Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone-Deaf
For example porcupine tree has written some songs that are over 12 minutes, but somehow steven's voice is so mesmerizing and the most times in long pt songs while everything is calm and cool the silence breaks and the song goes heavy. How I enjoy that when it happens .
I know what you mean
I love the song "the start of something beautiful" where the solo starts acoustic and then it all goes heavy, hmmm
they are so good
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
A Darkness Coming
i am nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone-Deaf
I've never really got into Opeth. I have heard hope leaves, harvest - probably very mellow songs comparing to the most of their songs, and the grand gonjuration from ghost reveries. Well, after hearing theese songs, ok, it's a good band I said to myself. But nothing really amazed me, I was never hooked up with Opeth, and by reading all theese reviews and comments, it seemed to me that they are a bit overrated. I know that most of you must be hardcore fans of Opeth, suggest a few more good songs, and tell a good reason why Opeth is so great as most people think, and I don't doubt it at all,
Listen to WHEN and DEMON OF THE FALL from my arms your hears album
Listen to THE MOOR and GODHEAD'S LAMENT from still life album
Listen to THE LEPER AFFINITY and THE DRAPERY FALLS from BWP album
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
gone
zabijasz mnie

Get everything up to and including My Arms, Your Hearse and don't bother with anything else.
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
D.D.S. Polymath
A Ghost in the Daylight

Overrated though Opeth may well have become, they still are an excellent band. In fact, I think Opeth and Katatonia complement each other in a manner that no other two bands can, so poetic and aesthetically appealing in most respects. The latest Opeth album has so far failed to impress me greatly, though, but Still Life and Blackwater Park will never leave me unrewarded. What better choice than to play 'Face of Melinda' repeatedly to my heart's content, especially on a mild summer evening?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Hypnos
steck ihn nei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacorvus
I agree. MAYH is what REALLY got me into Opeth. It has a dark mood that I don't think any other Opeth album has matched.
try MAYH or some songs off it like 'Karma', 'When' or 'April Ethereal'. this is imho their best album by far followed by Orchid and Still Life. Morningrise is good too but after Still Life they got a bit boring though...
i suggest you d'load thes songs to get a better impression:

from Orchid: 'In Mist She Was Standing' and 'The Twilight Is My Robe'
from Morningrise: 'Advent' and 'To Bid You Farewell'
from My Arms Your Hearse: 'When' and 'Karma'
from Still Life: 'Godhead's Lament' and 'Moonlapse Vertigo'
from Blackwater Park: 'Dirge For November' and 'Blackwater Park'
from Deliverance: 'A Fair Judgment' and 'Masters Apprentices'
from Damnation: 'Windowpane' and 'To Rid The Disease'
from Ghost Reveries: 'Ghost Of Perdition' and 'The Baying Of The Hounds'

hope i could help a bit.
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Foreverlorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnos
'In Mist She Was Standing'
yeah, that's my favorite track by Opeth... It's the first one I've ever heard by Opeth!
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered
i suppose you're speaking of "arriving somewhere (but not here)" this song never seemed to me like 12 minutes because it's so exciting!!
Is it 12 minutes?!
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
Tone-Deaf
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent J.
Is it 12 minutes?!
Yes it is, but it's a great song. Somewhere in the song, it goes a bit heavy, the first time I listent to it, it was kinda creepy, it was night and I was feeling sleepy and I was hearing the song, that at first was relaxing with a psychedelic flavour, but then it went more hard and fast, it really surprised me.(Bytheway today I was hooked up with ''Grand Gonjuration'', after 3-4 listens before a few days I really liked it and today I've listent to it again and it's pretty good. Although I still don't really like the growlings in acoustic)
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Metamyr

For me, the song that really got me into opeth was "Reverie/Harelequin Forest" off their new album, Ghost Reveries. Prior to that, i really only had listened to Damnation (was kinda turned off to the whole death metal part of the band), but that song just had soooo much amazing melody and the singing and screaming is just so well done, i've actually come to enjoy the opeth screaming. Definitly still my favorite song by them tho.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Keltoi

I think this discussion is simply a matter of when you started listening to Katatonia. If you loved Dance of the December Souls, chances are you love metal. If you started listening to Katatonia when Viva Emptiness came out, and you don't like "screaming", chances are you don't like metal. Same with Opeth, if you don't like them because of the "screaming", than either you don't like metal or it is a new genre for you. You can't simply like Viva Emptiness and expect to like Opeth.
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Tone-Deaf
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltoi
I think this discussion is simply a matter of when you started listening to Katatonia. If you loved Dance of the December Souls, chances are you love metal. If you started listening to Katatonia when Viva Emptiness came out, and you don't like "screaming", chances are you don't like metal. Same with Opeth, if you don't like them because of the "screaming", than either you don't like metal or it is a new genre for you. You can't simply like Viva Emptiness and expect to like Opeth.
I don't like screamings by meaning deep growls in acapella. I really like dark tranquillity, especially songs from their latest, character, also arch enemy, nightrage, soilwork, hypocrisy, decapitated. From categories of metal that include screamings I prefer listening to melodic death metal and thrash metal. I don't like black metal or death metal without melody the kind of nile and behemoth do (i think) (+puke) . But in the case of Opeth I think that I can get used to the vocals because it's only in a few parts that there are screamings and I must say that I makes it more dark. Imo it would be better If there were some instruments during the screamings or when there are, it would be good to be a bit louder to cover it. But then it wouldn't be Opeth. right?

Last edited by Tone-Deaf : March 15th, 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #37 (permalink)
Sickman

Listen to Morningrise. And after that, listen to My Arms, Your Hearse. Most people typically recommend Still Life, but I think these two albums are quite a bit better.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

-10 points for bashing Behemoth
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
demonikon
K.I.N.G. ov Hell

seeing Opeth this friday..cannot wait