has anything to do with the band's name, though. Is this your band Stephen SLR, BTW?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Afganistan View Post
I'm also curious about the Band's name
The name is taken from the novel by Tanith Lee - "Lycanthia or The Children of the Wolves".

Quote:
that Vulture pic had me ROLLING!!!
That photo showing a starving Sudanese child being stalked by a vulture won Kevin Carter the 1994 Pulitzer Prize for feature photography.

Quote:
Is this your band Stephen SLR, BTW?
Thanks for the compliments there MA, yes, I'm one of the guitarists from Lycanthia. I was previously in Dungeon a band a few of you here would be familiar with.

I would also love to hear Jenna and Jeremy's views on us, you may want to start a new thread here as it is off topic to this thread, I won't do it as it would possibly be seen as spam.

s

Last edited by StephenSLR : August 14th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Metallicat180
Rockstar-In-Training

What have I to listen to???

You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel
Time was never on my side, so on I wait my whole lifetime
I'm outlaw of torn and I'm torn...

Old August 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicat180 View Post
What have I to listen to???
Hi, are you Jenna or Jeremy?

Samples here:

Lycanthia - Discography, mp3 samples & lyrics

If you will do a review a new thread on Lycanthia would be more fitting - please?

s
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Metallicat180
Rockstar-In-Training

Quote:
Hi, are you Jenna or Jeremy?

Samples here:

Lycanthia - Discography, mp3 samples & lyrics

If you will do a review a new thread on Lycanthia would be more fitting - please?

s
I'll be the former - Jeremy is A7.

Ok doke, I shall have a listen tomorrow and write a little review.

Old August 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Interesting. I'll check out Lycanthia later this week.
"Living to win means you pursue your goals, challenges and dreams without regard for anyone else's opinions, failures or the obstacles in your way. I may not always succeed, but as long as I fail on my own terms...I've won." - Paul Stanley

Crabby Patty (I'm So Unclear!) | Just Like Priest | Shades of Crimson | Emp˙re | Electric Funeral | Dia | Phantom Blue
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7 View Post
Interesting. I'll check out Lycanthia later this week.
Did any of you guys check out the samples/be prepared to write a review?

s
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Quote:
Did any of you guys check out the samples/be prepared to write a review?

s
I've just downloaded samples of Within the Walls and I'll review them tomorrow night.
"Living to win means you pursue your goals, challenges and dreams without regard for anyone else's opinions, failures or the obstacles in your way. I may not always succeed, but as long as I fail on my own terms...I've won." - Paul Stanley

Crabby Patty (I'm So Unclear!) | Just Like Priest | Shades of Crimson | Emp˙re | Electric Funeral | Dia | Phantom Blue
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
I've just downloaded samples of Within the Walls and I'll review them tomorrow night.
Hows that going?

s
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Quote:
Hows that going?

s
I haven't forgotten about you. It's just that I've been swamped by work and other errands. Will do a review of your band by the end of the week.

Old September 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

It was about 4:00 p.m. when I exited the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle. It didn't take long for me to realize that the Showbox SoDo was just a walk away from Safeco Field and Qwest Center. I managed to find a convenient parking spot across the street from the venue.

After waiting a couple of hours outside and another two hours in the bar, I ran to the front. At about 9:00 p.m., Sonata Arctica opened the show.

They gave a stellar performance. After their act, and another 30 or so minutes of fixing up the stage, the lights went out, and the stage was filled with blue lights. Nightwish made their presence known.

Their performance was nothing short of awesome, as they belted out songs from Dark Passion Play, as well as some of their older stuff such as "The Siren," "Dark Chest of Wonders" and "Wish I Had an Angel." As you can see on the pics, Anette dyed her hair back to blond, and she now sports a tattoo on her left forearm.

After the show, I went to the back of the club to meet the band. Unfortunately, Anette disappeared after the show. It was great to know that the guys are really cool in person, Especially Tuomas and Marco.

Hopefully, I'll get to see these guys again.

Last edited by A7 : February 18th, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Metallicat180
Rockstar-In-Training

Cool story Jeremy!

Old September 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
Melisan

WTF Annete... the tattoo, cheap dye job?

They aren't too concerned with their appearance, either. Look at the band on the 'End of an Era' DVD. They are all decked out in stage clothes. Here it looks like they just walked off the street.
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisan View Post
They aren't too concerned with their appearance, either. Look at the band on the 'End of an Era' DVD. They are all decked out in stage clothes. Here it looks like they just walked off the street.
I think they dressed up on that DVD just to blend with Tarja, and I bet they weren't comfortable with that at all. And I don't mind them performing in street clothes - as long as they enjoy performing on stage. Sure beats what Marco wore last Halloween.

(Click at your own risk!)

Last edited by A7 : September 12th, 2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Melisan

Haha funny. He attempted to pull a Flea. XD
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Just like every band, Nightwish had to face some tough times this month. On Nov, 10, during their show in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, Anette walked out of the stage towards the end of "The Poet and the Pendulum." The band finished the song with Marco on vocals before doing two cover songs and ending the show. Anette's official statement says that the excessive smoke on stage had an adverse effect on her vocal chords. Marco, on the other hand, explained that Anette is going through some "intense shit," whatever that means.

Last edited by A7 : June 11th, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #42 (permalink)
nlukes

Wheeeeee....The Nightwish thread is still going !!!
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
Melisan

Quote:
Marco, on the other hand, explained that Anette is going through some "intense shit," whatever that means.
It means she has to endure the same shit Blayze, Tim Owens and John Corabi had to go through: fans of the original singer won't accept the replacement. Despite Tuomas's explainations of why Tarja had to go (and I agree with him), fans just won't accept her.
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Quote:
It means she has to endure the same shit Blaze, Tim Owens and John Corabi had to go through: fans of the original singer won't accept the replacement. Despite Tuomas's explanations of why Tarja had to go (and I agree with him), fans just won't accept her.
Yeah, I read that the fans in Belo Horizonte were pretty vicious, but for crying out loud - it's been over a year. Regardless of which, it was only a temporary setback, as the band finished the rest of their South American tour without a hitch. More info can be found on the unofficial Nightwish forum (which also happens to be our sister forum here at Ultimate Metal):

Anette's Statement Regarding BH Show

Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
nlukes

Strange, but Nightwish is one of the few bands that would still be excellent without a singer because of the symphonic orchestration. I love the band no matter who is singing, Tarja or Anette. Cool that it sounds like Anette wants to continue and hopefully won't be quitting the band or anything.

Last edited by nlukes : December 2nd, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Exclamation

Nightwish is set to release a new live album + DVD on March 13.

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #47 (permalink)
Melisan

I've read that the reason for Anette's meltdown was actually because of personal problems. Specifically, she's getting a divorce (apparently, joining Nightwish was the end of her marriage) and she has a young son (his name is tattooed on her forearm).

Well, apparently she may lose custody of the kid due to her excessive touring. Nightwish has toured insanely for almost 2 years now and won't be done until summer. Needless to say, this would cause anyone to melt down. On top of that you got an audience of pricks yelling for the old singer.

Yeah, that would cause someone to melt down.
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #48 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Quote:
I've read that the reason for Anette's meltdown was actually because of personal problems. Specifically, she's getting a divorce (apparently, joining Nightwish was the end of her marriage) and she has a young son (his name is tattooed on her forearm).

Well, apparently she may lose custody of the kid due to her excessive touring. Nightwish has toured insanely for almost 2 years now and won't be done until summer. Needless to say, this would cause anyone to melt down. On top of that you got an audience of pricks yelling for the old singer.

Yeah, that would cause someone to melt down.
I read about the divorce months ago, but I never thought the situation was that bad. I only wish for something good to come out of all this.

Old April 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #49 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

My mom just came back from Hong Kong and she got me the new Nightwish CD/DVD Made in Hong Kong (and in Various Other Places). The live CD sounds pretty good. Not as crisp as End of an Era and it's pretty short for a live album (as it only covers the Dark Passion Play songs), but it's still awesome. Not much can be said about the bonus tracks, as many of us have already heard them, but the demo version of "Cadence of Her Last Breath" is a surprise. Marco should sing this live one of these days.

As for the DVD, the documentary is rather short. The film was intentionally made to look grainy. You get mostly commentary from Tuomas (in Finnish with English subtitles) and Anette (in English with Finnish subtitles), while the rest of the band spends most of the film playing Uno and chugging Jägers. This documentary is very recent, too, as YouTube clips of Anette walking out of the Belo Horizonte show appear before she explains what happened (it was an annoying smoke machine that interfered with her breathing). Throughout the documentary, you get to know how the band interacts with each other through a grueling 40-country world tour.

Also included in the DVD are the three music videos for Dark Passion Play.

Overall, it's a great addition for any Nightwish fan. Non-fans will want to pick up the other albums first, though.

Old April 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Danny rctv
Girl Band Geek!

I'm just now discovering Nightwisha nd kicking myself for not dicoveringthem years gao.I think they're FANTASTIC! Tarja is playing a solo show here in SF next week.We're probably going to interview her.I just hope I don't have to put up with a bunch of diva bullshit!