Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #151 (permalink)
Wanderer
Decayed Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Darkness Coming
great video and thanks to KATATONIA and the others for making this great video and it was worth the wait as i said before
TO ether and the others who criricized the video u should have directed it then and if u want to see masterpieces videos go see rammstein videos i think u guys will like them they ar very funny
Yes i can direct better but that does not matter.I dont like the video.It looks too cliche to me and i can not find anything exciting in it.The only thing i love in the video is the colours hmmm and the girl is disturbing.(i think what they want to show her as a disturbing figure)
four numbers staring back at me displaying the mediocrity of my presence i am wasting my day watching them change the sun with it's blue sky outside shining down on all you happy people i am wasting my day waiting for rain need more methods to end each day to be happy by living this way

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #152 (permalink)
Qth
Treasonous Member

Just saw the video and WOW! Dark!
I love it!

Last.fm

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #153 (permalink)
Blakkheim
In the Still of the Night

in case it was not clear: everyone here are free and encouraged to speak their minds about the video, good or bad. previous directed comments were made because some people choose to jump to analyze something they hadn't seen yet.

i'm not being touchy, or too impulsive. make a 180 degree turn and u'll see i'm just cleaning up in the anthill, some things doesn't belong in the stack, but they're being pulled back there over and over again.

in regards of making of a video and for people who claim they can direct better, it's killer we have such artistic talent right here hidden in our forum! we sincerely want to see your video drafts and scripts in picture, so please proceed with the making of it and contact me privately and we'll send you an ftp to upload it...please note you won't have access to the band jamming out, so use your visions, knowledge and skill to create a video without us...

waiting impatiently... cheerz

Old February 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #154 (permalink)
daimonion

I liked the video. Sure, things could always be better, but no matter what it DID capture a lot of the feeling in Katatonia. And thats whats important to me.
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #155 (permalink)
Wanderer
Decayed Smile

It is pointless to argue with a member of the band and when i read my post again i see that it can be understood wrong.

I am not a director (although i want to be) .But when "A darkness coming" said "TO ether and the others who criricized the video u should have directed it then" i mean that it is not about i can direct it or not but i have rights to critize it good or bad (and most of the people here said that video is excellent).And it is very absurd to mention rammstien videos here cause when we can not critize your songs or videos by other shitty videos or songs (i mean if you play or direct better than Rammstein or anyother band does not make your art good)

Sorry for my words again.I will be more clear next time.
four numbers staring back at me displaying the mediocrity of my presence i am wasting my day watching them change the sun with it's blue sky outside shining down on all you happy people i am wasting my day waiting for rain need more methods to end each day to be happy by living this way

Old February 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #156 (permalink)
L0bster
OneTwo!

As far as I can see no-one said "d00000d diz video suuxxx" while there where only screenshots available. People shared their expectations some expected a kick-ass video by seeing the screens, and some expected a not so kick-ass video, somehow the latter where found less acceptable...
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #157 (permalink)
A Darkness Coming
i am nothing

i was joking about the rammstein videos guys
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #158 (permalink)
Jinn
Saint

Well, here's my two cents.

I'm not a big fan of music videos from the start.... I'm one of those guys that just likes to lay back and sink deep into the music with my headphones.

Things I liked:
It's a music video... by KATATONIA!!!!
The song
the girl
the billowing room that the band was in
the unexpected bursts of cold, dark sorrow, anguish, etc. [the girl (?) grabbing frantically at the guy when he opens the fridge]
It was better than the Opeth video [but then again, there isn't much that is worse than the Opeth video]
Water on the cymbal. I don't care if it's the most used trick in the book, it's still damn cool.

What I didn't like:
There were no shots of the band as a whole
There were like... two things of Mattias...
The cigarette creeping out of the box.
No creativity in the band shots. There were some good shots, but they kept going back to the same damn shot of Anders, Jonas' mouth, and fred's upper half. The drum shots were alright.

What could've been better:
more internal conflict shown... more surrealism
shots of the band as a whole, sweeping, 360 degree shots, etc.

Suggestion:
how about for the next video, use your fans instead of stock talent. I believe that most of your fans could set the mood better than two or three actors with maybe a week of prep, exposure and knowledge of the band and the music... I mean, for many of us, [to quote Anders] this music is a form of therapy. It soothes our pain and helps us to embrace the cold.

Besides getting actors that truly set the mood [to me, I just couldn't see the pain in the actors' eyes], you'd most likely get them for a lot cheaper than others... cuz hell, it's a chance to star in or be in a Katatonia music video!!! Hell, I know I'd do it for free.

EDIT: Have Reece [Deliverance6] star in the next video. Seriously.

www.myspace.com/drynwhylband

Last edited by Jinn : February 7th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #159 (permalink)
Deliverance6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinn

EDIT: Have Reece [Deliverance6] star in the next video. Seriously.

well.....if the video was shot tonight I would be able to pull off some seriously saddened looks........one of my friends died last night.....on the street.....drunk.....he died from the cold.......I knew I shouldnt have gone to play poker right after I heard the news.....played some stupid hands....got sucked out on the river....lost all my money......my girlfriend is all pissed at me for even going to play anyways....much less losing all my dough........I have no job.....and am about to go to jail for child support.....Im fucked.......and unfortunately I care that I am fucked.....and my friend is dead.....

so yes....this would be the night....

I GOT WAY MORE KATATONIA SHIT THAN YOU!
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #160 (permalink)
Discouraged+One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverance6
well.....if the video was shot tonight I would be able to pull off some seriously saddened looks........one of my friends died last night.....on the street.....drunk.....he died from the cold.......I knew I shouldnt have gone to play poker right after I heard the news.....played some stupid hands....got sucked out on the river....lost all my money......my girlfriend is all pissed at me for even going to play anyways....much less losing all my dough........I have no job.....and am about to go to jail for child support.....Im fucked.......and unfortunately I care that I am fucked.....and my friend is dead.....

are you gonna be alright?...man you got me worried hehe....no seriously.
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #161 (permalink)
Skaldir
formerly known as Unicorn

Quote:

Sorry to hear that Reece.
Abscession

my studio:
Kalthallen

--> Kalthallen Cabs - New MesOs 4x12 IR library out! <--
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #162 (permalink)
Qth
Treasonous Member

Quote:
What I didn't like:
There were no shots of the band as a whole
There were like... two things of Mattias...
The cigarette creeping out of the box.
No creativity in the band shots. There were some good shots, but they kept going back to the same damn shot of Anders, Jonas' mouth, and fred's upper half. The drum shots were alright.
For some reason i dont like videoshots where a band is standing like they are on stage preforming to an audience, but there is no audience. There might be some exceptions but 99% of shots like this just looks silly imo. Liveshots are ok though.
The way they are shot in this video is perfect imo, i love it.

And i liked the cigarette effect, added a surreal feeling.

Last.fm

Old February 8th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #163 (permalink)
Discouraged_Tom

Quote:

Shit man, sad to hear that. Take care there pal.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #164 (permalink)
Deliverance6

Im alright...thanx for your concern everyone.....I was in that mood last night though......Im sure everything will be ok......besides....I have done a fair amount of time before.......as for my friend....he was an alcoholic.....I had been trying to help him to stay sober for the last 3 years.......he just couldnt do it......he had just gotten kicked out of the homeless shelter on new years day for drinking.....he had called me that night....drunk as hell.....

I dont know if anyone here remembers this......but a few years ago my car had gotten stolen......this was they guy that stole it.......he took it to "test the brakes he had been working on".......he hit someone and had been drinking......so he ran and parked the car somewhere and drank up all the money I had in the car.....3 days later he called me.......I went and picked him up and took him back to my house.....gave him some fresh clothes and a shower.......took him to an A.A. meeting.....let him crash on my couch.....

I did my best.....I forgave him and he knew it.....that was the best gift I could give him I think.....because the alcoholic is rarely forgiven......and cannot forgive themself...

sorry for taking this thread hostage

I GOT WAY MORE KATATONIA SHIT THAN YOU!
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #165 (permalink)
Jinn
Saint

That sucks bro... I wish I could help you out... I'm sorry about your friend, even if he never cleaned up.

www.myspace.com/drynwhylband

Old February 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #166 (permalink)
ether
°°§°°

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkheim

in regards of making of a video and for people who claim they can direct better, it's killer we have such artistic talent right here hidden in our forum! we sincerely want to see your video drafts and scripts in picture, so please proceed with the making of it and contact me privately and we'll send you an ftp to upload it...please note you won't have access to the band jamming out, so use your visions, knowledge and skill to create a video without us...

waiting impatiently... cheerz
er..er...and this is not being touchy....

jag driver lite med dig..men det är sant, du är känslig

"En fågel sjunger inte för att den har några frågor eller svar, en fågel sjunger för att den har en sång.”

Last edited by ether : February 8th, 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #167 (permalink)
ether
°°§°°

Quote:
Im alright...thanx for your concern everyone.....I was in that mood last night though......Im sure everything will be ok......besides....I have done a fair amount of time before.......as for my friend....he was an alcoholic.....I had been trying to help him to stay sober for the last 3 years.......he just couldnt do it......he had just gotten kicked out of the homeless shelter on new years day for drinking.....he had called me that night....drunk as hell.....

I dont know if anyone here remembers this......but a few years ago my car had gotten stolen......this was they guy that stole it.......he took it to "test the brakes he had been working on".......he hit someone and had been drinking......so he ran and parked the car somewhere and drank up all the money I had in the car.....3 days later he called me.......I went and picked him up and took him back to my house.....gave him some fresh clothes and a shower.......took him to an A.A. meeting.....let him crash on my couch.....

I did my best.....I forgave him and he knew it.....that was the best gift I could give him I think.....because the alcoholic is rarely forgiven......and cannot forgive themself...

sorry for taking this thread hostage
hope there will be soon time for more light in your life...
One of my friends had a car accident and is lying in coma since last december..she will probably never wake up and if she does whe will not be the same for sure. that´s really sad...I cried so much for that.. well...I begin to appreciate life so much when I think about those events...I mean, I´m always complaining for job, love and stuff like that, but I have to consider myself lucky for not having serious health problems...

"En fågel sjunger inte för att den har några frågor eller svar, en fågel sjunger för att den har en sång.”

Last edited by ether : February 8th, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #168 (permalink)
Aprilhäxan
pagan queen

Shit, I downloaded it yesterday but I still didn’t watch it I constantly need to download something else to support this format… Ok, in the beginning I downloaded the video itself… Then I had to download and install Real Player 10 instead of Real 1 I had before… Now downloading QuickTime, the last one I need to watch it (I hope). 40 minutes left…
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #169 (permalink)
Aprilhäxan
pagan queen

And Reece... I'm really sorry for your friend. Hold on, man. I know how it feels, believe me... Some scars will never mend...
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #170 (permalink)
ghost_brigade

great video. daniel, those slowmotion symbal hits rule, old skool!! with water and all!!
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #171 (permalink)
Qth
Treasonous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilhäxan
Shit, I downloaded it yesterday but I still didn’t watch it I constantly need to download something else to support this format… Ok, in the beginning I downloaded the video itself… Then I had to download and install Real Player 10 instead of Real 1 I had before… Now downloading QuickTime, the last one I need to watch it (I hope). 40 minutes left…
Yeah i know what you mean.
VLC plays .mov-files and is much better than Quicktime.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Last.fm

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #172 (permalink)
Daniel L.
Band Member

Quote:
...The drum shots were alright...
yes they were...as everything else in the video...
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #173 (permalink)
Aprilhäxan
pagan queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qth
Yeah i know what you mean.
VLC plays .mov-files and is much better than Quicktime.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
SAVIOUR!
No seriously, thanks a lot. Quicktime didn't show it anyway...

And about the video... Wow... that's great. It's moody, it's dark and it's Katatonia. Should we expect more? It's Charlie Granberg, not Fellini at the end of the day...

MY LINKS:
www.myspace.com/ulla666
www.myspace.com/swedishordes (my page in memory of Quorthon)

MY DEAR FRIENDS:
www.bathory.se
www.ares-kingdom.com
www.deathstars.net
www.klingwall.se
www.elviramadigan.com
www.myspace.com/francine666 (band art)

Last edited by Aprilhäxan : February 9th, 2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #174 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cináed

I pretty much echo Jinn's comments...

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #175 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R.
I pretty much echo Jinn's comments...
me too...
I say Daniel does look rather sexy on those drums and Mattias looks...ehm...well I don't know I saw him for about a split second...
The performence part looked very "Metallica-One"-ish and the bleeding radio was cool.
Swanö 3:16
hellre en rövare i poolen än en polare i röven