Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Bleak Eyes
Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
Yeah, they're already recording the album actually, they post video updates from the studio every week, they've been working on it since December or something. And despite the fact that it's gonna be without Layne obviously, I'm still curious and hopeful about the result.
I heard the new guy when they first brought him in and he was alright. He had too much of a southern tinge from what I remember. But yeah, Layne was incredible and Jerry has great vocals as well. I am very interested in hearing what they put out.
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
So Paradise Lost say this next album will be heavier? What a surprise... I think thats been the story for the past 3 albums.
So? They kept their word, each album was indeed heavier than the previous one. In Requiem was awesome, so I have good hopes for the new one, especially since they're recording @ Fascination Street, so soundwise it should crush as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Peachy

As far as I'm concerned they've reinvented themselves enough and I'd prefer they don't do so again on this record.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Skaldir
formerly known as Unicorn

There has been one awesome release for me so far.

EREB ALTOR - By Honour

from Sweden playing music just like Bathorys epic albums. I never thought anybody would manage to sound like Bathory, but they have proven me wrong.
Abscession

my studio:
Kalthallen

--> Kalthallen Cabs - New MesOs 4x12 IR library out! <--
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
MiniMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
So? They kept their word, each album was indeed heavier than the previous one. In Requiem was awesome, so I have good hopes for the new one, especially since they're recording @ Fascination Street, so soundwise it should crush as well.
The whole heavier stuff makes me just sad. I didn't like In Requiem very much. It's not bad, but it's only ok+. It's just another back to roots album which is a pain in the ass, because I've got the old PL albums and don't need a new one sounding like the older ones with a tiny bit of new in it. If Katatonia does this, I'm going to snap. I don't believe they will, cause I seem to remember that they said something somewhere about not wanting to fall into that trap. (huzzah!)

MDB also did it on their last album..fucking stop it! Heavier doesn't mean shit if they don't evolve or try SOMETHING new..not talking about reinventing their sound, just experiment a bit...well, that's my so very strong opinion at this time of night. I guess I'm sounding more angry than I really am right now..but I'm just tired of fans screaming for "oh, I hope Nick goes back to growling again..that will be so cool" Focus on good song writing..and try for gods sake to do something a bit new..and yes, grow up. Let the younger teen angst bands growl it out. I just don't believe in 40 year old guys having THAT kind of darkness within when you've been THAT successful for so long...oh..here I go again. I'll go to bed now.

Got the cd 12.11.09. Happy now...not sure what I think yet. If it's Good, Great or Super duper great.

Last edited by MiniMoose : February 13th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

The Paradise Lost disc to me falls under decent. It's heavy and well written but definitely lacks the passion and feeling of the 90-95 era albums.

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #32 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

I also prefer bands that develop and try new things, but as for Paradise Lost, I liked their development from the first albums to Icon/Draconian Times and I can even appreciate One Second, but I never got into the albums after One Second. Host, Believe in Nothing and Symbol of Life did nothing for me. The self-titled album was a step in the right direction again and I absolutely loved In Requiem. In a way what they did there could be called surprising and new cause I considered Paradise Lost kinda 'lost' for me and never in my life expected them to deliver an album like In Requiem again. And as said, now that they're recording at Fascination Street, we're surely gonna have an amazingly sounding album and I'm pretty confident about their songwriting skills as well.

And everything else aside, I ALWAYS prefer a good 'unoriginal' album over a forced 'original/new' album.
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

On the good unoriginal album thing I agree for sure. But I do feel that In Requiem's heaviness was kinda forced rather than natural. Didn't even the band say that the heaviness was "for the fans" in some interview if I remember right? I suppose I just don't really feel it the way I felt Draconian Times. It's more a catchy album than something I'd take totally serious.

Old February 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
M3

In Requiem has really grown on me as of late. I'm looking forward to the new one, but I wish they would forsake the heaviness next time in favor of something more experimental in the vein of Symbol Of Life and Host; not simply to rehash older albums, but to push the envelope and do something innovative.
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Clayman77
Katatoned

In Requiem is the best PL album since Host, but obviously not nearly as brilliant as Icon and co. But anyways, my hopes for new PL album is high. In Requiem showed that Greg can still write damn good music.

2009 so far hasn't been very good when it comes to new albums, but there should be loads of great albums coming this year, like new PL, Anathema, etc (and hopefully also new K album). First great one, Callisto's Providence, is gonna be released 18th Feb:

http://www.myspace.com/callistochaos

my thoughts redefined
how cold is the flame
of our uncompromising future
how cold is the sun
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
ZomgMetal
ZomgMetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfeind View Post
Giant Squid's new album The Ichthyologist is really good and I have no doubt it'll end up in my top 5 by year's end. Here's a review of the album for those interested -

http://www.metalreview.com/Reviews/4...px?Expand=True

You can also check out their myspace for a few tracks from the album.
they arent big enough, although that album is amazing
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #37 (permalink)
Peachy

I may have to get that just because of the title.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
kingpersnake

My DYing Bride is coming soon .
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #39 (permalink)
sadistik necrofiend
Furby goes nanners

I heard a few songs from the new MONO album and I already have chills about it.
It sounds really great so far.

I would also recommend checking out the new Absu album. It fucking kills!!!!!!
Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic! If static our hopes are in vain; if kinetic — and this we know it is, for certain — then it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature.

-Nikola Tesla
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #40 (permalink)
Soundjunkie
baller

so apparently the new mastodon album is out there floating about. anyone heard it yet?
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

The Mastodon one is a rip without the last track right? I'm waiting for some retail-ish. Will be interesting to hear though. Apparently the new songs seem more rock-ish. Could suit Mastodon well since I mostly listen to them for adrenaline reasons anyway.

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #42 (permalink)
Katatonic89

I downloaded the latest Mastodon without the last track. I did not like it at all and hearing the last song is not going to change that. The guy who does the aggressive vocals only appears on one song. It lacks the cool heavy riffs that made me like Mastodon, they sound more progrock-ish than before.

I haven't liked a single 2009 release so far but it's a promising year. The Mono album does nothing for me, same old post-rock clichés. Im looking forward to Agalloch (I guess it will be released this year), Katatonia (hopefully), Dream Theater, Abigail's Ghost, Porcupine Tree, My Dying Bride and Anathema, I probably forgot some.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonic89 View Post
I downloaded the latest Mastodon without the last track. I did not like it at all and hearing the last song is not going to change that. The guy who does the aggressive vocals only appears on one song. It lacks the cool heavy riffs that made me like Mastodon, they sound more progrock-ish than before.

I haven't liked a single 2009 release so far but it's a promising year. The Mono album does nothing for me, same old post-rock clichés. Im looking forward to Agalloch (I guess it will be released this year), Katatonia (hopefully), Dream Theater, Abigail's Ghost, Porcupine Tree, My Dying Bride and Anathema, I probably forgot some.
Where did you hear about Agalloch?

I find that hard to believe since they take a solid 5 years on each album haha.
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
Katatonic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix5 View Post
Where did you hear about Agalloch?

I find that hard to believe since they take a solid 5 years on each album haha.
"We are also working on our 4th full-length album. As for which label will release this album, we have received several offers ranging from the ridiculous to the very interesting. We are currently in discussion with a couple select labels. However, it is likely that no decision will be made until 2009."

From their myspace.
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #45 (permalink)
insidethefall
somewhere nowhere

man, Paradise Lost! I don't hear the old sound in "In Requiem" it's too accessible, even if you compare it to draconian times. It's just missing that perfect goth rock/ heavy metal mixture. And the songs sound uninspired, I tried to get into it but I would rather just throw on draconian times where there's passion in the songwriting - yet another band who should quit.

Anathema is actually regaining my interest with hindsight and that angels walk among us song, I'm crossing my fingers

MDB should quit or just tour playing thier old stuff

Katatonia is still fucking amazing

Amorphis - hope the new album is more interesting than the last one

Agalloch - best band going?
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #46 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonic89 View Post
"We are also working on our 4th full-length album. As for which label will release this album, we have received several offers ranging from the ridiculous to the very interesting. We are currently in discussion with a couple select labels. However, it is likely that no decision will be made until 2009."

From their myspace.
Ahh, awesome. I never really look at anything on myspace.

Thanks for the info!
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
Phoenix5
d3v4s7a710n

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethefall View Post
Amorphis - hope the new album is more interesting than the last one
Silent Waters was fucking awesome!
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
Fyacin

I think someone else mentioned this, but Time (Wintersun) might finally be out this year... Or at least we can hope lol.

New Mastodon sounds pretty interesting. I like proggy stuff, and the lighter moments of Blood Mountain were better IMO, so the new one sounds pretty sweet.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

Of my weaknesses I'm desperately aware. Do I even dare to repent again? Why (would you) endure the pain?
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #49 (permalink)
hauntedinflames

has anyone seen the work in progress of Time's artwork? It's kinda Stratovariousy
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
insidethefall
somewhere nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix5 View Post
Silent Waters was fucking awesome!
I really want to like the album, it's way more complex than Eclipse and seems like they've worked harder on it. But I don't know, I am just not thrilled about the songs like I was with Eclipse - I'm hoping the new one will be a solid mixture of the two.