Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #326 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Dismemberrrrr!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #327 (permalink)
_Transparent_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
You saw a copy of Recordings in a shop and you DID NOT buy it IMMEDIATELY??!!! Are you completely out of your mind??!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not as rare/valuable as XM, but you can surely make a nice buck with it. At least 60 euro. You'd be lucky if it's still in the shop though..

Your kidding me? why is Recordings so exspensive? i had no idea. im gonna sell mine now! on the back it says limited edition of 20,000 copies. thats a lot of copies so why is it worth so much? i just saw on amazon marketplace someone trying to sell it new for over 300£ . on ebay its more like 60£ new but with two days left it will probably go way up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #328 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

I didn't think they were that popular. 20,000 copies for that band seems like normal...you never know though.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #329 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

Porcupine Tree, though innovative and original are still mainstream so I wouldn't be surprised if deadwing for instance sold 4 to 5 times more than let's say ehm ghost reveries...without counting the whole p2p thing.
20k copies for a limited edition of PT is not uber rare but it is limited if you're looking at a band of this magnitude.
Swanö 3:16
hellre en rövare i poolen än en polare i röven
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #330 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Transparent_ View Post
Your kidding me? why is Recordings so exspensive? i had no idea. im gonna sell mine now! on the back it says limited edition of 20,000 copies. thats a lot of copies so why is it worth so much? i just saw on amazon marketplace someone trying to sell it new for over 300£ . on ebay its more like 60£ new but with two days left it will probably go way up.
Well, you're right about that, 20.000 copies isn't that limited in my opinion either, but it just so happens to be that it's sold out and you're simply not gonna get a copy on ebay for less than 60/70 euro. Most PT fans are aware of this, so if they would spot a copy in a shop like you did, they would not know how fast they should get their sticky, sweaty little hands on it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxile View Post
Porcupine Tree, though innovative and original are still mainstream so I wouldn't be surprised if deadwing for instance sold 4 to 5 times more than let's say ehm ghost reveries...
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Opeth are pretty damn big in the meantime.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #331 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Opeth are pretty damn big in the meantime.
maybe you're right...so let's say pre-GR opeth then
I'm sure we all agree opeth weren't that huge before...selling 40k-50k copies of each album in average worldwide.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #332 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

I wouldn't say porcupine is mainstream at all. Ask most people on the street who PT is and they will give you a blank stair. 20,000 copies is a lot.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #333 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Quote:
maybe you're right...so let's say pre-GR opeth then
I'm sure we all agree opeth weren't that huge before...selling 40k-50k copies of each album in average worldwide.
Their big break came with Blackwater Park, but they definitely made another step up (as for popularity) by signing to Roadrunner. PT is now on Roadrunner, so let's see what happens when their new album's released.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #334 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

@ Blueskyeadwing alone sold half a million copies so far, and that's without the additional 5 million people who downloaded it in illegal ways...plus considering the involvment of Steven Wilson in Blackfield and Opeth...I don't think there's truth to your statement...at least by judging the situation in my own country.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #335 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

Quote:
Their big break came with Blackwater Park, but they definitely made another step up (as for popularity) by signing to Roadrunner. PT is now on Roadrunner, so let's see what happens when their new album's released.
Damnation and Deliverence though came out after BWP sold around 40K each while BWP sold around 80K...that's why I said in average...
ghost reveries I'm pretty sure sold more than 300K copies worldwide easy and like I said plus 5 million downloaders.
so yeah I agree with you on that...and I'm not sure if to relate the suddenly huge success of opeth to RR being the bastards they are or to the fact that Ghost Reveries is cosiderably better than their previous albums...after all Mikael had to write and rewrite a lot of the stuff in Damnation and Deliverence when they were already recording.

Last edited by paradoxile : December 9th, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #336 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

neither PT or opeth are "mainstream," they are simply popular with certain groups of people. The average person doesn't know who they are.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #337 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

In Israel PT is considered mainstream rock( you got PT running constantly on mainstream radio here)...Opeth is not but opeth are Metal, which is not mainstream by itself here(small community of less than 10000 people)
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #338 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

I see what you mean but israel is very very very small and secondly steve did something with one of your big pop stars.
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #339 (permalink)
Tone-Deaf
\m/

Recordings are sold for only around 18 euros at a local music store. I should buy it and give away the other
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #340 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

Steven Wilson's Girlfriend lives here...and the pop star you're talking about is Aviv Geffen who was Rock and not pop as long as I could remember myself.
That something you're talking about is Blackfield, which I already mentioned earlier...they enjoy great success in all of europe.
well It's not about the size of the country but the population that matters. we have approx. 7 million citizens and residents...which is only 2 million people less than sweden.
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #341 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

Quote:
Steven Wilson's Girlfriend lives here...and the pop star you're talking about is Aviv Geffen who was Rock and not pop as long as I could remember myself.
That something you're talking about is Blackfield, which I already mentioned earlier...they enjoy great success in all of europe.
well It's not about the size of the country but the population that matters. we have approx. 7 million citizens and residents...which is only 2 million people less than sweden.
Well I didn't think I needed to mention the exact name blackfield since most of us here should know who I was talking about but thanks anyhow...
and pop is an abbreviation for popular.

7 million is a little more then population of the state I live in and there are 50 states in the us. Mainstream is a pretty big picture and I think you fail to see the picture. That would be like me considering PT mainstream just because a lot of people in arizona know of them but the rest of the us doesn't.

anyhow mew point being half a million sales for the PT however impressive that may be, is about the sales in the first week alone of release for some mainstream bands.

what we are arguing about is no biggy but based on facts I don't consider PT mainstream at all.

Last edited by BlueSky : December 9th, 2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #342 (permalink)
paradoxile
Den Sista Ljusbäraren

well I base myself on different facts...if you consider stuff like SOAD,Slipknot,Papa Roach, Korn, Limp Bizkit and all of their copycats plus our beloved emo bands mainstream then I would deffinetly agree with you that PT isn't mainstream.
I don't think mainstream is defined the same everywhere...most of the stuff are the same everywhere but some artists or bands that are considered mainstream in one country, are underground in another...
mainstream is not just record sales...it's also the style of the music.
Perhaps we're both right from our own points of view...and yeah...it's no biggy
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #343 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

ive got a treausre in m pznyt panyts!

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #344 (permalink)
cliffburton615
Irish Pisshead

Classica is a great album. Have the promo lying around here somewhere. Its a hard album to get from what I hear.
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #345 (permalink)
the-great-cold-distance
Throbbing Member

Just got the diSEMBOWELMENT lp boxset yesterday...very nice, Aussie doom pioneers! Anyone else here into them? Quite difficult to track down as well...
Also managed to get my hands on Viva Emptiness, Emperors IX Equilibrium on vinyl. Oh and Suffocations new one on coloured vinyl! AAAAAnd due in the mail this week are MDBs Songs of Darkness, Words of Light, TGCD and Saw You Drown (Blue Vinyl). Oh and Diabolical Masquerades Ravendusk!
I would love to get the Novembre cds as well. Its so freaking hard to track down this stuff in Australia! Grrr...

Last.fm - Recordnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mongler View Post
As for you "great cold distance" take your arrogant "sigh" and shove it up your ass. Thanks.

Last edited by the-great-cold-distance : December 12th, 2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #346 (permalink)
Peachy

Yep, disembowelment is cool.
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #347 (permalink)
Tone-Deaf
\m/

planning to buy something from green carnation, maybe quiet offspring or previous, and maybe give a chance to arcturus, i really got into some of their songs, which of their albums should i buy first???
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #348 (permalink)
Hobo
Señor Member

sham mirrors is the only good Arcturus album, the others (the ones i have heard) ranges from bad to terrible.
weirdly enough, sham mirrors is also one of the best progressive metal albums ever.
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #349 (permalink)
Deliverance6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
sham mirrors is the only good Arcturus album, the others (the ones i have heard) ranges from bad to terrible.
weirdly enough, sham mirrors is also one of the best progressive metal albums ever.
for shame you should say such a thing.....aspera hiems symphonia was fucking awesome for its time.....La masquerade infernale was also quite different and progressive.....Arcturus is a super band as far as members go as well which I find to be cool....

I GOT WAY MORE KATATONIA SHIT THAN YOU!
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #350 (permalink)
Tumn
baptized in blood

<3 Sham Mirrors!