Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Saw_You_Drown

Katatonia cover songs

How many songs were put onto their albums that katatonia covered?

I know of nightmares by the sea. and am pretty sure there are others too.

thanx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

That's really all I can think of too.

I don't think they released any other covers on any of their albums...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 11th, 2002, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
ether
°°§°°

They covered "Oh, How I enjoy the light" by Will Oldham ( Palace Music).

"En fågel sjunger inte för att den har några frågor eller svar, en fågel sjunger för att den har en sång.”
Old June 11th, 2002, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
_Transparent_

thats all, to my knowledge.

lets look at them seperatly:

DODS: hmm, for those who dont know why Tomb Of Insomnia lyrics arent in the booklet its not because its a cover, but as most/some of the lyrics were done in the studio whilst recording, they werent put down as Jonas i believe wasnt intirely happy with them, being done on the spot and all.

BMD: none
DO: none
TD: nightmares by the sea - jeff buckley. i love this song but its a wierd choice as this was an unfinished Jeff Buckley song, thats why there are 2 versions on the Jeff album, if you've heard them you'll notice that it seems patchy and incomplete, now i think of it im glad, no happy that Katatonia in a way 'finished'/'completed' this song in a way, especially the way they go back into the chorus after ''stay with me under these waves tonight...'' the Jeff version just doesnt feel right, i think it was pieced together or something as it lacks some sort of feeling, i dunno.

LFDGD: none
new album: i dont see why the need to have a cover song...i mean Katatonias lyrics and songs are better than anything anyway.
Old June 11th, 2002, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
elric
crunchy frog

still, transparent, i must say i enjoy hearing bands do covers... i think a cover every cd or 3 is just a neat little thing... so i wouldn't mind if katatonia decided to throw on something on the next cd, but i also wouldn't be heartbroken if they didnt... nice pointless post, i know :P
Old June 12th, 2002, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Don Corleone
Emre

it's true katatonia does nightmares by the sea better than jeff buckley. well, after all the song on his album isnt finished at all.
Old June 12th, 2002, 04:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
_Transparent_

yeah it wasnt finished as he died, pretty blunt. if you go to his site you can see they don't even have all the lyrics for the album etc. still, the first 7 songs are brilliant anyway, especially Yard Of Blonde girls.

Quote:
i must say i enjoy hearing bands do covers... i think a cover every cd or 3 is just a neat little thing...
yeah, i agree, but i think they've got it right having the latest one on a single, thats where they belong, i like to see alternative takes on songs (Behemoth covering David Bowie - Hello Space boy, for example. if you dont have this then download it or something, its great and hilarious at the same time)

at the end of the day id prefer to hear a katatonia song than a cover, BUT i love the nightmares by the sea cover a lot, so i dunno, just have them on singles, nightmares...fits perfectly on TD though, i can't believe Jonas didn't write it
Old June 12th, 2002, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Saw_You_Drown

how about "dont tell a soul" is that an original?
Old June 12th, 2002, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
_Transparent_

why do you think its not? have you some inside info?

as far as i remember from looking in the album sleeve, well whatever you call that thingy its not, i will check though...
Old June 13th, 2002, 06:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Don Corleone
Emre

well the case with dont tell a soul is that jonas only got a portion of the lyrics from -will oldham. you know where he says "...that i heard someone say 'when you have no one, no one can hurt you'"? well eventually, that someone jonas refers to is will oldham. he has a song like that.
Old June 13th, 2002, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Saw_You_Drown

yeah thats where i was confused thanx for clearing that up for me
Old June 13th, 2002, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
thedyingbride
Diabolical Masquerade

Quote:
Originally posted by Saw_You_Drown
how about "dont tell a soul" is that an original?
it's not?
but the simple word "love" itself
already died and went away
This was never my world
you took the angel away
I'd kill myself to make everybody pay

-== In your mind Im the end of it all ==-
Old June 15th, 2002, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
LoboUivante
my tummy hurts

Quote:
Originally posted by _Transparent_

TD: nightmares by the sea - jeff buckley. i love this song but its a wierd choice as this was an unfinished Jeff Buckley song, thats why there are 2 versions on the Jeff album, if you've heard them you'll notice that it seems patchy and incomplete, now i think of it im glad, no happy that Katatonia in a way 'finished'/'completed' this song in a way, especially the way they go back into the chorus after ''stay with me under these waves tonight...'' the Jeff version just doesnt feel right, i think it was pieced together or something as it lacks some sort of feeling, i dunno.

anyway.
The song sounds good to me, Jeff Buckley is good.

I cannot reach the end

->> joel nachio <<-

*challenge you not to press here*

disclaimer: this is not a subliminal message
Old June 17th, 2002, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
_Transparent_

oh yeah, if your wondering if anyones actualy covered Katatonia 'Forest Of Shadows' cover RAINROOM. its a decent cover, nothing special but still good.
Old June 18th, 2002, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
the_joy_of_grief
weak light

Now that I think about it...I know a bunch of covers without having heard the originals. For example, "Oh how I enjoy the light". Sounds great...

But to be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing covers of songs that once were popular. Wherever I go I hear shitty techno versions of songs from the 80s. There are at least 5 covers of "Rock Me Amadeus" "Enjoy the silence" by Depeche Mode is a really good song but Entwines version is total manure. And Tiamats version of "Sympathy with the devil" is sooo boring. Exceptions like In Flames version of "Everything counts" prove the rule. Just my opinion.

Old June 18th, 2002, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hobo
Señor Member

i must agree with you... although i think canibal corpse album graveyard clasicks is f**king briliant...
who can resist a smile when Chris Barnes sings hendrix...
Old June 18th, 2002, 12:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Klemi
Laconic Soul

Quote:
Originally posted by the_joy_of_grief

But to be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing covers of songs that once were popular
Yep, I agree, especially when band makes a cover purely for financial success. Best covers are those, which are chosen on the basis of personal likings. Also one-to-one copying is not advisable, and maybe that's why those CC-made covers kick so much ass! Also Peaceville's X is a very good example for great cover songs (MDB's "Roads" and "One Velvet Morning"... I love those songs...)
Old June 18th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ichor
Stingaaa

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobo
i must agree with you... although i think canibal corpse album graveyard clasicks is f**king briliant...
who can resist a smile when Chris Barnes sings hendrix...
only to correct.... six feet under did the graveyard classics

Gerechtigkeit hat mich dem Nichts entrissen;"

- Dante -
Old June 19th, 2002, 02:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hobo
Señor Member

My bad..... *bashes head into the wall*
Old June 19th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Quote:
Originally posted by _Transparent_
DODS: hmm, for those who dont know why Tomb Of Insomnia lyrics arent in the booklet its not because its a cover, but as most/some of the lyrics were done in the studio whilst recording, they werent put down as Jonas i believe wasnt intirely happy with them, being done on the spot and all.
I thought it was an error in the booklet, cause some part of the lyrics of one song is printed on the wrong page in the booklet, wasn't it? Knew there was something, can't remember what exactly...

By the way, anyone know what "Drynhwyl" is?
Old June 20th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
ChromeLife
askew

Katatonia covering bowie would rock.. and Nightmares by the Sea was perfect for them..

·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
"´¨`·.¸¸.*PRINCESS*.¸¸.·¨`"
(¸.· '´(¸.·'´ `'·.¸)`'·.¸) ....!!
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Don Corleone
Emre

Quote:
Originally posted by the_joy_of_grief
Now that I think about it...I know a bunch of covers without having heard the originals. For example, "Oh how I enjoy the light". Sounds great...

But to be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing covers of songs that once were popular. Wherever I go I hear shitty techno versions of songs from the 80s. There are at least 5 covers of "Rock Me Amadeus" "Enjoy the silence" by Depeche Mode is a really good song but Entwines version is total manure. And Tiamats version of "Sympathy with the devil" is sooo boring. Exceptions like In Flames version of "Everything counts" prove the rule. Just my opinion.

everything counts is a plain amazing cover.
Old June 24th, 2002, 01:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
ether
°°§°°

I just realized today that the way Jonas sings on "Nightmares by the sea" is simply amazing! I have to say that their cover songs are better than the original ones!

"En fågel sjunger inte för att den har några frågor eller svar, en fågel sjunger för att den har en sång.”