Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #301 (permalink)
Hatefuldanny

Daylight Dies are an awesome band! I agree with who mentioned them before.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM   #302 (permalink)
zeit9569
DMR Radio

Yes Daylight Dies have some similarities with Katatonia but their last album is less like....I will try mar de grises i don't know this band but thanks for the suggestion noctambulant, but only the song u mentioned is similar???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #303 (permalink)
The One You Hate
noise generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeit9569 View Post
Cult of luna....don't know them ....it's similar to Katatonia?
btw! there is a band where some people from CoL play...it's Khoma. And to some extent it resembles Katatonia... in terms of general mood for example... anyway, a great band to check out.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #304 (permalink)
zeit9569
DMR Radio

I checked mar de gries and i like it but mmm don't think similar to Katatonia....But like a said it's good and i like it thanks . I try all suggestions and now i'm going to check Khoma but it is not a progressive or indie rock this band? Don't forget to try Sara it's very good also but don't try the latest album....it's more commercial...
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #305 (permalink)
FlawedCoil82

I haven't gotten to listen to ALL of the bands yet that were suggested. But so far the only band I have liked the sound of is Monokromia. I've also known about Novembre for a while but his voice is nowhere near as good as Jonas. However I would place them at second place behind Monokromia. I already know of Opeth (too much growling), Anathema (too slow), Paradise Lost (not a big fan of the vocalist) and My Dying Bride (again, I don't like the vocalist). I really don't like any of those bands and mostly it's because I don't like the vocals. In my opinion vocals can make or break a band. So far the closest band I can come to to Katatonia is like Tool/A Perfect Circle. It's all about the vocals for me. So if anyone knows of other bands who sound similar to recent Jonas material (with little to no growling and lots of malisma vocal techniques) please tell me about them and I will definitely check them out. It doesn't even have to be rock. I even love Gregorian monk chants to just because I love the melodies in their voices and thats also what I like about the more recent Jonas stuff.
Jack
Within Temptation, Flaw, Tool, Lacuna Coil, The Panic Division, Breaking Benjamin, Katatonia, Red, Evans Blue, A Perfect Circle, Lunatica, Metallica, Evanescence, Silverchair ('94-'01), Bush, Autumn, Stone Temple Pilots, Fair To Midland, Leaves' Eyes, Novus Dae, Cyrenic, Goo Goo Dolls, Type O Negative, Cold, Staind, Era For A Moment, The Birthday Massacre, Absolution Project, Delain, Atomship, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Creed, Linkin Park, 10 Years, Brave, The Smashing Pumpkins and tons more.

Last edited by FlawedCoil82 : October 27th, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #306 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

try opeth's damnation - no growls there.

nor metal for that matter. but still a great dive.

Growls are an aquired taste.. didn't like them either years ago. Took Opeth to change that.
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #307 (permalink)
Illnath

Can't remember If I mentioned these bands before

Just one second, and I was left with nothing.
Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM   #308 (permalink)
Vathek

try
BLATHERSKITE - "Where the Wasteland Ends"
lots of moments of light and darkness, similar to Katatonia but more upbeat.
http://www.myspace.com/blatherskite
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:23 AM   #309 (permalink)
Niurus

Beatrik - the old Katatonia. The album "Requiem of December" rings some bells . I still like them much.

Grey park look the same

All the days are pale

I never thought it would rain this way

I should be knowing that, it used to be me

Old April 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #310 (permalink)
vitaliy

Anlipnes, check out www.myspace.com/anlipnes
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #311 (permalink)
KittyKatatonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
I haven't gotten to listen to ALL of the bands yet that were suggested. But so far the only band I have liked the sound of is Monokromia. I've also known about Novembre for a while but his voice is nowhere near as good as Jonas. However I would place them at second place behind Monokromia. I already know of Opeth (too much growling), Anathema (too slow), Paradise Lost (not a big fan of the vocalist) and My Dying Bride (again, I don't like the vocalist). I really don't like any of those bands and mostly it's because I don't like the vocals. In my opinion vocals can make or break a band. So far the closest band I can come to to Katatonia is like Tool/A Perfect Circle. It's all about the vocals for me. So if anyone knows of other bands who sound similar to recent Jonas material (with little to no growling and lots of malisma vocal techniques) please tell me about them and I will definitely check them out. It doesn't even have to be rock. I even love Gregorian monk chants to just because I love the melodies in their voices and thats also what I like about the more recent Jonas stuff.
Jack
Check out Karnivool. They're not really very Katatonia-ish, but more along the lines of Tool meets Chevelle.

http://www.myspace.com/karnivool
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #312 (permalink)
Bound2Fate

I don't know if they've been mentioned before but I would add Les Discrets....they kinda remind me of Discouraged Ones if it were entirely in French.

Last edited by Bound2Fate : July 24th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM   #313 (permalink)
scorpiozxzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_reply View Post
monokromia,the loveless,rapture,novembre,my dying bride,antimatter,radiohead,
monokromia is goog and so similar to katatonia
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM   #314 (permalink)
scorpiozxzx

monokromia is goog and so similar to katatonia
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #315 (permalink)
Dauthus1973
Nephilim

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #316 (permalink)
Francis Xavier

Lake of Tears -In particular "Headstones" - "Forever Autumn" era, "Crimson Cosmos probably the best of the lot - all Get the two volume "Greatest Tears" compilation.

Novemebre is good. Musically better than Opeth. Agree the vocals (clean) are a little let down, it's hard to know what he is singing - although I usually don't mind the way he sounds.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #317 (permalink)
solothurner

goes into the Anathema /Katatonia direction, but maybe more a kind of shoegaze...

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM   #318 (permalink)
Helge-Uwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthus1973 View Post
yay. what a song.
I'd recommend Dark Suns as well. massive Anathema/Porcupine Tree influences there as well.
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #319 (permalink)
Qth
Treasonous Member

I didnt find any other "pimp-thread" so I'l post it here (even though they dont sound like Katatonia).

The singer is an old friend of mine, maybe not the best vocals but I like the music...

Last.fm

Old June 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #320 (permalink)
Kathaaria

Red House Painters, Anyone?
I mean it's not the closest you can get to Katatonia alike but then again Katatonia are truly one of a kind band..Katatonia alike are few and far between if any.
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #321 (permalink)
HippieOfDoom
The 13th Monkey

Soen!
www.myspace.com/soenmusic

SDG
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #322 (permalink)
Pelata
Dr. Extremus Melodicus

Pandora just followed up a new Katatonia song (from NITND) with "Change" by Deftones...I am surprised by how bleak and depressing this song is...may have to look into this album (White Pony)...
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #323 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

White Pony is their best record, but also anything post that is worth checking out.

Here's some standout dark atmospheric tracks to get you started:

Last edited by BlueSky : July 5th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #324 (permalink)
LORD DARKSOUL
Welcum 2 my funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
White Pony is their best record, but also anything post that is worth checking out.
Agreed. Saturday Night Wrist is actually my favorite Deftones record (with White Pony coming in at a close second). It's very Katatonia-esque:

Old July 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #325 (permalink)
Pelata
Dr. Extremus Melodicus

Thanks guys!!!