Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM   #301 (permalink)
Bleak Eyes
Irrelevant

I do not see how Steven would help a Katatonia album. They seem to do well enough themselves.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM   #302 (permalink)
affinityband

if wilson took the production chair they would be bigger than lacuna coil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM   #303 (permalink)
OminousInane
Like Glass...

It would definetly bring A LOT more attention Katatonia's way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #304 (permalink)
daimonion

This seems about right. Anders or Jonas mentioned that they had been considering doing something in the vain of Unfurl, and that particular song has some of that dreamy sound that Steven Wilson seem to enjoy.

If Katatonia are going in a new direction - witch it seems that they will - this could very well work. I don't think SW could have made TGCD better, but maybe this Unfurly album possibillity would work with him.
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM   #305 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

I wouldn't want a full calm album though. A couple of songs like Unfurl would be cool, but I really prefer heavier stuff.

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM   #306 (permalink)
OminousInane
Like Glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan86 View Post
I wouldn't want a full calm album though. A couple of songs like Unfurl would be cool, but I really prefer heavier stuff.
Me too, it would be too much of a departure. You have to imagine they will have at least a couple calm tunes like Unfurl though. Seeing that everyones reaction to that song was insanely positive. The fact that Jonas says he doesn't like that song probably means they won't go all out in that direction.
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM   #307 (permalink)
daimonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousInane View Post
The fact that Jonas says he doesn't like that song probably means they won't go all out in that direction.
Really? He even made it.
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM   #308 (permalink)
OminousInane
Like Glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonion View Post
Really? He even made it.
I know but on this forum I believe, he said that he doesn't understand why everyone thinks Unfurl is so amazing (he's crazy ).
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:05 PM   #309 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

That's crazy considering how good the song is, but positive in terms of the next album's direction

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM   #310 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Cool interview, I said it before in this thread, but I think Wilson + Katatonia is AT LEAST a very interesting combination, I would support this collaboration 100%. I would love to hear some experimental Katatonia stuff. And I'm absolutely sure Katatonia would not let Wilson send them in a direction they don't want to go and I'm also sure Wilson wouldn't want to touch Katatonia's indentity, he's a fan of the band himself.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM   #311 (permalink)
Kitiini

Im have a bit negative feelings about Steven Wilson coming as the producer like I have said before at that one thread where we discussed about his work with Opeth. But definetly I'd like some songs like Unfurl since I like that song so fucking much, prolly my favourite atm. Im kinda sure (eventho cant never be totally sure) that Katatonia's next album will be very heavy oriented with some calmer additions.

Well we can never know for sure, I guess theres nothing more we can do than just guessing what it will be like until it really comes out. Man Im hungry for some new Katatonia!!
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM   #312 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Yeah, nobody should worry about mr. Wilson producing a Katatonia album, 'cause a producer is only there to get the band's best performance... and in the "worst" case he comes with ideas about the music, but the band obviously has the right of veto over that. So it can really only turn out more positive/productive etc.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM   #313 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Exactemundo sir!
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM   #314 (permalink)
OminousInane
Like Glass...

Vincent nailed it on the head. Waiting for records you really care about is such a drag lol, at least until all the secrets start to come out.
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM   #315 (permalink)
Bleak Eyes
Irrelevant

As long as he only produces and does not do vocals like he did on every Opeth album that he produced. I love Steven's work; I just really would not want to hear his voice in Katatonia.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM   #316 (permalink)
daimonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak Eyes View Post
As long as he only produces and does not do vocals like he did on every Opeth album that he produced. I love Steven's work; I just really would not want to hear his voice in Katatonia.
Uuuh, what a horrible thought, actually. And i like his voice, but it would be just soo wrong on a Katatonia album.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM   #317 (permalink)
Sdob

Yeah, Wilson better not sing a note haha.
It would definitely not flow well with Katatonia.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM   #318 (permalink)
OminousInane
Like Glass...

Unless he does harsh vocals, that would own haha j/k
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM   #319 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Even if he would sing, I wouldn't say it would not fit per se. And he doesn't sing on every release he produces, so no reason to assume he would on a Katatonia album.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:04 AM   #320 (permalink)
Luce
Dreaming Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent J. View Post
Yeah, nobody should worry about mr. Wilson producing a Katatonia album, 'cause a producer is only there to get the band's best performance... and in the "worst" case he comes with ideas about the music, but the band obviously has the right of veto over that. So it can really only turn out more positive/productive etc.
that's true i think that he has always done a good job with opeth, so i want to be positive about the new realase..i think he will never going to change their musical direction maybe increase it!!!it all dipends but their ideas, so i think it could be a good direction only i still hoping as you that they wouldn't do a LP full of Unfurl, what makes the last album so good for me was the right balance between heavy pieces and melodic stuffs, so i really hope they still to walk in that direction!

Jag vill vara en fågel för fluga bort från här
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #321 (permalink)
Vincent J.

I really can take any change. I even applaud BIG changes. For example an album full of Unfurl kind of stuff. As long as it is put together nicely and it isn't the same song over and over.
I'm not saying it's likely that this is going to happen, but I'm saying that I like it when a band dares to take a (big) turn in their music to keep it original. It can't go wrong as long as it is a heartfelt turn, and Katatonia are really writing heartfelt music, so that'll be alright
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM   #322 (permalink)
off_beat

I agree with Vincent. How about a cvlt experimental mellow/ambient album that noone will know where it came from and where it will go? No past and no future, just a mysterious 5-6-tracked EP, in their discographys middle of nowhere with controversal criticisms and only few comments about it from the band. And one year later another full release TGCD style (heavier easier and mainstream-ier).
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM   #323 (permalink)
InsaneKat
Last Chance To Evacuate..

I think Steven Wilson does great work. SW producing a Katatonia album would be quite awesome, but I'm sure it'd be awesome anyways, though him being the producer might just be a bonus. Either way I can't wait.

As for him producing a Tool album I'd like to see that too since I'm a huge Tool fan but I don't see it happening either.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #324 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

I've never seen the point in Tool (well, my GF got me into Vicarious but that's the only song really) and Wilson probably couldn't change that.

I don't care who produces katas next effort, I just want it xD
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #325 (permalink)
daimonion

Vicarious is almost the definition of Tool stylewise. So you should very well be able to enjoy most of their stuff.