Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Huge problem here

I bought a Bloodbath shirt and an Ancient Rites poster on Ebay from Anders. I sent 50 euros to him in a registered mail.
Look what I got today...

"
hey gorik,

now check this out cuz we got a problem.
i just got yer letter, it was registered, so i signed it to get it out.
when i open it, there's no money in there.
but at a closer look, i see a small fragment of a bill in there (see photos).
the envelope had not been opened, so nobody could have stolen it... or if they did, how was it done?!?!
out of 100s of letters sent to me, i never seen this before.
dya have any explaination for this??? did u take out the money again???
since u sent it registered, maybe u can demand the money back.
the thing is i didnt get any money.

anders"

http://users.pandora.be/antimatter/CIMG1159.JPG
http://users.pandora.be/antimatter/CIMG1160.JPG

Anyone ever experienced something similar? What should I do??

Last edited by Cerulean : February 16th, 2005 at 01:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
jptk

Hmmm....thats wierd. Cant trust those crazy mailmen! If its registered you should be able to get your money back
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Well I highly doubt that, cos how can I prove that I did put money in it?

What I don't understand is, it looks like the money has been CUT??? Cos there's still a lil piece of it left.
Some kind of ingenious mailman trick?
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lion in a Cage
I

Sending money via mail is very unreliable. I suggest you use either "western union" or "paypal" to send money...
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Registered mails were supposed to be very safe.
I can't get a Paypal account.
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
jptk

yes these mailmen are a clever folk. not sure what else you can do about it.
burn down the post office
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wanderer
Decayed Smile

Some banks have (i don't know it's english name but turkish meaning "imaginary") special credit card for using at internet based shopping.For example you need 50$ to buy an item.You can send 50$ to your special card from your account.This special card's number always changes.So none can use your special credit card number.It is very secure.
four numbers staring back at me displaying the mediocrity of my presence i am wasting my day watching them change the sun with it's blue sky outside shining down on all you happy people i am wasting my day waiting for rain need more methods to end each day to be happy by living this way

Old February 16th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lion in a Cage
I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Some banks have (i don't know it's english name but turkish meaning "imaginary") special credit card for using at internet based shopping.For example you need 50$ to buy an item.You can send 50$ to your special card from your account.This special card's number always changes.So none can use your special credit card number.It is very secure.
Yeah, but "Anders" is not an online store. You can't use a credit card to pay him.
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
gatedropper
Prince of Peace

Wrap the money in tin foil. If they can see a strip on the x-ray they will find a way to open the thing. Tin foil will screw up the x-ray.
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wanderer
Decayed Smile

Did i say that you can pay Anders's money by this card? I mentioned that someone could use this card at internet based shopping.
four numbers staring back at me displaying the mediocrity of my presence i am wasting my day watching them change the sun with it's blue sky outside shining down on all you happy people i am wasting my day waiting for rain need more methods to end each day to be happy by living this way

Old February 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
MountainDweller
Under The Dark Moon

That's really fuckin' weird. Someone had to have figured out a way to make a cut so fine that it's not noticable or something. Maybe Anders should have another look at the envelope. That's sad, though.

Also, I don't think you can claim actual money in registered mail. You're usually given a receipt when you send something that way and in the small print it usually says money isn't coverable by the loss guarantee or whatever.

Last edited by MountainDweller : February 16th, 2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

@ Cerulean, in this case I'm sorry to say, but you're fucked, cause Anders signed for the reception of the envelope. He thereby declared he received the letter "in good order" (= with the money in it). And how could he have done otherwise, there were no visual marks on the outside of the envelope, suggesting it had been opened to take the money out.

I'm saying this, cause the same thing happened to me once (last year). I picked up a registered letter -which should contain cash- from the postoffice, signed for it and when I came home I discovered the money had been stolen. On the backside there were actually marks showing quite obviously the envelope had been opened and glued shut again. I went to the postoffice to report the loss, but they couldn't help me cause I signed for receiving the letter 'in good order'. I'd been home in the meantime, so I could just as well have taken the money out myself.. It wasn't until then that I became more conscious and careful about signing for what I receive, so now I first make sure everything really is in order, before actually signing.
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Jinn
Saint

...woah... whichever mailman ripped that money from you...

that dude's a genius....

but damn! that's fucking crazy!!!

www.myspace.com/drynwhylband

Old February 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Deliverance6

Hey Cerulean,
I feel bad about your situation......I have been there too.(very recently for money sent to poland).....I have learned to wrap my money folded up in paper and then tape it up (completely sealed)......then put it in a box with a cd and then write on the box that it is a CD.....

Sorry brother.....but it happens and there is probably nothing you can do now.....because it wasnt stolen, it made it where it was supposed to go....

I GOT WAY MORE KATATONIA SHIT THAN YOU!
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jinn
Saint

hollow out a blank tape and stuff the money in there then send it on it's way?

www.myspace.com/drynwhylband

Old February 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wanderer
Decayed Smile

That makes some sense

Old February 18th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
insidethefall
somewhere nowhere

There are things called international money orders that you can get from your bank or post office. Never ever ever ever, under any condition, send cash in an envelope...i've heard this story a thousand times and I always feel really bad for the payer because I hate thieves.
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
nothinglefttofear

I have sent registered CASH in a letter to the USA only once (6 years ago I think), and guess what... it never arrived... However I got part of them money back ( 60% ) from the insurance, but had to wait like 4 months for it...

After that experience I have always sent cash in a normal letter, not registered... and guess what... it always arrived... Strange but true, just make it look like normal and hide it in tin paper and no problems occur...
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Yeah, thing is, a registered mail always contains something of value, so thieves will pay more attention to them than to regular envelopes. I think.
Old February 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Deliverance6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean
Yeah, thing is, a registered mail always contains something of value, so thieves will pay more attention to them than to regular envelopes. I think.
The first time I sent cash to POLAND I did it unregistered....thinking it would be less inconspicuous......it got stolen.......then I sent it registered and it made it there......I dont know which one is better to tell you the truth......cash either way is risky buisness....

I GOT WAY MORE KATATONIA SHIT THAN YOU!
Old February 19th, 2005, 05:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Swany
Rider On The Bonez

Sending cash is always a risk... but when you have to send money for paying something, there's a better and more safe way...

The one who's got the packet [in this case Anders] can send it per cash on delivery... so he brings the packet to the postoffice and gets his 50 ... now the post is responsible for the packet.
When the packet arrives, the receiver [p.E. Cerulean] has to pay the 50 + postage + special fee to the postman. Before he pays, he's abled to have a look into the packet together with the postman.
This is more expensive than sending cash because of the postage & fee ... in EU-countries it's gonna be something about 12 ... but you can be sure, that the packet will arrive... and if it got lost or stolen on it's way to the receiver, it's neither the senders nor the receivers problem.
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Yes, this method is called sending under "rembours", never used it, cause it's quite expensive, but it seems safe indeed.
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
MountainDweller
Under The Dark Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySwan
Sending cash is always a risk... but when you have to send money for paying something, there's a better and more safe way...

The one who's got the packet [in this case Anders] can send it per cash on delivery... so he brings the packet to the postoffice and gets his 50 ... now the post is responsible for the packet.
When the packet arrives, the receiver [p.E. Cerulean] has to pay the 50 + postage + special fee to the postman. Before he pays, he's abled to have a look into the packet together with the postman.
This is more expensive than sending cash because of the postage & fee ... in EU-countries it's gonna be something about 12 ... but you can be sure, that the packet will arrive... and if it got lost or stolen on it's way to the receiver, it's neither the senders nor the receivers problem.
Unfortunately, Anders and Katatonia don't do C.O.D.

Last edited by MountainDweller : February 19th, 2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Novembers Paul

Cerulean, by no means am I blaming you of this, but I know, speaking from experience, there are a lot of people out there, who pull scams like this as well, thinking that when the band gets this envelope, and it looks like they have been ripped off, to save face, or even be a nice guy and be called a "rip off" that the band will send the merch anyway. It's a tough position to be in on either side. I've been a part of scams before, and you just don't know how to look at it, because as you're saying here, it may be legit!
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
jptk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novembers Paul
Cerulean, by no means am I blaming you of this, but I know, speaking from experience, there are a lot of people out there, who pull scams like this as well, thinking that when the band gets this envelope, and it looks like they have been ripped off, to save face, or even be a nice guy and be called a "rip off" that the band will send the merch anyway. It's a tough position to be in on either side. I've been a part of scams before, and you just don't know how to look at it, because as you're saying here, it may be legit!
Why would people do that to bands/guys that they like? that sucks