Jag Panzer  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Jag Panzer
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zac
Videodrome

Greatest Voice In Metal?

Defintley.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Orfanos

I agree.

But don't forget

John Arch
Harry Conklin (and not because we are in JP forum)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nightrunner

Charles Rytkönen (Morgana Lefay)
Robert Lowe (Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass)
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
RedinTheSky

King fukin Diamond !

or Fabio Lione (Rhapsody)
or Russel Allen (Symphony X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no country for old wainds View Post
that wasn't true the first time someone said it and it isn't true now that tons of people have hopped on the bandwagon either. it's ridiculous.
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
MetalSteph

Rob Halford...period. The rest are followers.
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zac
Videodrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalSteph View Post
Rob Halford...period. The rest are followers.
Steph: LEAVE THE HALL!

Stained Class is one of my all time favorite records, but I'm still taking Adams over Halford. Rob in his glory days was well....glorious, but whether or you not you listen to Manowar, Adams wins for sheer tonality, range, and strength.

Oh, and Rob nowadays Rob blows. (No pun intended) I had to throw away my Rising In The East dvd because of him. It's sad how much balls (again no pun) he sucked on that dvd. Just watch Painkiller.

I love Rob, but he's a bit to one sided for me. Even on the Halford releases. His "ballad" vocals are way too fucking nasally, and highly doubt Rob could sing Puccini's Nessun Dorma either.
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shadow Thief

I Consider Geoff Tate/Queensryche EP to be the best vocal performance I've ever heard on any record, but he's anything but metal now.

Last edited by Shadow Thief : January 25th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Marco - Battleroar
U.S. Metal Gentleman

Come on guys!
Are you kidding?
The best active heavy metal singer is Harry! I've seen Adams, Dio and Halford but there is really no match with the Tyrant, he's far superior in technique and versatility. You take Eric Adams out of Manowar, he's like a fish out of his bowl, he can't really sing anything different. He's a unique voice, but very, very limited. With Dio it's not just a matter of technique, he was gifted from the beginning, he's got everything - but again, he's not nearly as versatile as Harry Conklin is. Besides Jag Panzer, just listen to what he does on the two Titan Force albums, or on the Satan's Host songs - he's just like ten different singers in one! Still he is immediately recognizable. Not to mention his ability as a stage performer! Have you ever observed all the different "moves" and gestures he uses on certain songs? I watch the videos and the bootlegs just to learn from what he's doing, he's got a set of movements that fit specific parts of many songs, and are designed specifically to fit certain words or certain concepts. Have you ever heard how he sings the word "Black"? It's like listening to W.A.Mozart playing piano! Harry Conklin is the Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart of the heavy metal vocals!
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
MetalSteph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post
Steph: LEAVE THE HALL!

Stained Class is one of my all time favorite records, but I'm still taking Adams over Halford. Rob in his glory days was well....glorious, but whether or you not you listen to Manowar, Adams wins for sheer tonality, range, and strength.

Oh, and Rob nowadays Rob blows. (No pun intended) I had to throw away my Rising In The East dvd because of him. It's sad how much balls (again no pun) he sucked on that dvd. Just watch Painkiller.

I love Rob, but he's a bit to one sided for me. Even on the Halford releases. His "ballad" vocals are way too fucking nasally, and highly doubt Rob could sing Puccini's Nessun Dorma either.

Don't make me beat you up. Manowar suck. They're a joke. It's funny goofy metal. Like Gwar, but not even that cool.
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zac
Videodrome

Manowar Manowar living on the road
When we're in town speakers explode
We don't attract wimps cause we're too loud
Just true metal people that's Manowars crowd

They wanna keep us down
But they can't last
When we get up
We're gonna kick your ass
Gonna keep on burning
We always will
Other bands play - Manowar kill
Other bands play - Manowar kill

We like it hard, we like it fast
We got the biggest amps, man they blast
True metal people wanna rock not pose
Wearin' jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

We're the kings of metal comin' to town
When we light up have the roof nailed down
Don't try to tell us that we're too loud
Cause there ain't no way that we'll ever turn down
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
MetalSteph

Zac zac zac......Halford is downright butch compaired to these guys!!! Wake up and realize there is only one Metal God. Manowar are queens.

Old January 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Golden_Goose

I have to say that I'm far from a Manowar fan but Adams is a very good singer. I wouldn't compare him at all to Rob Halford because in his prime, NOBODY could sing like he does PERIOD.

I'm a huge Maiden fan so maybe I'm a bit biased but Bruce Dickinson has a great voice too and if you want to talk about a voice that isn't powerful yet for his age is remarkable? you need look no further then DIO

I agree that Manowar's lyrics are cheesey and while they only dressed by baffoons for a few shorts years, that stigma sure has lasted with them

I read the following on blabbermouth speaking of Manowar and thought this was very funny

MANOWAR Looking For Girls To Join CD-Release 'Party Crew' - Jan. 16, 2007 MANOWAR has scheduled release parties for its new CD, "Gods of War", in 10 German cities in February and is seeking girls to be part of the "MANOWAR party crew." Interested girls need to do the following:

* Dance to a MANOWAR song, videotape it, and upload your video on www.myvideo.de or send it via mail to:

Circle Song Music
"Be a Manowar Girl"
Theodorstr. 41 b-z, Haus P
22761 Hamburg

* Length: 30-40 seconds
* Deadline: February 9

The best female dancers will be invited to a MANOWAR release party in Germany "to put all metalheads into a good vibe!" And on top of that, they will also win a "mega MANOWAR package with cool merchandise." Additionally, the top three entries will win a backstage pass for a MANOWAR concert in Germany during their "Demons, Dragons and Warriors Tour" in March.

do they really need to try that hard to get chicks?
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Katana Overlord
Master of the Pit

How could you have a best metal vocalist thread without mentioning Dio?

My favourite metal singers are:
Dio
Conklin
Adams
Cyris
Tim Baker
Halford
Dickinson
David Defeis
Daniel Heiman
Paul Baloff
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Golden_Goose

KO, Dio is up there too

He's really a freak of nature too
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
bernt

My favorite right now is JORN

www.jornlande.com <- amazing vocalist !

Dio
Chris Thompson
Ian Gillan
Paul Stanley
Glen Hughes
Mike Patton ... etc. etc. etc
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Marco Spain

Heavy metal speaking:

Ronnie James Dio (how can anyone being so old and singing so well!)
Harry Conklin

Hard rock:

Glenn Hughes (without doubt the voice of rock)

Personal Favourites:

Mike DiMeo (ex Riot, now in Masterplan)
Zak Stevens (ex Savatage, Circle II Circle)
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Stardust2112
And your little dog, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernt View Post
My favorite right now is JORN

www.jornlande.com <- amazing vocalist !
Love, love, love Jorn Lande. He was incredible at ProgPower USA VII. He also kicked major ass at PPUSA II with Ark.

~C
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Stardust2112
And your little dog, too!

I'm a Ronnie James Dio disciple myself, and of course, Halford is the Metal God. Hell, I put The Tyrant right up there with these guys. He fucking owns.

I'm also a dorky DC Cooper fangirl. Yes, I realize he's much prettier than I am, but he sings his ass off.

~C
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
MorbidSaint
Keeper of the Seven Keys

Many of the greats have already been named (Halford, Dio, Tyrant, Eric Adams, etc.) and I'd like to throw a few more out there.

Daniel Heiman (ex-Lost Horizon)
This guy is absolutely ridiculous. He has a great mid-range voice and he throws out high-pitched shrieks all over the place. I don't care for his new band (Heed), but Lost Horizon released two great albums with him on vocals.

http://media.putfile.com/Lost-Horizon---Heart-of-Storm
http://media.putfile.com/Pretty-Cool

Iuri Sanson (Hibria)
Just an overall solid voice with fantastic range and a great band backing him up.

John Cyriis (ex-Agent Steel)
I don't think anyone knows where this guy is, but his work on the first two Agent Steel albums absolutely rocks if you like high-pitched vocals in your speed metal (who doesn't?)
http://media.putfile.com/Agent-Steel---Agents-of-Steel

Midnight (Ex-Crimson Glory)
Crimson Glory's ballads pretty much sucked and I only really enjoy their first two albums, but nobody can deny Midnight's prowess on vocals.
http://media.putfile.com/Crimson-Glory--Valhalla

James Rivera (Helstar)
Not only did Helstar have some of the most tasteful lead guitarists in their prime, but they also had this guy's great pipes.
http://media.putfile.com/Winds-of-War

I also really enjoy Jari Mäenpää's (Wintersun, ex-Ensiferum) clean vocals that he uses when he doesn't use his black metal-esque rasp. They are the soaring type that, while not particularly challenging, are very appealing to me.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Shadow Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidSaint View Post
Many of the greats have already been named (Halford, Dio, Tyrant, Eric Adams, etc.) and I'd like to throw a few more out there.

Daniel Heiman (ex-Lost Horizon)
This guy is absolutely ridiculous. He has a great mid-range voice and he throws out high-pitched shrieks all over the place. I don't care for his new band (Heed), but Lost Horizon released two great albums with him on vocals.

http://media.putfile.com/Lost-Horizon---Heart-of-Storm
http://media.putfile.com/Pretty-Cool

Iuri Sanson (Hibria)
Just an overall solid voice with fantastic range and a great band backing him up.

John Cyriis (ex-Agent Steel)
I don't think anyone knows where this guy is, but his work on the first two Agent Steel albums absolutely rocks if you like high-pitched vocals in your speed metal (who doesn't?)
http://media.putfile.com/Agent-Steel---Agents-of-Steel

Midnight (Ex-Crimson Glory)
Crimson Glory's ballads pretty much sucked and I only really enjoy their first two albums, but nobody can deny Midnight's prowess on vocals.
http://media.putfile.com/Crimson-Glory--Valhalla

James Rivera (Helstar)
Not only did Helstar have some of the most tasteful lead guitarists in their prime, but they also had this guy's great pipes.
http://media.putfile.com/Winds-of-War

I also really enjoy Jari Mäenpää's (Wintersun, ex-Ensiferum) clean vocals that he uses when he doesn't use his black metal-esque rasp. They are the soaring type that, while not particularly challenging, are very appealing to me.
On Agent Steel's Skeptics Apocalypse album there's a song called 144,000 gone. At about 2:50 in, John Cyriis hits a note that's so high it can shatter glass.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Deadnight Warrior87
The Tempest

Dio....not just for Dio, but his work in Rainbow was amazing too!

Or Sebastian Bach, his vocals on the first Skid Row album show some insane talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodomite:
its okay man your cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyScalpel:
So the US government shows up in china in flying saucers and abducts students from their homes?
"OH NOES THEIR TAKIN MEE 2 US!!!11!"'1!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyValerie
For the record, Navreet is MY cyber partner, so don't even try to take him.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #22 (permalink)
Vacant_Planets
Queen Nicole

Crimson Glory's uptempo jazz influenced songs are incredible, Eternal World is my personal favorite, killer voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necuratul View Post
Yeah, and Immortal played Holocaust Metal. I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchrisK View Post
Then I'd rather hear a log falling from my ass into the toilet, than a LoG album.
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
knib

Hi everybody, long time reader, first post.

For me, the greatest voice is the one of Matthew Barlow (ex Iced Earth). Its range is impressive and his voice is powerful at every tone with an impression of easiness.
Furthermore, he's able to keep this vocal qualities in live performance, which is not the case of every singer (listen to the Alive in Athens album).
Iced Earth recorded numerous covers and IMHO, they all surpass the original ones.

But, that's all a matter of taste...
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Shadow Thief

John Greely was awesome on Night of the Stormrider.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
swayn3rd
h4x

Jag Panzer