Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
shadowNINE
иии

Agalloch post song from new album

http://www.mp3.com/agalloch/artists/339158/summary.html.

The new song is called "Falling Snow" and it's from their forthcoming album Ashes Against the Grain, which is to be released on The End records later this year. The band have suggested that the new album will have more of a "rock" feel to it, but will still sound like Agalloch.

Judging by this song, I think they've succeeded...and I think Katatonia fans will really like this sound...so I am posting the news here. Enjoy.

(Also note that the song can only be streamed from that site. I heard that it'll be available to download from The End soon.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Black Tears
Still in the Dark

I listened to this earlier today...It's heavier than I expected, still really cool though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
the_dying

Very eager to hear the new cd!
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
m0rtis
Distopia

i just checked out the new song, it really sounds nice.... Agalloch still keeps its sound. cool..
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
the_dying

Reminds me a bit of the older Katatonia (and old Agalloch). Screams!!!
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
m0rtis
Distopia

yeah but agallochs guitar riffs are not melancholic unlike Katatonia, they are happy =) but the vocals are evil =)
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

With a new album out I thought I'd give Agalloch another shot, cause the previous stuff failed to convince me despite several attempts, yet they keep popping up in "bands you should check out if you like Katatonia" threads. Well, I love Katatonia, so I downloaded "Ashes Against The Grain" and listened to it tonight. I listened... and listened... and tried.. and tried to find a melody or lead that would make me eager to continue to listen, but in vain..

The riffs, chords and melodies fail to stimulate even the most sensitive of nerves in my body, they just sound totally anonymous to me. Hints of something that could be good can be noticed, but it never makes that final leap.. I guess I'll just give up on them, guess they're just not for me..
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

I think the two previous albums before Ashes didn't really do anything for me. But Ashes really got to me...It really stimulated my mind like only certain bands can do. I get a feeling where I'm in this dazed state of mind and I only concentrate on the music...can't do anything else. Only problem I have with it is that the Scream/Growl vocals can get stale. His cleans though are top notch.
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Morf1end

Give The Mantle some time to grow on you, trust me, it'll be worth it.
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Peachy

One of the best albums I own.
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Greentea

All three albums are gold. The Mantle is classic, you have to listen to it all the way through to get the full experince of it.
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
i aint play this

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rtis View Post
yeah but agallochs guitar riffs are not melancholic unlike Katatonia, they are happy =) but the vocals are evil =)
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
daimonion

This kinda sucked
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Scourge of Malice

AATG FTW YARLY

Old December 4th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Androz
Lord of the Cheese

The Mantle > Ashes Against The Grain for me, I miss the folky elements
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

Personally I love the "Of Stone, Wind and Pillor" EP the best. "Ashes Against the Grain" is probably my favorite full-length, but "The Mantle" is right on its heels with "Pale Folklore" right behind. I mean, Agalloch just does it for some where they don't for others. Fans of Ulver, Novembers Doom, Woods of Ypres, Green Carnation, and Pain of Salvation should definitely check out Agalloch, not necessarily Katatonia fans that aren't into the folk side of metal.
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Limbonic

I loved the new album.
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Splintered Vision
REAGAN SMASH!

Havent heard the new album yet, but i loved The Mantle. Some really good tunes on there.

Sick liasons raised this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
shadowNINE
иии

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rtis View Post
I'd say that the bit about the riffs is, of course, not always so. (But you probably already knew that...hehe.)

"Falling Snow", although good, is really not one of my favorites from Agalloch. They have some more songs on their site now (here), including the one from the album that I ended up liking the most -- "Not Unlike the Waves".

At this point, it'd be hard to say what my favorite albums of theirs is. They all offer something different.
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

Limbs gets my vote.
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Greentea

Isn't the Of Stone, Wind and Pillor EP out of print and that's why people are paying so high for it? I wonder if they will ever make new copies of it, I'd love to get it.
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

I would, too.
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

a new messiah...
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
shadowNINE
иии

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentea View Post
Isn't the Of Stone, Wind and Pillor EP out of print and that's why people are paying so high for it? I wonder if they will ever make new copies of it, I'd love to get it.
Indeed. There are only 2500 copies. I managed to get one in a trade. They have considered making more copies, but nothing has happened, and it is described as "limited", so...I'm not sure that it will be repressed. It's quite good, though -- worth seeking out.

As I understand it, they don't want to make more copies of the other limited releases, though -- split 10" with Nest (500 copies), Tomorrow Will Never Come 7" (500 as well) , and The Grey EP (1000).
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

I would love to have that split with Nest.