Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr Samsara
Misanthropic Moderator

Question "Tonight's Decision"

What's up everyone? Opeth fan here who's only heard "Brave Murder Day" and am trying to give Katatonia a bigger listen. Found a copy of "Tonight's Decision" which I have on hold and am planning to purchase tomorrow. What can I expect? Any other recomendations?

Thanks,

James

Out.

Samsara - The Indefinitely Repeated Cycles of Birth, Misery, and Death Caused by Karma
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mantraschism
Skáld

Expect what is possibly the best album in Katatonia's discography.

The sound is very different from BMD. There are no growls, the songs feel more varied (they aren't, but they seem like they are), more 'pop-ish' (I don't mean this in a bad way). This is an extremely depressing and paranoid album, to me, in no small part because of the lyrics, which are quite terse and are totally devoid of any poetic flowery-ness (unlike Opeth).

Highlights:

For My Demons
I Am Nothing
Right Into The Bliss
Strained
A Darkness Coming
Black Session

Also, I advise you to 'respect beer' and go to www.beeradvocate.com. I've written a few reviews there myself, under the name 'Thiestru'. (Big surprise, eh?)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 27th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Illnath

Yes Katatonia changed their style after BMD. Expect a more Gothic Metal/Rock sound. You properly have to give the album a few listens before you realize just how great it is.

However I still think that their best album is Discouraged Ones.

Just one second, and I was left with nothing.
Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
tix
what is it in my eyes?

fuck yeah - definately the best record ever (TD)

Old March 27th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Aaron A.
\v/

Their best album is definitely "Discouraged Ones," followed by "Tonight's Decision."

It's a great album. I hope you got the reissue, though. The one with "Fractured" and "No Devotion."
Old March 27th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Vex Loser
Negative Vibe Merchant

Fucking great album. I love the whole "summer" vibe that it seems to have. The ending sequence to "Ne Devotion" is pure bliss.

Vex - Dynamic Extreme Metal

Nosferion - Primitive Black Metal
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Migs
Friday the 13th addict

IMO it's the least depressive album of their discography , "discouraged ones" and "viva emptiness" (for example) are far more more sad and depressive.

Tonight's decision it's more of a straight dark-rock record,with a great final track "black session",and try to get the edition with the 2 bonus track,that are excellent
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
MiniMegaMoose

TD is one of the best, especially with the inclusion of No Devotion. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my favorite, but this is probably 2nd.
Old March 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
bleedingfilth
Lost Pet Needs Home

Yeah, I agree. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my favorite, but you got the next best one in line. The style is totally different, but I'm sure you'll like it just the same. I recommend that you pick up "The Black Sessions" box. (2 cds and a DVD) you can get it from the end records, and it pretty much showcases all of Katatonia's later albums, From Discouraged Ones, to Viva Emptiness. The DVD is excellent as well.

Women in metal Msg Board:
http://pub56.ezboard.com/bwomenintheworldofmetal

My Women in metal site:
www.geocities.com/countess_bleeding_filth
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wanderer
Decayed Smile

Best lyrics ever!
four numbers staring back at me displaying the mediocrity of my presence i am wasting my day watching them change the sun with it's blue sky outside shining down on all you happy people i am wasting my day waiting for rain need more methods to end each day to be happy by living this way

Old March 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Demonspell
cheating the polygraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A.
Their best album is definitely "Discouraged Ones," followed by "Tonight's Decision."

It's a great album. I hope you got the reissue, though. The one with "Fractured" and "No Devotion."
Make sure it's the jewelcase version as the digipack is a flimsy package and doesn't include all the artwork. The bonus tracks are good songs (No Devotion rules) but not essential IMO, unlike the LFDGD ones which are on the same level as the album.
"There is a concern that the Internet could be used to commit crimes and that advanced encryption could disguise such activity. However, we do not provide the government with phone jacks outside our homes for unlimited wiretaps. Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web?""
-- JOHN ASHCROFT, as a U.S. senator, from his Aug. 12, 1997 op-ed piece in the Washington Times, "Welcoming Big Brother."
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Aaron A.
\v/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonspell
Make sure it's the jewelcase version as the digipack is a flimsy package and doesn't include all the artwork. The bonus tracks are good songs (No Devotion rules) but not essential IMO, unlike the LFDGD ones which are on the same level as the album.
Yeah, you make a pretty valid point there.

Either way, you're in for a treat, man. Enjoy it!