The Iron Maidens  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > The Iron Maidens
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #51 (permalink)
Courtsmom

I must say this time of the year is my absolute favorite (especially for decorating). I have had a haunted house for the last 25 years on Halloween and love every minute of it !! So in that respect, I must say that the original Halloween is my favorite flick. The intensity and the anxiety is phenominal. The Rob Zombie version isn't bad either. Courtney's step-father is 6 foot 8, and weighs about 350 lbs, and makes one hell of a Michael Meyers (in authentic garb) chasing kids. Our house has become a tradition in our town and we see about 400 to 500 kids on Halloween!!!! Ooooo the candy bill - hahahahahahaha
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #52 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Thumbs up

Here's one for the Star Wars fans.

"Living to win means you pursue your goals, challenges and dreams without regard for anyone else's opinions, failures or the obstacles in your way. I may not always succeed, but as long as I fail on my own terms...I've won." - Paul Stanley

Crabby Patty (I'm So Unclear!) | Just Like Priest | Shades of Crimson | Emp˙re | Electric Funeral | Dia | Phantom Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Thumbs down

Time for another quick movie review:

Paranormal Activity
Director Oren Peli is probably one of the biggest scam artists in film history, for he came up with this $15,000 Blair Witch Project/Poltergeist/The Exorcist ripoff that's neither scary nor interesting. And I'm not kidding about the budget, as it uses only one camera and is filmed inside a house. The film is riddled with numerous plot loopholes, an incoherent storyline, two actors just bitching at each other in front of a camera, and an ending that doesn't make sense. (And it doesn't matter whether you saw the online or theatrical version.) Yet despite how horrible this movie came out, it has already raked in $84 million at the box office - which shows how gullible the public can be. Go watch The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day instead.
Rating:

"Living to win means you pursue your goals, challenges and dreams without regard for anyone else's opinions, failures or the obstacles in your way. I may not always succeed, but as long as I fail on my own terms...I've won." - Paul Stanley

Crabby Patty (I'm So Unclear!) | Just Like Priest | Shades of Crimson | Emp˙re | Electric Funeral | Dia | Phantom Blue
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #54 (permalink)
Big Momma Nav
Celebrity Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7 View Post

Paranormal Activity
Director Oren Peli is probably one of the biggest scam artists in film history, for he came up with this $15,000 Blair Witch Project/Poltergeist/The Exorcist ripoff that's neither scary nor interesting. And I'm not kidding about the budget, as it uses only one camera and is filmed inside a house. The film is riddled with numerous plot loopholes, an incoherent storyline, two actors just bitching at each other in front of a camera, and an ending that doesn't make sense. (And it doesn't matter whether you saw the online or theatrical version.) Yet despite how horrible this movie came out, it has already raked in $84 million at the box office - which shows how gullible the public can be. Go watch The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day instead.
Rating:

Paranormal Activity
It's got a 7.2 on IMDB; a lot of people liked it. Blair Witch type movies I guess are back in style.

n
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:42 AM   #55 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Momma Nav View Post
It's got a 7.2 on IMDB; a lot of people liked it. Blair Witch type movies I guess are back in style.

n
Yeah, and we have Cloverfield to thank for that.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM   #56 (permalink)
metalhead_85
Headbanger

Quote:

Paranormal Activity
Rating:
Can't agree. Loved the movie. Saw it with my friends and all of us loved it.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead_85 View Post
Can't agree. Loved the movie. Saw it with my friends and all of us loved it.
Well, I saw the original cut (which someone managed to download), and the ending was completely anticlimactic. I even turned off all the lights and cranked the surround system to full blast, but it was nowhere remotely scary.

I wonder what would happen if the Maidens saw this movie, though.

I guess I'm just really not into horror films, except for Ringu (the original Japanese version of The Ring) or Ju-On (the original Japanese version of The Grudge).

Old November 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #58 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Smile

And now for another quick movie review:

Astro Boy
I usually stay away from western adaptations of anime and manga, especially after Dragonball Evolution flopped miserably this year. However, I found this 3D update of Osamu Tezuka's classic manga very watchable. Sure, there are too many characters and the storyline could've been more fleshed out, but still, the visuals are amazing as well as the sound effects. The movie has an all-star voice cast, featuring Nicolas Cage, Nathan Lane, Donald Sutherland, Bill Nighy (Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean series), Eugene Levy (Jim's dad in the American Pie series), Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Charlize Theron and Samuel L. Jackson; however, Cage's performance is somewhat lackluster and having Samuel L. Jackson seems like an afterthought. The ending is not anticlimactic, but really unnecessary, as it's a cliffhanger unrelated to the storyline and just an excuse to have fans anticipate a sequel (which probably won't happen, as this film has failed to make money so far). Still, if you're into 3D animation, check out Astro Boy.
Rating:

Old November 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #59 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Looks like today won't be a good day to go to the theaters, as they'll be overrun by screaming teenage girls. Yes, New Moon - the sequel to Twilight, premieres today.

Old December 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #60 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Thumbs up

Time for this week's quick movie review:

Planet 51
Yesterday, I checked out this CG-animated film starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (now Linda would really want to go see it! ), Jessica Biel, Gary Oldman and John Cleese. It's an homage to the sci-fi alien invasion genre - only with a twist: a human astronaut lands on an alien planet inhabited by green people living in the '50s. The film has its moments like the numerous references to Alien, E.T., Wall-E and other popular sci-fi flicks, but there are also moments when the film feels forced and too derivative of everything else. Otherwise, Planet 51 is a pretty entertaining film for the whole family to watch this month. Sure beats that inane New Moon and that dragging disaster 2012.
Rating:

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #61 (permalink)
Big Momma Nav
Celebrity Chef

TEAM JACOB!!

n
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #62 (permalink)
Timewarrior2001

Quote:

Paranormal Activity
Rating:

Paranormal Activity
I can agree with this review 100%
Amongst my .......many....talents I am a paranormal investigator...albeit on the sceptical, side of things.
The movie just isnt scary, thrilling or remotely interesting. The interaction between characters is bland and its generally a wast of time. It poor beyond poor, its scraping the bottom of an empty barrel, its beer without alcohol.
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches,we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #63 (permalink)
Acujer

I find it very disturbing that 14 year old girls resonate with that girl from Twilight. She is a powerless airhead that is willing to do anything to be with the vampire guy including losing her life. I find it complete female disempowerment. The problem I have with it is how teenage girls fantasize of being her.

Have you seen Adventureland? That girl from Twilight plays a totally opposite type of character and is amazing in it!
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #64 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acujer View Post
I find it very disturbing that 14 year old girls resonate with that girl from Twilight. She is a powerless airhead that is willing to do anything to be with the vampire guy including losing her life. I find it complete female disempowerment. The problem I have with it is how teenage girls fantasize of being her.
The answer is simple: These teenage girls want to relate themselves with that chick because of that one guy in the film (Robert Pattinson is his name, I think). They think they should look and act like her so they can win a date with that guy. Other than that, Twilight is just an overhyped product written by someone who, according to Stephen King, "can't write worth a darn."

Old December 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #65 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Of all the movies you've seen this year, what were the best and worst?

Here's my list:

Best Movies I've Seen in 2009
1. Avatar
2. Star Trek
3. Gran Torino
4. Public Enemies
5. Watchmen

Worst Movies I've Seen in 2009
1. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
3. Paranormal Activity
4. Sex Drive
5. The International

Movies I Regret Missing in 2009
1. Iron Maiden: Flight 666*
2. District 9
3. The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day*
4. Black Dynamite*
5. Zombieland*

(*These movies weren't available where I'm at. Not even on bootleg.)

Movies I'm Glad I Skipped in 2009
1. The Twilight Saga: New Moon
2. Dragonball: Evolution
3. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
4. Terminator Salvation
5. Angels & Demons

Last edited by A7 : December 30th, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #66 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Thumbs down

"And the moral of this story is this is not what to do if a bird shits on you." - Bruce Dickinson

Chemical Wedding (a.k.a. Crowley)
Whoever said this was a good movie was either in complete denial or must have been on some bad drugs, because Chemical Wedding is simply one of the worst attempts at horror cinema ever. The acting is atrocious, the dialogue is pathetic, the special effects are laughable and the soundtrack is extremely random. Bruce Dickinson may be an excellent singer and songwriter, but just like Steve Harris on directing Iron Maiden videos, writing movie scripts is not for him. Even die-hard Iron Maiden fans should avoid this turkey.
Rating:

Old December 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #67 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Cool

More than 10 years after Titanic, James Cameron returns to the director's chair. For the past year or so, there was a ton of hype surrounding this film, and after watching it earlier tonight, now I know why.

This movie is 100% pure, unadulterated eye candy in terms of visual effects. Sure, CG has been around for a while, but to make computer-generated characters close to live-action is one hell of an achievement. Even if you're not watching it on IMAX, you find yourself immersed into the breathtaking landscapes of the planet Pandora and the adventures of a crippled Marine who has his mind transferred into a synthetic humanoid body that resembles the planet's inhabitants. Aside from the special effects, the soundtrack enhances that "being there" feeling.

Perhaps the film's only weakness is its storyline, as it's basically Dances with Wolves in space, mixed with The Last Samurai and Starship Troopers. Nevertheless, Avatar is one of the best visual films ever made.

Rating:

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #68 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Anyone here remember an old animated series called Star Blazers? Well, later this year, a live-action remake of that show will be released in Japan. But will it be as good as the recent Star Trek film (after all, Space Battleship Yamato has always been known as Japan's answer to Star Trek)?

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM   #69 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Thumbs up

The Promotion
It's such a shame that this film wasn't widely marketed when it was released on June 2008, as it is one of the smartest comedies ever made. Top-notch performances by Seann William Scott (Stifler in the American Pie series) and John C. Reilly (Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story) as two assistant managers struggling to earn the position to run an upcoming grocery store. There are even cameo appearances by Masi Oka (Hiro in Heroes) and Chris Gardner (author of The Pursuit of Happyness). Definitely worth checking out for a good laugh.
Rating:

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #70 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Exclamation

Once again, James Cameron is laughing his way to the bank, as Avatar continues to break box-office records worldwide. In only 17 days since its release, the film earned a total of over $1 billion - the fastest film to ever do so. Currently, it's only about $700,000,000 shy of dethroning Titanic as the highest-grossing film of all-time.

Here are the numbers so far:

Domestic: $374,445,852 (33.1%) + Foreign: $757,306,612 (66.9%) = Worldwide: $1,131,752,464

Avatar - Box Office Mojo numbers

I think three times for me is enough for this film. Now I'm off to see Sherlock Holmes...

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #71 (permalink)
metalhead_85
Headbanger

I hardly even watch movies .. but I really had to make a 'best of 2009' list it would be only from the movies I've seen :P

1. Flight 666
2. Gran Torino
3. Invictus
4. District 9
5. State Of Play
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #72 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Thumbs down

Case 39
There's a good reason why this movie hasn't been released in the U.S. yet: Renée Zellweger is embarrassed by its absolute lameness. Basically, it's your typical possessed child horror film that steals elements from The Omen and every other similar horror film out there. This movie is nowhere remotely scary and it's just downright boring. It's already bombed badly in Australia, New Zealand and here in the Philippines. American movie goers are lucky to not have seen this rubbish. For now.
Rating:

Old February 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #73 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

I only got two words for this fake trailer: YEAH RIGHT!

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Unhappy

Actor Andrew Koenig was found dead today, apparently due to depression and suicide. He was the son of Walter Koenig (Checkov in the original Star Trek series). Back in the 1980s, he was known as Boner in the sitcom Growing Pains. In recent years, his role as the Joker in the fan film Batman: Dead End received unanimous praise from comic book fans and those who saw the film.

R.I.P. Andrew Koenig.

Old March 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #75 (permalink)
A7
Live to Win

Unhappy

Yet another actor has died today. Corey Haim, who starred in the 1987 cult hit The Lost Boys and was best known for starring alongside Corey Feldman (hence the term "The Two Coreys") in numerous films, was pronounced dead after being taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, CA. His death is suspected to be accidental due to a drug overdose. He was 38.

R.I.P. Corey Haim