Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Heliotropic_Rose
in the soil beneath

Of course, strong economic stability does allow for these things. Yeah, i'm it's pretty much the western world, not argument there, and the US did have Hendrix, the who, the doors, and many more. Just out of all those bands from that era, I personally prefer europe/uk mostly, just because of Pink Floyd, i mean i like the doors and hendrix, but Floyd is the best band ever in my opinion. I don't even care for Zepplin or Sabbath that much, just not into the style *shrugs*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Kitiini

Finland did have Hurriganes!
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Illnath

Blazing Eternity - Old Katatonia sound

Blazing Eternity - Clean vocals Katatonia sound

Saturnus - Murky waters...not really a Katatonia sounding band...but the music in this this song does have some Katatonia in it

Just one second, and I was left with nothing.
Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
L0bster
OneTwo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Lastly I'm not even going to argue. Since the good ol' rock n' roll days we have been leading the way. The only other nation that comes close is England bucko. Fact.
Most of my favorite acts are American or English, but what's with that attitude. Its not like it is a battle. "We have been leading the way". I usually don't refer to bands of the swedish music-scene as "WE".

Last edited by L0bster : March 4th, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

It wasn't my intent to get all gung ho. I used "we" simply because haunted is also American, which means he too is a part of the culture. Mainly I'm just giving credit where credits due that's all.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
hauntedinflames

credit is due everywhere honestly
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pastor Digger
Soul saved for $6.66

Americans (which are mostly made up of European varieties for the white people, and other races of various nations) have brought forth many great acts through the last 50 years. But we all live on the same piece of land with some big puddles of water "dividing" continents.

It's noteable that Finland is producing many great melodic metal acts these days though. Sweden has rocked heavy for a long time, producing some of my favorite acts of all time! Norway has too in the extreme metal department. Germany does great with the Electronic stuff (whether heavy or not). America is leading with the Pop and Hip Hop commercial stuff (my apologies about some of this stuff people!), but still has many legendary rock/metal bands that have influenced many around the world. Italy has left a strong mark on the world with Opera. Denmark with "Aqua"! heheh. On and on it goes.

Some of us look, act, behave, and talk different depending on what tribe and location we live on this one big land mass called earth. Some tribes are more skilled at different things than others. We're all equal in some ways and not in others.

Saying this, the European Tribes which probably includes 90% or more of all of us on this forum (whether born/transferred to North America/Australia/New Zealand/South Africa etc.. or born and still living in Europe), have produced an INCREDIBLE volume of great music! I'm not discounting other darker skinned tribes of the world by saying this though, as there are also some legends among them too.

My Sermon for the day.

Last edited by Pastor Digger : March 5th, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
valafar

Hi all!
This is something from Mexico.

There's one free EP from one of my projects back in 2005.
You can get it here.

http://coldinside.fileburst.com/made...ep%29_2009.zip

We all agree that Katatonia is quite unique, but well, this stuff was written all inspired in them.
The 3rd song resembles katatonia a lot, with an electronic, industrial touch.

Hope you like it.

Thank you.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Skaldir
formerly known as Unicorn

Man, you didn't post for three years.
Abscession

my studio:
Kalthallen

--> Kalthallen Cabs - New MesOs 4x12 IR library out! <--
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
valafar

Talking

hahahaha hey Unicorn!!

Glad to seee you!!

Yeah, I was quite hidden

I was traveling a lot and now I'm quite settled and back in the forums
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotropic_Rose View Post
I'm from America and I wouldn't say there is a definitive place that rocks out with the best bands, or well at least for me it's a tie between America, England and Sweden, but BlueSky is wrong in saying that we (america) started it all.......Buddy Holly and Elvis don't count. Britain had all the originators, and for me, truely psychadellic and progressive music started with bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson.

Anyone check out these bands. No one ever does, but these two american bands (that are broke up now) are easily in my top 10 bands.

Failure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER1vI...ext=1&index=19

HUM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPtDuXNQfgc

i seriously think everyone should buy HUM's "you'd prefer an astronaut" Cd and Failure's "Fantastic Planet" great spacey stuff.

here's a band from Portugal that i've been listening to a lot lately.

Saturnia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUGw5IYt0io
Dude, I love this post!
Great bands I've never heard of before
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
hauntedinflames

failure does deserve more recognition, but never really got into HUM for some reason. Saturnia is also worth checking out, so yeah that was a really good post
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
Heliotropic_Rose
in the soil beneath

I'm just glad you guys actually checked those three bands out, Saturnia is great, hard band to come by though. I only have one of their cd's, Muzik, which is their newest one, but you can check out more of their songs on youtube and myspace.
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
tagradh

Er, from what my eyes and the Firefox search tool can tell... Anathema haven't been mentioned.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
Heliotropic_Rose
in the soil beneath

yeah, but what's the point of that? Who here hasn't heard of Anathema? they're mentioned all the time on this forum, opeth's and Swano's
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent J. View Post
Dude, I love this post!
Great bands I've never heard of before
That hum song was pretty big in America at least for a bit. If you listen to A Perfect Circle you've prolly heard their cover of Failure's, "The Nurse Who Loved Me." Plus Troy from their first cd was in Failure, and he's now in Queens of the Stone Age.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #42 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
That hum song was pretty big in America at least for a bit. If you listen to A Perfect Circle you've prolly heard their cover of Failure's, "The Nurse Who Loved Me." Plus Troy from their first cd was in Failure, and he's now in Queens of the Stone Age.
Ah, that's well deserved then.
Yeah I hardly even knew The Nurse Who Loved Me was a cover, so I was pretty surprised to hear that song from Failure while going through youtube.
Good stuff
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
EternityRites
~Vail~

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #44 (permalink)
Kitiini

lol I had no idea that The Nurse Who Loved Me was a cover song :O now when Im listening the Failure's version, I must say that the APC's version is slightly better but the original is a great song too
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #45 (permalink)
Heliotropic_Rose
in the soil beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitiini View Post
lol I had no idea that The Nurse Who Loved Me was a cover song :O now when Im listening the Failure's version, I must say that the APC's version is slightly better but the original is a great song too
you're crazy, haha, seriously though I think Failure's version is way better, way more psychadellic, I love APC, but their version of "the nurse who loved me" is just ok, to me.

"another space song" is really good too, like I said earlier, just buy the Fantastic Planet album.

Yeah "stars" by Hum was their most popular, but that whole album rocks,

"suicide Machine" "the pod" "I hate it too" just to name a few of their best from that album........their other two albums are stellar as well
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #46 (permalink)
Oblique Rain

http://www.myspace.com/obliquerain
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
einars
Walking by a wire

I'd say FRAILTY.

www.myspace.com/frailtymetal
http://frailty.draugiem.lv

They're a bit heavier and with harsh vox but still much like Kata. However, a good band and one of Latvia's finest.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Catoya
~Catoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonic89 View Post
I'll have to say Katatonia!
Yeah me too
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #49 (permalink)
Antyman
En Ful Jävel

uhm, for example.. Forest of October by Opeth.. everytime it starts on my iPod I think it's something from Dance of December souls by Katatonia..
or else I'd say Kongh, they are swedish, right?
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
the mourner13
bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternityRites View Post
Wow this is good indeed and music is so similar to Katatonia...This is the closest one in this thread I guess...
I cut my lungs out, I need a fix,
You're my puzzle and my pieces fit
Cos everything and everyone is old.