Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #76 (permalink)
Belligerent
Greekus Urungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDepraved View Post
Exhorder.

After they did all their glam albums in the 80's Phil brought a demo of Exhorder over to the guys and they digged the sound. So they stripped it down and put their own ack to it and called it cowboyz from hell...from then on they kept doing it. Exhorder put out 2 very well done Thrash albums, but sadly gotten no where. Still a very respected band though.

I know in many peoples eyes and in their ears they love Pantera and Dimebag to death (some more than others, and some just because it's trendy) but I don't at all. I never thought they were innovative or nothing. I found Dimebags riffs to be boring and plain. He used the whammy way too much and kills the pinch harmonic. They are for some people...not for I. They are nothing special in my book and I will not praise them just because the guitarist died. It sucks as in all deaths, but it won't get me to do something I don't want to.
To each their own bro...to each their own
but Pantera OWNS katatonia overall, dont get me wrong I love Katatonia but as far as metal goes they are not metal. Just a great depressive doom band.
Im not going to try to change your mind or anything about dime...i was just stating my opinion
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #77 (permalink)
the mourner13
bah!

How can you compare Pantera to Katatonia and say that Pantera OWNZ Katatonia overall??If you say Pantera owns Lamb of God I can understand the statement...But this one,it has no point at all...(btw Lamb of God>Pantera)
I cut my lungs out, I need a fix,
You're my puzzle and my pieces fit
Cos everything and everyone is old.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #78 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

Phil Anselmo's vocals are tired and boring. I don't care how good of a musician Dimebag was, and Vinnie is, Pantera became boring after Trendkill. It always seemed like they played the same songs over and over again.
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #79 (permalink)
no_reply
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mourner13 View Post
How can you compare Pantera to Katatonia and say that Pantera OWNZ Katatonia overall??If you say Pantera owns Lamb of God I can understand the statement...But this one,it has no point at all...(btw Lamb of God>Pantera)
i dont like you anymore tuna
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #80 (permalink)
chrisdoig24k
Boom King

I'll just add my two cents by saying 'Pantera bore me to tears'
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #81 (permalink)
Belligerent
Greekus Urungus

You guys arent understanding this...
Life Depraved called Pantera a bunch of drunken rednecks and I was sticking up for them because they still are one of my favorite bands.
But sticking up for Pantera on a Katatonia forum was my first mistake because no one will take my side. Whatever,
.......pantera was the first band that got me into metal, so they are special to me, thats all
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #82 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cináed

and now back to bands like katatonia, cause that's much more interesting than arguing the merits of pantera...

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #83 (permalink)
Belligerent
Greekus Urungus

We should get on the: Fear Of A Blank Planet-Porcupine Tree : topic

Amazing...just amazing you guys gotta hear it
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #84 (permalink)
the mourner13
bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_reply View Post
i dont like you anymore tuna
Nah I was just jokingI like Pantera more...
I cut my lungs out, I need a fix,
You're my puzzle and my pieces fit
Cos everything and everyone is old.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #85 (permalink)
Sinne

Hm.. Tiamat sometimes sounds like Katatonia. Anathema too. But neither of these bands can get even close to the musical/lyrical side of Katatonia. Katatonia is the best.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #86 (permalink)
Misere Nobis

Is there a place where I can download the whole Monokromia album/demo? I don't know what to think of their music judging from these songs (beside the fact they are obviously a 1:1 rip off :P).
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #87 (permalink)
Sinne

Yeah, they're rip-off but they're interesting.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #88 (permalink)
Misere Nobis

Yeah, someone mentioned it before, they sound a lot like Katatonia on TD. I don't expect too much but maybe it's nice listen a few times.
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #89 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

Passage: http://www.myspace.com/doompassage

For fans of Katatonia and Doom with clean vocals.

Good stuff.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #90 (permalink)
Rock Metal Machine

I don't know Monokromia...I will check for this band right now!!
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #91 (permalink)
i aint play this

A Perfect Circle is definetely the most similar band to newer Katatonia
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #92 (permalink)
My Hearse Your Arms
despondency

call me crazy... but sometimes Tool reminds me a bit of Katatonia
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #93 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

I get the idea that Tool is a influence on Katatonia...it's obvious.

Awesome influence nonetheless.
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #94 (permalink)
i aint play this

Yup. Tool dominates(even though 10.000 days had some filler). There's an annoying current trend of prog snobs and elitist faggots bashing them, and being a prog fan myself, i can safely say that Tool shits on most prog bands, imo they are far from being as good as Rush or King Crimson, but still a great, great band.
A Perfect Circle is another influence, and i hear a lot of similarities...like spacey Cure-esque guitars, tight hard rocking riffs, atmospheric guitar leads, passionate vocals, personal lyrics, etc.
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #95 (permalink)
My Hearse Your Arms
despondency

Quote:
Originally Posted by i aint play this View Post
Yup. Tool dominates(even though 10.000 days had some filler). There's an annoying current trend of prog snobs and elitist faggots bashing them, and being a prog fan myself, i can safely say that Tool shits on most prog bands, imo they are far from being as good as Rush or King Crimson, but still a great, great band.
A Perfect Circle is another influence, and i hear a lot of similarities...like spacey Cure-esque guitars, tight hard rocking riffs, atmospheric guitar leads, passionate vocals, personal lyrics, etc.
I actually think 10,000 days is brilliant from start to finish.. Oh well, to each his own... Yeah I used to be wayyyy into prog... Dream Theater, Symphony X... To me 'prog' is being too compartmentalized... Rapid guitar solos, cheesy lyrics, high pitched operatic vocals, being ultra technical for no reason whatsoever... i think the genre should have a broader meaning except for making every measure a different time signature... Tool does this... bands like Opeth, pain of salvation, even newer katatonia are redefining 'prog' as we know it... who knows before long prog wont be a shameful name in the metal genre
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #96 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

Heh guess I missed some heated discussions here

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #97 (permalink)
i aint play this

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Hearse Your Arms View Post
I actually think 10,000 days is brilliant from start to finish.. Oh well, to each his own... Yeah I used to be wayyyy into prog... Dream Theater, Symphony X... To me 'prog' is being too compartmentalized... Rapid guitar solos, cheesy lyrics, high pitched operatic vocals, being ultra technical for no reason whatsoever... i think the genre should have a broader meaning except for making every measure a different time signature... Tool does this... bands like Opeth, pain of salvation, even newer katatonia are redefining 'prog' as we know it... who knows before long prog wont be a shameful name in the metal genre
lol i actually fucking hate happy go lucky nerdy prog metal wankery like Shitphony x, as well as old prog nonsense...it all sounds the fucking same, with a few exceptions. Emotion & good songwriting are essencial to create good music. period.
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #98 (permalink)
My Hearse Your Arms
despondency

Quote:
Originally Posted by i aint play this View Post
lol i actually fucking hate happy go lucky nerdy prog metal wankery like Shitphony x, as well as old prog nonsense...it all sounds the fucking same, with a few exceptions. Emotion & good songwriting are essencial to create good music. period.
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #99 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

The problem with Tool is that they are possibly the most overrated band ever, while still being quite good

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #100 (permalink)
shal

I put special emphasis on Jonas Renske and Fredrik Norrman's side project "October Tide here". The album "Rain Without End" is Renske's magnum opus as far as i'm concerened. Their 2nd and final album "Grey Dawn" is good too, but a bit harsher, not nearly as great and Rain Without End.
If you detest Katatonia's old stuff like Dance of December Souls, and Brave murder day, then don't bother with October tide. But if you DO like their older stuff, then you will find some real treasures here. Good luck trying to get a copy. Those that have one very rarely put them on ebay. I paid almost $100 for my copy a couple years ago. There are some places online where you can pay to download it.

Last edited by shal : April 15th, 2007 at 08:03 AM.