Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Overlord Purple Rainbow

The Discouraged Ones

I still have the three Katatonia CD's that I bought awhile back...

DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS, TONIGHT'S DECISION, and VIVA EMPTINESS.

All are, in my opinion, great, great albums. And I need more!

I do want to get the double CD that collects all of the early EP's and songs from the 'old' Katatonia material. But there are only two albums from the 'new' Katatonia that I want to get. So I went to the Official site and sampled some of the tracks from LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN and THE DISCOURAGED ONES. And of the two, I was blown away by the samples from THE DISCOURAGED ONES. Especially the opening track.

Is this CD as good as the samples make it out to be?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Of-The-R...8171291&sr=1-1

For fans of underground horror!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
wankerness

In my opinion, Last Fair Deal Gone Down is much better...the samples on the site are of Teargas and Tonight's Music, right? Teargas just...isn't that impressive, it's kind of poppy, so don't let the samples convince you that the album's all like that. Anyway, that cd has A LOT more variety than Discouraged Ones, and I think it's much better. Discouraged Ones is probably their most depressing-sounding album...it's very, very mournful, and most of the vocals sound like they're sighed and way off in the background. It's got some really incredible songs (like deadhouse and saw you drown), but I think it's kind of repetitive. If you liked the samples from it, though, you'll probably like the whole thing, and therefore it might be a safer buy.

HOWEVER, YOU NEED BOTH SOONER OR LATER!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord_AgathoN
LIKE FIRE....

Iam not the same Opinion then wankerness.I would get Discouraged Ones. Actually it was my first Katatonia Cd..........and i was really blown away by the the mood on that album (it was in my "iam 16 and i want to die phase" of life ;-P). Last Fair Deal Gone Down IS poppy an is not filled with such a depression that discouraged ones has. And really............tracks like: IBreak, Deadhouse, Coldways and the masterpiece SawYouDrown mean really alot to me.
But Katatonia is often all about that album you listen first, when you are starting a "relationship" with the bands music. Katatonia has changed their style so often (even if its just small things like when u compare lfdgd and discouraged ones), that its possible that you hear one cd and u love it........but hate all the others :P
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Opaltone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Purple Rainbow
I still have the three Katatonia CD's that I bought awhile back...

DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS, TONIGHT'S DECISION, and VIVA EMPTINESS.

All are, in my opinion, great, great albums. And I need more!

I do want to get the double CD that collects all of the early EP's and songs from the 'old' Katatonia material. But there are only two albums from the 'new' Katatonia that I want to get. So I went to the Official site and sampled some of the tracks from LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN and THE DISCOURAGED ONES. And of the two, I was blown away by the samples from THE DISCOURAGED ONES. Especially the opening track.

Is this CD as good as the samples make it out to be?

Thanks!
Every Katatonia album is nice but I propose to you to buy last fair deal is going down.
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Everyone has a different opinion so don't listen to any of us as we'll all recommend something different. If possible, buy everything, if not, read descriptions of how the albums sound and listen to samples to get a general idea. DO is my favourite though. Yes, it's repetitive, but that's not always a bad thing, it's just "katatonic". It represents the name in my opinion.
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
daimonion

You should get both. I think LFDGD is the best of those two, but DO is really good too.
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Demonspell
cheating the polygraph

I agree with everyone else, get both of them...especially since you can't estimate the quality of a Katatonia album from pieces of one or two songs...
"There is a concern that the Internet could be used to commit crimes and that advanced encryption could disguise such activity. However, we do not provide the government with phone jacks outside our homes for unlimited wiretaps. Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web?""
-- JOHN ASHCROFT, as a U.S. senator, from his Aug. 12, 1997 op-ed piece in the Washington Times, "Welcoming Big Brother."
Old June 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
trigger

As everyone already said, both albums are incredible. I like LFDGD a little more, but DO is really really good also.
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
ZeDzEdZeD
dispassion player

Just buy both, DO is my favorite album and LFDGD comes next and BMD is third favorite... Looks like You haven't it either
Everything else is less impressive IMHO
www.estonianmetal.com

Last edited by ZeDzEdZeD : June 15th, 2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Overlord Purple Rainbow

Thank you all very much for your input!

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Of-The-R...8171291&sr=1-1

For fans of underground horror!
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
pistol_pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean
DO is my favourite though. Yes, it's repetitive, but that's not always a bad thing, it's just "katatonic". It represents the name in my opinion.
yes i agree totally, my fav album, easily.

Old June 9th, 2004, 02:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
[0hr]Sunlapse
Wraith

best 2 Katatonia albums: Brave Murder Day and Discouraged Ones. Get 'em!

-27000-
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Discouraged_Tom

Yeah, get Discouraged Ones - I give 3 listens in a row today morning and it's never becomes boring. It must grow in you but it's worthy to spend much time hearing it!
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Epistel
expecting not to be

it will be worth to buy the both..IMMEDIATELY!!!
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
L0bster
OneTwo!

Discouraged Ones might be my personal fave, get it.