Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
atreides481

Old Katatonia or New Katatonia?

Hey, i'm a pretty big n00b with the whole UM Forums, but just wanting to know what people preffered, old Katatonia or new Katatonia. New Katatonia (Viva Emptiness) is what got me into Katatonia but then became very facinated with the old Katatonia and vocal progression of Jonas Renkse from then to now....anyways whats the longer listeners of Katatonia prefer?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
pistol_pete

well im only listening since last fair deal, but my preference is the new stuff, my favourite album being Discouraged Ones, dont think any band will ever top that (style).

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Varg-
Banned

BOTH! I like every album with them just as much, almost..
I can't choose...
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
zeroMaximum
www.almenconi.com

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW new new new new new. and then some old.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
norghash
December Soul

their first three releases are the best music ever created!

http://www.northern-silence.de
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
AngelinaBlakkheim
Menacing meow

Both, but I prefer old a little bit.
DoDS and BMD
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
thebleakhorizon
aspiring curmudgeon

It's not productive, in my estimation, to put one's self in a position to consider this kind of thing. Of course, I realize a certain level of playfulness with it...however, the action seems ultimately fruitless. Although each Katatonia effort carries with it a unique personality, there certainly remains a constant atmospheric current running through the entire discography. Though the members have matured and developed naturally as musicians and songwriters, and the production has been increasingly enhanced, the soul of the music and its electric ocean of penetration has never been sacrificed. Old...new...it matters not in the grand scheme of musical/emotional fulfillment. What does matter is that it is ever felt at all.

N.P. : Tiamat - "Visionaire"
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Demonspell
cheating the polygraph

I agree with Bleakhorizon, this question is a meaningless exercise, and the essence of Katatonia's music has remained largely unchanged despite the aesthetic differences.
"There is a concern that the Internet could be used to commit crimes and that advanced encryption could disguise such activity. However, we do not provide the government with phone jacks outside our homes for unlimited wiretaps. Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web?""
-- JOHN ASHCROFT, as a U.S. senator, from his Aug. 12, 1997 op-ed piece in the Washington Times, "Welcoming Big Brother."
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deliverance6

Agreed.....
I have my favorites, depending on my mood. I am in no way opposed to the direction that they are going in though, it is appropriate enough for me to be able to appreciate the new as much as the old.

I GOT WAY MORE KATATONIA SHIT THAN YOU!
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Scourge
Suicide Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonspell
I agree with Bleakhorizon, this question is a meaningless exercise, and the essence of Katatonia's music has remained largely unchanged despite the aesthetic differences.
While this is true, and again, Bleakhorizon has provided another eloquent and verbose metaphysical evaluation, I don't think any of those points take away from the validity of the initial question here. I can certainly agree to a uniform, unmalleable emotional and atmospheric ethos running through the entire discograpy. But it is aesthetics that allow for the qualification of the whole ouvre. And it is because of these aesthetics that the empirical qualifying of each album really is a severely subjective task. Therefore the question at hand is valid, and a great opportunity to allow for the propagation of many opinions and thoughts by a sect of people uniformly united in the despairing bliss that is Katatonia.

Orgazmo
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
CAS

I consider both old and new Katatonia incredible music, something that has affected me a lot. The feeling that every single song creates is unique. That's why I think that I can't compare their old style with new style so I prefer both.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
L0bster
OneTwo!

I guess I like brave murder day and all that follows, maybe a bit more into the new sound, the sound of Discourage Ones and onward.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Varg-
Banned

Hmmmm.....
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Demilich

Honestly, minus the vocals, I see BMD as much closer to the "new" Katatonia sound than the "old." I guess I prefer the new, haven't given DoDS or Jhva Elohim Meth much of a chance yet.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Varg-
Banned

Damn guys. I don't understand how you can give an opinion if you don't know every album (heard is not the same as know)... DoDS is a masterpiece!
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
DE
vote bnp

I like them both
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Dreadful
When Man& Machine Collide

I'm more of a fan of the doomish material. The newer stuff is great too, but Dance of December souls, for funerals to come, etc is just some of the most remarkable music I've heard ever. I'm currently writing and recording a doomish song since my friend and I both broke up with our lovers and the Katatonia influence obviously came out without intention. A couple people on the net were like "oh this is very katatonia/paradise lost...Oh well, Katatonia is a great band. This my first time in this section of Ultimate metal as well, pretty cool.
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
zeroMaximum
www.almenconi.com

i really like the latest Anastacia album
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Anesthesia
Just let me die

I personally love all of Katatonia's music, however Dance of December Souls just has... something... that the others don't. Maybe it is the fact that it is so raw and underproduced that gives it that little extra feeling of darkness and despair. Either way, Katatonia RULES
Remember desire only fuels the fire....Liar!
- Type O Negative "Anesthesia"
From Life is Killing Me 2003
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
bmh

Depends on what mood I'm in, so both.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Drynwhyl
infp

i don't think i could keep apart the feelings and the intense influence of Katatonia's pre-era and the last 3-4 albums in a way. both 'phases' are above all very personal differentiated.. i guess in the beginning their emotions had that typical youth pathos, quasi surging on the surface, the exaltation and devotion as well.. now it's drifting deep inside, as touching as before for sure.
a love both!
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
PHIL_KORPZE

I have to say I like all their stuff. It's always nice to have variety depending on your mood, and all from the same band!
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
VEHEMENCE
Helping The World To See

New shit is mint!
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #24 (permalink)
Jinn
Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreides481
Hey, i'm a pretty big n00b with the whole UM Forums, but just wanting to know what people preffered, old Katatonia or new Katatonia. New Katatonia (Viva Emptiness) is what got me into Katatonia but then became very facinated with the old Katatonia and vocal progression of Jonas Renkse from then to now....anyways whats the longer listeners of Katatonia prefer?
I've been listening ever since Seven Dreaming Souls... I prefer older Katatonia, but their new stuff is kickass. Their Brave Yester Days release was so friggin incredible... THANK YOU KATATONIA!
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Epistel
expecting not to be

it's almost impossible to determine which phase of the music development of Katatonia has more influence,the ideas and the way of expression change and therefore the comparison between the old and the new Katatonia is like to draw a parallel between two completely different groups.Undoubtedly the 'old' Katatonia exhibits more of the strengt and the remonstrance of the youht and now everything is more mature ..i can't define which way leads deeper..Listen to the both!